[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 5/3/1 the best intermediate program for aesthetics+strength?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 531.jpg (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
531.jpg
183KB, 1920x1080px
Is 5/3/1 the best intermediate program for aesthetics+strength?
>>
>>40984167
what is that
>>
>>40984167
Probably beyond 5/3/1 is better.
>>
>>40984229
This. BBB is good, but I prefer doing Beyond 5/3/1
>>
>>40984229
>>40984232
Why do you say that? Just curious.
>>
>>40984167

5/3/1 is dogshit.
>>
>>40984451

You're dogshit
>>
>>40984451

no its not. From my experience most people who run it seem to not progress aswell on one lift, for me it was bench press. My squat went from 405 to 455 in like 5 months. Crazy squat gains for me and I was plateauing hard at 405 for forever
>>
>>40984167
nah texas method or candito 6 week
>>
File: 531programming.png (82KB, 737x653px) Image search: [Google]
531programming.png
82KB, 737x653px
This is the program I was looking at
>>
>>40984471
Those are both just strength programs...
>>
>>40984478

I don't know wtf that is but it isn't Wendler's 5/3/1
>>
>>40984487
when i saw 5/3/1 i thought op was asking about strength programs and didn't read past that. 5/3/1 is not exactly an aesthetic program and it's not the best strength program
>>
>>40984167
>Jim Wendler's program
>picture of Eric Spoto, Stan Efferding, and Creed Childress
>>
>>40984438
You do your big lifts more often, which was the big downfall about 5/3/1 for intermediate people who weren't trying to get a 500 squat to a 600 squat.
>>
>>40984167
Not OP, but anybody actually try 5/3/1 here? Was looking at it and wondering if anyone has had success with it.
>>
>>40984487
Texas is a strength training "template" designed for NFL college kids to be run alongside training, so it's great for adding on mass/strength to your prime movers (legs/glutes, abs/back, chest).

You're going to be building the base of your physique for a few years if you want to look full-bodied and jacked.

So take the template which has a perfectly good 5x5 rep scheme and training frequency/periodisation appropriate for an intermediate, then add some arm/shoulder accessories on Mon/Fri after your main lifts.

Keeps you doing the exercises that will always give you the most return, continues to focus on building that core platform, and keeps your arms and shoulders falling behind.

It's what I did for about 9 months after squeezing as much as I could out of my novice phase for about 2 years (Shouldve transitioned to intermediate programming much earlier) and I absolutely blew up in the first 6 months. Anecdotal I know, but I think everyone should run texas at some point during their training life.
>>
>>40984478
that's more for pseudobeginners.
If you wanna do a real 5/3/1 which might be better for you, read the book and Beyond 5/3/1.

>>40984552
plenty of people. read the books so you actually understand it.
>>
>>40984438
The original 5/3/1 is just a 4 days brosplit centered on the 4 main lift while beyond 5/3/1 is 3 days full body workout. Basically you're hitting the body parts more often in beyond although you can still tweak the original through bbb
>>
It's a stupid ripoff of the high school program that Wendler did when he played ball, called Bigger Faster Stronger. Compared to BFS, 5/3/1 wimps out by doing only one main lift a session, takes a deload week instead of doing high-reps, lacks density of work at the top end, and gives Wendler money that he doesn't deserve.

Fuck his percentages, his "90% training max," and his bullshit. Here's how to fix his abortion and bring it closer to BFS and probably even a bit better.

Do TWO main lifts a day and workout THREE times a week. IOW pick SIX LIFTS. Maybe Squat and Bench, Deadlift and Press, and FrontSquat and CloseGripBench.

Do the 3x3 as sets across and track it Rippetoe style, no percentages.
Do the 5x5 same way.
Do the 5-3-1 ramping 80%-90%-100% of target, raise the target if you get it, recycle 5% if you don't.
Last week, do 10-8-6 ramping 80-90-100% of target. (if you do any Olympics do 4-4-2 here, BFS recommends that for Deadlifts too but YMMV)
Then go back to the 3x3 week.

Pick out like 6 or 9 accessory movements that you like. Do 3 each day. 2x10. Don't sweat their progression too much.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.