[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions that don't deserve their own thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 26

File: fash arnie.jpg (998KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
fash arnie.jpg
998KB, 1440x2560px
QTDDTOT

Didn't notice one in the catalog, so I took the initiative

>What does 5/3/1 mean?
>>
>>40567383
>>What does 5/3/1 mean?

google it
>>
>>40567383
Its 5 divided by 3 divided by 1, which is obviously 1
>>
>>40567389
I should've worded that better, I know it's a training program. I meant
> what is the significance of the title 5/3/1?
>>
>>40567406
first week is 3x5+, 2nd is 3x3+, last week is 1x5, 1x3, 1x1+

if you googled it you would know this
>>
I was finishing Seated DB Shoulder Presses and as I lowered the dbs my left wrist made a series of cracking noises. It was in a good amount of pain and I could not really use it driving home.

Didn't look swollen or anything but the ulna side protrudes outward more. It's been a couple days and it still kinda hurts but I've had it compressed in a bandage for a while.

I wanna lift ASAP but should I be out for a week?
>>
Why no /fit/ recipe thread? Do you just google things or hang out in /ck/ or...?
Looking for low carb specifically if anyone has good links or suggestions, thanks.
>>
File: hillary clinton.jpg (140KB, 1074x640px) Image search: [Google]
hillary clinton.jpg
140KB, 1074x640px
>>40567470
>>
>>40567383
What age should I start lifting
>>
Instead of dividing lifts (leg day etc.), can you do full body lift program each time if you go to the gym 3x/week with a rest day between gym days?
If not, why not? Too tiring, not as good a workout, maybe?
>>
>>40567530
14-15
>>
Why are Front Squats better than Back Squats?
>>
>>40567883
>>40567530
this
>>
How much of a factor is quad strength in a deadlift?

And if my posterior chain is pretty strong, but my quads are complete shit, how bad is that going to fuck up my dead until I fix it?
>>
>>40567562
>can you do full body lift program each time if you go to the gym 3x/week with a rest day between gym days?
Yeah, it's called compound lifts
>>
>>40567562
no, you'll die
>>
no vikings wtf???
>>
When (or at what weight?) should I start using a belt to squat and/or deadlift?
>>
How much less effective would it be to do PPL less than 6 days a week? say 4 days/week
>>
Why is 3x10 regarded as a poor set? What's the best number of sets and reps?
>>
File: 1488296997546.png (37KB, 807x662px) Image search: [Google]
1488296997546.png
37KB, 807x662px
>>40568339
>>
>>40567891
Because back squats hurt the fuck out of your neck
>>
>>40568371
Top LOL
>>
>>40567497
See a fucking doctor you dimwit
>>
File: 1488475668441.jpg (9KB, 261x211px) Image search: [Google]
1488475668441.jpg
9KB, 261x211px
thinking about doing keto, is it advantageous for fat loss over a regular deficit ?
>>
pls respond
>>
>>40567398
its actually 1.66666666667
>>
>>40567562
This is literally starting strength (and 1200 other programs)
did you even read any of the sticky or lurk at all or anything mang
>>
>>40568789
Any diet that you can stick to works. There is no diet that is a easy mode. However keto might work for you try it and see.
>>
Should you be able to do more weight on glute bridges for way more reps than you can on deadlifts?

I know you can get to huge weight with hip thrusts, but my glute bridge is going to get to 4 plate for 10 reps far before my deadlift will get there for a 1rm
>>
>>40567383
It generally means you could be doing a bit more work.
>>
I worked out Tue and Thu this week, and my next day should be Saturday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to go due to work. Can I work out Fri instead? Does it make a huge difference? How often would be too often to do that sort of thing?

And can I switch to Mon Wed Fri next week without expecting any loss? Is regularity and consistency in timing and rest periods crucial at all or so long as I'm lifting lots and eating lots and not doing anything buttfuck retarded should i see gains
>>
>>40568789
keto is annoying, good diet tip is to not change your lifestyle at all and just substitute foods. Low effort but sustainable.
>>
>>40568869
People lift 6 days a week.

You might still be recovering a bit but its fine, going in a day early or a day late is much better than not going in at all. As long as you're still slowly increasing weight and being consistent you will see progress.
>>
>>40567383
Been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a coupla months and I'm just finding myself free for a fortnight. I want to try working out 5 days a week, putting something new into the 2 days between (i.e. 5 days on 2 days off). I feel like I haven't progressed on my upper body, does anyone have some suggestions on what to try for the next two weeks?
>>
>>40567497
In my opinion the heavy weight might have injured your carpals, and the pain might have been a compression or shifting of the small bones. It could explain the protrusion as well. Rest and compression are two musts you seem to have already covered. Ice could help speed the process but it's much less effective hours or days after the injury was sustained. It goes without saying you shouldn't lift with that wrist until you see a licensed physician and stop asking some faggots on a mongoloid boating forum
>>
>>40567383
Taking BCAA, is powdered the best option?
Also, should I take it on the rest days and cardio days(judo) the same as on gym days?
>>
Is a routine with 2 seperate compound movements and 2 assistance each per day m/w/f then a "fluff" day on Saturday too much?
For example: Squat + 2 assistance + Bench + 2 assistance
>>
>>40567383
Where are vikings u fucking mongol?
>>
>>40569141

Could be too much, could be too little. Depends on what you're actually doing.
>>
>>40569163
(Pyramid sets increasing the weight)
Today for example will look like this:

Squat - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Hack Squats - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Hamstring Curls - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Bench Press - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Close Grip Press - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Incline Press - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x5
Some LISS afterwards.
>>
>>40569208

That would be a poor idea, but not because it's too much work. Pyramid sets are pretty shit compared to reverse pyramids for most purposes and you don't want to go heavy on every exercise. Isolations in particular often don't respond well to it and you can only handle so many max effort heavy sets.
>>
>>40569221
I would not go heavy on the assistance work but could this look better then?
Squat - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Hack Squats - 2x5, 2x10
Hamstring Curls - 4x10
Bench Press - 1x10, 1x8, 1x5, 1x5, 1x3
Close Grip Press - 2x5, 2x10
Incline Press - 2x5, 2x10
I can't decide rep range therefor I usually do pyramid sets, I find them to be a "best of both worlds".
>>
>>40569233

If you're going to go heavy on a lift, do the heavy shit first. Don't try to do it while fatigued unless you've got a good reason to.
>>
>>40569242
On the compounds most of the first sets were warmup, I never felt fatigued before my heavy set. It's kinda like how Madcow sets it up but a different rep range.
>>
>>40569251

There's a reason madcow ramps at lower reps.

