[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Started rowing to improve my cardio fitness, first time doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1461032960924.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1461032960924.png
98KB, 612x491px
Started rowing to improve my cardio fitness, first time doing 2000m I got 8 mins. What's a time I should be aiming for?
>>
Thansk
>>
>>40702037
6:30 is a good start
>>
an 8 minute 2k for a first time isn't bad

if you can crack 7 minutes that is pretty good.

it really depends on how tall you are, height has a lot to do with it
>>
>>40704307
I'm 6ft
>>40704234
Isn't the Olympic time like 5:30 though??
>>
>>40702037
8 min? Damn.

I get like 12-13 min for 2k.

Am girl. How shit am I?
>>
>>40704722
I've been using the erg for 2 years and the best 2k time I've gotten is 8:37. Doesn't help that I'm 5'7 though.
>>
>>40704705
yeah 6:30 is pretty quick, but your 2k will drop to ~7 mins really fast with some training + form improvement. it's not a linear power/speed thing though see http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/watts-calculator
>>
>>40704789
I only do it every once in a while for the lulz.I keep thinking about doing it seriously and trying to increase my time.
>>
>>40702037
>rowing to improve fitness

you can always run, its faster/better/more intuitive progressing that way.

eg. you run 1-2 miles a session and increase by 10-15% you'll get to 5-10 miles in like 3 months.
>>
>>40704801
Thanks anon, I got this

I start uni at the end of the year and I want to get onto my colleges rowing team, how long do you think I'd have to train before I'm at a competitive level?
>>
>>40702037

If you're willing to dedicate 2-3 sessions a week to the erg, google 'the pete plan'. Do at least the short and medium interval pieces, and a long distance session if you have time.

This is good for a casual rower- you cycle through different sessions week on week, so by the time you come back around to a session you've done before, your fitness will have improved and you'll take chunks out of your time
>>
>>40704862
Running is pretty shit tbqh. Especially on a treadmill. Rowing is more time efficient.
>>
>>40704862
I swim as my main sport so I was interested in doing rowing to improve upper body strength more than anything

Plus I wanted to see if my strength in weighted rows transferred
>>
>>40704898
*transferred to actual rowing
>>
>>40704898
rowing isn't really a good upper body workout. ALL of your power comes from your legs + lower back. your arms + upper back mostly just redirect the oar at the top of your stroke
>>
>>40704884
i can't really tell you since it depends on your idea of competitive but if you work for it you will see huge improvement by the end of the year. like the other anon said the pete plan would be a good start. make sure that you prioritize the steady distance sessions over the others.
>>
I'm going to try rowing tomorrow.
Are there any resistances or inclines etc I need to be aware of?
>>
>>40704941
>>40705072
>>40704890
Thanks for the help lads, I'll put all your advice into practise next time I row
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.