[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

switched to 5/3/1 after doing a SS routine but with 5sets, 5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1491065348384.jpg (3MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1491065348384.jpg
3MB, 1920x1920px
switched to 5/3/1 after doing a SS routine but with 5sets, 5 -12reps + accessories, making pretty good progress in the past few months.

my bench plateaud at 155, so I want to get to be comfortable with 185 within the next 3 months.

i just felt as though, today, for example, that this routine is shittier than the previous workout.

my ohp with dumbbells, is usually 100lbs x 10, 110 x 7-10, 120 x 7-10, and 130 x 5-7.

today was the first day of 5/3/1 with the ohp thrown in and i lost a lot of control and felt very uncomfortable, performing a 3 x 5 workout with literally my usual numbers. did i just have an off day, or could there be reasoning behind me switching from a low weight to my higher weights without the extra 5 reps for the two lower weights. the only plus side was that i went for about 9 reps with the 130, so i guess that's good?

please help, don't make fun of me or tell me to kms
>>
Did you even read the book?
Make sure you read BEYOND 531 as joker sets and first set last are essential. You're supposed to calculate your weights using 90% of your actual maxes.
I wouldn't recommend 531 for someone coming straight off of SS as the progress is slower than you could be making from weekly progression from programs like the Texas Method or Madcow.
>>
>>41258573
i was under the impression that is was calculating a 1rm, but only performing reps at 60, 70, 80; 65, 75, 85; and then 70, 85, 90. but still using the 100% 1 rm for the previous calculations. i did not read the book, only his webpage that outlines it.
>>
>>41259297
No take 90% of the 1rm then calculate the lifts you perform based on that 90%. Definitely read beyond 531 the pdf isn't hard to find on Google if you don't feel like shilling a few bucks.
>>
>>41257691
>>41259297
You're a fucking idiot. You must not have read shit. In all the stuff he's written it clearly says use 90% of your irm for calculations.
More importantly
Why the fuck are you doing 5/3/1???
You are weak as fuck and it's an upper level intermediate program that set you up for Monthly gains. You're only benching 155 you faking idiot. Either keep doing SS or do Texas method.
>>
>>41257691
try out nsuns 531 very high volume + weekly increases
>>
>>41261147
Garbage. It's nothing like actual 531. Plus if you're weak enough to still make weekly gains just do TM
>>
>>41261297
>dyel
>>
>>41261430
>dyel
>>
>>41259632
>You are weak as fuck and it's an upper level intermediate program that set you up for Monthly gains. You're only benching 155 you faking idiot. Either keep doing SS or do Texas method.
shit advice, get out.
>>
Use 5 pros with FSL and use dumbell assistance off of main lifts i.e. BP day with DB Front Squat and DB SLDL, aim for 50 reps/session for movement (iincludin the main lift) don't deload until 8-12 weeks or until you stall
>>
>>41257691
5/3/1 and all versions of it suck donkey balls
ripoff of the high school football program wendler did decades ago (that is BFS and is actually a good program but wendler shat it up)
wendler fucked it up so much that he had to "joker set" and "last set first" and "beyond" and "forever" because the original shit he did was so goddam awful

beginners should do SS by the Practical Programming 3rd Ed version until they stall as per the book (ripoffs of SS like "greyskull" and "stronglifts" are inferior but aren't terrible). If you're stalling at 155 bench you're either small, female, lack potential, or didn't really do the program

after you really do the program, by the book, pick whether you want looks or athleticism

looks go to lyle mcdonald's generic bulk or aworkoutroutine muscle builder split program

athletics go to practical programming for the texas method 4-day split (best for powerlifting), "nebraska model," the hybrid oly program, or the hlm for sports (also talked about on the ss forum look for the 8-5-3 stuff). OR do an actual hs or college sports program like the nebraska "husker power" or BFS (real deal not wendler abortion). OR do lsus weightlifting program very good for athletics

also READ THE FUCKING ACTUAL BOOKS they are so available on pirate sites for free
>>
>>41257691
Texas is supposed to be the better program to do after SS if your choice is between 531 and texas
>>
>>41263065
>nebraska model," the hybrid oly program,
Is this anywhere on the internet?
>>
>>41257691
stop doing 5/3/1, keep eating food and do a ppl or something cuz u are weak as fuck homie
>>
>>41263146
>>nebraska model," the hybrid oly program,
>Is this anywhere on the internet?
not that i know of, they are both in PPST3rd in the intermediate training section

"nebraska model" is very good for athletics it is a 4-day kinda texas method split with
> volume day for olympic variants done in sets of multiple reps
> volume day for powerlifting stuff
> day off
> intensity day for olympic variants
> optional day off here
> intensity day for powerlifts done in regular tm manner

hybrid oly program is also good for athletics but allows more time to work on oly lift form so better for that or "supertotal" training
> volume day for actual full olympic lifts done as multiple singles
> volume day for powerlifting stuff
> day off
> intensity day for actual full olympic lifts working to a daily max, followed by front squats
> day off
> intensity day for powerlifts done as multiple singles in stage i, done as sets in stage ii
>>
>>41257691

That album/soundtrack is incredible. Great to meditate on.
>>
>>41263275
Thank you. Its not a lot of work? Seems like one needs very good recovery for that kind of program to work.
>>
>>41263785
Yes it's a lot of work but you built up to it with SS. If you have problems recovering from four hard days a week there are two other schedules you can play with.

If you can workout every other day, including sat and sun, then do it, have a day off after every workout. Basically 7 normal cycles then takes 8 weeks.
> 1x2x3x4 x1x2x3x 4x1x2x3 x4x1x2x 3x4x1x2 x3x4x1x 2x3x4x1 x2x3x4x

If you can only workout 3x a week, then run through them in order. Then 3 normal cycles take up 4 weeks.
> 1x2x3xx 4x1x2xx 3x4x1xx 2x3x4xx
>>
>>41262295
Explain how it's shit advice considering it's based in fact
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.