[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The sticky doesn't match the reality I see

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Hey /fit/, I went to a gym today and saw something weird and I'm not sure what to think of it.

I see all of these big fat guys with no definition coming and going only doing 5 reps of squats/bench/deadlifts and then leaving. They generally don't break a sweat. They really don't look like they did much at all after their very short stint lifting even though they take extremely long rests.

Then I see a bunch of really jacked, shredded dudes doing a diverse number of exercises. They generally are sweating and appear to be making quite an effort to sculpt their physiques. They put in 3 times the amount of time it seems, shorter rests but higher rep counts, and afterwards a lot of them actually seem to be doing cardio too (what the heck???).

It is really difficult to reconcile this phenomenon. The top scientists in the world, coincidentally all on 4chan, would suggest this should absolutely not be happening. I thought doing high weight, low rep, long rest, no cardio, high calorie was the ideal way to become physically fit? I mean, it is the easiest way to exercise, shouldn't that mean it makes you the fittest too?
>>
1. roids are much more common than you realize
2. for every guy that does that in the gym there are 100 that did the same retarded shit and quit so there's a genetic component too
3. they may have played college ball or something and are now into getting swole
>>
>>41202270
>People who actually put effort into their bodies are all on roids

Sure thing, fat ass.
>>
>>41202288
yeah that's exactly what i said, anon. for the record i'm bigger and stronger than you.
>>
> Mongolian basket weaving image board
> Clearly states SS is purely for BEGINNERS
> If you know how to squat, row, bench and deadlift you are no longer a beginner
> Somehow people still do 4 exercises 5x5 for extended amount of periods
> Somehow people don't understand they need to program for hypertrophy
> Somehow people expect to magically grow muscles without actually putting effort in muscle growth stimulation
> "guise why r i not growing"

ayyy lmaooooo get off your fat ass and start lifting
>>
>>41202237
The first group is new to the gym. The second group has been likely lifting for years, or is in roids. Not that difficult to figure out. It takes a decent base of strength to workout like the second group.
>>
>>41202381
Hey man, not super on-topic, but I am doing sean10mm's stripped 5x5. My lifts are not fantastic, I'm a fat dyel and have been lifting for about 3 weeks, though not super consistent (I was super sick with mad fevers last week so only did one day out of 3. That being said, I have been increasing weight on all my lifts because they are hilariously low. Last night on my last set I did 65 on OHP (I know, I know, fuck you), 135 DL, and 100 on Rows. I have been super focused on form and get my wife to watch form videos with me beforehand and have her check my form on everything to make sure I don't fuck myself up.

That being said - how long do I continue with the stripped 5x5? I feel comfortable with all of these exercises now, but I know the weight I'm putting up is pathetic. Should I do this for a while to work on stabilization? Should I increase reps? Or just stick to the plan and keep adding weight? What is a good intermediate program? I feel like I just got into a good rythem and now I feel like I'm going to fuck up by not working out hard enough (though in fairness, I don't take super long rests, usually 60 seconds max while I'm adding weight between sets, and I sweat my ass off)

Sorry for the blog post and all the questions.
>>
>>41202499

I would not recommend sean10mm's stripped 5x5 because he wants you to start low and end heavy with the same amount of reps, making the work performed by you nearly redundant. As I said before, beginner 5x5 is to get familiar with the lifts and letting your muscles, bones, neurosystem and tendons etc. adjust to the weight you are going to move. If you insist on 5x5, do something like Park's golden six or something and don't forget to work your calves, arms and core as well.

That being said, don't let numbers distract you. Keep up a good form and keep increasing the weight while aiming for higher volume. You are actively improving yourself, you are making it. The weight you are moving is not pathetic and you should never compare yourself to the e-statting cuck gobblers on this board. Do not ego lift, but progress!

Once you feel like you are not a beginner anymore, search for whatever program you are interested in and make sure that you do extra for all the muscle groups you think are lacking. You will not grow muscle mass if you do only 3 - 4 exercises per training session. You will grow muscle mass if you increase your volume and train every muscle group you can think of. This means you have to curl and train your abs as well. Do not believe anyone who says doing squats and deadlifts is enough for core and that doing rows is enough for arms.
>>
beginner routines are for beginners you mong. that means skinny skeletons who never lifted weights in their life and have trouble benching the bar. SS or SL or whatever beginner strength routine you choose is designed to help these auschwitz kids put on a foundation of muscle and build a strength base.

doing SS for half a year wont make you aesthetic. nobody ever said it would, and it doesnt claim to do so. all it does is make you stronger, and better at lifting weights. that's it.
>>
>>41202613
Thanks man, I will check out Park's Golden Six. I'm not going to say the program from sean10mm felt easy, because I have to bust my ass to do it, but I did feel like I was lacking a lot of exercises/muscles. Thanks for the encouragement, too. I'm going to make it.
>>
>>41202288

He said jacked and shredded

You aren't getting there with your Weider brand protein bar and grip trainer lad
>>
A lot of people just go to the gym to fool themselves into thinking they are healthy and care about their bodies.
>>
>>41202499
Your dl should be going up at least 15-30 pounds a week at your bitch stage
>>
>>41202237
Nice irony posting bro
>>
>>41202237
All of this could have been avoided if that stupid fucking starting strength meme pamphlet showed a skelly on the front and not someone who was already built. It makes people immediately get the wrong idea. SS is a fucking meme unless you're a buttfucking idiot who has no integrity and needs to have everything spoon-fed to you. PICK STUFF UP AND PUT IT DOWN YOU FUCKING RETARD.
>>
Wait how come I know a jacked shredded guy who trains strength? Oh cause he's been doing it for years has good genes and doesn't eat like a fatass
>>
>>41202237
>staying on starting strength routine beyond the initial shock of transition from DYEL to Lifting.
Its called "starting strength" for a reason, anon
you're not gonna make it if you stay on starting strength routine.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.