[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm bench pressing three times a week, switching each workout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1492423284727.jpg (96KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
1492423284727.jpg
96KB, 1200x807px
I'm bench pressing three times a week, switching each workout between strength (5x5) and hypertrophy (4x10, now 3x10). I'm currently benching 75kg 5x5 at 72kg bodyweight and I'm wondering if the 3x10 is fucking with my recovery. My lifts went up consistently right up to 77,5kg. I don't know whether the frequency is screwing me over or the lack of quality sleep I had. I lift three days a week (FBxFBxFBxx).

If so, what do I do? Bench 2 times a week (first and last workout)? Drop the 3x10?

My goal is to go to a 2pl8 bench for reps, a big chest is secondary.
>>
>>41190385
no need to to the 3x10 if u just wanna reach 2pl8

10 is a hypertrophy rep range

do lots of 1-3 rep sets

singles

75-80% of your 1rm
>>
>>41190385
no time to regenerate. bench 2 times a week.
Do cube predator for bench. jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/07/29/building-bigger-bench-cube-predator-cycle/
Here is excel
docs.google.com/file/d/0BwBpIBuKAzrMQnNlbnFLN1RmeGs/edit
>>
>>41190385

you're gonna fuck up your back if you keep benching like a madman
>>
>>41191912
Elaborate?
>>
>>41191888
>>41190533
Thanks, looking into it!
>>
OP I'm doing something similar to you. Trying to reach 2pl8 and I'm very very close. I bench 3x a week. Monday 4x8, wednesday 6x3 with the same weight you used monday, to focus on technique and explosiveness rather than hypertrophy or strength, then friday you do 3x5.
If I were you I'd drop the 5x5 down to 3x5 or even 3x3

I went from 75kgx5 up to 85kg x5 in just over 2 months doing this. I'm going to try for a 2pl8 1rm in two weeks.
>>
>>41191935

if you do a disproportional amount of work on your chest compared to your back, your pecs will start pulling your shoulders forward, putting a strain on your back. could lead to injuries
>>
>>41192136
That occurs over a long period of time though right? When I bench I usually do back as well on the same day so I don't see that being a huge problem.
>>
>>41192136
I do a lot of deadlifts/rows/wide grip pull ups/chin ups so I don't think that'll be a problem
>>
>>41192150

Yeah, it takes a while. But in the OP you said you lift three times a week, and bench every time. That's a lot of benching, dude, even if you're doing back work too. Are you following a program, or did you modify one / make up your one?
>>
>>41191888
stupid
>>41191912
even more stupid
>>41190533
most stupid

any more questions?
>>
>>41192239
I'm the OP, not that guy, I've modified 5x5 Stronglifts, adding 3x10 benching on days I do the OHP. I also do extra back work after rows and deadlifts (pull ups and chin ups 3xAMRAP
>>
File: routine.png (30KB, 665x705px) Image search: [Google]
routine.png
30KB, 665x705px
>>41192239
I've been following pic related for a while with some changes. I only really plan on doing it until I hit 2pl8, then I'm going to focus more on ohp.
>>
>>41192254
I was going to keep the 5x5, but I might change the 3x10 to a one rep max attempt/heavy singles. Still alternating the days as described in the OP (Week A would have 5x5 two times and one rep one time, week B would have 5x5 one time and 1 rep two times)

Less stupid?
>>
>>41192302
I just realised I can't do a 1RM on the same day I'm doing OHP, which is the reason I didn't go heavy and opted for 3x10 in the first place.

The question was whether 4x10 was fucking with my recovery
>>
>>41192302
are you retarded? do 1rm max after training cycle 6-12wks.
1rm doesn't make you stronger, you only test strength with it. the lowest rep range in training is 3x1(90%) and that is a week before 1rm.
look up what peaking is and you will understand what I mean.
>>
>>41192568
Looked it up and you're right, I had read the rep ranges before but I'd forgotten since I've stuck with 5 rep sets for so long.

I'll go with 3x10 instead of 4x10 and see if it still fucks with my prestations. If it does, I'll switch it up. If it doesn't, good.
>>
>>41192644
look you need for muscle growth, hypertrophy and strength.

There are multiple methods, but your light days are just too light(you detrain). Cut off one day and do on light day at least 5x3 with 5-10% less weight than heavy day, afterwards with further 5-10% reduction do much more reps.
Let approx 4-5 between bench days, too long you detrain and too soon you can't go hard enough.
That is why I gave you the excel table and the website had some explantation.
I use cube kingpin for lower and cube predator for upper. The 4chan dropbox for further programs.
dropbox.com/sh/j41mqhcoejs4jfn/AABtVyhHbIHfmiARtgmLoLh-a
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.