[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deadlift Grip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: grip.jpg (23KB, 511x214px) Image search: [Google]
grip.jpg
23KB, 511x214px
Am I the only motherfucker here who uses double overhand grip? I can pull more weight with the over/under grip but why would/should I pull that way? I feel like a nerd for using proper grip.
>>
>>41049880
>I can pull more weight with the over/under grip but why would/should I pull that way?

stupid
>>
>why would/should I pull that way?
>I can pull more weight with the over/under grip
i wonder why you should pull that way
>>
Double pronated grip is limited by your grip strength. Alternates grip removes that limit so you can pull heavier.

If your grip isn't failing on your max there's no reason to switch to alternating.
>>
>>41049880

How much do you deadlift?
Limiting yourself due to some silly sense of superiority is pointless. You're just holding yourself back.
Why not take it further and use an axle bar because having rotating collars makes it easier to lift the weight? Why not lift rocks you find outdoors instead of using a well balanced bar? You get the idea.

You can train your forearms in so many ways, but you can't really replace the stimulus provided by deadlifting the heaviest barbell you can.
>>
>>41049900
>>41049902
t. ego lifters
>>
>>41049880
The deadlift isn't primarily a grip exercise, why are you making it into one? You're losing out on using weight that is actually challenging to the primary muscles you're supposed to train. Your grip will keep increasing, but it's unlikely to ever match or exceed your pull capacity.
>>
>>41049919
i can pull like 3 plate with double overhand for reps. almost 4 plate with under/over but not quite
>>
>>41049900
>>41049902
>>41049919

t. fat powershitter
>>
>>41049931
>>41049914
that makes sense but what about muscular imbalances after using the alternative grip for so long
>>
File: Screenshot_20170412-135104.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170412-135104.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>Alternate grip
You'll end up like a juiced up cuasimodo
>>
>>41050018

I guarantee I look better than you AND deadlift more than you.
I can prove it if you care to post a pic of yourself, but I know you won't.
>>
HOOK GRIP
O
O
K
G
R
I
P
>>
>>41050026
oh dom, classic
>>
>>41050024
Literally a meme

I've always used alternate grip and I'm fine
>>
>>41050024
H o o k. G r i p
>>
I don't really see the reason using alternate grip unless you compete. If your grip strength falls behind just use straps or versa grips or liquid chalk or even fucking gloves. It's not like doing alternate grip would yield better gains.
>>
>>41050068
do you not feel the difference in your lats though when you pull?
>>
>>41049923
point of deadlifts is to use your posterior chain to lift as much as possible, not your fucking forearms
>>
>>41049880
I fell for the over under grip meme.
My left bicep is half an inch bigger than my right now. I switched every other set.

Do double overhand. I beg you to learn from my mistakes
>>
Bicep tear
>>
>>41050134
well thats what im afraid of and thats why I dont do it. I honestly dont care if i cant pull 4 plate if it means being unbalanced
>>
>>41050092
Nope. It's fine.
>>
>>41049880
I have to disagree with the under over technique.
YES you can lift more weight. So?
Stand up and place your hands down to your side and suppinate/ pronate. Watch your anterior delt and see how it moves? In addition to that, you're not truly straight. If you start to teeter to one side, the underhand side tends to squeeze harder leading to the possibility of injury in the ligaments below the bicep brachii short head.

I personally recommend double overhand for grip strength. If you want to beat a PR or go HEAVIER than you normally can, grab some straps for THAT day, not every.

Best of luck, hope that sheds some light.
>>
>>41050091
>>41050091
>It's not like doing alternate grip would yield better gains.

It is compared to double overhand.
Chalk and double overhand still wouldn't equal mixed grip strength.
But of course straps would be another option.
>>
>>41050160
just switch which hands you do over and under hand with each workout? MAN HOW ARE YOU SO STUPID
>>
>>41049880
I use double overhand grip for the warm up, alternate grip for the working sets

That being said, should I deadlift on pull or on leg day?
>>
I deadlift 6plate using mixed grip. I have no noticeable imbalances or anything. Just adding my shit to the fray.
>>
>>41050150
Don't try to curl the weight then
>>
>>41049979
I pull doh 455 for reps but once I get to 5 pl8 I have to pull over/under anything beyond or hook grip but I don't recommend you doing that. You still train your grip when it's over under. I only ever use straps for amrap deadlifts and barbell rows.
>>
>>41050192
Everyone crying about imbalances are weak shits who don't know what they're talking about
>>
>>41050190
bro i got too much on my mind to keep track of what hand was over/under last time I deadlifted
>>
>>41050191
pull day fa sho
>>
If you're afraid of creating imbalances from mixed grip, start learning using hook grip. Chances are you don't deadlift very much at this point, so you'll get used to the pain in your thumbs by the time you get to respectable weights.

