[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ss/ general Post your questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 29

File: ss.jpg (143KB, 489x640px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
143KB, 489x640px
/ss/ general

Post your questions
>>
Is this true >>>/a/156374727
>>
>>41206843
Yes
>>
>>41206843
yeah, just use legs
>>
>>41206843
>what is overhead press
>>
>>41206800
>Post your questions

can you upload this and practical programming in epub? my job is being gay and blocks #bookz
>>
>>41206800
If I'm only able to increase weight every 2 weeks instead of every week is it time I switch to an intermediate program?
>>
>>41208421
You should be adding weight every session, not every week. If that's what you are doing you are already on intermediate programming
>>
>>41208421
How many months have you been doing SS?
Are you eating a caloric surplus?
How is your form?
Are you getting enough sleep?
>>
>>41206914
>>41207297
was about to join the thread but autists like u that dont even read the book keep me from talking to u fags.
>>
File: ruRQODJ.jpg (62KB, 388x445px) Image search: [Google]
ruRQODJ.jpg
62KB, 388x445px
>>41208491
Can someone pls confirm if this anon is being truthful? I don't know if I'm being meme'd or not.
>>41208558
>I've been lifting since April 2016. (for the record I didn't know what the fuck I was doing).
>Did a bro split until August in which I went from 134 lbs to 170 lbs because I was told to just eat as much as I can.
>Went on a cut to until last January (cut down to 145 lb)
>Clean bulking now at 500 cal surplus and did pplpplx to regain my lost muscle until mid march
>since mid march I decided to do SS to squeeze out the last of my linear gains before doing an intermediate program. (currently 155 lb)

As for my form its fine
My sleep is all over the place since I'm an EE major at a top tier uni, so some nights I might only sleep 1 or 2 hours if I have an 8 am class but I'll come back and take a 4 hour nap to try and get enough sleep. I try to shoot for 8 hours of sleep a day and on days I don't have 8 ams I get it. On days I do have 8 ams I'll take a 4-5 hour nap.
>>
>>41208649
So an EE major guy at a top tier uni can't even read the damn book?
>>
>>41208649
he's right on SS your signs of plateauing week to week signal that you're probably more suited to an intermediate program. you need more volume now to build strength than before.
>>
File: 23603371.jpg (50KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
23603371.jpg
50KB, 500x365px
>>41208702
I read the sticky.
And since I've already gotten most of my beginner gains I figured I'd just do SS to squeeze out the last bits of it
>>
File: 1484551204754.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
1484551204754.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>41208723
I see. Thanks for the reply anon
>>
>>41208737
stats?
>>
>>41208750
also IEEE represent.
>>
>>41206800
When I go ATG, am I supposed to lean forward like the picture, or stay mostly upright?
I feel like I'm throwing the weight onto my toes if I lean forward at all, so I try to stay upright.
>>
>>41208792
Don't go ATG, just reach proper depth
>>
>>41208809
different anon, but I've started to go ATG because I want to get into oly more. Is this unadvisable? opinions?
>>
>>41208777
I don't know my 1rm so here is the weight I use for reps
Oh and btw my squats I'm increasing weekly, its bench, OHP, diddies, and rows I'm increasing every 2 weeks.
3x5 squat (200 lb)
3x5 bench press (165 lb)
1x5 deadlift (255 lb)
3x5 ohp (105 lb)
3x5 pendlay rows (115 lb)
>>41208778
I missed the deadline to sign up for IEEE this year. I'm going to try to join next year
>>
>>41208833
Do ATG on your oly movements like cleans/front squats, and go to slightly below parallel on back squats

>>41208855
I don't know your height, but you should gain a minimum of 30 pounds of bodyweight and get your squat to 315, bench at least to 200, dead in the high 300s and press around 140
What this means is read the book do the program and eat more, you can easily progress daily
>>
>>41208908
Height I'm 5'8" or 5'9"
>you should gain a minimum of 30 pounds of bodyweight
on SS? I don't want to get fat. Also since I want to cut in the summer bulk in the winter I was going to start cutting in June for 2 or 3 months since I can only make the outline of my abs right now. I also read on the sticky once my 1rm for bench is 185 I should be good for an intermediate program.
>squat to 315, bench at least to 200, dead in the high 300s and press around 140
This is possible by increasing weight every session on SS?
>eat more
I don't want to dirty bulk again and gain a bunch of fat I'll have to lose.
But I will look for the book and take a look at it anyways. Can't hurt I guess
>>
Does sleeping too much have a negative impact on recovery or gains? I sleep 11 hours a night
>>
>>41208971
If you don't want to gain weight ditch SS and do something else, I don't know about cutting routines but i can tell you that doing SS without a big caloric surplus won't get very far, especially at your level.
Also 155 lbs at 5'9" is skinny as fuck, maybe put aside your aesthetics concerns for a while and build some muscle
>>
>>41209007
Hmm thanks for the advice. I'll try and find a pdf of SS then and read up on it when I get the time.
>>
Why are squats so hard. Rather deadlift
>>
Fatbro here. I wanna get strong, never really lifted before. Despise cardio. I'm 5'11" and totally accept the fact I'll never be skinny again as I'm 27 and lethargic as fuck. Hoping to maybe get to 225 and just be strong as fuck. Suggestions?
>>
>>41208975
Do you actually sleep consistently and do you need that sleep or do you stay in bed for 11 hours?

I find it hard to believe you sleep 11 hours straight
>>
>>41209423
Consistent. If I happen to wake up to take a piss I fall back a sleep immediately after without even thinking of staying awake. If I sleep less than 11 hours I feel like shit all day. If I had less self control I'd easily sleep 12+ hours but I need to get shit done. I dont know what's wrong with me but I fucking love sleeping thats for sure.
>>
>>41209415
Read SS, do the program as written

>>41209460
You will make great gains then, just remember to eat and lift
>>
>>41209415
I'm 280 now.
>>
>>41209007
Whats the point of stuffing your face if once you're over the 500 cal surplus all the extra calories will just be turning into fat?
>>
>>41209473
I'm 280 now. What is SS? What is a good site?
>>
>>41209500
read the sticky, there are links to a decent SS variation, and plenty of straightforward info on dieting, mindset, etc.
>>
>>41209415

Holy fuck you are me. Minus the despising cardio, I've actually grown to love it. Started basic about 4 weeks ago, grabbed a friend who was power lifting when he was a kid and a teen/mid 20s to show me form and get me used to program and gym life.

My advice is legit get a mentor to help with form, use a diary to help keep track of how much you eat (despite you being fat, get ready to eat more and better than you ever had), and remember to listen to your body.

It's a process and a life changing movement you are thinking of undertaking but one that I, being in a similar physical state and of similar goals, love and am thankful I took this path.
>>
File: 100301_front.jpg (135KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
100301_front.jpg
135KB, 480x640px
>>41209491
You don't have your fact straight, on SS you are not supposed to do one of those bullshit "lean bullk", you are supposed to eat big, if you are a beginner you will put on a lot of mass, of course some will be fat but most will be muscle, that's the price to pay for such growth. On a lean bulk with a small surplus you won't even get near the gains ss can give you, and that's fine, if you want to keep your visible abs.
And no you won't look like pic related, if you get too fat for your liking just stop eating

>>41209500
starting strength, it's a book, you will find the program in there, if you want more info a good site will be the starting strength forums
>>
Did ss for 3 months and hit 20% bf, then did 4 day TM for 5 months at 2300 cal/day but my bf & weight stayed the same and my lifts are only up 5-15lbs. What do I do?
>>
>>41209692
On TM you should gain at least 1lb a week to drive progress, eat more
>>
>>41209564
That's good to hear. What made you like cardio?
>>
>>41209725

It will sound corny, but I imagine I am running from my past self and into the arms of what I am becoming. The stronger, healthier, more controlled me.
>>
I'm 5'8 and 119 lbs at 3.4% bf as measured by an electronic impedance machine. I know they're not that accurate but my doctor didn't have a caliper. Anyway if i'm going to be doing SS, should i just say fuck anything related to clean eating because it's not like my body could do without some adipose tissue or what? Also for those curious as to why I am dangerously thin, I fast when i'm stressed and have had a lot of mental issues come up recently.
>>
>>41208649
What weights are you stalling on? 155lbs is quite light if you're really trying to get strength up.
>>
>>41208855
Jesus. You're weak like a kitten.

