[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fasting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Latvian Orthodox church.jpg (18KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
Latvian Orthodox church.jpg
18KB, 500x345px
I'm considering converting to Eastern Orthodoxy and fasting is a major part of it. Is it possible to be fit while going a day without eating? Are there any negative or positive effects from fasting?
>>
>>41293057

Fasting is great because it increases insulin sensitivity. The more insulin sensitive you are, the easier it is to build muscle and burn fat. Caveat is that only based water fasting counts, not hippy SJW tumblr retarded juice fasting.

What are eastern orthodox's rules on fasting?
>>
>>41293057
Convert to Islam, they have a mandatory month of fasting every year.
>>
>>41293107

I have considered observing Ramadan though I am not Muslim.
>>
>>41293057

Special Operations military people sometimes go days without eating and they're fitter than all of this board will ever be.
>>
holy shit im watching this episode right now.

those are some pretty fucking cool hats
>>
>>41293085
>>41293107
Orthodox have fasting 2 days a week, several weeks throughout the year, the longest one being the 6 months before Easter/Pascha.

As for rules, hey vary by sect and time of year http://www.abbamoses.com/fasting.html
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Fasting

for the average person, its limiting your intake and avoid certain foods every Wednesday and Friday in remembrance of the betrayal and Crucifixion. When communion is taken, all intake is to be avoided on the day until you receive communion. During certain times, full meals are taken only a few times a week. On the first week of Lent and During Holy week some try to go without food as much as possible.

>>41293139
do Orthodox fasting, It's actually fasting and not eating like a pig at night and early morning.
>>
>>41293258
>he longest one being the 6 months before Easter/Pascha.
*six weeks before easter, not months
>>
>>41293057
>>41293085
As practiced today, the "fasting" in Eastern Rite Orthodoxy is better described as "abstaining" from certain foods. Essentially avoiding anything with a spine (flesh, fowl, fish) as well as dairy products including eggs, avoiding liquor/beer/wine and avoiding olive oil. Shellfish (lobster, shrimp) etc. still allowed. While to keep the spirit of the fast, many Orthodox in the Eastern Rite will also eat less food but there is no hard/fast rule. Also, there are differences by culture, where the Russians don't consider beer to be an alcoholic beverage worth abstaining from, and cultures not dependent on olive oil may try to eliminate most oils as well. The main "fasting" days are Wednesday (the day of Christ's betrayal) and Friday (the day of the Crucifixion). There are several fasting seasons, the most famous of which is Lent, which is over 40 days of "fasting" although wine and oil are allowed on weekends in Lent.

The Orthodox of the Western Rite are a smaller community in the US, and their fasting rules are very similar to those of Traditional Catholics, and are imo more sensible and in the spirit of actual fasting overall. Basically they separate the "abstaining" from the "fasting" and consider them both. Abstaining is from flesh and fowl and liquor although moderate wine/beer and dairy are allowed, and pretty much the entire year the Wed and Fri are observed, except for Great Feasts. During Lent, one abstains on Monday as well. Fasting in the WR Orthodox (and the Traditional Catholics) is actual fasting. No breakfast, although water doesn't break the fast and usually coffee or a small amount of juice is not considered. Lunch is an average meal, and if not also in an abstaining day, meat may be had. Dinner is small, it should be 1/2 the size of lunch and regardless of whether the day is abstaining, dinner is abstaining, if on a fasting day.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 539x960px
>>41293057
OP why are you such a fag?
>convert to Eastern Orthodoxy which hates the fuck out of islam
>observe ramadan
>>
>>41293367
I'm OP, it was someone else who mentioned Ramadan
>>
>>41293367
Some people convert to benefit from the good side of religion... Some people convert because they wanted to have a good excuse to kill people.
Guess which category you belong to ?
>>
>>41293319
Also in WR Orthodox since Sunday is the Lord's Day and always a Feast, from First Vespers through Second Vespers is free from abstaining and fasting.

Lent is counted differently by the two traditions, but in roughly similar times, with the WR starting to fast two days later than the Eastern Rite but with ER "Lent" starting later than WR "Lent" (the Eastern tradition starts the fast before their Lent technically starts).

There are a few times in the year where fasting (by either the Eastern "abstaining" definition or by the Western "actually skipping meals" definition) is actually forbidden. The week of Pascha (named "Easter" for the month in which it usually falls) for instance, or in the Eastern tradition, the week after the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee.

~ am Orthodox, originally baptized into a lebanese Eastern Rite community but now a member of a Western Rite community.
>>
>so many rules! I feel like I'm at a Vegas strip club!
>>
>>41293471
That's why they have an Ordo calendar. You can just look at it and see what's up. ROCOR WR publishes one with a convenient F, A, or F/A on the days to fast and/or abstain. But really once you get the drift of it, it's easy to understand, and once you get into the seasons of the Liturgical Year it really keeps you in touch with it.

The Eastern Rite (esp in the US and in the mideast congregations) focus mainly on the abstinence and little is said or expressed about actually skipping meals etc., plus that long an abstinence from dairy really only makes sense for the marginally White or non-White people who can't process dairy anyways. Father laughed when my 3D suggested "so since we don't USE olive oil, should I avoid Crisco?" But it's a serious point, as taught their rules don't really make sense to White people in America, whereas the Western Rite rules both make sense here but also stress the actual reduction in food much more.

>>41293057
Now that you see it's actually closer (at least in WR or in Trad Cath) to so-called "IF" "Intermittent Fasting" you can get a better handle on it. Even if you go Eastern with some good diet choices you can get all your protein requirements and (maybe this is the influence of mohammedanism on their traditions) keep all your weight on. Personally I lost 1lb a week this Lent, which was my first keeping the WR rules.
>>
File: 3e2.jpg (15KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
3e2.jpg
15KB, 480x712px
>>41293057
>converting to a schismatic sect of smelly gypsies and Arabs

y tho, also say goodbye to your gains since you can't eat meat 1/2 the year. Just become Catholic OP.
>>
>>41294015
>>
>>41294046

They can't have dairy either, only option is a shit ton of seafood
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.