It's superior to mixed grip in the long run anyway.
>>
>>41049880
i use double overhand because i like my biceps
>>
>>41050024
Can't you just alternate your alternations?
>>
>>41050253

>implying you'll ever be strong enough to tear a biceps
>>
Why do people love mixed grip but hate straps? I don't use either rn (Beginner, only pull 2.5pl8s) but I want to start using straps once my grip starts hindering me

Neither of these work your grip, but one keeps you safe from injury/imbalances

I tried hook grip a lot of times but I'm probably doing something wrong since my grip gives away faster than on double overhand
>>
>>41049880
You can do double overhand if you want but you're just gimping yourself if you don't do O/U or hook. You won't have muscular imbalances, but even if you did they would be very slight and only noticable if you were a bodybuilder who deadlifts every other day for a decade with O/U and goes up on stage.

Tl;dr do O/U you'll be fine and you will be able to pick up a hell of a lot more weight which means more progress
>>
>>41050255
you mean like alternate each set? Id have to add an extra set to even it out then
>>
>>41050279

People hate on things because they are insecure.
Also common theme is that people who hate on stuff tend to be weak and also have no proof whenever they do claim to have decent stats.

I sometimes use straps when my grip is really struggling, but I prefer mixed grip purely because I don't like the time it takes to set up with straps, I like to grip and rip.
>>
>>41049880
I tend to do all my warm ups as double overhand grip until I get to my max where I'll use alternate.

Truth be told I find double overhand the most comfortable but as others have said, when grip strength will limit your new PR alternate will have to do. A side got progressively stronger, my double overhand has gotten stronger.

Tldr: alternate when grip strength dictates how much you can pull.
>>
>>41050024
Chiming in to agree that this is a meme. My lats and traps look completely fine, and I have no functional imbalances either.. I've pulled with the same hand supinated on heavy sets for years. I'm now at a 585 lb deadlift weighing 193. Unless you do some really goofy irregular shit when pulling, you shouldn't have any noticeable imbalances.
>>
>>41050312
As I not a side, fuck you autocorrect.
>>
>>41050091
Of course it can yield better gains. I've pulled 445 double overhand, but I've pulled 585 with a mixed grip. Are you saying that pulling 4 plate for DOH triples is going to have the same training effect on my body as pulling 5 plate triples with mixed grip?
>>
>>41050279
Mixed grip certainly works your grip. The reason you don't think it does is because you're a beginner that's never done a heavy deadlift in his life.
>>
>>41050255
It carries over between workouts
>>
>>41050361
Meant for >>41050293
>>
Use both, it's not fucking rocket biology. I pull 450x1 and 400x8 double overhand, but I also do a lot of axle deadlifting which you need to mix grip for.
>>
>>41049880
it's impossible for me to use the left one after a certain weight.
>>
>>41050383
ah
>>
File: 12.jpg (151KB, 524x524px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
151KB, 524x524px
I CHALK MY HANDS AND SEIZE IT

I CLENCH MY FISTS AND LIFT IT

I RAISE MY BAR AND PUSH IT

I AM THE BEAST I WORSHIP
>>
File: 1491696735666.jpg (71KB, 495x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491696735666.jpg
71KB, 495x450px
>>41049923
Says the guy worrying about how his grip makes him look in the gym
>>
>>41050355
That's not anecdotal evidence lol. I've heard it a lot both from /fit/ and from other sources.
>>
File: squat-slide.png (17KB, 1053x625px) Image search: [Google]
squat-slide.png
17KB, 1053x625px
>>41049880
>but why would/should I pull that way
You probably shouldn't as it isn't the best grip, but it's better than double overhand and the answer is because you can lift more weight.

>>41049914
Correct answer

>>41050024
Imbalances only become a concern after around 250kg+ or 3x bodyweight+ in my general experience. At that point you're way past using over/underhand grip anyway so it doesn't really matter.
ITT: People argue over which is better of the two shitter grips.

Train proper grip as early as you want and you don't have to mess around with overhand and overhand/underhand
>>
>>41050823
I'm pretty tired as I'm reading this, but

>Train proper grip

Which one is this? The alternate one?
>>
EVERYONE

JUST READ
https://stronglifts.com/deadlift/
>>
>not using grip strength clamps on off days

LOL not gonna make it
>>
>>41051101
Hook grip
>>
>>41051965
>off days
Talk about not making it
>>
If your grip is limiting your deadlift and you're not at least 5 plates harden those forearms the fuck up.

If above 5 plates, use straps

Unless you don't want to have biceps anymore, go for that alternate grip with the rest of those who will never make it
>>
>>41049900
>Alternate grip
>Tear bicep
>??????
>$$$$
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.