1. Buy the book
2. Eat hard
3. Lift Heavy.

You shouldn't have to stop SS until you're squatting around 300lbs.
>>
>>41209692
what are your accessories?
>>
>>41210102
just because you're thin does not mean you have low BF%. lots of thin people come to the clinic I work with hypertension, heart disease and diabetes. unless veins are popping everywhere on your body, you are not 3%.

as to your question, yes. eat more unless you have a valid health concern. you will never progress at 119lbs BW
>>
>>41210143
The only thing I'm slightly stalling on is bench, but even there I'm still making progression.
And I don't want to get fat because when I did that the first time I get stretch marks, and I learned that the fatter you get the more fat cells your body builds, and you can't get rid of those fat cells without surgery.
>>41210175
I found a pdf of the book online, and as for eating hard I'm doing a clean bulk of 500 cal surplus like the sticky says, but I'm not going to dirty bulk again. I'm happy with making slower gains if it means preventing more stretch marks, and going on a big cut again which will come with a dirty bulk can fuck up my hormones and metabolism.
>>
>>41209828
That isn't such a bad thought.
>>
>>41210202
Pull up, LTE, lat pulls
>>
/fat/ here looking to fix it. I've been doing some reading and obviously decided to start with starting strength.
So naturally I have a few retarded questions pls no too much bully.
Since I'm fat and would like to loose weight is there a recommended strategy? Everything I've read says the you typically have to eat extra in order to take advantage of ss. Is this still true for a fatty?
Also I've never really done any lifting before and I don't want to look too stupid so how do I know approximately how much weight to start out with for each lift? And how do I ensure that I didn't choose a weight too high to complete all of my sets other than doing it and potentially failing.
Finally this feels like the dumbest of all of them....I've read many places that at the start it's just best to do exactly the routine as its written without anything else. But when I think about that I'm having a hard time believing I should go into the gym do 3 exercises a few times and just leave. Is there anything else recommended for the start or literally just do the 3 ss exercises and leave?
I've also read or maybe misinterpreted that on the off days you should give your body a chance to take a break and not work out. Does that mean not lift? I started running with the c25k program last week and planned on running on the off days.
I'm 6'1" 260lbs. My main goal is eventually get down into the 210-220 range.
>>
>>41210388
Sorry about the book. I'm going to the gym regardless tomorrow just hoping I can minimize the spaghetti and actually do this the right way.
>>
what's a good intermediate program for strength?
>>
>>41210238
My bodyfat being LOW wasn't a question. It's a fact that was told to me by multiple doctors. Exact percentage was the only thing in question there. It's around 3-4 percent.

Also, you have failed to even answer the question I asked, which was whether i should bother eating clean or throw that shit out the window.
>>
>>41210388
>>41210388
>>41210388
>>41210388
>>41210388

watch this: your answer is there in the first 20-30 mins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3KtElTUObc
>>
>>41209180
It's difficult to balance right. You need to keep squatting.

It's take me over 2 months of squatting 3 times a week to finally get some acceptable form.
>>
How do I know when to cut? DYEL skellyman/slightly skinnyfat.

DL 240
SQ 215
BP 135
OHP 80
>>
How do I stop my knees from sliding forward while I approach the bottom of the squat?
>>
I can't keep increasing my Press. I'm at 3x5 95 and I can barely do that. What do?
>>
>>41206800
Is it ok to add weight every 2nd workout?
Been doing it for like 4 months
>>
>>41211582
Put 100 lbs on all your lifts and then you'll be ready
>>
>>41211769
THANK YOU. I've been asking all over /fit/ and you're the first person to respond.
>>
>>41206843
Core and wrist/hand strength are the most important for functional strength. Great strength in those fields is strength itself.
>>
>>41206843
"functional strength" is a meaningless buzzword

Do you use your arms a lot? If yes, then bis and tris are important
>>
>>41206800
I'm reading through Practical Programming and It is telling me that at my now that I'm slowing down on my squats and deadlifts that I should do back extensions on my chin up days, however, it does not tell me how many reps or sets of back extensions to do.

Is 3x10 an acceptable number to do while increasing weights every other workout, much like for chin-ups?
>>
>>41212052
Back Ext.: do 3x10. But I do 5x10 TM-style, with pyramid weight.

For Chinups, do strict form and do 3xF.
When you can do 10-12 reps , start adding weight and aim for failure at 5 reps.
>>
>>41210387
I would add tri pulldowns. Its easy to progress with good carryovers. Tricep dips were too hard for me
>>
>>41212101
Cool, thanks a bunch.
>>
>>41212138
theyre useless.

do dips instead, a great compound exercise that carries over Press and Bench.
Crack your head until you master proper form and depth. And follow same progression as chinups here. >>41212101
>>
Starting to stall on my lifts

ohp 135
bench 195
squat 225
dead 335

Should i keep going or switch to a ppl?
>>
Fatty here, whats the pros and cons of SS vs SL? Also should I accept the stall while eating at a cal deficit because I don't want to put anymore weight on?
>>
I stall on OHP (47.5kg), Bench (55kg) and squat (85kg) since 2 weeks - been on the program for 3 months with the first month learning to do the lifts correctly. Should I put in some volume training or go on and eat more? BW is 93kg.
>>
>>41212413
Did you already try deloading 10% and working back up?
>>
>>41206800
I'm weak to the point I can't even handle the bar alone, what should I do
>>
>>41212516
Is this true for all of the following exercises or some of them?

Overhead Press
Bench Press
Squats
Deadlifts
>>
>>41212307
Do SS. Memes aside, it's the superior routine if you are willing to take the time to learn the power cleans later (not as scary or as complicated as they seem). Plus if you're really fat the doing barbell rows will be extra difficult and painful on your lower back (Source: former fatty that started with SL and swapped to SS). Buy the book and read it.

Also, buy and read Practical Programming, they have a section on doing SS for overweight people.
>>
>>41212162
well it worked for me. initially tried tri dips but they hurt like hell

i think any additional tri/chest accessory will help if you havent had any, but I dont know the exact weightage of the different accessories in improving the bench.

>>41212307
5x5 will cause you to plateau fast, take longer time to finish, and SS is better written. if you want a greater upper body emphasis GSLP is a great alternative which was derived from SS.

>>41212516
does you gym have kids/women's barbell? use those. otherwise, maybe try BB/machines/smith. or if you want to save money, just practice body weight routines first (pushups, squat, planks etc)
>>
>>41212486

not really, tried some volume training, but I'll deload, good thought
>>
>>41212604
Ok. Well if you end up stalling on the same weight again after deloading I have some suggestions for you in the future.

Option A: swap the 3x5 for a 3x3.

Option B: do your first working set of 1x5 at the normal weight, then do the next 2x5 sets at 90%.

Both have pros and cons, but they will help if you are genuinely stalled on an exercise. You can also combine them later on, but be sure to exhaust all the gains you can out of one these methods before you add the other on top of it.
>>
>>41212637

Thanks, great advice. I've been looking at Wendler 5/3/1 as well. Do you think this would be a better choice than staying on SS - or should go for 3x3 etc. until I stall again?
>>
>>41206800
Is it good idea to do additional back off set 1x8 in upper body presses?
>>
>>41209594
Telling people to dirty bulk is fucking retarded
>>
>>41212737
I'd say milk SS for the gains you can possibly get out of it through the "advanced novice" stage. Most people are usually on SS for about a year and a half when using all the proper methods to get all they can out of it.

That's not to say 5/3/1 sucks (quite the opposite, it's an excellent intermediate program), it's just you want to get as much novice gains as you can out of a novice program, as intermediate gains are abysmally slower by their very nature.

I'd also recommend you buy Practical Programming as it has all the tips I gave you and more for milking the hell out of SS as well as when and what to move on to for intermediate workouts.
>>
>>41206800
>2017
>still doing SS

kek
>>
>>41212918
No one should be doing SS that long unless you are lifting for nothing but pure strength. You would be fat as fuck by the end of that.
>>
>>41206843
Of course not. You need them for a lot of things. But it's important to think of them in the context of the whole body. There's no movement in barbell training or real life where either your biceps or triceps are the only - or even the major - force producer. Even curls use the shoulders.

Make them stronger because they need to be strong to act as support/stabilisers for other muscle groups.
>>
>>41212953
>unless you are lifting for nothing but pure strength
That's the point of the program.

>you would be fat as fuck by the end of that.
You probably would be if you did it exactly as Rippetoe suggests you do it by eating 4000-6000 calories a day while doing the program, but most don't. Most don't read the book either for that matter.
>>
>>41208649
What are your lifts, and what's your height? You're almost certainly not eating enough to run SS unless you're like five two, and as it stands YNDTP anyway.
>>
>>41212992
The problem is that everyone tells people to do SS no matter what their goal is. The main guy posting throughout this entire thread has said he wants to cut through the summer but all anyone is recommending him is SS. If you want lift for aesthetics + strength I would recommend doing SS for at most 4-6 months (if you are eating, sleeping, and lifting right).
>>
File: start lifting weights.jpg (335KB, 618x717px) Image search: [Google]
start lifting weights.jpg
335KB, 618x717px
I fucked up - did PPL only 3 times a week for 6 months (before realizing it was supposed to be 6 times a week).

