[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absolute beginner advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: hlp.jpg (59KB, 549x406px) Image search: [Google]
hlp.jpg
59KB, 549x406px
Literally never worked out before (except when it was mandatory), but I landed a job that requires a lot of mechanical work and some lifting. Finally caved and got a bench press, and decided to actually try working out.

To be clear, I DON'T plan on letting this discourage me from continuing to work out, but I'm wondering if you guys went through the same shit;

>have a small room with a bench press
>20 kg total, plus the weight of the bar
>I can only lift 100 times, usually 5 with a short breather between them
>tried to push myself, got to 104 and now I'm exhausted
>arms feel like jelly level exhausted

Is this normal? I'm going to try not to let it stop me, but I've been wanting to get in shape - I'm a little chubby around my waist, but I'm not fat, actually SUPER scrawny in my arms.

Advice?
>>
>>40678144
Some more details:

>I worked out for maybe 30 minutes tops, all the short breaks included
>used to friends going to the gym for 2 hours at a time

Waiting for endurance to go up, but I wasn't expecting it to be so low, lads.
>>
>>40678144
>20 kg total, plus the weight of the bar
>I can only lift 100 times, usually 5 with a short breather between them

my bro thats just upper body centric cardio, get some more weight on that thing if you want to actually get anywhere.
>>
>>40678144
>I can only lift 100 times
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!?
>>
>>40678251
Leaving humanity behind
8 hour arm workout, C'MON
>>
>>40678228
I'm trying to build up to more weight and thought 20 kg would be a good start, and I think if I went up to 40 I wouldn't be able to lift the bar more than 10 or so times.

I can try, but my workout wouldn't last too long.

To be 100% honest I'm in the military and too self-conscious to go to the gym right now. Have to wait in line to use equipment and then I'd be there for 5 minutes struggling on the baby stuff. So I have very limited space to work out in my room, but once I got better at it the plan was to regularly go to the gym
>>
hahahha what

First read the sticky.

Now put more weight on and do lower reps, much lower, like 5-10 not fucking 100

You'll get DOMS, thats the soreness, but it will go forever after a few days if you keep lifting
>>
>>40678296
how much does the bar weigh? you want to build a strength base before getting into hypertrophy. also a workout isn't just bench, you need to be using more muscles than just your pecs mate jesus christ. pls read the sticky. then read it again.

also how are you self conscious enough to avoid gyms yet still be in the military? just nut up and do it bro, thats your job at the end of the day.
>>
Joined a gym the other week, had a free personal trainer session today.

Bloke recommended I stick to machines for the first month to get my strength up especially my core before doing free weights.
>>
>>40678356
True, I'll probably start. Not sure what the bar weighs, but it feels like maybe 10 kg? It's not that heavy

One of the big reasons I want to work my pecs is because I have a pretty bad case of sunken chest, and I hear that a lot of lifting can help fix it.

>>40678335
Alright, I'll need to read more about this I guess. It's just weird that people are in the gym for hours, and they only do 5-10 reps? I guess the huge majority of the time is just recovering, and using more weight. Poorfag is poor, I need to buy more weights. In total I have 40 kg now.

So 5-10 reps of 40 kg should work for a normal exercise?
>>
>>40678459
This is a good idea, senpai. I'll probably be talking to some people at the gym as soon as I get off work tomorrow.

>forgetting we have free personal trainers
>>
>>40678144
1. read the sticky
2. do an actual program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts
>>
>>40678459
but machines balance the weights for you, thus ridding you of any stress on your core, you'd be better off imo starting from the bottom with free weights and progressing equally over all of your body.

but im just a shitposter on a thaiwanese basket weaving forum, take it or leave it.
>>
>>40678521
I know that's why he said after a month you need to move on to free weights. He made me do some shoulder lifts on a machine then compared it to dumbells and how much different it was. He said starting off on machines you can build a bit of muscle and not injure yourself.

No offence but I trust a qualified personal trainer more than a shitposter on a thaiwanese basket weaving forum desu
>>
>>40678541
Btw I wanted to point out this is not OP
I have no idea what I'm doing so I appreciate any advice
>>
>>40678495
>It's just weird that people are in the gym for hours, and they only do 5-10 reps?
Well, people normally do a lot more exercises than just bench press.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.