Also you're doing fuck-all work if only one set is actually difficult or fatiguing. It'll hold for a while as a technique/peaking thing but its not great longterm.
>>
>>40569257
I mean, take pendlay row for example. If I do 10 reps with 20kg, its about as hard as 5 reps with 30kg.
>>
My bulged disc is healing up pretty well. What are some good excersies to strengthen my body so I don't hurt my back again. Also it was due to my leg bones being misaligned not bad form
>>
File: muscles_leg_foot.png (299KB, 548x377px) Image search: [Google]
muscles_leg_foot.png
299KB, 548x377px
I feel pain in these areas, even after two days rest, even when simply lying down or standing up. I remember a thread here with the same question, but at the time I didn't notice the pain. Anyways, what's the reason? Overstretched poor muscles during the squat? And how do I fix it?
>>
Is 40mins of cardio 5 times a week enough, or should I be aiming for more? Purely looking for weight loss. I lift as well. Also eating 1400 calories a day.
>>
>>40567389
>>40567406
The time it took you to reply once, continue paying attention to the thread, and then reply again, was about 4 minutes longer than the amount of time it would have taken you to explain it to the OP.

>you are an arrogant faggot and I hope you never make it
>your mother will die in her sleep tonight if you reply to this post
>>
I have ridiculously muscley legs compared to the rest of me. Like beast level. I can leg press 93kg easily. I have very little fat on them and they're really firm. However, I want slimmer legs because I don't like looking like a female German shot putter.

Any tips for slimming them down and dropping some muscle? I already do 50mins of cardio a day but I lift on top of this because I thought that's what I should be doing. Do I need to stop leg exercises for a while?
>>
>>40567383
Has anyone here had experience building a home gym? I recently moved into the bumfuck middle of nowhere for work and theres literally no gym within a reasonable distance, so i've decided to build a little home set up. I've got a good bit of spare space in a vacant parking garage (its secure), so I'm going to be using that place to store my home setup.

Currently I'm probably just going to buy a pair of dumbells, a bar, and a bench as well as various weights obv. I'd really rather not fuck around with shit like a squat rack but if I need it I suppose I'll have to get one.

Also I weight 200lb and intend to install a pullup bar in one of my doorways, is this a bad idea

tl;dr give me tips for building a home gym that isn't complete shit
>>
I started to mix my chocolate whey with black coffee.
Feels good man.
>>
After last session of squats (more or less 7 days ago), whenever I bend my legs or somehow my hips there's this sore pain at the crease of my hips.

Thinking it was DOMS, 3 days ago I tried squatting but barely could. then stopped.

Today went to squat again, and even trying to squat 60-70% of my 5RM was too painful at the bottom because the crease of my hips was on fire as soon as i would touch parallel.

What's going on? What do?
>>
>>40569486
>beast level legs
>leg press 93kg
pick one
>>
Dont know if I have gyno. Couldnt feel the lump in the nipples, but when I cut to 143 lbs (at 5'11) I still had a bit of titties. Is it possible that I still stored fat in my chest at 143 lbs?
>>
>>40567383
If abs is entirely about having little body fat, how come skeleton's don't have abs?

Surely it's a ratio of abdominal muscle to stomach fat right.

Plus if I just want abs I shouldn't drop below average BMI just to cut to 10% bodyfat should I? I should gain a bit of muscle mass first so I can keep a healthy weight and then drop the fat.
>>
File: dat ass 2.png (566KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
dat ass 2.png
566KB, 475x599px
Alright /fit/ need some serious help here,i've been doing 5x5 for about 2 month to gain some basic strength since i'm a bit lanky and couldn't do any pull ups initially and the problem here is i have wide hips and i've started to notice that my legs are getting a bit big due to all the squats and i really don't want to end up with a t-rex physique,what workout should i switch to that would help me deal with the wide hips menace?
>>
>>40569671

The weight tells me nothing. For all I know you are DYEL skinnyfat.

Did you have ripped abs? If not it was still probably just fat.
>>
Got offered a manual labor job for about three months. How do I maintain my gains over that time?

>no gym
>long hours
>not exactly hard work, but exhausting

I'm planning on still doing some calisthenics, but that is hardly enough, is it?
>>
>>40569336
I had this too when my squats started getting heavy (ok it was like 190 but I'm Asian)

Point your toes more forward than outward, I went pretty much parallel, and do those hip flexor stretches where it looks like you are doing pushups over one knee

All this after at least two weeks off, maybe a month to heal

My pain vanished
>>
>>40568381
>t. noodle neck nicky
>>
File: just waiting.png (404KB, 520x509px) Image search: [Google]
just waiting.png
404KB, 520x509px
>>40569518
PLEASE RESPOND RE HOME GYM
>>
>>40569518
Get a power rack my dude. It might be a little more expensive, but it will allow you to squat, bench, and some have pull up bars on them.
>>
File: pls respond 3.jpg (37KB, 278x278px) Image search: [Google]
pls respond 3.jpg
37KB, 278x278px
>>40569871
>>
How does one suppress hunger? I need to lose fat but I get hungry all the time.
>>
>>40569883
Eat heaps and do what you can. Remember not to be a bitch and you'll find you can do more than you thought.
>>
>>40569871
Add in extra volume work for your upper body. I felt like I had the same issue: big legs and shitty upper body. That's what I did and things pretty much evened out. I still have fairly large legs for my size but everything is in proportion. Basically just train more upper body but please don't stop training your legs. That's just dumb.
>>
>>40569883
why no gym
>>
I need decent running shoes. Do I go the extra mile and get a specific type based on weight, height, running style or is that just a gimmick?
>>
File: 23523526352.png (128KB, 228x278px) Image search: [Google]
23523526352.png
128KB, 228x278px
I have a home gym so I go 6 times a week for about an hour each day. PPLPPLx routine. Should I tone it down to 3-4 or 5 times a week?
>>
>>40569964
Cheers mate i wasn't planning to stop working legs but was thinking of not increasing the weights on my squats,gonna increase the volume and pause the weight increase on squats for a bit and see how that goes.
>>
>>40569975
whats your home set up like?

also 6 days a week is a fucking lot, i'd cut at least one day for resting but its ultimately up to you. remember that overtraining can fuck you up
>>
>>40569975
Good god no.