I'm now doing SL 5x5, feel much better now!

Anybody have any anecdotes or before/after with doing StrongLifts for a long time? How do I avoid T-REX mode?
>>
>>41213002
see >>41208971
and >>41208855
>>
>>41213123
It really depends on your body. I look great doing SL, have dont it for half a year but was athletic beforehand. Some people look like utter shit. My upper body really grew, neck, shoulders, traps, my arms are juicy. Bench is kinda shit with 5x5, might wanna change that up as soon as you stall. More volume and incline bench.

Also, do chinups, core exercises, farmer's walks, neck training, biceps if you feel the need to.
>>
File: db2.gif (263KB, 600x903px) Image search: [Google]
db2.gif
263KB, 600x903px
>>41212953
>pure strength
>>
>>41206800
I'm here for any noobs that feel SS might not work. Spoiler it does.
I started out with the 20kg bar for bench and ohp and 40kg for squat and deadlift.

I was cutting because I was around 25% bf before. My stats after 6 months of very slow cutting were
OHP 5x57.5kg
Bench 5x87.5kg
Squat 5x115kg
Deadlift 5x140kg

There is only a single problem with SS, your arms get neglected hard, even if you do chinups, which I did weighted and got to a 3x5x100kg chinup including my bodyweight.

My standard addition would be adding 3x10 biceps work twice a week and 3x10 triceps works once a week. I noticed my triceps were my limiting factor in my presses and added lying triceps extensions during my bulk now on the TM. I feel like I've already seen improvements in stability and strength in my arms during my presses.
>>
File: 000_1492843135.png (53KB, 554x198px) Image search: [Google]
000_1492843135.png
53KB, 554x198px
>>41212918
even under practical programming rip delineates novice phase to last from 3-9 months depending on trainee background. 18 months for linear programming is insane and unrealistic
>>
>>41213187
Oh also facepulls 1-3x20 at the end of every training session.
>>
>>41213174
Nice, I always do push ups, dips, or pull ups till failure after my SL routine.

Do you recommend I get a belt?

I alreayd use wrist straps for deadlifts coz after 1 rep of 3 plates my grip turns to shit and the barbell slips. Should I get rid of them?
>>
>>41212737
>>41212918
Why are you giving advice?
Without being your coach it's hard to say when someone in particular is supposed to move on to the intermediate programs like TM or similar, with weekly increases. 5/3/1 though, is not an intermediate program. With monthly increases it's very much an advanced program and it's very low volume. You need to add the volume yourself through frist-set-last, joker sets and assistance exercises or templates like BBB.
>>
>>41213216
not him but, it depends on what you want

I would rather use chalk/straps than go for alternate grip or hook grip. I am not competing for anything, so who cares. grip strength can be easily amended by less demanding exercises anyway. belt is unnecessary for BBing, but it will definitely improve stat.
>>
>>41213050
That guy's problem is that he isn't going to look decent at all if he only weighs 155 and wants to 'lean down.' What the fuck is there to lean down to? People only look good at low body fat if they have some muscular weight to begin with.
>>
>>41206800
Fatass here, 270lbs, formerly 300lbs. Been doing jogging and biking to drop the pounds, as well as eating 500kcals below my need.

Started reading SS in order to start lifting, and noticed it recommends eating a surplus for muscle gains. I don't mind gains, but I'm afraid it'll slow down my weight loss process. I'm trying to lose the weight in order to be accepted in the military, and the sooner the better. Should I keep my deficit, or eat the surplus?
>>
>>41213416
SS has a sample diet for a fatass doing the program. Basically it's pseudo paleo, high protein, moderate fat, very few carbs aside from a gartorade right before workouts.

As a novice who's overweight you'll be able to gain strength while losing fat. Take advantage of that, but remember: your weight will stay the same for a while, even as you get leaner, and towards the end of the program you'll start to gain weight as your muscular weight gain outpaces fat loss.
>>
ANNOUNCEMENT:

For those arguing about nutrition and diet and fatsos if you do SS, etc.

Rip himself said that once you're well on course with SS you shouldn't eat as much as going beyond 20%bf and as little as going below 10%bf. The range 10-20% is optimal because less than that you can't actually put up the necessary strength required to advance in the program; and more than that range it's pointless because you just get uselessly fat with no real advantage.

Exception::::
Those who are already quite overweight when they start SS (>20%) are the only ones who are allowed to try the program at a caloric deficit first and they'll still gain muscles and weight. But that's only for the very first few months of the "novice effect". In two months they should be on par with everybody else.
>>
What do you think about 'Practical Programming Novice Program' routine?

Monday:
Squat 3x5
Bench Press/Overhead Press 3x5 (alternating)
Chin-Ups 3xF

Wednesday:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Friday:
Squat 3x5
Pull-Ups 3xF

Also my Overhead Press stalled at 110lbs and I have already deloaded twice by 10% and it still stuck at that number. The gym I go to smallest plates are 2.5lbs plates. Why? I don't know. Other than purchasing microplates, are there any other ways to assist this problem? Some assistance exercises to help me or going AMRAP during last set of previous workload? I'm really frustrated about this problem. Thanks.
>>
>>41214013
Thats just a version of ss.
Just do the classic thing.

You gotta buy fractional plates.
After you reduce twice, move down to 3x3 , see if it goes up.

Btw Benching higher weights should also drive your OHP up.
>>
>>41212800
bump this
>>
>>41214067
The Program doesn't say any such thing.
Hence, you don't just randomly change the Program.
>>
>>41206843
Biceps are the most important muscle for manual labor
>>
File: 1492580562641.jpg (107KB, 810x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492580562641.jpg
107KB, 810x960px
What's better for building bench press strength: 3x5 or 5x5?

I'm at 75kg (165lbs) for 5x5 and I feel like my recovery takes too long
>>
Former anorexic here.
I've been gaining in recovery for the last two years but I've gotten really fat. I'm ready to lose weight again but this time I intend to build muscle, not lose.

I really want to start lifting. I love and am good at strictly regimented control. I want to be strong.

Unfortunately I was severely underweight with very little muscle mass. I've gained a 60 lbs but since I did no weight training it has been mostly fat. I want to change this body before hating it drives me back to bone dreams. I could have a really nice "thicc" type of body if I was fit.

Is ss a good option for me if I am very weak?
>>
>>41214013
Push press and good core works will work somewhat, but without microplates you will never harvest your max from linear progression.

>>41214225
3x5. I believe theres a section of PP that covers the effect of different rep schemes on strength, hypertrophy and endurance.
>>
>>41214225

stick to 3x5.
i assume youre' on SS, since you post here.

you'll have plenty of chance to challenge yourself with 5x5 during Texas Method Volume Day after SS.

>>41214312
Yes, just do GOMAD and be ready to eat 3000-4000k++ calories a day at the beginning at very least for the first month.
>>
>>41214355
I'm jumping ship coming from stronglifts after stalling. Although the 3x5 recommendation is in there as well
>>
>>41214013
I did the PP novice routine and regret it. It's simply not as effective at building your pulling strength as SS is, and I feel I wasted a lot of time. You do chins on SS anyway, so basically the only difference is you pull less often. Not a very good idea.

You NEED microplates to do SS. The press is the first to suffer, but your bench will follow. Also you probably need to eat more.
>>
>>41206843
>what are pull ups
>>
>>41214388
>the PP novice routine
its not a PP routine, it's just SS!

>>41214385
good, SL sucks. you'll feel SS works much better.
Anyway, you never do anything 5x5 on SS.

Fun fact: Once you deload twice on a lift in SL, you have to turn that lift into a 3x5..... and there you have SS.
SL is bullshit.
>>
>>41214422
Just as I said in my post the 3x5 turns the program into SS. Reg Park also uses the 3x5 format (disguised as a 5x5, but he uses two sets to ramp up). It makes sense that the muscles can't recover properly after a while because the volume is too much.

I'm keeping the barbell rows though!
>>
>>41214451
>I'm keeping the barbell rows though!
then YNDTP!!

lose the rows, man up and start cleaning.

I swear they're there because of proper reasons..
It's not a meme when The Book says they will help you your squat and deadlift.
They really help, unlike the rows.
>>
>>41211584
TUBOW

>>41211760
Microload

>>41211760
No, start microloading

>>41212242
Keep going, females stall with those numbers

>>41212413
Microload

>>41212516
Lighter bar

>>41212800
>>41214067
Not really, just progress on 3x5

>>41212953
Yeah, maybe stop eating so much if you don't want to get fat?

