[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cormac McCarthy's Westerns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: nightfly.jpg (26KB, 355x352px) Image search: [Google]
nightfly.jpg
26KB, 355x352px
/lit/ I am taking a course on the novels and plays of Cormac McCarthy. Our final paper/presentation topic is pretty open, so my intent right now is to situate BM and the Border Trilogy within a broader canon of revisionist or anti-westerns. I'm wondering if any of you know of any Westerns that seem to bear directly on McCarthy's treatment of the myth of the West. (You don't need to tell me how, I plan on reading them).

This is what I've already compiled. But aside from Warlock and the films I have not read these yet

books:
>Warlock
>Butcher's Crossing
>Lonesome Dove
>The Virginian
>Riders of the Purple Sage
>True Grit

films:
>Unforgiven
>Dead Man
>Peckinpah
>>
>>40610674
I forgot about that album i'll listen to it during tomorrow's workout thanks
>>
you posted this on /fit/. I think you meant to post this on /lit/
>>
>tfw the brutality and bleakness of life in the southwest inspires you to stay /fit/
>>
>>40610674
>Implying I don't lift so that I can lead the catamite parade on The Road™
>>
what books are the most /fit/, /fit/?
>>
>>40610912
Marcus Aurelius's "Meditations"

"At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: “I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I’m going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?”
>>
>>40610674

I'm glad you posted this.

In terms of films that are considered anti-Westerns, the most famous is obviously The Searchers (1956). Even if your professor knows very little about the subject, I'm confident he or she will be expecting you to discuss it.

You should also check out:
1. Pursued (1947)
2. The films of Anthony Mann starring Jimmy Stewart:
a. Winchester '73 (1950)
b. The Naked Spur (1953)
c. Broken Arrow (1950)
3. Taxi Driver (1976) - both the director and writer have stated that it is meant to be a retelling of the Searchers.
4. Drive (2011) - the director has stated it was meant to be a retelling of Shane.
5. The Yellow Sky (1948).

In terms of anti-Western novels, the best starting place is with the works of Jim Thompson, especially Pop. 1280 and The Killer Inside Me.

I would also check out the crime novels of Richard Stark. In particular, The Hunter.

The only opening passage of The Hunter is the most Western thing I've ever read, but for the fact the it involves an ex-con walking through New York City in the 1960's. I would be very surprised if McCarthy.
>>
>>40611493

>The only opening passage of The Hunter is the most Western thing I've ever read, but for the fact the it involves an ex-con walking through New York City in the 1960's. I would be very surprised if McCarthy.

*The opening passage of The Hunter is the most Western thing I've ever read (a man alone, fighting against a hostile environment for survival), but for the fact that he is an ex-con walking through New York City in the 1960's. I would be very surprised if McCarthy was not influenced by this book.

Also check out The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). Like The Wild Bunch, it's also a meditation on the death of the West and masculinity.
>>
>>40611200
That particular quote I never empathized with
Maybe by 'work' he didn't mean what we mean today, but fuck, I'd rather stay under the blankets any day that go do my shitty 'work'.
>>
>>40611659
then get a different job holy shit. if doing nothing is better than your job you need to figure some shit out
>>
>>40611686
Okay let me just go down to my local job store and just get a new one.
Holy fuck how did I never think of that before, thanks anon you really turned my life around.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.