[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shin Splints

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Shin Splints.jpg (16KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Splints.jpg
16KB, 222x222px
I'm running long distance for the air force, but unfortunately I live in the concrete jungle and all the running on hard ground has caused me shin pain.

Do shin braces help with splints?

What stretches can I do?

How do I fix and prevent this?

Taking time off isn't really a possibility atm. Its short term anyway as I'm almost fit enough to enlist.
>>
pls respond
>>
bump for op
>>
Bump 4 op bby
>>
there is no such thing as 'shin splints'

it was something invented by fat, stupid women to get out of doing PT

anybody who ironically says 'shin splints', can be written off forever as a useless piece of shit

man the fuck up or figure out why treadmills were invented
>>
I'm actually having the same problem, too.
>>
>>41192747
>23
If the pain is significant, see a doctor. Regardless, you can fuck up your shit for a long time if you're not careful. Essentially you shouldn't run if you feel significant shin pain, and should instead switch to something low impact (rowing, swimming, elliptical) until the pain subsides. The usual timeframe is between one and six weeks.
>>
I use to get shin splints as well. I've found that incline walking a few days a week keeps mine away. Over time increase the incline and speed.
If your shin splints don't improve over time then this isn't your tibialis anterior being weak and you should get medical help.
>>
>>41193139
>shin splints aren't real
t. never run before
>>
File: Heel toe walking.jpg (23KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Heel toe walking.jpg
23KB, 480x270px
>>41192747
I've had awful shin splints for a few months now, and the only things I hadn't tried were foam rolling and compression sleeves. I will say that I already pushed myself to the point of stress fractures so i still get pain, but the compression sleeves and rolling reduced pain a shit ton, and it is definitely worth it.
Also, I have heard that walking like pic related will help strengthen the muscles that run across your shin, and will eventually offset the pain from your calves pulling on your bone.
Good luck in the military, what are you going in for. Going to enlist in the Marines in a few months myself.
>>
>>41192747
Some queer above me said they aren't real. Disregard that fruit.

There was a modified NSW routine that was taught to our expeditionary units that revolved around heavy rest periods.

>Week one, running 5 days a week 2 to 3 miles daily.
>Week two, running 5 days a week 2 to 3 miles daily.
>Week three, no running. Light calisthenics.
>Week four, running 5 days a week, 4 to 5 miles.
>Week five, rest again.
>Week six, running 5 days 5 to 6 mIles a day.
Etc.

The goal of the program was to take people who usually only ran 1 and 1/2 mile, start art a basic level, and build upon it with adequate rest time for ever from lowest speed runner to prior service marathon runner.
>>
File: Michelle Jenneke.gif (721KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Michelle Jenneke.gif
721KB, 500x281px
>>41193139
What are you retarded? Shin splints are an overtraining injury usually caused by bad form. Manning the fuck up and saying fuck it can lead to stress fractures which are a bitch.

OP, fuck sleeves and stretches. This is how to stop shin splints.

>RICES immediately after training (most important)

>Do a gait analysis. If they're anterior tears, chances are you're heel striking or leaning back too much. Posterior tears are usually caused by overpronation or supination.

>Pay up get better shoes. Base your purchase on your gait and MPW. This will help correct your form
>>
>>41192747

stop heel striking.
>>
>>41192747

>Do shin braces help with splints?
they help with blood flow. Particularly useful for recovery.

>What stretches can I do?
Fit extensions and heel raises.

>How do I fix and prevent this?
Proper foot striking form. You want to use mid and forefoot only. Short, fast strides. Look up done YouTube videos on these.
>>
>>41192747
Get better shoes! Something with more stability and cushion for starters. Get socks with extra cushion on the bottom. Feel for yourself since many companies sell padded socks that are barely thicker than normal. You'll know when you find the right ones.

Fix your technique. Quit pointing your toes up as you land your foot. Watch some youtube videos on proper running techniques, which is more important when running on concrete.

Warm up and stretch before. Stretch after. Straight leg stretch while pulling your toes back works for me. RICE to recover (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). Get some compression tights or at least some lower leg compression sleeves. Tiger Balm works great, .
>>
>I'm running long distance for the air force

Lol
>>
File: FB_IMG_1477252210410.jpg (25KB, 480x468px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1477252210410.jpg
25KB, 480x468px
>>41192747
Got shin splints taking a shit once. Not a fun day saying that when your doctor is a qt asian
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.