>>41213123
SL is shit, read SS and do that

>>41213050
He wants to cut at 155 lbs 5'9", he will look like a skinny shit anyway
>>
>>41211540
Thanks senpai. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I'll get on it.
>>
>>41214355
>Yes, just do GOMAD and be ready to eat 3000-4000k++ calories a day at the beginning at very least for the first month.
I can't do that. I need to be at a deficit again. Only 500 calories. I am willing to bulk to gain muscle but I couldn't do it now. If I gain any more weight I'll be officially overweight. I can't. This is already killing me.
>>
>>41214574
What do you do for your back if not rows?
>>
>>41214596
pretty sure everything in SS works back except bench
>>
>>41214592
Then you are not a "former" anorexic and you should be getting help, also height/weight?
>>
>>41214596
Chins, deads, presses, squats, and cleans all work the back whether you think they do or not.

Cleans are best DL accessory because they train you to recruit maximum force quickly which becomes essential for the deadlift as it gets heavier.
>>
>>41214629
>>41214610
but why wouldn't I do rows
>>
>>41214587
let me know if it helps.

>>41214592
your current age weight and height?
how long been running SS for?
i bet my balls you have no need to cut anything.

>>41214596
everything else. even the squat is a great back builder.
also when you do chinups with PROPER form (full extension of your arms at the bottom of the movement), that's a good replacement for rows in and of itself.

Also, unlike that >>41214610
says, Bench is a massive upper back exercise. When you do it with proper form, you'll see your upper back widen and explode. Seriously bench press is a monster for upper body. All the novices saying that bench sucks say so because they use shit form and will stall at 60kg.
>>
>>41214688
Because it lengthens your workout,
messes up with your overall recovery,
disrupts your focus from the main 5 lifts,
and it's redundant once you have all those other exercises for SS purposes.

Once you move on to intermediate routine, you may consider adding it as an ancillary exercise for whatever the hell goal you have.
>>
>>41214688
Do them if you want, if you are doing chins you don't really need them.
They are not a replacement for cleans, cleans are used to get a break from heavy deadlifts while still pulling
>>
>>41214716
How do I do cleans if my hands just don't mechanically go to the front squat position
>>
>>41214451
>>41214596
>>41214688

>it's a SS General becomes an 'I dont want to do power cleans thread' episode.

oh my, all the damn times.
feels like Power Cleans are the ugly girl at the ball in this board.
>>
>>41214688
there's a clause in PP on circumstances in which power clean might not be suitable. do you have legit reasons why you dont want to do them? if you want aesthetics as soon as you can, you are asking in the wrong thread.
>>
>>41214724
watch all the videos that explain that to you and most importantly read the Power Clean chapter from The Book. It discusses flexibility issues as well.

Myself, I couldn't bend my hands like that either and not even my forearms would get into the required horizontal rack position the first time i tried. Now they go automatically.
>>
>>41214724
With the empty bar it's hard to achieve a good front rack position, but once the weight pushes your hand down in it it gets pretty easy, I suggest you read the chapter about cleans in SS
Unless you are 40+ years old you will have no problems doing cleans
>>
>>41214743
No he doesn't:
- he's not an old person with irremediable flexibility issues;
- he's not had a serious injury that caused irremediable flexibility issues.

As such, he doesn't get any demographic exemption for PCs
>>
>>41214738
I'd totally take power cleans out for a nice meal and a show then fuck them silly.

>>41214688
Because you simply don't need to. You work all the muscles rows work with the other exercises, rows can't be progressed in the same way as the main lifts (it's not possible to maintain workable form at heavy weights even if you are very strong) and they're generally a waste of time for novices (as are most assistance/ancillary exercises aside from chin ups and possibly curls.)
>>
>>41206800
So is this basically Stupid Questions - /fit/ Edition?

If so, is using an exercise ball to gradually angle your lower torso to increase the difficulty level of pushups and the weight put on your upper torso a functional method, or am I going to cripple myself?
>>
>>41215097
It's a dumb idea, just do SS
>>
>>41208421
No. Once you stall for 3 workouts, deload, and work your way back up. If you can't progress after 2 deloads, you are done and it's time for intermediate program.
>>
>>41214706
This is bs. Barbell rows compliment your bench press by working the muscles that you neglect with bench it is also great to do before bench to avoid injuries.
This is why I won't do starting strength first it requires you to become fat and more belly fat means more estrogen also the cult like behaviour and rippletits arrogance.
>>
>>41215186
This is a guy who thinks he know lots of shit, meanwhile he didn't even read the book and has no idea how SS works. And he still posts shit like this
>>
>>41215257
Why do you have to cultishly follow exactly those lifts I'll do glute ham raises dips and barbell rows thank you very much.
Also this whole bulking excessively and then cutting just fucks up your testosterone levels guaranteed.
>>
>>41215283
Read the book
>>
>>41215186
you are accusing people of cultist behavior because they dont agree with your broscience? fuck outta here
>>
>>41215283
Book literally tells you how to do all three of those exercises and gives you a good idea of why you'd want to, along with the very real limitations that prevent their being included in the novice program.

You're a tool. Read the book and you might be slightly less of a tool.
>>
Can't do a single pushup.. Any weight training I could do to help with this?
>>
>>41215449
Also, would steroids help? Not thinking long term use, just very short term like once
>>
>>41215449
>>41215458
Do SS but start with a lighter bar, there are woman bar that weight 15kg or even some 10kg bar. You can bench with those and incrementally progress over time
Of course steroid will help, a lot, but chances are you don't know how to use them
>>
>>41215449
>>41215458
Bench Press
Any anterior deltoid, pectoral, tricep work
>>
>>41215481
>>41215477
Thanks I'll try this... So do I go 5x5?
>>
>>41215489
Read the book called "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training" once you are done you will know everything you need
>>
>>41215186
>>41215283
wewlad.
get the fuck out of here with all that broscience. why are you even posting in SS General if you're not even committing to following the damn program?
Also, just to be clear, you would never do a support exercise like rows before a main exercise such as bench!! There's no such thing in any routine.

>>41215449
push up? wtf are you asking, that's not even part of SS.

>>41215458
SS is a program for novices who need to start gaining strength from scratch. /fraud/ is not an option - it defeats the whole purpose.

>>41215489
Not sure if bait or troll or real.
>>
>>41215526
What if i do ss while on roids, how would that work??
>>
>>41215541
who the fuck knows
go to /fraud/ ask them. maybe somebody really did something like that.
>>
Shit nigga how the fuck do I squat properly

I've gotten all other lifts down to very good form but the goddamn squat keeps eluding me what the fuck am I doing wrong

What piece of arcane knowledge did I overlook
>>
>>41215701
It's the hardest lift for a reason, post a video
>>
>>41215526
I got that idea from here skip to 9 min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr-JtlmtVc&t=415s
>>
Does this look worth ?
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/for/6094192068.html
>>
>>41215718
My phone is too tight for memory so I have to delete form videos after I take them

I'll be back in maybe 3-4 hours with one if I still feel like shit after gym today.
>>
>>41215739
Go for it, the bar is probably bent but it's still a good price for all that stuff
>>
>>41208855
>no power cleans
sorry to break this to you, but you're not doing starting strength
>>
>>41215803
What makes you say that?
Also how long could a set like this last me assuming I'm just starting?
>>
>>41215833
It literally looks bent.
The power rack and the barbell are items of concern, enquire about the specs brand etc. A lot of information online on how to judge them
>>
>>41206800

couple of things:

One, my super swole friend told me to do 100 reps of squeezin' a tennis ball for each finger/100 for the whole hand every day to help with grip strength. Is this a good idea?

Two, my body is fucked in the sense that my left shoulder seems to be higher up or bigger, which tilts the bar one way when squatting. Should I do more hypertrophy training for my right side to try to fix it?

Three, I think I have a pretty good posture so it isn't a posture issue, but my lower backs hurts very much when I walk uphill. Not discomfort, but actual pain. This is exacerbated when doing certain exercises like deadlifts and squats, if I do many reps. What gives?
>>
>>41215833
Used bar are almost always bent, if you do SS as written you will need to buy more weight after five or six months, depending on where you start
>>
>>41214612
I meant the caloric deficit will only be 500 calories. I did do a 500 calorie max when I was anorexic but I am aiming for a healthier weight loss.

I'm 5'4" at 148.5 lbs as of this morning. I can't gain any more. I need to cut before I can do that. Maybe just until 115/120. I can get down to 110 before I'm underweight for my height. It was a big struggle for me when I first got up to that number.

