[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books did /fitlit/ make you decide to pick up? I went out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 14

File: fitlit.jpg (70KB, 800x343px) Image search: [Google]
fitlit.jpg
70KB, 800x343px
What books did /fitlit/ make you decide to pick up?
I went out today and purchased Ride the Tiger, sounded good.
>>
Not /fitlit/ recommendations per se, but I'm reading JK Huysman's La-bas and Ilija Trojanow's The Lamentations of Zeno. Pretty fun so far.
>>
i can't read
>>
I've always read books voraciously. University has certainly slowed my pace down, but I have a few books im currently reading
>Celtic Myths and Legends
>Herodotus "The Histories"
I want to finish Celtic Myths before finals begin, then I can really sit down and enjoy the Landmark Herodotus with all the notes and annotations I could ever desire

I'm also doing audio lecture courses from "The Great Courses" series when I am out running. I just finished Era of the Crusades, and now am on The World of Byzantium, then followed by "Turning points of Islam"
>>
>>40955778
Herodotus is dope. I read it in high school and it freaked my teachers out. They thought I was a liar.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>40955791
The snippets I've heard from Dan Carlin make it sound highly readable. I'm also happy my copy is a virtual compendium that'll aid me in appreciating the work more. Pic related
>>
File: 1360187631254[1].jpg (27KB, 218x331px) Image search: [Google]
1360187631254[1].jpg
27KB, 218x331px
>>
>>40955854
I had like a generic Barnes and Noble edition but it's good. Better than Homer. I told my ap English teacher we should be reading it instead of the Odyssey and this is what sparked the disbelief. Pussy ass bitch. Jk he was actually a based teacher otherwise.
>>
Where do you guys get audiobooks?
>>
>>40955876
Kek.
>>
File: IMG_0175.jpg (49KB, 287x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0175.jpg
49KB, 287x475px
>>40955712
All quiet on the western front
>>
>>40955925
I usually pirate em. Or you can use the free credits on audible by doing a trial membership and trying out a book from their. I listen to my audio lecture series from there, as I use the extra credits family members have (my family doesn't like audiobooks).

You want any reccomendations? What are you interested in?

If you want to avoid paying for audiobooks, you can always listen to podcasts on some topics. I have a wide range of those too.
>>
>>40955712
Let's have /fitlit/ generals. I'm almost done with book 2 of the Hyperion cantos
>>
>>40955876
hahaha
>>
>>40955876
thats actually a good book too desu
>>
>>40955959
Yeah, I'd usually just turn to piracy, but my mind just blanks out when the time comes to search for torrents.

I have pretty broad interests, so I guess academic lectures on random subjects would be fun. Two recent ones I enjoyed were on food culture in recently industrialized America, and the late Bronze Age collapse. I've never been able to sit down and read epic poetry, so maybe stuff like the Epic of Gilgamesh or Dante?

I dunno, just trying to find that sweet spot of being engaging enough to grab my interest without being dense enough that I have to stop what I'm doing and focus entirely - I like listening/watching things when running or doing meal prep.
>>
Not sure if it's /lit/ approved but I'm halfway through House of Leaves and it's one of the more interesting books I've read recently. Pretty spooky too, at least for me.
>>
>>40955712
>/lit/
>delusional autists think reading fiction makes you smart or knowledgable rather than just being mental masturbation
>>
File: IMG_8697.jpg (350KB, 650x1004px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8697.jpg
350KB, 650x1004px
>>40956157
If you want a podcast more about a narrative with a light plumbing of depth, then "The History of Rome" is a fantastic podcast. It's finished, and it stretches from the mythological founders Romulus and Remus to the deposition of Romulus Augustukus in 476 AD. It has the benefit of improving over time, and the host is great.

I also recommend any of "The Great Courses" lecture series. There's plenty of torrents up, but I recommend "Alexander and the Macedonian Empire" as a good starting series. He's a interesting character, and the narrative is in-depth enough whereby you get various contrasted theories and implications. I can send a free audible book to you if you want, provided you haven't already received one for free via email yet.

