[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to expect at a muay thai gym?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

I want to get decent at fighting and theirs a gym close to me that some pros came out of and want to go attend. What should I expect? Is it just like the gym where you have access to the equipment and have to pay extra for personal trainers? or a group class? anyone in any fighting gyms here to shime their experiences?
>>
>>40928553
Depends on the gym. Some MA gyms are shittier and your membership only covers group classes with solo lessons being extra. Others get you all for one payment, but those gyms tend to be more expensive
>>
All classes are grouped. You'll get to spare with people of all different heights and sizes. People are pretty chill at a MT gym. You'll be eased into sparing slowly.
>>
File: IMG_0331.jpg (58KB, 553x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0331.jpg
58KB, 553x369px
You're an idiot. Wrestling is the best major fighting style there is. Just because it isn't mysterious and exotic doesn't mean it's bad. Europe has essentially done everything of worthfor a few thousand years besides algebra, seafaring and the compass. But I diverge.

I was All State in Wrestling 3 years in a row from sophomore to senior. i do not want to sound like a fake badass, but wrestling is very serious. It pops out joints and breaks bones as fast as humanly possible.

It's fucking horrible. But fun.
>>
>>40928553
Group classes are the norm, solo classes are more expensive and I would advise you to take them only when you are really serious about the sport (like, you wanna get in the ring serious).

I was really shy when I first joined, but opened to people really quickly. Trainers and helpers tend to be really talkative, and paired me up with other friendly people. Felt comfortable by the second week.

Sparing tends to be where you find out who you wanna stick with and avoid. I always throw punches with conscious force behind them, since I think the other person will feel it just by the kinetic energy generated by the movement itself. As a newbie, try to tell others to go easy on you; generally they will. When you get more experience, hit people as hard as they hit you.

Overall a pretty fun experience, you get to meet cool people, some really /fit/ girls, and learn to defend yourself. It gave me a huge confidence boost; I was more willingly to fight before having any training. It helped me temper my intensity.
>>
most people are shit at fighting, so long as you have some training and cardio is decent you'll be able to fight off the average pleb, muay thai is good but you could also do wrestling, boxing, or judo
>>
>>40930045
>with conscious force
Meant to say without conscious force.

And forgot to say, but I just did boxing. Footwork for days, that alone will help you win any street fight.
>>
>>40930103
>Footwork for days, that alone will help you win any street fight.
please describe how
>>
>>40930132
Lack of balance, slow reaction times, not much force behind punches without putting your legs and back into them.

You'd look really fucking funny, but if you have good footwork you can dance around people and just throw random punches. If the other person doesn't even know a proper stance, they'll just fall and that's it - match is over.
>>
I've been doing it for 15 years now and teach classes. There's a few things you should get through your head right off the bat.

Be in it for the long haul. From what I've observed it takes a person about a year of training to get a solid grasp on the basics. That's less if you're working hard but 2 or 3 classes a week is a about year.

Leave your ego at home. No matter how much of a bad was you think you are, odds are every other person can kick your was there. Don't be "that" guy.

Get it through your head that you will get hurt. On a long enough timeline you'll get split, or bashed in the liver, or a finger or nose broken. It's going to happen.

Other than that just keep an open mind and try not to get salty when the 5'4 Thai manlet puts you down.
>>
File: 1480051803794.jpg (41KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480051803794.jpg
41KB, 848x480px
>>40930282
how much is a thai class?
I'm planning on doing muay thai over the summer, which is about 3 months for me, but since I won't be able to do it after that, I'd like to keep practicing on my own, is that a good idea?
>>
>>40930335
You'd have to shop around. When I started it was 60 dollars a month. Now I've seen it go for 120 or more. The price goes up depending on if the class is a personal one or if the trainer is famous or has belts.

Go ahead and do it but pick a set of punches or kicks to really practice. For example the jab, right straight, left kick/right kick to the leg. That way you can use those 3 months getting proficient while having the teacher watch you instead of not being good at anything.
>>
File: 1479769245706.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1479769245706.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>40930385
thanks fampai, will do!
>>
>>40930459
Good luck.
>>
>>40930459
Anime fucking posts? Jesus Christ you'll never make it.

T. That All State wrestler who's gone further
>>
File: 1487467806407.jpg (308KB, 680x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487467806407.jpg
308KB, 680x720px
>>40930589
come on man, do you even know where you are?
also
> don't want to get sick kunt mode for my waifu
are you homo?
>>
>>40930717
I say no.

No.
>>
is it possible to go to the gym 5-6 days a week and still do mauy thai without overexercising?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.