>>41214693
>your current age weight and height?
See above for weight and height. I'm 26 years old.
>how long been running SS for?
I haven't begun. I'm only now researching and setting my goals on strength as an alternative to my current, haes body acceptance-built "healthy" frame (I live in a hipster town and my therapists have all been femenists, unfortunately) or my idealized bone chic goals of past. Frailty and weakness were part of the reward of being tiny before. Now that I am a fuller figured person I see no benefits. Strength could be that and the training could satisfy my need for that strict control and regimen. I'd like to try. I am honestly very afraid. I am still very weak. Only my old body is stuck inside a fat suit built by food, not actual health.
>>
>>41215859
It's a shit idea, just use alternate grip or hook, the bar won't slip

Pics of the bar on your shoulder, otherwise we can't help, don't do one sided training, it will make things worse

If you think your form is good it's probably just a pump, happens frequently to beginner, spinal erectors get bigger very fast when you start training heavy squats and deads
>>
>>41215859
no, build a wrist roller instead
not for a beginner, just do barbell shoulder exercises, it will eventually catch up. as for the squat instability, just adjust your position more to one side. unless you're telling me the tilt is >10 degree in which case that's be interesting to see.
this is common, usually because the lifter is not accustomed to using the glutes thus putting more strain on the lower back. glute activation can be helped/visualized by exercises like RDL or bridge
>>
>>41215739
>>41215859
this is not QTDDTOT.

>>41215895
whats your current bf%?
btw you can't do SS with that mindset. SS doesn't make you aesthetic or whatever. It makes you strong whatever it takes. I think you're in the wrong place.

>>41215701
read the long chapter on The Book.
I read it multiple times and yet every time I find a detail that I hadn't noticed before.
If you grasp the main points and cues you should be a on a good starting point.
>>
>>41215903

A pump? like... The "ez betar dan caminge in a wuman" kind of pump? Would that make walking uphill painfull? IDK man I'll follow your advice but my grip strength (or technique) is shit; I struggle to put the clips on the bars

>>41215919

It's a noticeable, definite tilt. My friend/dad/a trainer at the gym all looked at my back and said "yeah one side is bigger than the other, that's why you're lifting it with your left shoulder first". Perhaps this sort of thing requires physiotherapy, I don't know

What do you mean by activating my glutes? you mean when I walk uphill? Or when I exercise? because my back is sore as fuck now when walking uphill too, which isn't really an exercise. I looked this up on google and it said something about nerves becoming strangled or whatever but I don't know what to think.
>>
>>41215974

ah ok sorry, thought it'd be appropriate to post here because I've been doing SS and these might all be SS related issues/people might have had experience dealing with this
>>
>>41215982
do the low bar squat then since bar position is below the delts.
activating your glutes as in hip drive, squeezing your glute to push the bar up when you squat. the condition you googled is probably nerve entrapment. either way unless the pain is severe (interfering sleep, work), and constantly present it is unlikely to be serious. take time off of lower body exercises until the pain subside before resuming training.
>>
>>41215895
Wait are you a female? If so 150 lbs is a good weight for you

>>41215982
Your back is sore because the erectors growth potential is so fast that they are stretching the fascia around them, it will go away eventually
If you want help with your bigger side post a pic of the bar on your back
>>
>>41216049

K I'm going to the gym soon and I'll post a pic after I come back, thank u anon
>>
>>41206800
Hey I have a question
Why should I do TM and not 5/3/1, assuming that I can't progress weekly and don't want to eat more (not a bitch skeleton, legitimately don't want to increase my bodyweight)
>>
>>41215895
Bulking without training is always a bad idea, but you are now at healthy weight, not fat, so don't worry about that. You shouldn't but now, i know that you see yourself as fat as fuck but don't worry, start training, do SS properly after reading the book, and you will feel and look a lot better, also start thinking in terms of 180lbs, that's where you should end up.

I don't know where you live but you should definitely look into getting a starting strength coach, it will help you immensely
>>
>>41216097
5/3/1 is not an intermediate program in the strict sense. TM has a shorter meso with schedule similar to SS thus is easier to adapt
>>
>>41216097
You shouldn't do either.
You are probably better off on PPL or some other brosplit routine, etc.

People who aim for strength/powerlifting/weighthlifting etc., are not concerned with trivial things such programming goals, eating more or less and weight gain or loss and other vanities.
They do what it takes because theyre' athletes. What are you?
>>
>>41216097
Read this:
http://startingstrength.com/article/into-the-great-wide-open-the-texas-method-and-5-3-1
It will make for a better more informed decision on what program to do
>>
>>41216121
>getting a starting strength coach
whats the $$$ damage?
>>
>>41215974
I don't know it for sure but it's definitely high. I have little muscle mass.

I knew I'd be told I don't belong here but I do. I need to build strength. I am physically weak and emotionally vulnerable so I feel weak but I am not. I've lived through more than most and I'm still standing. I will get stronger somehow. I just don't know yet what to do. That's why I'm asking.

>>41216049
Yes, I'm female. I know this is still a healthy weight but it is not healthy to eat garbage, so nothing, have no muscle, no stamina, no flexibility, no energy, and be a few pounds away from being medically overweight. I have gained 60 pounds in less than two years. I don't feel healthy. I can get there though. It will be hard work but I think more rewarding than the nightmare that has been eating in a day the amount of empty calories than I'd eat in a week's worth of raw vegan calories from the old days. Two extremes. I'm looking at a healthy middle ground.
>>
>>41216187
This changes everything, i assumed you were male, disregard every previous post.
150lbs at 5'4" for a female is healthy if you train, otherwise not so much, you should definitely read the book and get on the novice progression as soon as possible, don't cut, you will find that after the first few weeks of progression even if you don't gain or lose wait you will drop bodyfat and gain muscle, you will feel better for sure. Read the book, do the program, also try and get in contact with a coach if you can, that helps a lot
>>
>>41216187
>I don't know it for sure but it's definitely high.

well, learn it: use this
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
>>
>>41216187
you sound like one of those women who starts a gym-oriented instagram account after lifting babyweights for a few weeks, writing posts with unnecessary verbosity and hashtags. I dont want to be rude but just fuck off with all your insecurities and get under the bar. if you remain constant in training and adding weight to your lifts you are almost sure remain that way for at least a few months, stop seeking attention. your other problems require solution not found here
>>
>>41216121
>start thinking in terms of 180lbs
...I oh god I honestly don't want to. Why would I need to get that big? I'm already very big. I'm told I'm thick very often. I have always had a very big bottom half. It was a horror for me when all I wanted was a thigh gap but even for 90 lbs had fairly thick thighs. If I was 180 I would look like Lena Dunham or bigger. Why would I have to go that far? I want to build muscle but couldn't I cut to 115 and bulk back to 150 in order to change composition?

I've ordered the book. It should arrive soon but I don't think I'll be able to afford help. I am not making a lot as I didn't work for a few years due to various psychological issues.

>>41216245
Thank you for your advice and support anon. I'll be reading the book soon and start considering doing the training without cutting my calories. I can eat at maintenance but try to improve the foods I'm consuming. I eat a lot of junk. I'd like to change that.
>>
>>41216326
I thought you were a male, 180 is too much for sure.
There is no need to cut and then get the weight back, not having trained before you will make a good recomp staying at 150, you will see your bf% go down while getting stronger, if you can't get a coach you can post form checks here or on the ss forums
>>
>>41216138
please ignore this post and this article.

this is the biggest load of trash i've ever seen and i'm surprised SS allowed it to be posted. i cant speak for 5/3/1, but there's fucking thousands of people on exactly that site who have hit 500lb squats, 600lb deadlifts and 315lb benches on the TM and using it appropriately.

that article proves nothing, its just meme narrative.
>>
>>41216326
forget about those earlier posts.
they didnt count on the fact you're a woman.

The Book is really dense with details and has many parts relating to girls. So you'll be fine. You can complement it with free Youtube and the SS forums content anyway.

Also, what >>41216370
said. It's basic knowledge that once you start from scratch you'll put on muscle and lose bodyfat by default.
Just follow the program by the letter and you'll see that your progress will be miraculous at the beginning.

>>41216374
Jordan's point in that article wasn't that the TM sucks, of course, since Rip has used it for decades.
But that is not as optimal / efficacious as it could be.
>>
>>41216374
Have you read it? It doesn't say TM is shit and doesn't work, it says there are other option you can look into
>>
>>41216097
the TM is great, i got very big and very strong from it. however, if you don't eat enough, your progress stops dead. not ideal for people who don't want to gain weight..

5/3/1 is good but read beyond 5/3/1 and add in joker sets. i'd also say instead of using ascending sets of main lift days, use sets across. lastly, 1-2 accessories per main lift day, but chose them for the opposite muscle group eg bench accessory on press day, squat accessory on deadlift day, NOT press accessory on press day etc.
>>
>>41216416
gotta be super careful with TM's nutrition/macros.
gotta ensure that a lot of calories go in but little of them creates fat otherwise you're gonna look like a strong obese person.
>>
>>41216415
he says its not optimal for most people. what a god damn genius, all routines aren't 'optimal' for most people.

one thing i will grant him is that the TM is not great for upper body. nuckols' 3x a week bench or something is more appropriate
>>
>>41216286
Never have had any social media account or even a blog. Just looking for advice. Sorry to annoy you but everyone needs support sometimes anon.