With your own facilities you should be twice a day. Just need to devise a maintainable routine, so your joints etc don't shit out.
This is mostly a problem when strength training as the volume of heavy work adds up real quick.
But you bro splitting now, so no worries there...
>curls morning and night
>>
>>40569963
Yeah, thats the plan. Should I do my calisthenics sessions early in the morning before going to work?
If all goes well, I'll try to improve my handstand pushups and consequently my OHP. Also maybe get the planche finally down, although seems a bit too much to ask for. Hopefully if I do pistol squats I won't lose anything from my normal squats. Don't know what to do when it comes to my back though. Possibly get a bar, but what else?

>>40569973
I'm essentially staying right where I work, all in the middle of nowhere. Closest town is probably about half an hour away and I don't think I'd have the time to go there, considering I'd be finishing work late and also have to prepare my meals for the next day.

I have done manual labor before, that was probably a lot harder than what I'm going to do right now, but the difference then was that the place where I lived at also had a gym and the days were a couple of hours shorter. I ate a ton then, without actually gaining much or any fat and made some decent gains in my lifts.

This time the lack of a gym is really worrying though.
>>
>>40570042
What's the work you're doing? And yeah, you could also find ways to add weight like putting on a backpack filled with stuff when doing push ups. For back, you could probably get a cheap bar. Work up to one arm chinups also.
>>
File: 1419989259679.jpg (14KB, 446x464px) Image search: [Google]
1419989259679.jpg
14KB, 446x464px
>>40570032
>>40570039
Bench, barbell, squat rack, set of dumbells. Baby weights for now (1pl8 Bench) because I haven't been doing it for long but my routine is:

Press:
>5x5 Bench Press/5x5 OHP
>5x8-12 OHP/Bench Press
>5x8-12 Dumbell Press
>5x8-12 Front Lat Raise
>5x8-12 Arnold Press

Pull:
>5x5 Row/5x5 Barbell Curl
>5x8-12 Barbell Curl/Row
>5x5 Deadlift
>5x8-12 T-Bar Row
>5x8-12 Dumbell Row

'Legs':
>5x8-12 Squats
>5x5 Stiff-Leg Deadlift
>5x8-12 Dumbell Flies
>5x8-12 Dumbell Shrugs
>5x8-12 Side Lat Raise

I've been cutting for a while too but now I'm going to start bulking I think. 64kg 5ft11, currently eating around 1800-1900 calories a day. Probably like 10-12% bodyfat? Hard to estimate but I'd say I'm just 'skinny' rather than anything else. Imagine Fight Club meme body I'm basically that but with a bit less 'muscle'.
>>
What is the best app for calculating calories ?
>>
>>40569881
Thanks that gives me hope. I still had a little bit of lower belly flab and little to no muscle. I totally looked like a jew in the '40, so i bulked up to 176 lbs and reached 1/2/3/4. Now I'm cutting back to lose the titties.
>>
Need a workout for obliques that isn't going to make me look retarded at the gym
>>
>>40570111
Pen/cil and paper.

Use your brain. Do the math yourself.
>>
>>40570065
Its some plantation that grows trees and such. I'd be picking up and carrying bunches of said trees around, essentially doing farmers walks. The weight of the bunches varies as far as I know. I've been told up to 8kg soaking wet and depending on the types. Hardly good for building strength, I reckon, Maybe it'll develop my grip strength though.

Chances are I might get a chance to drive the machines around every once in a while as well though, which sounds decent.

>backpack filled with stuff
Thats an option. I'd actually go ahead and get a weight vest then, but I don't really know much of those. Might come in handy afterwards as well.
>>
>>40570107
those are pretty full on workouts

if you're able to do them 6 days a week you probably aren't using enough weight
>>
Lower back pain when squatting?

Has anyone dealt with this issue? If I'm doing high reps for example 4-10 at lower weights my lower back gets super sore. The pain lasts for about 10 minutes and is then back to normal.

What to do? Is this sign of a weak lower back or tightness or what?
>>
>>40568840
>tfw the sticky is fucked and barely works anymore

Why do people keep bringing it up like it's relevant anymore?
>>
>>40570206
>>tfw the sticky is fucked and barely works anymore
what did he mean by this
>>
I was halfway through stronglifts 5x5 program when I decided to try PPL . I'm currently a week into PPL and I've never felt so sore, it feels great and I definitely notice I'm getting much bigger already. Why did I even fuck around on stronglifts to begin with?
>>
sometimes when doing ohp, when i lower the bar i feel something in my back/shoulder, like a bit of pain, like a nerve, idk. what could it be?
>>
>>40569486
Dude.
This >>40569608
I can do upward of 200kg, you aren't even close to beast.
>>
>>40569518
Power rack + bench is GOAT.
Dumbbells are cool.
Bar is obvious.

Put a pull up bar on your power rack and done with what you want plus you have a sick nasty minimal home gym.
>>
>>40570149
Used to have these,and they were caused by butt winks,don't know how to put it in words but focus on not shifting your ass when going up with the bar,some youtubers made videos on it you should check them out to know how to fix it,pretty sure elliot made a video on it,personally i started slowing down the weight which i add so i can learn to maintain proper control as it becomes a lot harder when squatting heavy and focused on maintaining proper posture,another thing that helped me is mark rippetoe's instructional video on how to squat
>>
>>40568339
>Why is 3x10 regarded as a poor set?
It isn't, it's just that a lot of people who try to make their own retarded programes default to it without really knowing why.

>>40568789
>thinking about doing keto, is it advantageous for fat loss over a regular deficit ?
The only benefit of keto is that it helps with insulin resistance and that it tends to curb hunger pangs. So it's a good choice if you're prediabetic and have poor impulse control. Otherwise it's inferior to a balanced diet, especially if you lift weights. It won't make you lose weight any faster, the extra "lost" weight is just water and glycogen.

>>40568890
Do cardio. Maybe try out working calves and forearms. Otherwise don't mess too much with your routine if you're still on linear gains.

>>40569208
Pyramid sets are a meme unless you're overreaching. And if you're doing that constantly as part of your programme, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>40569486
>I have ridiculously muscley legs
>93kg leg press
No you don't. That's the equivalent of benching the bar. Even for a girl that's pathetic.
>I want slimmer legs because I don't like looking like a female German shot putter.
>Any tips for slimming them down and dropping some muscle?
Don't work out, eat like shit. But detraining a body-part because it stands out is retarded: what you do is lower the volume and make the rest catch up.