I also reccomend "Lore" podcast if you want 20 minute episodes about spooky subjects, ranging from folklore to murderers to strange occurrences. All are little narratives.
>>
>>40956234
That's no reason we can't take a few book recommendations from them. Reading is good for brain gains.
>>
No more mr nice guy and the flinch are good books
>>
File: IMG_5340.jpg (124KB, 480x681px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5340.jpg
124KB, 480x681px
>>40955712
Nothing to do with F&L but started this mediocre book
>>
>>40956469
it's a NYT best seller though!!!!!! must be good!!!!!!!!
>>
>>40956157
Epic of Gilgamesh has no good translation and never will. Divine Comedy is good.
>>
>>40956240
Cool, thanks for the recommendations!
>>40956643
After all this time? That's a shame.
>>
Still downloading the 170+ Gig library. I'll put off reading until that's done.
>>
My recs are Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary and Hell's Angels. Not classics, but he was a revolutionary journalist
>>
>>40956469
Guns, germs and steel was better
>>
>>40956655
It wasn't discovered all that long ago (compared to other works). The languages it was written in are not like English at all. You know where sometimes Chinese and Japanese etc writers ad an extra layer of meaning by using certain characters that sound out one thing but also have another meaning of their own written down? Sumerian had something similar to that but much more integral to the actual meaning of a word.
>>
>>40955712
You picked up Ride the Tiger? Which bookstore carries Evola? Seems he's too niche for the big chain stores and the indie stores are owned by shitlibs who refuse to carry a "fascist".
>>
>>40956847
Indigo. I'm in Canada. Weirdly enough, it was in the "Occult & New Age" section. Had me scratching my head
>>
File: IMG_0171.jpg (108KB, 1024x786px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0171.jpg
108KB, 1024x786px
>>40956767
Oh good that book triggers my high school PTSD
> 9th grade ending
> in century honor global
> told about AP global by teacher
> in order to get in had to do a book report on G,G,and G
> wort summer in my life (15 year old just want to watch anime)
> come back to school
> budget cut takes out AP global
>Throw notebook with repot in it out the window
>>
>>40956860
He was into magick and shit and was friends with Crowley.
>>
>>40956896
Holy shit lol. I'm just starting the book today obviously, but I thought he was a Christian or something. Never heard of a fascist being involved in occult shit. This is going to be an interesting read for sure
>>
>>40956912
>Never heard of facist occultists
Do yourself a favor anon, and read up on the early Nazi party. FULL of occultists and new agey ideas.
>>
I am currently reading Eisenhower the white house years, are there any other books that are as informative on the cold war?
>>
>>40956922
>Do yourself a favor anon, and read up on the early Nazi party. FULL of occultists and new agey ideas.
I thought that was all tinfoil shit. I'd heard about satanist nazis and nazis talking to ayy lmaos. I'll give it a look though, sounds interesting, thanks for the tip
>>
I did as recommended and started with the Greeks. Got myself the Odyssey since it sounds like a fun read.

Also go Sun and Steel from Mishima which is very enjoyable, waiting on Confessions of a Mask to arrive.
>>
>>40955957
Same, going for Journey to the end of night next.
>>
File: 1487069584150.jpg (2MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
1487069584150.jpg
2MB, 4961x3508px
>>
>>40956689
Link?
>>
>>40955712
Read The Stranger, reading A Farewell to Arms, next will read The Republic
>>
>>40955854

E

N

D

Q

U

O

T

E
>>
>>40955712
None. Reading books doesn't make you smart. Only experience can do that.
>>
>>40957640
It adds to vocabulary and gives you knowledge. What's bad about that?
>>
File: Byzantium3.png (61KB, 805x673px) Image search: [Google]
Byzantium3.png
61KB, 805x673px
re-reading the Alexiad by Anna Komnenos as part of more research for my current podcast. If a bit dated and obviously biased, it is the primary source on Alexios Komnenos.
>>
>>40957667
u doing a history podcast?
>>
File: Byzanfeels.png (2MB, 1489x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Byzanfeels.png
2MB, 1489x1068px
>>40957680

Yep, its called The Three Komnenos, its about the three major rulers of the Komnenian Dynasty. Heres a link to the intro episode if you want to check it out.

https://soundcloud.com/user-917120732/sets/the-three-komnenos-a-history
>>
>>40957489
Not sure why Notes from Underground is here over Dostoyevsky's other works. Almost everything of note from Notes was also in Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov incorporated a lot of C&P + The Idiot.
>>
Read most of these.

I know it looks like a meme site and the guy looks like a cuck, but he has a pretty good blog and podcast.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/

As far as real legit man shit goes? Most journals of explorers like Edge of the World about Magellan, Undaunted Courage about Lewis and Clark, Marco Polo travels etc.

Jack London is legit.

Book of Five Rings and the Life Giving Sword cool too.
>>
>>40957717
Sounds cool. I'll check it out.
>>
>>40955712
Storm of Steel
>>
>>40955876
Pretty enjoyable. Also check out Homage to Catalonia (Orwell's book on the war).

