[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Most common mistakes you see people doing in the gym >too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11

File: Triceps-Pushdown.jpg (19KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
Triceps-Pushdown.jpg
19KB, 500x366px
ITT: Most common mistakes you see people doing in the gym

>too much weight in triceps pushdown
>half way squats
>too much weight on squats

Tell me your experience.
>>
doing starting strength
>>
Tiny ROM with heavy weights is what I see all the time.
>>
>>41128855
dyel?
>>
>>41128855
Doing tricep pushdowns with their shoulders.
>>
>>41128855
lifting when you're ugly
>>
File: 1473324773096.jpg (23KB, 482x453px) Image search: [Google]
1473324773096.jpg
23KB, 482x453px
>>41128874
how?
>>
>>41128874
Exactly. That's because there's too much weight, so you use the shoulders to aid you the tricep.
>>
>>41128888
By pushing down with your shoulders. How new are you?
>>
>lat pull down

Either they yank the fuck out of it with obviously too much weight or use light weight and still manage to fuck up the movement 100%
>>
>>41128872
>dyel
Isn't dyel mostly due to lack of proper diet/bulking?
>>
File: Lat Pulldown Bar Behind Neck.jpg (46KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
Lat Pulldown Bar Behind Neck.jpg
46KB, 424x283px
>>41128855
Doing meme pic related exercise cuss I saw a Russian idiot do it.

Now I got 2 torn shoulders waiting to heal, lesson learn, don't pull or push anything behind your head, also anything that requires shoulder cup rotation while pulling/lifting must be avoided
>>
>>41128902
>lat pull down
Yes, this is quite tricky. You need to have a good core and focus on the form, otherwise you might fuck up your back or not even working the back muscle but the arms.
>>
>>41128913
I did this first couple of times. It hurt my shoulders every time I did it, so I'm glad I stopped doing it.
>>
>>41128926

Anything that requires to put your shoulders in unnatural positions must be avoided, there are better and more practical exercises that can accomplish safer and better results
>>
>>41128942
Let me ask you one thing. When I do lateral raises, a tendon in my left shoulder is like sliding around the shoulder cup, so it hurts me and can't push me to do more shoulder. What do?
>>
Partial ROM squats are great for overloading and increasing vertical jump height.

Most people doing partial ROM squats probably don't know the benefits, but full ROM isn't the only way to go
>>
>>41128958

I am not expert but I watch this guy, https://youtu.be/Fq67opsS_hc , I love his series.

He is the one that talked me out of doing meme exercises, even tho a bit too late, Now I got to wait at least a month for the shoulders to heal
>>
>>41129007
>ROM squats
I'm not taking half ROM, I'm talking lowering 3 inches and go back up again.
>>
File: 4b6.jpg (8KB, 400x343px) Image search: [Google]
4b6.jpg
8KB, 400x343px
>>41129012
Oh damn. I was doing shrugs yesterday and a personal trainer came to me and said I should do upright rows instead cuz shrugs put too much tension in your shoulders and back. Now I don't know what to do.
>>
File: 2017-04-19_235605.png (1MB, 941x627px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-19_235605.png
1MB, 941x627px
>>41128855
people in the leg press using this rom
it's an amazing machine when you go full depth but no one seems to ever go deep
had a guy next to me doing about 300kg with around the rom as in pic
>>
>>41129027

>Back squats above the knee
>>
>>41129051
I am basically a dunce, but all I know is doing upright rows felt very awkward on my shoulders, elbows and wrists
>>
>>41129051
Personal trainers are all fucking faggots, never trust them
One told me the other day that my OHP grip was too narrow(my hands were shoulder width apart) and he told me that you should have a wider grip, with your arms at 90 degrees

Never trust personal trainers
>>
>>41128913
I do behind the neck pull ups just for the fuck of it, never felt any pain. Is there any point in continuing or will normal pull ups give the same result?
>>
>>41129209
Every exercise that uses only your body weight, if done correctly, can be the best for you.
>>
>>41129051
Every new exercise that I do I start with a very low load specially when I don't know how safe the exercise is and what muscles are implicated.

