[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

inguinal hernia post-op recovery time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: hernia.jpg (283KB, 1000x631px) Image search: [Google]
hernia.jpg
283KB, 1000x631px
anyone here had inguinal hernia? i started weightlifting again after few years break at the start of february, got hernia roughly a month in. got operated on april 7 (laparoscopic, no complications). haven't done any workouts yet, but started cycling to work a week ago (NL here, that's how most people roll around these parts). no chronic pain to complain about.

how long should i take it easy? i used to base my workouts around compound, free weights exercises like squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and barbell row, but from what i can tell those ones especially are big no nos at least for a while because of the pressure on abdominal region.

should i just use machines like the noobs for a while? or do the compound ones with lower weights? i was at roughly 100kg squat, 110 kg deadlift, 60kg bench press 5x5 before the injury.

also i had hernia on the other side when i was 6 so it seems like a genetically weak spot for me. i don't want to get it again, but at the same time make gains.
>>
>>41264217
I just lift with mine. No surgery yet.
Hitting PRs on the reg.

Doc says as long as it doesn't appear to get worse, and there isn't pain associated with it, there is no NEED for treatment.

I swear to Santa, when I do stomach vacuums regularly, my hernia shrinks.

Am I saying deadlifts and stomach vacuums cure I inguinal hernias?!?
Yes.
>>
>>41264252
cool, i decided to go through with the op though as there was some occasional pain / regular uncomfortable feelings.

despite inguinal hernia operation being one of the most common surgeries, there is really a lack of info online, and also it is so fucking contradictory. some claim that you can go back to 100% a few weeks after the operation, others suggest taking a full year off. any more anons have some personal experiences to share?
>>
>>41264217
As a kid yeah. Sucked ass but I don't remember it because I was 5
>>
>>41264217
had the surgery in february and started working out again 1 1/2 months after
>>
>>41264942
nice. max weights or taking it easy? any pain?
>>
>>41264217
Yo I had mine done a few years ago, I can't remember how long it took me to get back into it, but I've since made a full recovery and lift much heavier than I did before the operation. I'm saying eventually you can have a good outcome.

But be careful in the early stages for god's sake...it needs some time to heal. If you use machine think about how certain exercises could increase intra abdominal pressure even though it's a machine. Or if the exercise uses muscles that attach near the incision site it could also risk pulling on th graft. For example...leg extensions are a quad exercises but your hip flexors tend to contract while you are doing it...and they attach close to the op site. So they are more risky in my opinion than a bicep curl or tricep pushdown machine.

Don't worry too much about losing gains because firstly you weren't that strong before you had the op (no offence intended) and, secondly, the studies I've looked at suggest it takes more time than people think to actually lose muscle mass when you take a break from lifting. Yes, you will 'lose' strength in the short term, but that is largely because of the nervous system becoming less coordinated. When you start lifting again your strength will come back quickly. Lastly, if you delay your recovery by getting back into heavier workouts too quickly, you could put yourself further behind than if you had waited for it to heal.

I would imagine 6 weeks or so might be a reasonable time to resume light lifting. When you return do it gradually, over several weeks, always pain free. It it hurts stop and go home. If it doesn't hurt, still stop and go home because it might hurt AFTER training, and you can gradually increase the weight next session. You could trial higher reps (eg 10 rep sets) for a short period when you resume training. You are still weak enough that you will hypertrophy on basically any program...then you could switch back to strength workouts after 6 weeks or so.
>>
>>41265429
thanks man, some solid advice right there. i'm thinking of doing at least some cardio and light lifting if i get OK from MD in the next few weeks. and i will stay at the higher rep ranges and try not to overdo it, stopping it when i feel any pain or discomfort. the main thing is that i really miss going to gym, i feel like there is a big gap in my daily / weekly routine and can't wait to get out there, and the gains in fitness / appearance are not no1 reason, though also important. i'm not too worried about losing my gains of 1 month either. lifting just makes me feel good y'know. but yeah i would not like to go through this ordeal again so i should just chill and take it easy i guess.
>>
i have an umbilical hernia, got it when i gained 40 lbs and was lifting heavy shit working at kmart . it didn't hurt but i noticed like weeks later my innie became an outie, im trying to work through it because the doctor said i need to lose weight before considering any operations, and it might even correct itself if i can rebuild the muscle there.
>>
>>41264217
>>41264942
Same, started light lifting 7 weeks later. Doctor said after 2 weeks I can lift 30 lbs, and to add 10 lbs per week, so at 7 weeks you can lift 80 lbs safely, I mostly just did running and upper body at first and ease into the rest.
>>
Lifting heavy is pointless and only impress faggots anyway.
>>
thanks all, gonna sleep now. gonna check archive tomorrow.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.