>>40957489
>Meditations
kek

>>40957612
Camus is good. If you like the stranger try The Plague and/or The Myth of Sisyphus. I've found that he's a good starting point for working towards more complex works like Remembrance of Things Past. Concerning Plato: start with the Greeks.

>>40956643
I'd also suggest Paradise Lost if you liked The Divine Comedy.

>>40957750
Probably because it's well known, shorter and good entry point. Not his best, but accessible.
>>
>>40957717
Thanks my dude I'll definitely listen to this on my commute
>>
honestly i'm re-reading song of ice and fire. its really the most GOAT tier writing, even though its not really /lit/.

i read half of doestoevsky main works, and read a handful of tolstoy as well as other classical authors over many years, and I'd say GRR Martin has as much if not more depth/insight about people in his books.
>>
>>40955925
I use audiobookbay, mostly for Big Finish stuff
>>
File: 1490406042358.png (337KB, 1144x888px) Image search: [Google]
1490406042358.png
337KB, 1144x888px
Why is /fitlit/ a thing when /fitsci/ would actually make sense? Think about it, fitness is basically a science, and if you're not STEM you're a brainlet. Why would you waste your time reading boring ass books?
>>
>>40959111
>if you're not STEM you're a brainlet
t. pajeet
>>
>>40959140
t. starbucks barista
>>
>>40959160
Good luck not getting your job outsourced
>>
>>40959180
No need, job market is great for competent STEM students

Good luck doing anything notable with that English degree
>>
>>40959198
>Implying I would have a pleb English degree
>>
I'm currently reading Bill Bryson: The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.
It's one of my favourites. I pick it up at least once a year usually after something long and dry.

This time it was Jung: Modern Man in Search of a Soul which was actually really interesting and fairly easy going but put me to sleep all the same.
Next up is Moby Dick. I've gotta read it but I've heard some shit. Some shit being that it's basically a whaling textbook with some kind of barebones story thrown in.
>>
>>40959180
good luck saving up for retirement
>>
>>40959209
English is probably one of the few somewhat respectable faggot majors, simply because you can teach students how to fucking use their native language. Lemme guess, you got a degree in women's studies because you thought it would get you laid, and now you're homeless AND a virgin.
>>
>>40959226
>women's studies
Are you implying I'm a retarded my dude? What's up with the autists in the STEM fields thinking that the only liberal arts are English and advanced faggotry?
>>
Studying English wouldn't be such a bad idea

Getting paid to go over to Asia and teach English to hot qtpie Asians doesn't sound too bad to me
>>
>>40959111
>implying STEM majors can't read books
>>
>>40956912
Vril society m80. They believed in all that hippy dippy "energy under the earth" bullshit before the hippy dippies.

In fact the groups usually referred to as "hippies" didn't get into this shit until the alphabet agencies had already penetrated a good chunk andbthe ckuntry in general had turned quite conservative.
>>
>>40959440
Why breed with an Asian?
>>
Anyone here like scifi?

Just read the important Dune books and want to move into another dope classic. How is Bicentennial Man?
>>
>>40956767
(((((guns, germs, and steel))))))))
> yes, yes, good goy!
>>
File: Burning_chrome.jpg (59KB, 350x443px) Image search: [Google]
Burning_chrome.jpg
59KB, 350x443px
Burning Chrome by William Gibson
>>
>>40959694
Asimov is one big blur to me 2bqh senpai. Robot series and Foundation series both suffer (but to a far lesser degree) the kind of quality drop you get in Dune because of franchise milking. So similar deal, first few books are alright, as you progress out they get shittier.
>>
>>40959694
Is dune worth the endeavor?
>>
>>40959694
Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons is a good series.
I really liked Hyperion, and Endymion best out of the four.
>>
File: 1486149149347.png (93KB, 171x278px) Image search: [Google]
1486149149347.png
93KB, 171x278px
>>40955876
>>
File: 8bg4abP.jpg (70KB, 393x325px) Image search: [Google]
8bg4abP.jpg
70KB, 393x325px
TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED TO SERRAPHINA YOU STUPID FUCKING CUNTS.
>>
>>40959862
Very much so. I'd say books 1 and 4 are essential, 2-3 not so much but handy to lay some groundwork for 4, and 5-6 get pretty weird so ymmv.

Ignore anything with his faggot son's name on it.
>>
>>40956767
That book is like annoying girlfriend, you tolerate her boring ass for days just for few fun hours.
>>
>>40956949
The Occult Origins of Nazism by Nicholas Goodrick-Clark is an excellent book
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.