If I receive new and factual information that the exercise is being done wrong or that is unhealthy or useless, I drop the thing and search for the correct form or a better variation of it.

The cavalier guy video seems legit and even if it's not, why risk it, even on that same video he gives me a variation which is doing the upright row in an angle instead of straight forward, that's why I like his series, he not only talks about the muscles and muscles implicated but he also talk about the skeleton and a better exercise that will give you the same result in a safer matter.

He calls it your longevity in the gym and if you're injuring yourself every weekend, you ain't gonna make it
>>
>>41128874
I'll agree to an extent. If you use shoulders to go beyond failure (I.e. cheat reps) after 10-15 clean reps, that's fine.
>>
>>41129209
I don't see the point on putting the shoulders in awkward and unnatural position just cuss you saw Jason Statham on a movie doing them for show.

The thing about injuries is that you can injure yourself on the very first one or it can take years to develop.

I am over my 30's so if I do something wrong I know almost immediately and takes a shit long to heal, your probably in your 20's so you can afford to get injure, I say keep doing them until you feel that aching pain that starts somewhere and burst down your spine.

Then find a better exercise
>>
>>41128901
that's not using your shoulder idiot, it's your lats and the long head of the triceps(?), and a completely legit way to do pushdowns
>>
>>41128855
The most common mistake is not going to the gym
>>
Lunk alarm?
>>
>>41128855
>too much weight in triceps pushdown
i dont understand this
i did heavy pushdowns with small reps for a few weeks and my dips went through the roof afterwards
>>
>>41129505
Did you manage to keep your form? Were your shoulders straight and elbows aligned? Than you did you alright.
When people put too much weight, their shoulders go up and their elbows are dancing around.
>>
I just wanted to find a place to complain about this and this thread was perfect thanks.
> Doing rows 4x30 for to help with endurance training
> Last set
> Arch my back slightly to finish it out
> Well I'm sure it's fine and no one will say anything because there are more people with worse form here
> 4 fucking people stop me to tell me not to arch my back
> Highlights include a guy who showed me I should snorkle the pad and lie as flat as possible to do rows and an African guy who pulled me from my last set of torso rotations to take me back to the row machine then accused me of arching my back while jerking at the machine
> Talking to people in the gym was a mistake.
>
>>
>>41128958
Me and my brother also have probs with lateral raises, try WIDE grip upright rows and/or machine lateral raises, they work great for us.
>>
>>41129532
oh that
yeah i kept my form just did more strength focused training rather than the usual hypertrophy on the machine
i think machines are pretty good for breaking plateaus if you train for strength, since they isolate the muscle pretty good
>>
>>41129119
Maybe they were using it for the vastus lateralis?
Did you ever stop and think about that?
No you didnt you cuck snowflake because everything is about you and your stupid opinions.
>>
>>41128902
if i had a dollar for everytime i see some wannabe fitness chick or your typical curlbro dyel doing a fucking rowing lat pulldown motion, whew boi, i would be pretty wealthy by now
>>
>>41128881
Underrated.
>>
>>41131751
>machines are pretty good for breaking plateaus if you train for strength, since they isolate the muscle pretty good
yup, very good for breaking plateaus, but honestly, any movement that differs from the main movement is
>>
>>41128855
>train calves
>chicks only using the machines
>CURLING IN THE FUCKING SQUATRACK
>elderly people using the assisted dips and only bending in the shoulders
>elderly people using the assisted dips to jump on while holding the grips
>lanky ass dyels benching in the smithmachine
>>
>>41131087
okay, will do. Thank you ma man.
>>
>>41132153
>train calves
What's wrong with this?

>CURLING IN THE FUCKING SQUATRACK
kek, how do you even do this?
>>
>>41132172
training calves is like taking a shit and then just walk off, without wiping nor flushing, you just DONT do it.

curling in the squatrack is easy, you go up to the squatrack, grip the empty bar, and start curling away, plenty of people in my gym does it, and i want to fucking bash their head in
>>
>>41132246
But why? The muscle doesn't grow?