>>40569589
>>40569336
It's most likely adductor tendonitis, happens all the time to noobs with improper stance due to shit mobility. Don't do squats for a week or two, in the meantime do gentle mobile stretches. Take it easy once it heals, correct you're stance.

>>40569834
They do have abs, it's just that they are weak. How strong your core is (and your genetics) determines how big and aesthetic your abs look. The "abs are made in the kitchen" bit merely states that you won't SEE them unless you have low bf%.

>>40569954
Willpower, cut out simple carbs, eat lots of watery and fiber rich food ie. vegetables.

>>40570149
If your spine stays neutral, lower back pain can be due to shit ab engagement or pushing trough your heels instead of midfoot which makes all the load fall on your erectors.

>>40570235
Because dyels have shit form, weak joints and tendons - doing PPL is more likely to fuck your shit up. Also progressing in weight is a lot simpler on novice programmes, and that's what you want as a noob.
>>
>>40570233
That most of the links are dead and go nowhere.
>>
>>40570235
>Why did I even fuck around on stronglifts to begin with?
learning proper form and engagement
strengthening your joints, tendons and cartilages
getting your strength levels to be even across your body so you have a nice symmetrical foundation to start with
as a dyel your progression will be fast so it's simpler to keep adding weight to compounds than tracking progress with a dozen machine/dumbbell exercises
it's much easier to overtrain and snap your shit up on PPL, on SL you have a chance to get to know your limits
quickly upping your bodys anaerobic capacity before jumping into a high volume programme
being big is not the same as being strong - the stronger you are the faster you can get big
>>
File: 1468283262682.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1468283262682.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
>>40567383
My squat cant go past 225. Im doing high bar and my lower back starts to hurt when im done. I know im not rounding my back. What can I do to fix it?
>>
>>40567927
I dont think they figure in much. Just support. Your hamstring and traps should carry most of the weight.
>>40567951
Good. Starting to become avatar posting with tumblr gifs and a tripcode.
>>
gym is closed for a few weeks so I do stuff at home, I did back today and since the weights are low I figured out I can do a lot of reps and sets.
long story short after 15 sets of dumbbell rows and 15 of dumbbell deadlifts my back hurts when I breath, what do
>>
>>40570116
You can do oblique crunches. Stand straight put a 45 lb plate in one hand and lower it towards the side of your feet and then pull it back up.
>>40570238
Do you do incline dumbbell press? Sometimes it can hurt your shoulder if you went heavy with bad form on that. I found my OHP hurt when I was doing several sessions of incline dumbbell press so I readjusted to make sure I was doing them right.
>>
Ready for two dumb ones?
Recently switched from greyskull LP to lower weight more sets more reps for hypertrophy
>Why am I more sore now
>Could this change cause drop in libido?

Bonus question
>If I do five dl reps at 200 lbs or ten dl reps at 100 lbs I am doing the same "work" as defined by physisicts.
Why do they affect the body different?
>>
>>40570616
>Bonus question
>If I do five dl reps at 200 lbs or ten dl reps at 100 lbs I am doing the same "work" as defined by physisicts.
Why do they affect the body different?
Doing higher reps with lower weight is more cardio/endurance gains. Doing lower reps with higher weight is strength gains. Both are useful for different things. I do some lower dls for forearm gains as my grip is terrible. So I lower the weight and do higher reps to keep my hands under tension longer.
>>
>>40570771
Yes, but it's not the same. Just like a car accelerating from 0 to 100km/h is not the same as it accelerating from 100 to 200km/h.

In the cars case the difference is mainly down to wind resistance, in your case it's down to how close you are to your maximum output - your body isn't a linear el. motor. You can walk walk at a moderate pace for a long time, but you can run for much less than that. Even if you would've ended up covering the same distance - the demands on your body are very different.
>>
Should i start ss today. It's Friday so it should be workout A day. Also should I do some shit this weekend instead of take off since I starting ss today?
>>
>>40570436
>>40569895
Thanks, anons. Kinda sucks that I have to stop squating for a couple of weeks, I love squats. Doing deadlifts is fine though, right?
>>
>>40571011
Makes no difference. It doesn't have to be mon/tue/fri if some other schedule works better for you. You could just test your maxes today and start on Monday - or test your maxes, do your 3X5 and then continue on Sunday.
>>
>>40569454
fuck you
>>
>>40571027
If it doesn't hurt when you do deadlifts, then sure.

Tendonitis can be sneaky, usually just taking a week or two off as soon as it starts will make it disappear. But if you persist in "working trough the pain" then it can get a hell of a lot worse. Two weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If it appears again (or you get abductor tendonitis) then it's likely due to a stance that is too wide or too narrow.

This is also one of the reasons why people do beginner programmes, you see where your structural/technique weaknesses are and have time to correct them before you jump into a high volume programme.
>>
>>40571027
just shut up you bloody faggot
>>
>>40571065
Alright, thank you for help!
>>
>>40571030
I should test my maxes. Been messing around with my weights while I was waiting for Rack to ship. Just finished building it last night. I benched more than I could squat wth. Also ss or sl
>>
>>40571181
>Also ss or sl
Assuming you don't have bumper plates in your home gym - SL. Or maybe have a look at GSLP, but it isn't that important - all three will get the job done.
>>
>>40570949
OK so the running would tax my heart more which makes heart gains.
Running also saves time.
But in terms of work done in the physics sense it is the same.
Are the kcal burned the same, given that sweating doesn't burn Cal just water?
Tryna make brain gains too
>>
>>40568311
If you're using a belt it's too heavy
>>
>>40568311
whenever you feel you need one

if you want to lift more weight and get more out of your squat and deadlifts, you should belt up as soon as your proprioception and bracing is on point without a belt
>>
>>40571254
>But in terms of work done in the physics sense it is the same.
Theoretically yes, in practice that is not necessarily the case - the processes by which your body produces energy under high load are less efficient than the ones you use under low load. The most energy efficient pace (assuming no injuries etc.) is your natural walking pace.

Think of it as using a car with no gear box: the faster you go, the higher the rpms and the more power you get, but fuel efficiency takes a hit. Then again, torturing the engine at low rpms is also sub-optimal. Plus you gotta factor in wind resistance when running, gait efficiency etc.

The human body is not one fixed mechanism with linear responses to increased stress. It's a complex system where various metabolic processes mix seamlessly and where various parts can be bottlenecks depending on load.