>>41216370
>>41216414
Thank you both so much. I will start lurking the forums now and watching more vids while I wait for the book. I'm struggling so much with this weight but I am hoping this can be a new and healthier chapter for me. Love you /fit/ you guys can be really awesome sometimes. I feel very motivated to do my best on this program.
>>
>>41216520
Since you're gonna need a gym anyway, why don't you see if there's any gym near you that does Starting Strength. Just so you find like minded people.
Usually normal gyms audiences would take you for a Martian when they look at what you're trying to do .
>>
So for now until I start plateauing on my big 4 lifts I've been doing basic SS plus gluing on calf raises, curls and tricep extensions on both A and B days as well as wrist curls on A days and lateral raises on B days. I also do around 30 pull ups daily and one set of push ups to exhaustion both on my rest days and after I get home from the gym. I also do ab wheel to exhaustion in the evenings as well. Am I targetting just about everything or is there something I'm missing?

Also my gym doesn't have a bench for hyper extensions, can I use one of those incline benches for crunches that hold your legs with my stomach down instead?
>>
>>41208558
I've been doing SS which transitioned to a texas method split for a solid 3 years now. I went from benching 245, ohping 145, squatting 225, and deadlifting 225 at a bodyweight of 165 to benching 450, ohping 265, squatting 600, and pulling 660 at a bodyweight of 220. so I basically gained 60 pounds over a 3 year period. I definitely put on a lot of fat. The key is to gain weight over a loooooooong period of time. This shit is slow. You just have to put your head down, do your 5x5s, and quietly grind it out week to week. I got tired of the le strong people are useful meme so I am planning on cutting to around 180 soon. It'll also be a good opportunity to see if I gained any "mature muscle" or whatever bodybuilding meme there is when it comes to bulking/cutting (even tho it depends 100% on genetics).

I'll probably become depressed at how much strength I lost and start roids.
>>
why do I lust for cocks?
>>
How long does it usually take to you to complete a workout?
I'm currently doing the Original Novice version and it takes me around 2 hours, including a brief pre-workout warm-up and DeFranco's Limber 11 mobility routine.
I train in my garage gym so I do not have the pressure of others needing the power rack.
>>
Switching to phase 2 of SS. My question is will I continue to plateu if eat at maintenance with my body weight of 230 at 5' 11".
>>
>>41218519
>including a brief pre-workout warm-up and DeFranco's Limber 11 mobility routine.

Lol why the fuck are you doing this. Pre-workout warm ups and mobility/stretching routines are complete memes. Did you even read the book
>>
>>41218734
I started reading 5/3/1 then after a couple of workouts I realized it was better to start with SS, but I retained the warm-ups/mobility work from 5/3/1.
>>
File: 1457266336784.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1457266336784.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>41218678
>230 at 5' 11"
mirin
>>
File: why 531 sucks.png (60KB, 1142x726px) Image search: [Google]
why 531 sucks.png
60KB, 1142x726px
>>41212737
wendler's abortion of a program sucks ass, pic related
follow the advice in practical programming for edging out the final gains in ss
if you are "strong enough" then after either maintain (continue workouts but only 1-2x a week while you hold strength then recycle 3x a week to rebuild) OR switch to some aesthetics like lyle mcdonald's generic bulk or aworkoutroutine dot com muscle builder split
if you want to be stronger after finishing ss then do something from practical programming intermediate like nebraska model or 4-day split texas method or a bill starr hlm or something like the bfs in pic related
>>
>>41218519
>>41218734
exactly do some fucking jumping jacks or a dot drill for a general warmup and you're ready in 1-2 minutes, then do the specific barbell warmup for your squatting and you're as fucking warm as you need to be
mobility is bullshit
do some static stretches after working out, 10 minutes tops, pic related
>>
>>41219198
Thanks based anon!
>>
>>41219072
Yes, I'm well aware I'm a fatty and King of the manlets.
>>
I want to start lifting weights for weight loss reason, but I don't want to leave the house. I have pretty good dumbbells, but nothing else.

Is there any simple beginner program with just dumbbells? The sticky didn't have anything.
>>
>>41216326
Pls be in london
l
s

l
o
n
d
o
n

I can help you eat healthy desu.
Not a ss guy but eat 2.8 3k
sirloin steak 175g, mashed potato300g 40gbutter, spinach cooked 225g, kefir 500g(unpastuerised), eggs 4 sunny side, yoghurt 200g, oats 22g, 4 small bananas, apple, beetroot juice, wild salmon smoked 100g, kiwi 3, orange some other shit...

And don't ignore my posts faggots I'm gonna barbell row before bench and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt5aLMgdnzM
>>41215718
>>41215775
The movement feel very slow and grindy at higher weights. I don't think my setup is completely solid either.
>>
File: 1222121221.jpg (94KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1222121221.jpg
94KB, 700x700px
>>41219156
>been doing 531 for half a year

why is everything I do always shit. Why do I always manage to find garbage routines and advice only to later learn of its quality

My entire lifting career is a joke. Where do I go for actual lifting advice and routines?
>>
>>41219570
You can't do SS with dumbbells

>>41219743
You are going to deep, to achieve that depth you are relaxing at the bottom, go just slightly below parallel, at first it will feel like you are squatting high, so keep taking videos and look at your depth, this means you need to stop divebombing and stay tight during the descent and stop just below parallel, not ATG, it might feel strange at first but that's just because you are not accustomed to it, they will definitely be easier if you keep tight during the whole movement
Otherwise these are pretty good, also good use of hip drive on the heavier sets.
>>
>>41219782
Stats?
>>
>>41219904
Stop just below parallel? If I recall correctly the ideal would be to bounce out of the bottom with the stretch reflex. So what I'm conflicted about is if I should aim to stop, or if I should only stop until I improve my technique?

Also thank you for the critique, I appreciate it.
>>
>>41219942
Didn't mean stop as to pause there, just don't go any lower and bounce there, what really helps with this is thinking up while you are going down, if you stay tight during all the descent you get a real good bounce, will feel like the weight is lighter the first time you do this correctly
>>
File: 1414414088687.jpg (35KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
1414414088687.jpg
35KB, 535x577px
>>41219912
1rm
Squat 110kg
Bench 90kg
OHP 57.5kg
Deadlift 155kg
65kg BW

Did SL5x5 as long as I could progress and longer. Don't even know how long. Alternated between 531 an SL due to injuries and life complications forcing me to rebuild several times.

According to strenght standards I'm intermediate but I know I should aim to add more weight but I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I should never have started lifting.
>>
>>41219970
I understand. Thank you!
>>
>>41219782
go right to the post you responded to
beginners do ss according to the pp book
decide if you want show or go or just maintain
if show, do one of the splits suggested
if go, do one of the routines (nebraska model, tm split, hlm, old-school bfs) mentioned, if you think you have pl potential go the tm split route and then maybe graduate to sheiko or similar after a few months of tm

Seriously, the above is the best advice you'll ever get.

Considering you're at intermediate stats, pick show or go, the two bb splits are essentially similar, the four athletic programs are all fun, if you like powerlifting then probably tm split is for you, get or pirate PPST 3rd ed and run it.
>>
>>41219991
65kg is insectoid by rippetoean standards

Get back on a novice progression, this time SS (read the book), eat, sleep and add weight to the bar
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 600x500px
Y'all niggas need to do some isolations. For real.
>>
>>41220059
Am...Am I retarded? Show or go?

>>41220062
I honestly think I'm too mentally crippled to go back to progression every workout. I'm so afraid of a single stall that I fear it would break the last of my willpower. Isn't there any weekly progression alternative I can do?
>>
>>41220161
Texas method, but why would you do that at 65kg and shit numbers?
>>
>>41219991

>65kg

those are some damn good lifts at that hobgoblin weight.

you're not far from reaching bodyweight OHP.
>>
>>41220161
Are you training because you want to look good "show" or because you want to be fit and athletic "go"?

If it's to look good, then you've got a good base of strength already for your size, go look up Lyle McDonald's "Generic Bulk" program or AWorkoutRoutine dot com's "Muscle Builder" program and read up, they are both upper/lower splits.

If it's to be fit and athletic, then get Practical Programming and look at the intermediate training section. Good picks are the "Nebraska Model" or "Texas Method" with the 4-day split or "HLM" training. Also take a look at the BFS layout from the pic above, the book BiggerFasterStronger is available sometimes in pirate sites as is Practical Programming and Starting Strength. One of these will probably appeal to you more than the others, do it. However if you love the idea of training for powerlifting then the Texas Method split is your best bet, followed if you want by something like Sheiko programming.

All of the above options have weekly progression so no worries.
>>
>>41220194
quit being an asshole anon
good lifts at 65kg
man is trying to make it
we're all gonna make it
>>
Tips to improve OHP? It's my absolute worst and I can't even 1pl8lmao it.

