[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stalled squat - Beginner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: 1490736550475.jpg (585KB, 654x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1490736550475.jpg
585KB, 654x1024px
I started lifting again after a 3-4 month break (moved across country), but my lifts were all beginner tier before the break too. I've managed to progress my DL to 155x5 in the past 2 months, but my squat has suffered greatly. I can only manage 100lbs for 3x5, I've done more and was on track to get to lmao 1pl8 but during the last 2 months my shoulders started bothering me and I took a break from back squats until they felt fine again. I deloaded after the shoulder problems but now I'm not able to increase the weight again, and as a beginner I should be able to increase the weight from day to day.

What is going on? I suspected that maybe my form was off somehow, but my boyfriend saw nothing wrong except for on my last set and last reps I started leaning onto my toes a bit when tired-- but I'm not sure if he'd even be able to dissect my form all that well, he barely squats anymore.
>>
>>41012294
what is your weight, height and how many calories do you eat a day?
>>
Also, I definitely eat enough and get enough protein. I don't think that is the issue.
>>
File: rin-nakai.jpg (466KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rin-nakai.jpg
466KB, 683x1024px
>>41012302
5'6 145 1600-1800 depending on if I've lifted that day or not. I'm trying to recomp and don't want to cut again (was cutting at 1200 a day and lost 30lbs before I moved, gained 15 back)
>>
>>41012294

So youre a girl correct? Your numbers don't sound bad. I would just reduce weight slightly on squat so u can do 5x5. Keep resting and once a week or less try to do one or two rep max squats, then slowly build up. Maybe get a bar pad or switch to low bar if it's uncomfortable.
>>
File: 1485708732025.jpg (6KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
1485708732025.jpg
6KB, 222x227px
Your shoulders shouldn't hurt during squats. That's a form issue. The bar only needs to rest on your back, with your hands stablizing it. Mess around with your grip and bar position until you find something that feels comfortable.
>>
>>41012558
It was actually a mobility issue, and me having my grip too close (thanks for telling me to widen my grip, rippetoe.) I fixed it now and found some great shoulder stretches, but my squat is still poopoo. Thanks anon, I'll keep messing with it and see what is best.

>>41012484
I don't need the pad for the bar, it seems to rest fine without pain or discomfort. Switching to low bar might help, I'll try it. Only thing is, I have to lean forward more in low bar.. correct? I think I saw Alan Thrall say something along the lines of "you won't be able to keep your back as upright in low bar squats as you do in high bar because of the positioning."
>>
>>41012609
Yeah you have to lean forward a bit in low bar.

I don't really like low bar because of the risk of butt wink but iirc it engages glutes and hams more.
>>
>>41012664
Pic related is what I found on form. I'll try it out. I'll probably have to deload when switching to low bar, right?

Ty anon
>>
>>41012664
It does because it's much more similar to deadlifts, high bar are much more quad dominant.
>>
>>41012698
I dunno. I feel like I like I can lift more weight low bar than high so I don't think you'll have an issue. Just be careful of your depth.
>>
>>41012861
By "be careful of your depth", do you mean no ATG in low bar?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.