"Hypertrophy ranges" are not called that because your body has some magical response to them - but because they are just in that sweet spot where you get the best "anaerobic mileage," though this varies from individual to individual and from muscle group to muscle group. "Strength ranges" are best at preventing structural, CNS and very short term metabolic bottlenecks. That's why any decent advanced (for noobs it's different) programme uses both.
>>
>>40571294
This, but I've gotta add: using a belt as a raw noob is not a bad idea either - it can give you a good idea of what proper bracing feels like. Just don't rely on it all the time.
>>
I want to do parkour. 3 days strength training 3 cardio days. On cardio days Should I cut C25K in half and do sprints so it´s half-endurance half-explosive?
>>
>>40567497

Lel.
THIS, kids, is why you should always stretch before your lifts.
Welcome to snap city, enjoy your 3-6 months of no lifting
>>
>>40571216
Yea I got bumpers so I can clean and do oly shit
>>
>>40570554
1. Stop being a pussy. It's probably just a lower back pump, not injury.

2. Do more volume
>>
>>40571401
Focusing on sprinting with shit cardio-vascular endurance is not a good idea, and as far as I remember C25K already has an interval component with all out paces.
>>
>>40567562

Read the sticky
>>
>>40571442
In that case you can do SS, just make sure you get your power cleans right - if you learn it wrong it's a bitch to relearn it the right way later on. Maybe go to a gym with good oly coaches and have them teach you for a session or two. Also, read the fucking book if you haven't already.
>>
>>40571470
I thought about going to actual gym for month with trainer because form is gonna be hard to learn on my own
>>
>>40569486

You just have a shitty upper body
>>
>>40571451
Okay, thanks m8. Will do full C25K and add a few seconds of sprinting at the end.
>>
>>40569871

> 2017
> people still fall for the strenght routines meme
>>
Will a week off take away my gainz?
>>
had a 9 hour shift today and only slept maybe 4 hours tonight? Is there any point in going to the gym? I'm tired as fuck but feel like i'd able to power through.
>>
>>40567530
how old are you today?
this is the right age
>>
>>40569521
This is genius
>>
>>40571592
Not unless you get into a car accident or stop eating for the entire week or decide to try what rat poison tastes like.

>>40569871
Wide hips are genetic, if they're really wide it will take quite some time until your obliques and lats get big enough to visually cancel them out. SL is there to give you a foundation, not to turn you into a greek god - that comes later. If you insist you can add some extra pull-up/lat-pulldown volume and start working your core.
>>
>>40571608
Lack of sleep is only a problem if it's a chronic thing. Otherwise the worst that will happen is a bum workout, it happens to everyone.
>>
When squatting, I find that turning my feet out 45 degrees is most comfortable for me. Is there anything wrong with this?

It looks weird compared to what I normally see, but it just feels right
>>
>>40567891
no
>>
>>40567891
They are two different exercises. That's like asking why benching is better than ohp.
>>
File: 1469564362625.jpg (262KB, 1400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1469564362625.jpg
262KB, 1400x1200px
I'm trying to UNJUST my life, 5'8 ft 308 lbs (140 kg) > 229 lbs (104 kg). I run the elliptical for 40 mins everyday. When should I start lifting? I know it still early but man loss skin just kills me
>>
>>40571804
Now.
>>
>>40571368
I don't have a, "the more you know" image saved on my phone, but I will give you my most prized possession. A (you) image someone custom made me.
Thanks for the knowledge.
>>
Whenever i tense my calf i feel kind of like the pain you get when it cramps
It has been like this for years but yesterday i started tensing it on purpose and now it hurts a lot more whenever i do it. Can anyone help me out?
>>
>>40571851
I want you to try doing it with both legs as hard as you can while camping.
I call this technique two in tents.

PS does this shit work?
>>
Hey fit!
Is there any good app to log the calories consumed, and in relation to the weight estimate the TDEE with de data collected? I'm doing that with an exel spreadsheet, but an app would be way better.
Not talking about MFP or the likes, that calculates calories in food, I got this part covered...
Also, more generally, usefull apps for lifting BBing? Thanks!
>>
Where the fuck can i download ss book
>>
>>40572307
literally googled starting strength pdf. First result.
>>
>>40572379
That's clips and pieces not whole book
>>
File: JesUSliftTs.jpg (48KB, 650x412px) Image search: [Google]
JesUSliftTs.jpg
48KB, 650x412px
Tried asking in the other qtddtot but it was mainly just vikingposting cancer.
Anyway, saw this link in another thread:
http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/03/07/considerations-for-beginners/
Is this real? The guy presumably knows his shit and advocates that beginners should workout 4 times a week. Also the routine seems to lack focus on the main lifts but then again, I'm inclined to trust him. Is he memeing or should I do this routine (just did 4 months of /fit/'s GreySkull so I'm still a beginner).
>>
>>40572455
If this just pieces?
http://whitmatthews.com/ss(DOT)pdf
Real question though, no sarcasm intended here
>>
>>40572307
>>40572455
what the hell man? just torrent it. how old are you? are you a girl or something?
>pirateproxy vip
>starting strength
literally took 20 seconds
>>
>>40572535
Site won't open. Is juggernaut the site that Dr. Israetel works for? In that case: yeah. The guy is as legit as they come and spouts far less bullshit than Rippletits.
>>
>>40572535
>>40572632
Nvmd, opened the site.
Yeah Smith and his pal Israetel are full on legit and their advice is rock solid.
>>
Can anyone red pill me on hot and cold baths? I'm in the middle of a lacrosse season and have serious lactic acid buildup (I think). My muscles aren't too sore to move, it's just like they have no explosiveness and it feels like I'm running through sand. Ice baths are the recommended choice by teammates, and I understand the idea, but I've been wondering about hot baths. Like wouldn't it make sense to get the blood flowing through the muscles to get lactic acid out???
>>
>>40572603
Link dead
>>
>>40572535
Don't know the guy, but I see the main lifts in the routine... Lacks DL, but I guess good mornings are the to fill the lower back part with less possible bad form.
I'd say there's a lack of abs focus, too.
As long as the 4 days a week, this is good advice!
>>
>>40572669
Did you remove the (dot) and replace it by an actual dot?

Here it is http://whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf (thought 4chan blocked links)
>>
>>40572658
>have serious lactic acid buildup (I think).
No you don't, lactic acid buildup either clears within minutes of exercise or you die.