I'm starting to get into clean/jerk but realize that I can't even get the jerk after each clean because my OHP is so shit.
>>
>>41220292
Microload
>>
>>41220321
Thanks, I'll try that. I can jerk with the 10lb trainer plates but above that is a struggle. I'll start with those and progress from there.
>>
>>41220271
>>41220250
>>41220237
>>41220194
I don't deserve this anons. Thank you, for your help. I will make it. For you guys.
>>
>>41206800
What are good accessory lifts for SS?
>>
File: 129955387671.jpg (48KB, 364x452px) Image search: [Google]
129955387671.jpg
48KB, 364x452px
>>41219156
>Lads can you bulletpoint why 5/3/1 is bad exactly. Some anon is shilling it but I've never run it so I don't know how to dispute him
The answer anon spoonfed you and the date match up. Hoooooly shit. Pic absolutely related. How pathetic can you be?

For anyone curious, I am (probably) the "shill" and all I said was that "531 is more balanced because it has 1:1 squat and deadlift working sets as opposed to 8:1 in TM" and that "after a point weekly progression (TM) is unsustainable so you have to switch to monthly" or something along those lines. Anon probably got triggered because of how deep Rip's cock was up his ass and instead of admitting defeat or just leaving the thread, he asked someone else to defend him! (Let alone how the entire argument screams "I haven't read the book")

These are the people arguing against you about fitness advice. Weak, pathetic and trolling for the sake of trolling. And of course they won't post body when you ask them, or provide a serious answer to a legitimate argument that completely deconstructs theirs.

Why dispute a program you haven't tried out of spite?

Also, to the other anon who spoonfed you a reply, please read the book first. No, I'm not shilling. Torrent it, but READ it before shitposting based on a blank template you found on t-nation
>>
>>41220445
chin ups
>>
>>41219782
No worries lad.
Do 531 SSL and BBB. Two main lifts each day, one for intensity one for volume, bi-weekly frequency on all 4 main barbell movements. Aim for 50 total reps chinups on upper body days. If you want, add some more accessories like farmer carries, dips, rows etc.
>>
>>41208558
Been on SS for about 3 months. Can squat 1.5 times my body weight.

Just started on a surplus diet, whey protein and creatine.

Still need improvement on my form.
I get about 8 hours of sleep.
>>
>>41220618
1.5 times my bodyweight means nothing
What is your bodyweight and height?
>>
>>41206800
LOL... people still fall for the SS meme?
>>
>>41220650
Haha lol :^)
>>
File: 20170403_195806.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170403_195806.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
What are some good wrist,and lower forearm, exercise. I Can do with dumbbell and straight bar?
Wife's boobs for the help.
>>
>>41221156
Deadlifts
>>
>>41220465
duh, chinups and pullups are already IN ss, so they can't be accessory lifts to it.

Read the book anons, ss does chins and pullups on alternating sessions, and does them weighted (per PP version) under conditions, and also does back extensions and glute-ham raises.

If you're not doing the chins and pullups already then you're not doing ss
>>
>>41221156
Since you're asking for """""lower forearm""""" I think you're looking for answers on how to get big wrists. This is borderline impossible with weight training just like calves

However if you want strength deadlifts and holds are good.

What kicked my grip strength into hyper mode was hanging from a pullup bar with one hand, holding for 5-10 seconds and then in a controlled speed switching hands without dropping. And doing this until I failure for 2-3 sets. No sources for this one, pure broscience but my grip went from babby to iron.
>>
>>41221275
Main lifts = Squat, bench, dead, press
Accessory lifts or ancillary exercises = chinups and the likes
Unlike curls, they are accessories, and they are also in the program

>>41221296
Wrist get bigger with training, you are not going to put on an inch of bone, but they will grow.
>>
>>41206800
deadlifts are 1x5

is it cheating if you take a small 10-20 sec pause between reps?
>>
>>41221374
Yep, if you do they become five singles, don't do that
>>
>>41209692
what were your lifts when you decided to move over to TM?
>>
Any point moving to TM if lifts aren't yet at 1/2/3/4?
>>
>>41223026
Can you progress at least twice a week?
>If yes
Do SS
>If no
Do TM
>>
I'm a month into SS and I've been losing weight. I think I'm eating enough, usually around 2500-2800 kcal with 100-150g protein, but I've been losing weight (mostly fat so I'm not complaining) but is this indicating I'm not eating enough to get gainz? For reference I've gone from 168~ to 164~ and I'm reasonably certain it's not mostly water weight
>>
>>41224272
can you progress in terms of lifts? then I wont be worried
>>
File: 1488155868844.jpg (5KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488155868844.jpg
5KB, 247x250px
>>41206800
How do I know if I;m doing deadlifts right?
>>
>>41223026
>>41224190
whats TM?
>>
File: 1469495852615.gif (2MB, 360x332px) Image search: [Google]
1469495852615.gif
2MB, 360x332px
>>41224389
make sure you're lifting with your back, not your legs
>>
>>41224400
texas method
>>
>>41219156
>lower frequecy
But this is bullshit. On 5/3/1 you do each lift two times per week. In fact you press more often then in those shitty BFS-style workout.
>>
>>41224417
thx
>>
>>41224482
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
>>
>>41206800

Serious question here:

Sometimes I have a sharp pain between my shoulderblades when I deadlift. If I don't hold it at the top, it doesn't hurt (like immediately going back down after the whole pelvic thrust thing).
The pain is a few inches below my neck, right between my shoulderblades.
>>
>>41224508
Amazing argument from Rip's militant shitposter army, as always.
>>
What is a good routine on a deficit when i first wanna lose weight?
>>
>>41224778

>>17018018
>>
should a carry on doing SS to hit 1/2/3/4 or should i go onto something else already?
my lifts are for
squat-115kg
front squat-80kg
deadlift-140kg
ohp-47.5kg
bench-72.5kg
all for 5 reps
>>
>>41225931
You should continue doing SS until you start plateauing and struggle to make progress every workout.
>>
>>41224358
Yeah I'm still adding weights but if I'm losing weight doesn't that mean I'm not gaining muscle?
>>
Rippetoe circlejerks the importance of a training log in form of a book, but I cant quite find how he wants me to format it other than in columns. What exactly do I write?
>>
>>41226023
are you dumb? you write the workout, the work load and the sets and reps
>>
Any thoughts on changing exercise order? I find that squat first fucks up my other lifts but not the other way around
>>
>>41225971
If you are very detained you can gain muscle while losing fat, you will probably need to start eating more very soon

>>41226587
Squats are a good way to make everything warm for the rest of the workout, and also the hardest lift. If you do them first they won't fuck up your upper body exercise that comes next, if you feel like they do just man up
>>
>>41226647
are there actually any downsides to doing squats last? I can still progress on both if I do that, but if I'm doing squat first it makes it harder to progress on the next lift
>>
>>41226699
There are no downsides that i know of, maybe just rest a bit more after you last squat set?
>>
>>41226730
alright might just try resting a bit more
One question about the chins in SS, do they alternate between bodyweight 3xF one week and then 3x5 weighted the next? I'm ordering the book but the SS website seems to suggest that
>>
File: ss (2017-04-27 at 02.37.44).png (65KB, 797x481px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-27 at 02.37.44).png
65KB, 797x481px
This is the template for a 4day Texas Method split from Practical Programming. I was thinking of trying it but had a question regarding the 3-5RM on Press/Bench

I think I've understood the progression system. But is the 3-5RM on the non-focus press also an attempted PR or based on my previous PR? Going for an OHP PR after Bench or vice versa seems pretty daunting. And then next week do I treat the press PR here separately or base it off previous weeks 3-5RM? I'm afraid I don't quite understand this part. Could anyone help me out?
>>
>>41226699
if you're doing squats after a heavy DL session your low back will be fatigued. usually not a good idea.
>>
I've currently gone through my first 16 workouts of SS, following the original novice routine (Day A: Squat, BP, DL / Day B: Squat, OHP, PC / Progression: AxBxAxx / BxAxBxx)

BW: 183 lbs (83 kg)
BF: 15-20%
Squat: 207 lbs (94 kg)
DL: 238 lbs (108 kg)
Bench: 141 lbs (64 kg)
OHP: 106 lbs (48 kg)
PC: 110 lbs (50 kg)

I've yet to start reading Practical Programming so I still don't know when I should switch from this template to another one like PP Novice, Wichita Falls Novice or others.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>41226784
>don't know when I should switch from this template to another one like PP Novice, Wichita Falls Novice or others.
never. they are just worse variations of SS, and there's no reason to do them, and your certainly don't change from SS to them.

the book (SS) tells you when to move on from the novice routine.
>>
>>41226762
No, when you are able to do 15+ bodyweigth you switch to weighted 3x5 and progress from there
>>
>>41226784
Stay on it, gain another 10-15 lbs while getting your squat to 300 lbs, by then you will have read practical programming and you will know
>>
>>41226832
>>41226762

Ripp actually gives inconsistent advice on the Chins and Pullups, in two different places, in the same book, Practical Programming 3rd Edition.

