[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a power rack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Gents, I'm looking to buy a power rack for my home gym. I built one last year out of 4x4 wood beams and it's worked great, but it's time to get real.

Pic related is what I found at Dick's sporting goods, but with a list price of $700, they can lick my taint, that's absurd. I've found some on Amazon that look like they'd fit the bill, but I wanted more opinions.

Of those who are part of the home gym mustard race, which rack did you choose, why, and was it a good value?

Any recommendations?
>>
Also, it must be rated to at least 700 lbs and I'd like it to have storage for weight plates. I have almost no space restrictions (garage) so as long as it's not stupid tall, it should fit.

Pull up bar would be nice

Basically the op pick is almost perfect but way overpriced.
>>
>>41207960

why not just keep going with the wood?
>>
Because it looks like shit and is much less stable than a steel one. Plus I have no idea what it's weight capacity would be
>>
Someone with a home gym, please answer
>>
>>41208002
>>41207960

Seems like $1 per pound of weight it can hold is a pretty good deal to me
>>
File: 81HNZiQmeZL._SL1500_.jpg (180KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81HNZiQmeZL._SL1500_.jpg
180KB, 1500x1500px
>>41207960

Assuming you're a burger, Amazon has like 6 different, but decent looking cages for sale. Some of them can hold the 700lbs you're looking for, and have free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-BD-41-Multi-Grip-Chin-Up/dp/B010FUFFWC/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1493170699&sr=8-19&keywords=power+rack

picture somewhat related.
>>
>>41207960
for $700 i'd get a rogue r3

for a cheap chinese rack look at titan or rep fitness

the build quality difference is worth paying extra for but a cheap rack will get the job done
>>
>>41207960

anything that uses 11 gauge 2x2 square tubing should be more than enough. 3x3 is better, but go for overall features rather than just the tube specs.

2" hole spacing is a must. If it's 4 or 6", skip it. better yet is 1" spacing through the bench range, but that means the bolts & pins have to be something less than 1" hardware.

Side holes are a must for me. Some cheap ones I've seen have none except for where the bolts are. It's easy enough to make your own storage pins; Rogue's are just 1.5" pipe welded to a flat. That's doable with little experience.

As for my setup.... Mine is in a spare room. Rogue Monster Lite S-2 stands. I have homemade storage pins at the bottom, and a really short pair on the inside where I won't hit them. The dual pullup bar is turned parallel to the floor and has a set of pipes attached beneath on clamps for neutral grip as well ( I can do non-neutral grip, but I run the risk of pissing off my shoulder)

Got it on one of their Matte Black Friday sales, which are only really good for free shipping. Fucking thing is solid. Once dropped 500+ on the spotter arms because I had a clamp that failed, threw my balance, and there went the bar off my back. Base price was cheap enough, so i only got the arms and some other small crap to get the shipping. If I had the room I'd half rack it, but with my limited space it does enough as is
>>
File: 61WXyX4oT1L._SL1200_.jpg (84KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61WXyX4oT1L._SL1200_.jpg
84KB, 1200x1200px
>>41209910
pic related looks great, just about everything for almost 200 less, thats awesome. definitely a contender for a self birthday purchase next week

>>41210265
sounds good, another contender. Rogue seems kind of expensive for the rack to comparable designs from other companies (I'm a college student with a job, that's why I'm being cheap) nut it looks to be well made, not china crap

appreciate the input guys, craigslist turned up nothing but literal garbage and scams
>>
>>41210385

My point on Rogue is that it is American made and those welds are dead solid. Titan is just a chinese made clone of Rogue's stuff, and I have seen some of their older stuff break welds.

Titan's quality is a lot better now, but you do get what you pay for. I lift alone in the evenings, so for me the money is just reassurance that as long as i don't suicide grip something I'll be alive in the morning
>>
>>41207960
What is a rack for?
>>
>>41210624
Newfag, how new are you?

Lurk moar
>>
>>41210658
Explain pls
>>
>>41210749
Google still works

www.google.com
>>
>>41207960
Don't fall for the rogue meme, it's decent but overpriced. There's some good shit on amazon for cheap, you just gotta look. Also, I have been in alot of gyms and seen alot of york barbell equipment that's old as shit but still good. York seems to last a long time but I don't hear much about any new products they make.
>>
>>41210749
its for everything
>>
>>41207960
I bought the half rack from dick's sporting goods. I like it. It was affordable.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.