Cold baths for right after exercise so you cut down on circulation - short term that's good since it prevents swelling.
Hot bath at least 24h after exercise so you get more circulation for recovery.
>>
>>40572678
Thanks for the spoon feeding
>>
>>40572681
What is my muscle fatigue from then?
>>
>>40572632
>>40572646
Idk but apparently that Smith guy is strong af. Plus his name is literally Chad.
However I'm having trouble understanding what the routine consists of and how you're supposed to overload (I don't read much about lifting and haven't browsed fit since I started). Anyone ran it and care to explain? Yeah sorry for being a spoonfedfag. I know there's a book and I should probably get it but I don't know if it's newfag friendly like GSLP is.
>>
>>40572708
You think that muscle fatigue is caused by lactic acid lingering for hours or even days? Jesus mate, that's bottom of the barrel bro-science.

Muscle fatigue is caused by microscopic damage and exhaustion of your ATP, creatine and glycogen reserves. Also to a lesser degree, due to the spike in cortisol and dip in test immediately after exercise.
>>
>>40572754
As I said: that guy and the site are legit.
If it's too complicated for you, then don't do it: the best routine is one you can actually follow.
>>
are there any benefits of increasing the amount of push ups i can do?
>>
>>40572754
The routine in the link is sound and will result in good progress. Will it make much bigger than doing SS or SL? No, but it can help you avoid some pitfalls that noobs often fall victim to.
>>
>>40572833
No. Push-ups and other strength exercises are a meme, it's all about brain gains and aligning your chakras with the universe.
>>
>>40572784
K whatever. How do I fix it and stay fresh?
>>
>>40572833
Depends on how much you can already do, and your goals... You should be able to do about 25~30 if you're fit.
No need to go above that if you're interested in hypertrophy, make the push ups harder instead (hip push ups, weighted...)
If you want to impress dudes and dudes with a 100 push ups pyramid, or go Saitama style, then yes you should.
>>
>>40572914
Sleep/rest, eat enough, and try foam rolling massages.
>>
>>40572914
>Lol I don't give a shit about that nerd shit.
>Just tell me, in retard speak, how to maximize my training efficiency.
By not being a retard. Fuck off.
>>
File: dog.jpg (47KB, 286x300px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
47KB, 286x300px
>>40568789
I've been doing keto for 6 months and have made pretty good gains on it but for the most part what >>40570303 said is on point. Even Lyle McDonald says it's much harder to get gains on it as opposed to something more moderate like 30/40/30 p/c/f.

Where it does help a ton is energy for endurance cardio and hunger control. I do keto+IF and I could honestly go days without eating. I personally prefer keto because I feel better, have more energy on it, and idk if it's related but my acne has cleared up completely.

For fat loss the main thing is calories in calories out, nothing is more important.
>>
Is it still no fap if I jerk off and don't cum?
>>
>>40573047
yes
>>
>>40573041
>I've been doing keto for 6 months
hope you've gotten bloodwork done
>>
>>40572951
4chan is a great place to get offended
>>
>>40572035
Anyone?
>>
1- when i do squats, i feel some pain where i put the bar on. spine and the skin, it feels like they are squashed. should i put the weight further back or is it normal?
2-im using this program
http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com.tr/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html
would it be bad or detrimental if i put bench on workout b too? i really enjoy benching
3-does cardio increase testosterone or lower it
im seeing a lot of contradicting info on this shit (although i guess you probably dont have any real knowledge on it but whatever)
>>
>>40573047
Not exactly, maintaining an erection uses test. But not that it matters: no fap is a meme. As long as you don't jerk off to the point of sexual exhaustion - you know when you get there, masturbation doesn't lower test and not masturbating or having sex for a long time can screw up your dick.

>>40573094
He asked a question, got it and then still stuck to his broscience. Why bother asking if you are going to just waste everyones time and just stick to your bullshit.
>>
>>40572803
>>40572853
Again, I don't know shit about the science behind lifting. I'm considering buying the book because people seem to think it's great. Does it assume previous knowledge?
>>
how are you guys implementing cardio HIIT in your lifting routine?

im doing lower body Monday & Thursday/friday so i got basically leg DOMS all week around. directly before/after workout is shit and on the other days either the DOMS are hindering my sprinting ability for HIIT or i get new DOMS from sprinting which hinder my lifting on the next day.
>>
>>40573155
1. Dunno.

2. No. Resting is essential for proper muscle building.

3. Cardio probably has no effect on test levels.
>>
>>40573234
Meant Yes for 2. It would be detrimental.
>>
>>40573223
I do brosplit mon/wed/Friday then hiit on Tues and thursday. Why do you want hench legs?
>>
File: average day in moscow.jpg (231KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
average day in moscow.jpg
231KB, 1024x683px
How do I calculate my Body Fat Index or whatever it is?
>>
>>40573331
Why would you need it?
>>
What is a good 4 day split to follow up SL? Been doing it for several months as a total noobie, gained a lot of strength, but I'm bored. I don't care about brute force really, I do it for the looks. Anyone experienced PHUL?
>>
>>40573331
First, Body Mass Index is not Body Fat percentage.

For BF, tape measure or fat calipers. Since you're asking you probably don't have calipers, so here's a website for tape measurements.
http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
>>
>>40573234
thanks for the answers

so one day of rest is too little for chest? even for a beginner?
we can do squats 3 days a week. is it because its a bigger muscle, or because we are putting the emphasis on the squats?
>>
>>40573351
PHUL is good.
>>
>>40573320

well why not? i do lower&upper body A1xB1xA2xB2 monday/tuesday/thursday/friday.

routine worked quite well so far for me (gained 20kg) but now that i want to cut its hard to find a window for demanding leg work like sprinting. maybe i'll just reduce to 3x a week
>>
Is a solid workout 3 times a week enough to make gains? My schedule is 12-13 hour days and a workout after. Doing 5x5 compounds and accessory, eating a lot at work for bulk.

Basically AxBxxCx repeat
>>
>>40573367
A bit of both. SS is known for emphasing legs. Plus, Quads are way bigger than pecs.

In general, as a beginner don't change the routine you're following if the routine is know to produce results. You might fail and do more harm than good.
>>
>>40573420
thanks!
>>
>prison officer interview tomorrow
>fitness and medical
>will pass the fitness no problem
>scared about the medical

If they measure my BMI it will be red flags everywhere because my BMI is absolutely fucked up.

Apparently I am very underweight, but I look fine, feel healthy, no health problems/eating disorders. I eat a lot of food (about 6 meals a day, 3 big main ones and smaller ones in between).

I am fucking scared I will fail the medical because my BMI is so fucked.
>>
>>40573784
Weight, height, bf%?

