[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADHD meds and weightlifting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: vana.jpg (32KB, 525x350px) Image search: [Google]
vana.jpg
32KB, 525x350px
I was recently prescribed Vyvanse for my ADHD after a few years off. Other than the appetite suppression, are there any other negative things I would need to watch out for when doing cardio or lifting? Should I schedule around when the drug is most effective?
>>
>>40668300
Yes, I'd recommend scheduling your workouts around the time you take them, preferably, 30 mins after you take it. It's particularily useful to improve the workouts while increasing what you normally don't get out of workouts thanks to ADHD, mainly increased focus. There's nothing to change about cardio if you're taking the ammount you're supposed to. It's ok to disobey the doc if you feel the dose is too high.
Because it's an amphetamine, it releases dopamine and adrenaline wether you workout or not, so it's not a must that you mix every dose with every workout - usually methylphenidate is more usefull after you workout, because if you actually have ADHD, you're not supposed to liberate enough dopamine to make methylphenidate as stimulating by itself; you need to force the dopamine out.
>>
>>40668300

Highly recommend you DONT schedule your workout for when it's most effective. This is medicine for your school / job. You may be at a slightly higher risk of injury since you'd be using weights that your body otherwise wouldn't be able to do.

If you're going to be taking this everyday it'd be a good idea to get used to being on it w/o working out for a while since your resting heart rate is going to be higher anyway.

Also be mindful of staying hydrated and taking magnesium.
>>
>>40668548
>implying he's taking the complete dose at once
It's better used by taking it twice a day. If OP can workout in the morning and take that dose 30 mins before workout, there's no reason not to do it. The only reason you cited was "using weights your body wouldn't otherwise be able to do", but there's actually no reason why this would happen in someone with ADHD, as amphetamines make the ADHD brain work like a non-ADHD brain, it's not particularilly useful for performance in activities one's already emotionaly engaged with. In ADHD cases, amphetamines only increase performance in activities the patient isn't invested in, unless anon uses doses waaay too high. Working out around it merely increases the effectiveness of both the drug and the workout.
The only reason as to why OP should listen to your advice is if he doesn't actually have ADHD.
>>
>>40668663

He specified vyvanse. The half life is ~12hrs so good luck sleeping if you take a second dose after noon.

Amphetamines are cns stimulants, they make you stronger regardless of whether you can sit still in a classroom, which is why they're considered a performance enhancing drug in sports. Likewise, his resting heart rate is going to be ~10 beats higher per minute regardless of whether he has adhd or not... this happens to everyone. Is it the worst thing and the world and is he going to snap his bicep tendon off by doing an extra 5 lbs on his curls? Probably not. This is simply my opinion.

Amps do increase performance in activities even if you already enjoy them. Brain scans of people w/ adhd performing activities they enjoy show that they still can't focus as well as non-adhd people.

I don't think your advice is particularly dangerous actually if OP can manage the intensity of his workouts (People tend to overdo it) or has spent some amount of time getting used to being on it as he'll build some tolerance to the physical effects but the therapeutic benefits should remain.
>>
>prescribed vyvanse 2 weeks ago
>cried 3 times since then
>self harmed
>haven't been off the couch in two weeks
ok wtf m8
>>
>>40669320

Have you talked to your doctor about being bipolar?
>>
>>40669347
yeah but I really don't show any other signs. maybe I should again though. I see her in a few days.
>>
File: IMG_2162.png (123KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2162.png
123KB, 235x235px
>>40668300
Fuck ADHD medication. I had to go without it for a month because of the holidays, and it was the blessing in disguise. I've been off the stuff for almost 3 years now, and I am able to accomplish what I need to do without pharmaceuticals. I just had to learn to take things bite sizes at a time.
>>
>>40668300

I've worked out on Adderall a couple times, its incredibly difficult to stay focused on the workout for me. Like it makes it impossible to have a decent mind muscle connection.
>>
>>40670513
You having adhd is like a sad person being depressed - obviously misdiagnosed if youve just grown out of it
>>
Methylphenidate actually works a bit similar (but to a lesser extent) as cocaine, constricting blood flow to the heart but at the same time increasing oxygen usage and BPM of the heart. Strongly recommend not to take it while training even tho it might 'help', you don't know the risk you're putting yourself at, it might be small but its a risk nonetheless.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.