[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Time under tension

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: SplitTheBeast.jpg (27KB, 960x480px)
SplitTheBeast.jpg
27KB, 960x480px
I see that lots of gymrats do 10 reps in some 30 secs or even less reps in less time, usually cheat reps with increased weight.

Isn't that bad for strength and hypertrophy? Shouldn't you aim for a set to be at least one minute and a half or two minutes long?
>>
Yes.
In fact the whole reason "8-12 for hypertrophy" is a thing, is because when they did the studies on hypertrophy response, 8-12 provided the necessary time under tension needed for the best hypertrophy given the CORRECT TEMPO of lifting they kept constant.

So doing 8-12 reps as fast as possible won't actually achieve the goal that 8-12 was originally specified for.

So now you can feel smug and superior when you see fuccbois speed repping their incline db bench for 8 reps.
>>
It's an irrelevant meme that is perpetuated by people that can't even do 1/2/3/4.

Progressive overload is all you should care about.
>>
>>40848920
>1-2 minute long ohp sets
>>
>>40848944
>>40848920

None of this shit even matters. There's only 2 things you need to know

1) Muscle growth is dictated only by total training volume over time. It doesn't matter what rep scheme you use to achieve that volume.

2) lifting higher percentages of your 1RM will eliccit better strength gains

The whole concept of a "hypertrophy range" is a myth
>>
>>40849051
>>40849051
>The whole concept of a "hypertrophy range" is a myth

Are you retired?

That is literally the point I was making in >>40848944
The rep range is not what matters, its the time under tension (aka volume) that matters, and 8-12 was the range they used to achieve that volume at the given tempo they were using.
>>
>>40849066
this, other anon is an homosexual and a nigger
>>
>>40849066
>>40849090

You didn't explain it clearly. I've never heard someone define time under tension and volume as the same thing. But glad we agree.
>>
>>40848920
For most gains, concentric should be fast, but eccentric can be slow.
Whether you do a rep in 1 or 3 seconds doesn't matter much.
Number of reps, effort, and number of sets matter most.

>>40849051
Rep range does matter, and muscle growth is dictated by a lot more things than just volume.
>>
To help understand the tut principle, look up rep tempo. Most bodybuilders use it but its almost never talked about in programming. Isolations specically but also working compounds of 8-12 reps arent supposed to be speed work.
>>
File: mpv-shot0046.jpg (110KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0046.jpg
110KB, 1920x808px
>tfw no BEAST mode
>>
>>40849066
so what are you saying? If I go faster I should do more reps? or there's a specific volume you should follow
>>
If you want more time under tension, do more sets/reps. Doing reps really slowly causes the connective tissue to swell that's where the soreness is coming from.

Also technically speaking all you need to grow is progressive overload so this whole rep range for growth is kind of dumb. That being said you should be doing both low and high volume work so you can raise your total poundage over the week.
>>
>>40849471
>he doesn't like getting sore when lifting

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Pain is gain, laddy.
>>
>>40849066
No, I just started my job last year
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.