> you go up to the squatrack, grip the empty bar, and start curling away, plenty of people in my gym does it
This seems retarded. The bar is raising vertically, and curling implies a ROM
>>
>>41132153

>bench in smth

fuck off retard, just started gym and I want to actually get comfortable with weights and find out what I can handle without decapitating myself before moving to normal bench.
>>
>>41132246

What kind of stupid logic is that for calves, that's one of the muscles sloots are most attracted to you bet your ass I'm gonna train those fuckers
>>
>>41129007
I do partial ROM squats because I have long femurs and short shins.
>>
>>41128913
there is a spanish dude on my gym that cheats on every exercise, he do this fucking exercise like he is doind a cheat pull down, then he bent his back end lower his head so the bar touches the back of his head, its so fucking retarded it hurts
>>
File: 1492461878215.jpg (45KB, 600x820px) Image search: [Google]
1492461878215.jpg
45KB, 600x820px
>>41132281
You can only get comfortable with free weights if you actually use free weights
>>
>Scared cats deadlifting
It's funny, people always claim no one deadlifts but they seem very common in my area, 5+ different commercial/college gyms. But only a couple people know correct form and they're all ranked nationally in usapl/ipf/etc or have learned from them.
>>
>>41128855

That retarded full body swing and tuck-catch when someone is curling a dick load of weight that they have no business holding.

I use to work with this old man on an oil rig and when I was in the gym with him he would be doing that stupid move with 70s. None of that shit is going to your bicep, old man jesus christ.
>>
>>41129314
You just have a weird rigid body mejt
>>
File: master race.png (5KB, 601x298px) Image search: [Google]
master race.png
5KB, 601x298px
If you don't do them like this you are doing them wrong desu.

These will give you huge fucking triceps.
>>
>>41132351
I do now, but before that I couldn't properly tell when should I stop and not go for another rep and get stuck there. Found my approximate weights and reps I should be doing and saved myself from some embarrassing shit or hurting myself.
>>
>>41132281
So you'll build up the weights on a smith machine, then decide on what's going to be your working weight. Then you load up a bar with the same weights on a regular bench press and actually decapitate yourself for being such a dumb fucknut for benching in a fucking smith machine.
>>
>>41132389

Uh no your arms should be at your side and at a 90 degree angle before doing the pull down anything above that point isn't isolating the tris anymore
>>
>>41132409

>saving yourself from embarrassment
>benching in a smith machine

Pick 1 m8
>>
File: tricep-long-head-anatomy.jpg (29KB, 268x255px) Image search: [Google]
tricep-long-head-anatomy.jpg
29KB, 268x255px
>>41132443
>not dynamically incorporating the long head of your triceps
>not actually making full use of the biggest part of your triceps
>not getting fucking bighuge arms

You're never going to make it if you keep regurgitating PT memes.

Note how it attaches to the scapula.
>>
File: received_1217575168270751.jpg (21KB, 367x506px) Image search: [Google]
received_1217575168270751.jpg
21KB, 367x506px
>>41128855
>not listening to anime soundtracks while lifting
>>
>>41132416

of course I didn't go all out first time benching normally, but by the time I was done with smith I had improved my form because I could focus on it more with 'heavier' weights than just jerking empty bar on bench. All I am saying its a fine start for inexperienced fucks like me.
>>
>>41132508
absolutely

Just gotta make sure people moving on after a week of Smith machines
>>
>>41128855
>>too much weight in triceps pushdown
There isn't enough weight possible, m8.
Unless you stack fucking dumbells on top, you should be able to fully control the eccentric part of the movement with the full stack, while doing 12-20 rep sets.

Unless you can't even bench 3pl8, then that's OK, everybody was weak once. But don't give out stupid advice.
>>
>>41128874
>>41128897
Depends on why you do pushdowns in the first place.