>I eat a lot of food
>I am very underweight
No you don't.
But let me guess: you're an ectomorph with a fast metabolism.
>>
>>40573784
Everyone knows that BMI is fucked up anyway. It's a useful tool, but they probably know its limits. With BMI, any bodybuilder is morbidly obese...
>>
>>40567383
guys im fucking scared right now. I'm having some pretty bad pain on the pinky side of my left wrist. i started feeling it when i was doing lat raises. i felt like a pop and then some sharp pain. while the pain has reduced, it's still kinda there 2 days later. it's not swollen or anything but im afraid something really bad has happened.
anyone ever experienced this before??
>>
>>40573860
>but they probably know its limits.
You've never worked in a government institution, have you?
>any bodybuilder is morbidly obese
Nope, morbidly obese is BMI of 40 and above. Most roided to the gills bbers are around 35 in the off-season. Too much extra weight, even if it is muscle is not good for you.
>>
File: 1470266279336.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1470266279336.webm
3MB, 640x640px
Is there any way to do squats safely without a rack and safety bars?
>>
>>40573897
Any bruising?
What about tingling?
Does the pain radiate down your arm?
Can you move your fingers normally?
>>
>>40573943
Yes:
Front squats - just clean the bar if you don't have a stand.
Goblet squats, or almost any other kind of dumbbell or kettlebell squats.
>>
When I've been sitting in front of the computer for a long time and have to sit for like 4 hours more, what kind of quick stretches and exercises can I do to get the blood flowing again? Like what someone might do when they wake up or something.
>>
Currently cutting on keto diet, ~1800 kal/day, lift 3-4 times a week, finish each workout with 15 mins of cardio

Lost about 5kg in 6 weeks, but my lifts are seriously going down. I knew I wouldnt make any gainz, but how much decrease is normal on a cut? Should I expect to decrease even more?

Used to bench 205lbs now at 155lbs
Squat 235lbs now 185lbs
>>
>>40573916
Actually I do. I'm a scholar in university.

And granted too much muscle isn't good, but you can be consider overweight with BMI and still be on the healthy side of muscular...
>>
>>40574036
You're doing something very wrong. As a noob/intermediate your lifts should barely go down or even increase slightly on a cut.

It's not even the speed of the cut: I've cut at that pace and lost no strength, know a lot of people with the same experience.

What are your stats? TDEE? Protein and fat intake?
>>
>>40574063
Then you know that standards trump case-to-case considerations.

Agreed. Most natties top out at 24 FFMI + 18% BF that's under BMI of 30.
>>
How do we get "strong"
I mean look at this
https://www.instagram.com/p/BN78MJUg-c7/
She's muscluar, but clearly not buff
Were animes correct? Is being strong more about mental strength?
Or is it about reaching to more muscle fibers?
How the fuck does it work?
>>
>>40574193
>She's muscluar, but clearly not buff
She's muscular, but not shredded. If she cut she would look a lot more ripped but would lose some strength.

>Is being strong more about mental strength?
Only partially: having big lifts is about being muscular + being used to lifting at high intensity ie. having good muscle coordination and technique. Plus it's in part genetic: having good leverages etc. You still have to have a lot of raw muscle.

>Or is it about reaching to more muscle fibers?
Again, that's the "having good muscle coordination and technique" part ie. making the most of what muscle you have.

>How the fuck does it work?
For a natty: strength is closely correlated to mass, for roiders it's more complicated.
>>
File: 1488213786028.jpg (27KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1488213786028.jpg
27KB, 499x499px
>>40573945
>no
>no
>pain is really on the edge of the wrist
>yes
>>
I basically have access to the gym 2 days a week. But I know that's not enough, so do you think it's possible to do one additional workout with bodyweight at home and make progress?
>>
How much can an average untrained male bench?
>>
>>40574036
>Currently cutting on keto diet
I've never done it but I'm guessing that's your problem right there and your true lifts haven't decreased as much
>>
>>40574269
yeah bodyweight is fine, but the progress might not transfer to your weightlifting regime

head over to bodyweight general about this
>>
>>40574248
Interesting
But come on
She is lifting way more than people who have way more muscle mass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwAAR7yMuyc
This is similar too
And what you said about roiders also makes you think

So muscle mass doesn't always equal strength
But would it be easier for someone to get stronger if he has more muscles, all else equal?
>>
>>40574263
Then I wouldn't worry too much in your place. Still, rest for a while and see a doc if you have any doubts.

>>40574269
The main disadvantage with body-weight routines is that it's a lot harder to judge progress and progressively overload- all manageable but a pain in the ass. Do you have any kind of equipment at home or do you have cash for some adjustable DBs and maybe a pull-up bar?
>>
>>40574432
thank you. i worry a lot about injuries. im going to see a sports med clinic today. hopefylly they give me a brace and some exercises i can do.
>>
>>40574317
>Bodybuilder: Lots of mass on the arms, shoulder, big pecs, wide back, narrow waist.
That muscle distribution will make you LOOK strong as fuck.
>Strongman: Huge legs, strong core, big but not necessarily very wide back.
On camera and in photos they don't LOOK as strong as a bodybuilder with the same stats, but their muscle distribution is a lot more functional ie. no major bottlenecks. Legs>Core>Back and Chest>Arms.

Also, if rarely train at near maximum intensity, your technique and muscle coordination for near-maximal lifts will obviously be inferior.
>>
>>40573859
65kg 185cm.
>>
Doing SL monday wednesday friday. When is HIIT best done? (skipping cardio not an option)
>>
>>40574574
Your BMI is 18.99. You can get it up to 19.5 if you eat a lot of salt, carbs and hydrate well before they measure you.

You're not considered underweight until your BMI is below 18.5. That being said: you should seriously consider bulking up to at least 22 or something like that.
>>
>>40574640
As long as you eat maintenance or at a slight surplus: rest days or after your main sessions.
If you're on a notable deficit: don't.
>>
>>40574640
Either mon, wed, fri right after your main lifts for 15-30 minutes.
Or tue, thu, sat for 30 minutes.
Make sure you eat enough, rest well and don't overdo it.
>>
>>40567383
arnie looks like he's in bat country
>>
>>40571723
>That's like asking why benching is better than ohp.
Haha and we all know that's wrong.
OHP is better than bench.
>>
Why am I not sore after workouts?

I feel like I'm lifting as much as I can. Any more weight than what I'm at and I can't finish the set. I've made sure that I'm doing all of my reps correctly. I feel a little tiredness in the areas I worked but it only lasts for like an hour.

