[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/running/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 13312495_f520.jpg (25KB, 520x231px)
13312495_f520.jpg
25KB, 520x231px
Didn't see a running general so here goes.

I'm a complete beginner again after years of being too damn lazy to run. The last time I ran with any sort of frequency was about ten years ago, when the basic approach towards training was "just keep running the distance you're training for several times a week, and mix it up a little with longer runs once or twice a week."

I started in the beginning of April, keeping to a pace of around 5:50 - 6:30 per kilometer, increasing the distance from a crappy 1 km to start with, and now I'm up to a slightly less crappy 2 km.

This works out to about 36 - 40 minutes of cardio a week, and what I've been reading suggests that 90 mins of cardio a week is some kind of suggested minimum for cardio-related health benefits. Should I switch to a run-walk-run type of approach, and if so, based on the pace/distances I'm doing right now, what sort of ratio of running to walking would be appropriate?
>>
>>41139349
>running

It's like you don't even whant to make it...

Srs all the runner fags I know are skinny fat, weak and duchy. The have that crossfitter vibe
>>
>>41139375
Moron. Don't listen to this idiot. Running is amazing to compliment a decent gym routine. Keeps the fat off and does wonders for the metabolism along with a slew of other heart and non heart related benefits. I started off doing 5k runs with 1k of up hill sprints. Now that i'm at the gym 5 days I dedicate one day to a medium run of 15k which i actually look forward to. Start low and aim for 500m - 1k extra per week until you reach 5k or so and then try adding sprints. Good luck anon
>>
>>41139375
hey dude piss off. God forbid anyone who have different goals than you, holy shit
>>
>>41139349
Only advice I have for starting is out is that if you're running the streets starting from home, try not to do a 2km circuit that ends at home. Run somewhere that will leave you 1km walk to cool down. I used to do that and because I get bored walking, I ended up just running the extra 1km most days
>>
>>41139532
running contributes a lot of inflammatory stress and is tough on the joints. most guys who are lifting heavy weights and want to improve their cardio should just do hill sprints once or twice a week. the only reason to run is if you enjoy it as a hobby or for mental health benefits.
>>
>>41139349
Here's what I would suggest for a beginner as a very experienced runner myself. Run 3-4 times a week, for at least 30 minutes. It's not speed that matters when trying to improve but time spent at threshold, that is about the pace you think you could hold for maybe an hour or so. This will quickly improve your endurance and overall fitness, and you'll find yourself quickly holding 5 minute per km pace for 10-15 km easy.

Also dedicate 1 of the sessions to short and sharp sprints, aiming to get your heart rate up as high as possible, and improve speed-work. Sprints are also great to get a feel for proper running technique as your core automatically activates fully. When going on a long run, try to remember what that core activation felt like, and replicate it.

source: I've been running since I was 10, and run 5km in 15:28. My long run pace is 4:30, and can easily hold that for a marathon or any long run.
>>
>>41140505
>time spent at threshold
You mean at lactate threshold? Would you seriously recommend doing 3-4 runs per week at that intensity as a beginner? I've usually seen recommendations for one threshold run a week starting from 20 minutes. It's a fairly tough, quality workout afterall
>>
>>41141158
Maybe I'm just weak or injury prone, but I think my legs would explode trying that right now. The last time I tried to get back into running, I went about 2k or so, realized I was feeling weird, walked home, and discovered that my legs were giving out and wouldn't even get me up the stairs. Had to sort of scoot myself up with my arms, and spent the next two days basically immobile.
>>41140089
Would that include a 1k walk (brisk?) at first for a bit of a warmup?
>>41139532
>500 to 1k extra per week
I've been incrementing by a few hundred metres a week, was wondering if that was a good rate for a newbie.
>>
>>41141356
>I think my legs would explode trying that right now
Those threshold runs aim for 80 - 90 % of your maximum heart rate and that's approximately your 10k race pace. If I understood you correctly, your longest run so far is 2km, and I wouldn't suggest you run any threshold runs for some time now..

>a pace of around 5:50 - 6:30 per kilometer
If this is your pace right now, I'd suggest you go slower and aim for increasing your distance. It'll feel like you're jogging, but it's better to go slow in the beginning and let your tendons and muscles get used to running. I'd suggest you go for at least 30min at a time, otherwise there'll be very little benefits. You can alternate between running and walking if you feel like it. Some programs actually advocate walking alone for a few weeks in the beginning.
>>
>>41141448
This is decent advice. 30 minutes might still be too long for OP but farther and slower are the way to go for anyone building capacity.

Don't even think about speed with until you can hit good distances. Remember that running is a skill just like lifting. If you try too much, too soon you will get hurt.
>>
>>41139349
Subscreeb for.later reads
>>
Nigga just do c25k. The first week i struggled to run for a minute now im running 25min straight with no walking.
>>
>>41141356
Heavy and or people who have been highly sedentary have been urged to do two weeks of power walking of 20minutes - 1hour.
I would also suggest doing wall sits or bodyweight squats every three days to help strengthen your legs.
>>
>>41139349
>90 mins of cardio a week is some kind of suggested minimum for cardio-related health benefits.

That includes your daily activities though. Unless you sit in a chair the rest of the time, you probably get your 90 minutes. But then again, why only aim for the minimum, keep pushing yourself.
>>
>Sign up for half marathon
>Discover lifting about a week later
>Get really really really into lifting, neglect running
>Am about a month from the half marathon and keep putting off running
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.