If it's pump chasing before other heavy movements, than why the fuck not?
If not, than why the fuck are you doing tricep pushdowns in the first place?
>>
>>41129165
This. People who are smart do not work as PT.
>>
>>41132277

How the fuck else do you do curls?

He's not talking about a smith machine. All free weight curls can have a full ROM
>>
>>41128913
>don't pull or push anything behind your head

Behind the head barbell raises with low weight <= 40lbs is great for building your shoulders
>>
>>41128855
>bad form on bench and DL
> not doing full ROM
>Curling in the power rack
>>
>>41129012
I do upright rows on cables, allows for more rotation than the barbell, works pretty well, dont feel any pain.
>>
>>41132739
>he can do 220 lbs in triceps pushdown
That's the maximum weight the machine at my gym has. Record you doing it please.

>>41133134
Sorry, thought he was talking about the smith maching.
>>
>>41128855
What's too much weight on tricep pulldown mean?
>>
>>41134822
not able to main a proper form
>>
>>41132494
Post pics of your triceps.
>>
>>41128855
>watches what other people do in the gym

jesus. just focus on yourself, strong guy.
>>
>>41128855
>>
>>41128855
>bar doesn't touch chest when benching
most people go heavy and half rep, I see it all the time at my gym
>>
>>41135147
people watching is the only thing you can do between sets if you have no friends to text.
>>
File: 1491177911404.png (125KB, 298x291px) Image search: [Google]
1491177911404.png
125KB, 298x291px
>>41135147
oh i can't stare into space for 3 minutes between heavy sets, fuck me
>>
File: jojo13.jpg (49KB, 690x418px) Image search: [Google]
jojo13.jpg
49KB, 690x418px
>>41132500
The only anime soundtrack you need to listen to while lifting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
>>
>>41129051
shrugs are fine, never did anything for me but they won't hurt you

What the other people in the thread are talking about is fucking up your rotator cuff.

Your traps can actually hold an ungodly amount of weight compared what you can actually move with compounds.
>>
>>41132281
start with the bar until you get comfortable then
smith machine won't prepare you for real bench
>>
>>41129012
Knew this would be Jeff before I opened the link. Have learned a lot from his videos
>>
>>41133159
it's still gonna tear your rotator cuffs, just slowly
>>
>>41129120
>fucking big white booty
>>
>>41129165
Your arms need to be at 90 degrees tho (forearms to the ground)
>>
Is it good to do a bench press routine and a curl/bicep routine during the same workout? I tend to do alternate between benching and pull ups/curls until I have done 5 straineous sets of each. Im just asking if it is good to workout biceps and triceps during the same gym trip.
>>
>>41128855
>>too much weight in triceps pushdown

I've always wondered about this. why can I do the entire stack for 12 with perfect form?

Pretty much just avoid machines at all costs but if you gotta use one cables is ok
>>
>>41132494
SkepticalAnimeGirl.jpg

Sounds like some top-tier broscience, if you ask me. And by "top-tier", I mean it in the sense that it's so obscure and esoteric, it comes across as highly believable; which makes it an excellent example of broscience.
>>
>>41132281
I waited until I could bench 60 lbs dumbells before going to bench press
>>
>>41132389
I do them like this and the triceps are one of the muscles I find burn the most once I'm done a full workout
>>
dipping the dumbbells forward is a common myth for lateral shoulder raises, you wanna do the opposite
>>
>>41136877
its not broscience. he probably learned it from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I
>>
>>41135995
>not practising your dick sucking with two plates on your head
>>
>>41128863
fpbp
>>
>>41128855
warming up with the bar
>>
>>41128855
Anybody else prefer to do tricep extensions to pushdowns? Standing in front of the mirror, I feel like a badass doing them.
>>
>>41136004
I know, but the guy wasn't talking about forearms. He said that the grip should be like in a bench press
>>
>>41135154
Not OP but he probably means people doing squat into a good morning
>>
>>41130960
Tell them to fuck off and stop being a fucking pussy beta.
>>
>>41128913
Snatch Presses are GOAT, you just lack flexibility
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.