[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain why my overhead squats are absolute shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Overhead 11-6-13 B.jpg (82KB, 1109x614px) Image search: [Google]
Overhead 11-6-13 B.jpg
82KB, 1109x614px
Can anyone explain why my overhead squats are absolute shit?

>Regularily squat 2.5 plates and front squat 1.5 plates for reps
>Can do 1 plate shoulder press
>can barely do 75 pounds overheadsquat

I need to up my snatch capacity but my OH squats are fucking bonkers shit.
>>
It's a harder exercise with more form requirements
>>
It's a very complicated, mobility and coordination intensive movement. Just keep the weight light and continue practicing, always working entirely on form. It's gonna be a while before your mobility and coordination are at a level where you can actually gain something from overhead squats.

They're super hard, don't give up. Snatch is the most fun movement there is. Stuff that helped me:
1) Shrug and press into the bar, don't relax your scaps.
2) Narrow your stance. This seems counter intuitive, but you wont be working against your hips and groin to get all the way down like you do with a super wide stance squat.
3) Eyes up, duh.
>>
>>40892466
Without a video i can't say. The best general advice is to make sure your shoulder are mobile, as well as your lats. Look up some stretches for them.

There is one thing that i did once in a class. Take a snatch grip on the bar and pick it up to do a backsquat. When in the bottom of the squat just sit there with good posture, and press the bar overhead. It should move in a straight line from the back of your neck to lockout. Heck don't even do it with a barbell, use PVC pipe or a broom handle. Or maybe just see if you can do a behind the neck press. Being able to hold a plate overhead with pressing means you either are cheating on your press, or you have some mobility issues.

How much have you been able to snatch?
>>
>>40892466
Because your ability to do an OHS has nothing to do with the amount you can lift for other things. I don't even know why you bothered posting your stats
>>
>>40892845
i can snatch the bar + 20lbs, while C&J are already at 165 lbs

i think i'll try that. learning C&J literally took me 2 sessions but i still cannot properly into snatch technique.
>>
>>40892466
what is the benefit to this lift?
>>
you will never go to the olympics, you are not an exceptionally gifted chinaman or ex-soviet handpicked by government official and trened (heh) from child
>>
>>40892878
Not op.
Chances are if you can't squat 2 plates, you won't be able to Overhead squat 2 plates either. He was just trying to throw out some number to give some background info.
He can push a lot more weight overhead, and squat a lot more it on his back, so he is confused why he can't do it as a combination of both. Perfectly normal question from a newbie.
>>
>>40892901
don't care for either, i just want to snatch and C&J and get it at a respectable level.

>>40892892
both clean and jerk and snatch literally work your entire body. its like a DL except your entire body m8. think about it. no more looking like a fucking commoner who does isolation.
>>
>>40892887
Ya i would really mess around with your form. If you can ask a coach or trainer that would be nice. Try and work on shoulder mobility, lat and back mobility. Try messing around with the width of your grip. Make sure the weight stays over your center of gravity during the lift. If it drifts forward or backwards that's a good way to lose a lift. And try to have good posture. Snatches are one of the most form strict lifts. In general it wasn't uncommon for me to miss 4 lifts, and make the 5th one look easy when i was learning how to snatch.

You can clean something and have some improper form, but if you know anything about torque, you can see why the snatch is much less forgiving.

I had a friend that couldn't overhead squat because he had hella tight lats from years of swimming.
>>
>>40892887
>learning C&J literally took me 2 sessions
That just shows that you know nothing about C&J. I've been oly lifting for 2 years. I can C&J 2.5pl8 but honestly, i still have lots of learning to do.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.