[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idk where else to ask this, but it seems the most appropriate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (3KB, 281x180px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 281x180px
Idk where else to ask this, but it seems the most appropriate here.

Where does someone go for swim lessons if they have a terrifying fear of water? I never learned how to swim because I had two near-drowning experiences as a kid and my parents never pushed me to take lessons. I've tried looking online, but fear-overcoming lessons are either out of state, or cost $1500. I'd ask a friend, but I don't have any. It seems like all the lessons for adults are aimed at improving technique. Do you guys have any ideas that might help? Thanks /fit/
>>
File: 1362590568351.jpg (97KB, 825x960px) Image search: [Google]
1362590568351.jpg
97KB, 825x960px
>>41035664
I think if you just tell the instructors of your phobia and see if they can come up with something.

so start looking at the regular training courses, and go from there to find one that suits you best.
>>
>>41035664
Splash in beach, use uni/college pool (lel if your uni doesnt have one, poorfag), get used to being in water is the way to get over it.

Got over it in one semester by being consistent.
>>
File: 1487712977068.jpg (16KB, 222x260px) Image search: [Google]
1487712977068.jpg
16KB, 222x260px
>>41036397
>>
>>41036397
I've actually done that a few times, although probably not as consistently as you. Any pool with a lifeguard makes me self-conscious. Also I'm graduating in a couple weeks, so no more uni pool. But the times I have been in the water, I'm able to go under (which took years) and I can do what I call "drowning with style", where I can 'swim' for a short distance but not even half a lap down the lane I'm falling under and out of breath. And I realize part of that is poor technique. But I'm also suppressing an incipient panic attack, which doesn't help. I have a phobia that I need help overcoming and I was kind of hoping there were specific lessons I could take to overcome it
>>
>>41035664
go swim in some knee deep water, there is no possible way of drowning and you can learn to float and paddle in it.
>>
>>41036573
Like I said in >>41036552 I've sort of tried that before. How would I work up to the point of swimming in not-shallow water? I've attempted to tread water, and I don't think I'm able to. But would it be different in deeper water?
>>
The YMCA usually has adult classes for people who have never swam before.
>>
File: IMG_0211.jpg (58KB, 636x954px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.jpg
58KB, 636x954px
>$1500
I recommend asking around at PTO meetings, a dad will unsuspectingly throw you in the deep end for free and laugh heartily as you almost drown and as his wife contemplates divorce for the fifth time that week

T. son
>>
File: 1490265446246.gif (2MB, 300x270px) Image search: [Google]
1490265446246.gif
2MB, 300x270px
>>41036934
I've thought about that since I'm actually finishing up an internship there. The one I'm at doesn't have anything for adult non-swimmers. You're right though, some other location nearby might have something. Thanks
>>41036992
If you're not being facetious, I had a similar experience with an aunt. Shit sucks
>>
>>41035664
Sorry about the phobia, bro. I would look into ymca classes or something similar and see if you can talk to the instructor beforehand/send an email. they would be far more knowledgable about who to talk to/where to go for this, or even might offer to help you themselves.

good on you for wanting to deal with the problem, man- keep with it. maybe try meditating before getting in the pool to splash around. make little goals for yourself and watch how2swim vids on youtube
>>
>>41036934
>>41037452
Just wanted to say thanks and let you guys I messaged a local Y for more info on a class that looks promising. Thanks for the help and wish me luck
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.