[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can i build muscle on a calorie deficit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: bpaf.jpg (39KB, 515x482px) Image search: [Google]
bpaf.jpg
39KB, 515x482px
can i build muscle on a calorie deficit?
>>
gear
>>
Can I build a house by myself without doing any work?
>>
You can't gain weight, but you should be able to lose fat and build muscle. But it's hard as fuck and bulking then cutting is more manageable for most people.
>>
Only with newbie gains to any effect.
>>
>>41254102

This. Also if depends a bit on how much fat you are ok looking to get rid of.

There is a point that you can't think of building muscle but exercising to keep whatever you have.
>>
>>41254077
Yes if one of your body parts is significantly lacking or youre a beginner. Otherwise very rarely but no. Could happen but no.
>>
File: IMG_4374.jpg (33KB, 228x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4374.jpg
33KB, 228x300px
>>41254077
If you are new enough to ask this question, then probably yes.

It depends on your
-energy availability (aka how lean you are. A fatty on a 500kcal deficit is not in the same catabolic state a lean athlete is given the same deficit)
-threshold for adaptation (if you have little musculature, you are going to gain mich more muscle much faster and easier than a pro bodybuilder at his un-natty limit. So-called "noob gains")

If you are an intermediate lifter below 20% bodyfat (actual 20%, meaning most of your abs should be visible even if not defined), the gains on a deficit/maintenance caloric intake would be so slow and miniscule as to render it a completely ineffective way to build muscle.

But I literally got into lifting as a method of weightloss and I assure you in my first two years when i went from 260-160lb, I made the vast majority of my gains to date.

I would say 85% of my gains were made either during a cutting phase, or during a maintenance phase in between cutting (to wait for my loose skin to tighten, and to prevent/reduce thermogenic adaptation)

Don't just trust rando shitposters on 4chan, have a science, courtesy of Dr. Eric Helms (pic)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7CnPJcK6U
>>
>>41254084
Yeah, just spend money to hire workers
>>
>>41254339
How much you eat definitely changes recovery time.
>>
Muscle is matter and matter isnt created out of nowhere.

That being said, if you have no muscle at all, you can absolutely build some in a cut, but it will be pathetic and nothing worth of noticing
>>
File: SG-usda-grades.jpg (153KB, 565x380px) Image search: [Google]
SG-usda-grades.jpg
153KB, 565x380px
>>41254077
Yes, most definitely. You'll gain strength if you get fat but a lot will go away when you cut you'll gain muscle at the same speed assuming you consume the right ammount of protein.
>>
File: IMG_1391.jpg (2MB, 2939x2513px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1391.jpg
2MB, 2939x2513px
>>41254390
>How much you eat definitely changes recovery time
...yes.
I didn't say anything to the contrary.
>>41254407
At the time of this pic, 100% of my gains were during my weight loss phase
>>
>>41254427
>you can increase protein synthesis while decreasing anabolism
Not really, bro.
Only if your energy availability is high and your threshold for adaptation is low can you expect meaningful gains in a deficit
>>
>>41254428

Now imagine how much better you would look with a bulk
>>
>>41254461
That was me at 165, currently I am 193 and roughly the same bodyfat%, maybe slightly leaner.

It was still a drastic improvement from being a type II obese DYEL.
>>
>>41254483

And I am very happy for you and I meant it, but that took like 2 years right? Yesterday some dude posted some progress pics, about 4 or 6 months of progress, and he looked better, because he was on a bulk.

But seriously, amazing for you bro, most obese people would have give up
>>
>>41254077
If you are fat as shit, eat a lot of protein, and lift heavy as fuck? Yes.

Also take Creatine.
>>
>>41254461
>in my first two years when i went from 260-160lb

he would be fat as fuck if he bulked instead of cut, youre retarded
>>
>>41254514

Obviously bulking wasnt for him Im just saying that bulking will make more muscles faster
>>
>>41254428
you look like that iron fist actor
>>
>>41254349
>gear
>>
>>41254514
Not only that, I still am dealing with loose skin, and if I would have bulked I wouldn't be able to be even as lean as I am now, and who knows how many more stretch marks I could have.

Telling a fatty to bulk is as silly as telling a skelly to recomp or cut.

Get to sub 15%, then worry about bulking

Ottermode >>>>>>> builtfat
>>
>>41254428
Where is that? I haven't gone hiking in so long and it's fucking killing me.
>>
>>41254533
And I agree 100% with that.
Never said or implied otherwise.
Watch that jewtube vid linked earlier
>>
>>41254456
Yes really, bro. It's not impossible to maintain a state of positive protein synthesis while eating at a caloric defeciet.
>>
>>41254553
Matanuska valley, alaska. At the base of castle mountain looking towards king mountain.
Fucking miss that place
>>
>>41254565
It is only possible given an appropriate energy availability and adaptive threshold.

You cannot build muscle while catabolic.
You cannot lose fat while anabolic.
>>
>>41254077
If you are a beginner yes
If you aren't a beginner but your diet is absolutely perfect yes
If you are half assing your diet and lifting routine no
>>
>>41254593
>If you aren't a beginner but your diet is absolutely perfect yes
Even then, if you are close to your natty limit, and sub 15%, you can't even with picture perfect nutrition.

You can't get to contest conditions without losing musculature, regardless of nutrition
>>
>>41254428
iron fist actor /10
>>
>>41254427
Why is the beef that looks worse off than bacon graded as prime?
>>
>>41254812
fattier cuts tend to come from higher quality younger cattle
>>
>>41254545
How long does it typically take to go from 20% to ~15%?
>>
>>41254837
Depends on how many pounds of fat that 5% is, and obviously your deficit.
1% a month is pretty typical, tho
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.