[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gym Etiquette for Beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1361556143106.jpg (111KB, 680x839px) Image search: [Google]
1361556143106.jpg
111KB, 680x839px
Noob to lifting here, going to go to the gym tomorrow for day 2 of stronglifts. What are some things I should know about being a courteous gym-user before I go?

I'm pretty new to this, so the only thing I really know that's important is that you're supposed to wipe down the machines after you use them and that it's considered rude to drop weights right on the ground after you pick them up.(instead of lowering them slowly). I'm not using machines anymore, though. I'm also vaguely aware that you're also not supposed to get chalk everywhere but I don't use that so I think I'm fine.

Last time I went I also felt kind of weird because strong lifts says you're supposed to rest for 90 seconds between sets. What are you supposed to do while you rest? I wound up just standing next to the cage like an idiot with an expression like pic related. Some girl walked up to me while I was doing that and asked me how many sets I had left, I told her I had four sets left but I wound up panicking and banging them out really quickly with like 20 second rests between my remaining sets instead of 90 seconds because I didn't want her to think I was hogging it or anything. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do or not though.

TL;DR What should a beginning lifter know about gym etiquette?
>>
>>40943976
Tip the receptionist
>>
>>40943976
You're doing good, wiping the bench after you use it is a good idea, sweaty back slime and all.

While resting between sets I usually just stretch or something, I don't know what to do either, but honestly as long as you don't look like you're wasting the machine by being on your phone or something, you should be good. If someone asks how many sets you have left, just offer to let them work in between you, that way you rest while they do their set and vice versa.
>>
>>40944396
So using the phone while sitting on the bench between sets is a no-go, just in case people think you're just wasting time? That seems easy enough, I'll just decide what to listen to before each exercise I guess.

>If someone asks how many sets you have left, just offer to let them work in between you, that way you rest while they do their set and vice versa.
That's what I was trying to say, but how exactly are you supposed to do that if you assume you're probably not going to be working with the same weights as the other person? Do you just take the plates back on and put 'em back on again as you alternate? Seems kind of weird to do with a stranger but I like the sound of it anyway.
>>
Use the squat plug
>>
>Don't make eye contact with locker room hob goblin
>>
>>40944522
I mean think about it, if you really wanna bench and you see 6 people lifting or resting and one dude sitting on the bench texting, which one is gonna look like the asshole?

Yeah, I usually just ask them what they want and help them get the plates on, takes like, 5 seconds working together. Depends on where you live/what kind of people go to your gym, but after a while, you start to see some familiar faces.
>>
>>40943976
>don't slam the weights
>don't do anything but squat in the racks if the gym is crowded
>don't give unsolicited advice
>don't be creepy

More than anything, be aware of your surroundings. I have a friend who's genuinely trying to be a polite gym goer, but he has the situational awareness of an autistic savant, and it almost injured me on multiple occasions. Even if you can't help it, try.
>>
>>40944396
>stretching in between sets
shiggy
>>
>>40944522
>two sides to a barbell
>you get one side he changes the other
Actually kinda convenient having two people instead of 1
>>
i walk to the water fountain between sets, or rub/touch my muscles i used the day before because they're sore. maybe casually look around in thought. 90% of looking awkward is internal unless you're really doing something out of the ordinary.

if someone wants to work in, let them if you feel like it. if someone is using what you want to use, ask if you can work in, and if they say "i'm almost done", go work on your next body part so you don't just stand around.

try not to ogle the females, it can be hard, but don't stare like a rapist.

if you are using the squat rack, be considerate if they are few in number and someone wants to work in.
>>
>>40944522
I just take my pulse so I know when I'm good to go for another heavy pull or squat.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.