[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to actually do Starting Strength

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 12 Years a Slav.png (633KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
12 Years a Slav.png
633KB, 700x1050px
yeah idk why there's this bullshit on the sticky but SS by the book is pretty simple.

stage 1: learning the basic lifts, everything 3x5 unless marked
A: squat, press, dead (1x5)
B: squat, bench, dead (1x5)
do this stage ONLY until deadlift form is good and deadlift is well ahead of squat, so obviously you're not adding only 5lbs you're adding more as you're comfortable with the lift

stage 2: introducing the power clean
B: squat, bench, power clean (5x3)
learn the clean WITH THE BAR ALONE until it looks smooth. damn the book is pirated all over the place, read the thing. after it looks good with the bar, start adding weight.

stage3: adding additional exercises
B: squat, bench, back extensions (3x10), pullups (3xFailure)
C: squat, press, power clean (5x3)
D: squat, bench, glute-ham raise (3x10), chinups (3xFailure)
run this until you start to stall on various lifts. how to correct this in the next post
>>
stage 4: progressions that change when you start to stall
squat - move it from 3x5 ever session, to 1x5 adding weight and 2x5 at 90% of the first set on mon and fri, and wed do 2x5 at 70% of monday's weight
power clean - move it from 5x3 to 4x2
press and bench - move them from 3x5 to 3x3
deadlift - move it from 1x5 to 1x3
chins and pullups - when you can 10+ reps, start doing every other session of these with weight added and target 3x5-7

Note: ideally you never fail a rep of SS. You switch progressions when you have confidence that you can't make the target on the next workout

This is actually a bretty gud program. You got light squats once a week after your squat is built up, you're only deadlifting once a week at the most and every once in a while have a week off from deadlifting, and you have an upper-body pull every other session.
>>
You wanna add some shit, add dips on the press day, after pulling, work them the same way as chins. You can even alternate chest dips and triceps dips on different workouts. This will go a long way to helping out the bench numbers and getting rid of the trex meme.

Put some other arm stuff on that day if you're the kind of faggot that needs biceps, then you'll have 5 lifts each workout and pretty even workout times from session to session.
>>
So now with the additions I suggested and near the end of the progression, the workouts look like this

A: squat (1x5 + 2 backoffs on M/F, 2x5 light on W), press (3x3), dead (1x3), triceps dips (3xFailure), barbell curls (3x10)
B: squat (1x5 + 2 backoffs on M/F, 2x5 light on W), bench (3x3), back extensions (3x10), pullups (3xFailure)
C: squat (1x5 + 2 backoffs on M/F, 2x5 light on W), press (3x3), power clean (4x2), chest dips (3xFailure), db curls (3x10)
D: squat (1x5 + 2 backoffs on M/F, 2x5 light on W), bench (3x3), glute-ham raise (3x10), chinups (3xFailure)
>>
>>41196194
what version of the book is that? mine isn't even close to that
>>
>>41197507
kys. Seriously. You're part of the fucking problem.

Above is LITERALLY the way it's laid out in SS 3rd Ed pages 785-787 of the EPUB edition. It's laid out the same way in Practical Programming 3rd Edition, pages 204-207 of the EPUB. The earlier editions were the same shit, brah, I've read every edition of both books but only have the most recent on the computer.

The only bit that appears in PP but not in SS is the "advanced novice" cutting of progressions in the stage 4 above, it's a little later in the book than the program. He also mentions there the option of adding ancillary exercises beyond the ones listed, PROVIDED they don't interfere with recovery. Only the last bit with the dips etc added is an edit.

This meme shit that SS is just 3 exercises in two alternating workouts has to die, it's the reason people get poor results. The extra exercises are RIGHT FUCKING THERE IN THE BOOK and yet moron after moron says "I'm doing SS but I'm adding chins to it" duh.
>>
File: 1431611801086.png (7KB, 382x373px) Image search: [Google]
1431611801086.png
7KB, 382x373px
>>41197812
don't know why you're getting so triggered, i never made any claims regarding what exercises are included in SS, i just didn't recognize the programming

fuck, man
>>
>>41196194
don't
>>
>>41197892
Don't worry man, he's just an autist.
>>
My experience.

My squat is now at 120kg. Form has some serious breakdown because it is near maximum. Probably reset will be necessary at the next session.

Anyway, tried to use the lighter recovery day on Wed and keep Mon and Fri 3x5 increasing as usual. I'm afraid that didn't last more than 3 weeks.
On 4th week I will either have to reset 10% or try my luck with OP's model:
>squat (1x5 + 2 backoffs on M/F @ 90%, 3x5 light on W @ 70%).

Questions.
1. Is the last part from 120kg to 140kg actually the hardest for SQ?
2. Is it acceptable to start the Texas Method if 1/2/3/4 hasn't been reached yet?
>>
>>41196194
Thanks for this, I always like nice clean summaries of routines without oversimplifying it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.