[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advanced Novice Summary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 123456789.jpg (52KB, 373x499px) Image search: [Google]
123456789.jpg
52KB, 373x499px
SS General..

This part of the program gets quite confusing in the books, so I will try to summarize it here for anons who are trying to milk their last gains on SS and need a quicker reference.

In a perfect world, you would have progressed for about 18 weeks on SS without stopping on linear progression in a way similar to this:-

SS Phase 1 = Weeks 1-2
SS Phase 2 = Weeks 3-8
SS Phase 3 = Weeks 9-18

Summary of phases for people who haven't read SS yet.

Phase 1.
Day A: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
Day B: Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5, Deadlift 1x5

Phase 2.
Day A: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5
Day B: Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5, Power Clean 5x3

Phase 3. ['//' means alternate each workout]
Day A: Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5 // Power Clean 5x3
Day B: Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5, Back Extension or Glute Ham Raise 5x10, BW Chin-up 3xF (// Weighted Chin-up 3x5-7)
Note:
Chin-ups are done first bodyweight only 3xF.
If chin-up reps are consistently above 10 on all 3 sets, add weight to them for every other workout, so that failure happens at 5 to 7 reps.
This will increase the reps on the bodyweight-only days and increase arm and shoulder strength for the presses. As your bulking bodyweight increases, BW chin-ups will get harder and harder.

--------------------------
cont'd
>>
As you get closer to Intermediate during the final part of SS Phase 3 (i.e. you can no longer add weight during each workout), you can still try and delay your LP for a bit more by using these methods.

Case A. When you reach a plateau (you come from a linear increment but miss one or few reps during your new workout) try to find the reason for the missed rep(s).
If it was due to bad form / because you didn't get enough resting time from the previous set / you're feeling sick or exhausted from work today / other temporary and circumstantial causes, try the weight of your previous workout at your next workout and then re-try the weight with missed rep next time.
Ex. on the Press:

Wed -> 112 lbs (missed rep(s) - should have rested longer between sets, etc.)
Mon -> 110 lbs 3x5
Fri -> 112 lbs 3x5 (no missed reps)

If the above didn't work / you feel your body wasn't able to get enough recovery during rest day(s) / you didn't get enough sleep / didn't eat enough as you should have / etc., you should consider resetting the weight 10% lower.
So if you miss reps on the Press at 112 lbs on Wed, you would apply a 10% reset like this:-

Fri -> 110 lbs 3x5
Wed -> 112 lbs (missed reps)
==Reset @ ~10%==
Mon -> 100 lbs 3x5
Fri -> 105 lbs 3x5
Wed -> 110 lbs 3x5
Mon -> 112 lbs 3x5
In 2 weeks and a half you're back at your PR weight now without missing any reps.

cont'd
>>
Case B. When you miss reps for the first time but then at the next workout you become stubborn and try to keep pushing (but end up missing even more reps), you're gonna get even more stuck. And this takes even more time to recover from.
In this case you need a much harder reset to fix your situation:-

Mon -> 112 lbs (missed reps)
Fri -> 114 or 115 lbs (even more missed reps)
==Harder reset @ ~20% less==
Wed -> 95 lbs 1x5
Mon -> 100 lbs 1x5
Fri -> 105 lbs 3x5 ==reached ~10% less here==
Wed -> 110 lbs 3x5
Mon -> 112 lbs 3x5
Fri -> 115 lbs 3x5
And back again to your previous PR in more or less 4 weeks.
This shows that stubborness or ego lifting takes much longer to recover from.

cont'd
>>
Once you use Case A or B for resets twice per exercise, it is time to move on to the further actions to be taken below:-

==SQUATS==
#1 - Firstly, use Wed as a light squat 'recovery day'.
Squat a weight that is 20-40% less than Monday's.
Keep adding weight on Mon and Fri sessions only.

#1.5 - When #1 becomes tough, use back-off sets for Squat.
I.e. increase weight as usual for your first squat set only.
Then apply 5-10% reduction for sets 2 and 3. This applies only to Mon and Fri workouts.
On Wed workout, you should keep going with method #1: 20-40% less than the first heavy set of Monday and do that 3x5 with no back-offs.

==PRESSES AND CLEANS==
#2 - For Bench, The Press, use instead the 3x3 method. You increase weight (probably 2 lbs/1kg) and lift 3 sets by 3 reps only.
For Power Clean you do the same but 4 sets for 2 reps only.

==ALL==
#3 - Another method is to stretch your working week to "two days off, one day on".
E.g. Mon Wed Fri workout becomes Mon Thu Sun, Wed Sat Tue (over 2 weeks), etc.
In this scenario, every other Squat session will be a 'recovery day' like at #1. This means that you only have 1 heavy increasing squat session every 6 days.

You can try using the methods #1.5, #2, #3 above all at once or one by one according to what stalls first and how your body feels through recovery.

When you stall even while running these methods, you can consider applying the "Reset cases A or B" (according to how many times you've been missing reps) explained above, once or twice.

After that is done too, you should accept that your novice efforts have been exhausted and you are finally ready to start The Texas Method.
>>
fucking kill yourself SS meme fag sage in all paths
>>
>>40947400
You sure showed him
>>
I felt doing 3x3 sets across didn't give me enough intensity, but all your other points are solid. The light squat day on Wednesday especially becomes needed once you get further past 3pl8. (I managed to hit 355lb squat before moving onto a madcows cycle, then TM).

I've seen some get to a 400lb squat on the program but I had put on a large amount of fat which called for a cut at the end of the program. Surprisingly, I kept the vast majority of my strength gains.

Inb4 fell for SS meme. 80kg ohp and 120kg bench, that transferable strength kicked ass when I moved to TM and I was able to add some isolations.
>>
Read the book again

That's not SS
>>
>>40948060
gr8 b8
>>
>>40948040
Did you do LP squat all the way until 3pl8 adding weight each workout ?
How old are you?
>>
>>40948190
I managed LP on the squat till about 150kg before I needed the light wednesday, and really, I needed it more because it was interfering with my deadlifting as opposed to not being able to progress the squat.
>>
>>40948190
>>40948299
I was 23 years old when I did this. 25yr old now.
>>
>>40948305
dont think i can pull that off keeping on LP'ing between 2 to 3pl8 without any lighter day at my 31 yrs old. What do you think?
>>
>>40948401
If you're confident your diet and rest is in order then do what you need to do. I'm not a coach so I couldn't comment, but there are lifters in the SS forum in their middle age who can squat 400lbs+ for reps. That might be a better source of info.
>>
>>40948040
>I felt doing 3x3 sets across didn't give me enough intensity
rip says thats good for the presses have you tried that?

for the squats he says to do backoff sets.
>>
>>40948844
To be honest I didn't try that, I went straight onto madcows then TM.

End stats:
Squat: 3x5 160kg
Bench: 3x5 120kg
OHP: 80kg OHP
DL: 170kg (Poor flexibility meant progression on this lift was super slow)

I could have milked LP noob gains a tiny bit more in hindsight, but overall I was happy at the moment of change, mentally I was burning out.
>>
>>40948942
did you just repeat your failing deadlift weight all the times?
i realize SS has no advise on when you fail deadlift.
Just says to alternate with power clean and then , hopefully, by magic, DL will go up.
>>
>>40949042
No, I ended up bruising a disc from pushing it so hard, which set me back a few months. My problem was form breakdown, so I had (and I still do) increase my DL very tentatively.

If I recall, you set 10% of the weight and go back up, unless you've totally tanked, in which case a harder reset of 20% might be in order, but you increase in 10lb increments back to your old weight.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.