In one place he says if you can do 15+ then weight them.

Later, in the section on the advanced novice, he says if they're consistently above 10 on all 3 sets, weight EVERY OTHER SESSION for 3x5-7.

What to do? Take your pick. I think the variety makes sense.
>>
File: Texas Method Split.png (70KB, 821x673px) Image search: [Google]
Texas Method Split.png
70KB, 821x673px
>>41226777
Aiiit I'm taking this from page 180 of the PDF of PPST3rd ed, pic attached. Your basic layout in your pic is good but the progressions aren't just two phases, you work 1x5 to a stall then go to 2x3 then 3x2 then 5x1, each of the four progressions to a stall, each lift progressing independently of the others, a little different numbers for the deadlift.

The "3-5RM" you have in your pic is mistaken. That is supposed to be a LIGHT DAY for those lifts. The procedure for light days is explained earlier in PP, page 148 where the basic TM is gone through. Do 3 sets of 5 reps at somewhere between 90-95% of the weight used on that lift's Volume Day.

So you are correct in worrying about that day LOL because the pic you had was mistaken.
>>
ss or greyskull
>>
>>41226699
if you want to compete then you'll be benching after you squat
ripp's reason was twofold, first, the squat is the most important exercise for athletic strength, and second, the squat is a global body warmup

i can think of only two reasons to do upper first
> i'm a benchcurl brah who dgaf about athletics
> i'm on an athletic program that starts each session with an olympic lift or variant and want a break before squatting
neither of which is starting strength
>>
>>41227586
ss, but read the book
>>
File: ss (2017-04-27 at 04.34.33).png (88KB, 307x750px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-27 at 04.34.33).png
88KB, 307x750px
>>41227561
I found it in a PDF that's titled Practical Programming for Starting Strength 3rd edition.

Though I guess I'll go with the plan that you shared, since I can actually understand it.
>>
>>41227586
greyskull is just a fucking ripoff of ss
every point johnny PPPPPPAAAAAAAIIIIIIINN makes in his book is wrong
first off, his "greyskull reset" shouldn't be done on ss, resets should be rare and quick and you should (according to the PP version of SS) be moving to the advanced novice progressions before actually failing to make your reps
second off, ripp suggests microloading to prolong things so gs with its 2.5lb progression is misguided
third, you SHOULD be going relatively fast early in the progression as you can because this is about building strength fast, so again gs is off base
ss the program already has chins in it
see >>41227610 for discussion of exercise order

ss is superior program. do ss by the book then switch after your novice progression ends, it'll only be a few months of lifting before you can be on that aesthetics or powerlifting program of your dreams
>>
>>41227634
Yeah I see it in mine, too. That is a different version than the one I would generally recommend for someone to start with. From the book
> The second method is a more difficult version of the four-day split, and presents a new wrinkle – training both the bench press and the press in a volume and intensity fashion each week, and training them together in the same workout.
>>
>>41206800
Candito LP > any program > shit > SS
>>
>>41216141
your a$$ gon feel dat $$ coach
your a$$ gon feel 'at $hit
a$$ on the in$ide and out$ide is going to get $ma$hed by $$ coa$h
>>
>>41228327
You need to work on your poverty-ass posture
>>
>>41228327
russian twists means getting fucked by lots of russian men with their twisty-ass penises, right? i think that's what made you preg.
>>
>>41228327
Buy Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, read it and do the program
>>
>>41221333
I've got about an inch of bone to put in you.
>>
>>41206800
SS was great for my neck and back, but did just about zero for my pussy and my crack.
>>
File: 1473709120104.jpg (27KB, 218x331px) Image search: [Google]
1473709120104.jpg
27KB, 218x331px
>>41227674
I feel like you are sucking dicks here. no offense, I did SS myself to great success but the "best" program must cater to the trainees' goal. if the trainee wishes to build more upper body foundation/keep it in sync with lower body then there's not reason to do SS, since any variation not mentioned in the book is 'yndtp'

GSLP is not shit though I do agree his rationale is not solid. but it's a 3x5 LP, it's hard to fuck up a 3x5.
>>
>>41228850
you're just being a moron fella
the trainee's goal as a beginner is to get a base of strength and competence with the big lifts
ss is perfect for that
it's a couple or five months at the most
then he can curlbrah the rest of his fucking life if that's his "goal"
>>
>>41229171
are telling me that upper body strength development following SS is optimal? because if you are you should stop giving advice. there is literally no reason why additional upperbody works cannot be accomodated, evidence for that exist literally everywhere. nowhere in my statement did i say his aim shouldnt be strength, merely commenting that strength building need not be limited disproportionately to the lower body.

sometimes I understand why people spout SS as a meme, you are being irrationally defensive about a point so open to discussion.
>>
Hello /fit/. I am a previously semi advanced lifter (275lb bench, 175lb OHP, 365lb squat, 235lb clean, 425lb deadlift @ 160lb bodyweight). However I sustained a serious shoulder injury two years ago which required a long wait for surgery, surgery and then considerable physio therapy. I am now at a level where I am ready to start strength training as my ROM and overall stability are at a level where I am comfortable I will not reinjure myself. Wondering if starting strength would still be the best program for me and if it would be acceptable to add bent over rows to starting strength (almost like strong lifts) just because I need a strong upper back to keep my shoulders retracted. I know generally you are not supposed to add anything to SS but there are a few small physio exercises I will unfortunately not be able to stop doing at any point.
>>
>>41229353
Also would /fit/ recommend that I power clean or take advantage of the low starting weight to practice my form with attaining full cleans?
>>
I did SL 5x5, but want to try Texas Method now. The point here being that I have never done Power cleans which Texas Method use. Should I just do them like I was doing SS until they reach okay numbers?
>>
File: alanthrall.png (1MB, 973x711px) Image search: [Google]
alanthrall.png
1MB, 973x711px
>>41206800

How much BF is too much for someone who cares more about strength than abs
>>
>>41229611
Competitive SHW = 35%
Random dude who wants to be strong = 20-25%
>>
>>41229611
Diabetic risk is influenced both by muscle mass an fat. Truncal fat is even a Criteria used in metabolic syndrome, expressed as waist-hip ratio. A healthy male should not have that ratio exceed 0.85
>>
Just starting to get /fit/
First time going to the gym in a while 2 days ago. I didn't stretch so I'm still a bit sore. Is it a good idea to go today?
>>
>>41229859
DOMS are reduced with accommodation to movements, so yes
>>
File: 1476222493660.gif (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1476222493660.gif
2MB, 720x404px
>>41229611
YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME ALAN I GO TO YOUR GYM!!!!
>>
>>41229868
Oh, cool. Full body workout every 2 days, how's this sound? Skinny and light as fuck at the moment, want to get as much muscle as I can. Working on my diet too
>>
When i squat deep like based rippetoe told me, i feel my hip flexors stretching. It doesn't hurt, it just feels like they stretch a bit and are quite tight. What am i doing wrong?
>>
>>41229893
Full body workout 3x a week is the ideal novice approach. Eat in acceptable excess to gain muscle, time meals properly in relation to exercise. Make sure you have enough protein intake to supply anabolism. You will pick up other bits of info as you progress with your lifts. No reason to bombard yourself with info this early
>>
>>41229911
Probably just tight hip flexors? Stretch them.
>>
>>41229999 get
>>
need advice on how to progress bros.

stats:
weight: 225lbs
height: 5'11"

benchmax: 295lbs
squat: 325lbs
deadlift: 385ish lbs

should I keep going lifting heavy or cut and focus on lots of cardio? been doing a variant of 5x5.
>>
I'm doing SL but there is no SL general. Is it cool to improve bench by 10 pounds a workout?
>>
>>41229998
thanks m8, gonna do that.
>>
File: 20170427_150052.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170427_150052.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>41230005
this currently me.
>>
>>41230069
>>41230005
if you wanna focus on getting stronger keep doing that, if you want to focus on aesthetics then cut. I dont get why you're asking.
>>
>>41227674
>ripoff of ss
which is ripoff of starr's routine
GSLP is periodised - that's what important.
>>
File: 1484517107821.png (161KB, 769x828px) Image search: [Google]
1484517107821.png
161KB, 769x828px
>>41230005
C U T
U
T
>>
>>41229943
I've already been bombarded dude. Finding it hard to get enough protein and even enough calories to surplus. Recommendations? How do I know what kind of supplement to get? I was thinking of getting protein powder but I don't know shit
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.