[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial arts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

What do you guys think of some martial arts on top of your current exercise regiment?
If you are currently enrolled in classes what are you doing or what are your recommendations for different types?
>>
don't do anything that has you posing like that pic
>>
>>40862281
Yeah I wont. Just was the first pic I found on google. I'm looking at starting Muay Thai.
>>
>>40862248
What are you looking for in martial arts? Self defence? A sport? A fitness boost?
>>
A lot of guys do their lifting after boxing. That can work if you give yourself a good recovery time. Boxing is already taxing on the legs so you want to make sure youre not pushing yourself too hard and do all you can to prevent injury/overtraining. With boxing lifting three times a week might be a little much. Also powerlifting doesnt always transfer to being a powerful fighter. I'd either focus on weightlifting until you want to get where you want to be, or focus on fighting and perhaps add in some accessory lifting one or two days a week.
>>
>>40862307
Mostly fitness boost. I kind've look at it as extra personal training sessions but much cheaper and with the added bonus of self defense.
>>40862348
Yeah I see what you mean. My legs are currently in the most shape out of my body from biking around the hills of San Francisco every day for the past few years. Which is why I was looking into Muay Thai, as I've been training my legs much less than the rest of my body.
>>
I did Tei Kwon Do and Boxing simultaneously for a solid two years about five years ago simply because I wanted to fight. If I have anything to say, it's that the main gains are just in bragging rights and a greatly increased range of motion. So essentially, the gains are the equivalent to yoga but bragging rights are added. Most fighting sports are sparring sports that rely on honourable combat, so don't join if you want to fight and don't join if you're looking to get shredded muscles or some shit.
>>
>>40862646
That flexibility/range of motion is mainly what I'm looking for. I can't stand Yoga, too slow for me. Not looking for fights but it'd be nice to at least intimidate someone before a fight, possibly ending one before it even begins.
>>
I do capoeira.
It's fun, great for flexibility and a bonus is you don't usually hit others/get hit if that worries you.
Also great if you like tricking.
Also might help with autism.
>>
>>40862248

I want some of the more meditative shit. Tai-chi looks relaxing.
>>
>>40862689
Having stance and a yell is perfect for pre-fight. If you're just looking for that expanded range of motion, then yeah, if your schedule can handle it, shoot for Taekwondo (Googled it to make sure I was spelling it right, apparently wasn't) and boxing simultaneously. I recall being able to hit a target directly verticle of me with the bottom of my foot with no struggling towards the end of my career, and my balance was on-point. The only place you'll really use that stuff though is where ever you're learning Taekwondo, it's pretty useless in the outside world. If it's your goal though, then this is the best way to go.
>>
>>40862756
Awesome thanks for the advice! Also trying to get my gf into it too so we can spar together. Nothing heats up a room faster than a play fight after all.
>>
>>40862803
Boxer here. Never sparred with my gf, but sparred with a lot of other girls. It is fucking boring imo, you can't hit them with much force or stop their attacks with nice double jab to the head and continue with powerful uppercut or left hook. But boxing in general is hell of a fun. Can recommend. While I haven't made noticable muscle gains (except abs), it sure gave me flexibility, speed, footwork mastery, stability and endurance. And most importantly i know how to fight and know the potentonial consequences of a fight, so I always try to stop it in the beginning. Hope that helped brah, enjoy martial arts
>>
>great-tier
boxing, muy thai, traditional kenpo/shotokan/kyokushin (if after a few months you aren't fighting every class, it's not traditional)
>very good-tier
kickboxing
>don't try fighting-tier
anything that is primarily forms, or doesn't let you fight near full contact.
as to why i put kickboxing below boxing, in my experience they're much more likely to be the western equivalent to a mcdojo. geared towards fitness or giving middle aged soccer moms a false sense of security. if it's a gym that takes fighting seriously, a kickboxing gym can be just as good as a dedicated boxing gym.
>>
I dabble a bit. Not organized but through visualization.
>>
>>40863069
Boxing was fun for sure. My gf is a black belt in ju jitsu so she has always been able to pin me easily. Also can take a hit and brush it off like it's nothing. I may be stronger but she's much more resilient.
>>
File: Flow_Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow_Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
>>
>>40862248
I try to do an hour or two of Muay Thai a week on top of +3 hours of lifting a week.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.