I get plenty of rest and (try to) eat a shit load for bulking. I'm pretty /skelly/ so I would have thought I should be sore after lifting so much.
>>
>>40575210
Soreness doesn't mean shit once you're over your initial DOMS - and a lot of people experience that differently too.

Are you using good form? Are you increasing your weight at a decent pace? Yes? Then you're doing it right.
>>
I don't sweat when I lift, only occasionally on my forehead. Is it broscience saying "you're not pushing yourself hard enough"?
>>
>>40575210
If you're a skelly and not getting sore at all the day after a workout you're probably doing something wrong.
>>
>>40575337
Depends on your weight, cardio-vascular endurance, temperature and humidity in your gym, clothes you wear, genetics etc.

Usually, though, deadlifting and squats should have you sweating if you're pushing yourself.
>>
My bulged disc is healing up pretty well. What are some good excersies to strengthen my body so I don't hurt my back again. Also it was due to my leg bones being misaligned not bad form
>>
>>40575287
Cool thanks. Yeah I try to go up ten pounds every week. Not sure if that's average or standard or whatever, but it's what I can manage.
>>40575338
But I've had my form checked and any more weight is too much. What else could it be?
>>
>>40575430
volume?
>>
>>40575430
>What else could it be?
Nothing, more soreness doesn't mean you're working harder, especially on a noob programme.
>>
What is good hypertrophy routine that has bodyparts worked more than once a week and isnt 5 or 6 days per week? Or does exist fullbody for intermediates focused on size?
>>
>>40574064
That's what most people tell me, found it weird myself. I had a 3 week christmas break from lifting before the cut, but that's still quite a big loss.

TDEE is at 2600 cal, usually go for 30% protein 60% fat and 10% carbs, although I fucked it up a few times when the gf decides she wants to eat out.

I'm 6' and 90kg now, started at 95kg.

>>40574279
Explain? I know eating low carbs means less energy for lifts, but I just didnt expect such a drop.
>>
Could you please come get your gay children home?

>>>/mu/71363592

And could you weirdinis please try and contain your autism in the future?

t./mu/
>>
>>40575592
30% protons at 1800kcal comes out to 135 grams, which should be plenty
you're obviously getting your fat quota
>10% carbs
yeah, keto is not great for lifting. try a normal diet, you're most likely not obese with severe insulin resistance so why the fuck are you doing it?

also try lowering your volume and upping your intensity.
if all else fails cut out cardio completely.

>>40575611
back to your nu-male twink containment zone, nobody cares.
>>
I heard if you go to the gym ur a fagit
>>
According to my knowledge of bulking and building muscle, I eat at a surplus so when my muscles need to repair, the body uses the extra calories and protein(amino acids) to do work and build muscle. So does this mean surplus calories are directly related to muscle growth, as in eating more calories regardless of macro source? But you can only build so much muscle until it's stored as fat

Basically how does muscle growth relate to calories consumed, and what is optimal for least fat gain
>>
>>40575787
Guess I fell for the keto meme.

Thanks lad, I'll try a normal diet for the month of March and see how it goes.
>>
Help! I think I fucked up big time. I had some frozen chicken legs and baked the on gas mark 6 for 45 mins from frozen but then I realized that they were supposed to be cooked from thawed.

The chicken has some blood in it from a vein but was piping hot and not pink so I ate pieces without blood on them. Did I fuck myself over? It's been half an hour so I think throwing it up is too late. Yes I am a retard.
>>
>>40575886
>So does this mean surplus calories are directly related to muscle growth, as in eating more calories regardless of macro source?
Not necessarily, it's a bit more complicated than that.

>But you can only build so much muscle until it's stored as fat
Yes.

>Basically how does muscle growth relate to calories consumed, and what is optimal for least fat gain
For optimal muscle growth you need a certain amount of fat, protein, minerals, vitamins and a certain amount of carbs. Everything after that is simply extraneous. Once you hit that, other factors become the bottle-neck: your MRV, which depends on your hormonal levels, genetics, rest, amounts of stress, training method etc.

Being on a surplus helps since otherwise your body would use a decent portion of your calorie intake to build muscle and make up the difference from burning fat ie. you would recomp. This is feasible if you are a noob or intermediate lifter, but as an advanced lifter you're on an up-phill battle against diminishing returns - eating at a surplus will help a lot in building muscle, how much exactly depends on a long list of factors and you are best of seeing for yourself.
>>
>>40575952
Hope for the best. You could get food-poising including salmonella, but it's not a given.

But if it was piping hot and steaming on the inside, then I doubt you're in much danger.
>>
>>40575952
You can find chunks of coagulated blood in properly cooked chicken if it wasn't drained properly. Doesn't mean it was under-coked.
>>
My stomach is fat and my arms are skinny. How do I reverse this? I want to build muscle and lose weight. Should I diet while lifting?
>>
>>40576000
I have a bad feeling. Fuck me.

>>40576030
Yeah but since it was cooked from frozen it should have probably been in the over for over an hour rather than 45 minutes. If anything happens I deserve my fate for being a retard and not reading the instructions.
>>
>>40576049
>Should I diet while lifting?
yes
>>
>>40576049
Read the sticky mate.

>>40576061
Nah, don't be so pessimistic. Even if you ate it under-cooked that still doesn't mean you'll get sick.

If you do, though: stock up on crackers and cottage cheese and maybe move your bed next to the shitter. Also, those ampules containing gut flora bacteria will help you recover much faster.
>>
139lb 5'7 manlet on a cut here. My bf is around 15%, I can see my abs but they're not defined at all. Should I stop cutting? I have flared ribs so my upper torso looks Auschwitzmode, but I'd like to have more visible abs. Is is possible to get to ~10% bf on my first cut as a previous skinnyfat?
>>
>>40576049
Read sticky, eat at deficit calories, start lifting.
>>
>>40576130
>Is is possible to get to ~10% bf on my first cut as a previous skinnyfat?
Sure, why not.

There are two possibilities regarding your flared ribs:
1. Your rib-cage is deformed: you have pectus or something else - in that case only surgery will fix it.
2. Your thoracic spine is flattened, either in isolation (unlikely) or as a compensation/consequence of having ATP ie. anterior pelvic tilt. There are tons of resources on how to fix it, Alan Thrall has a pretty good video on fixing ATP.
>>
>>40576167
>ATP
*APT, fuck me - always make that mistake.
>>
>>40576049
eat a slight caloric deficit, about 250cal, and lift.

read the sticky
>>
are there any benefits to intermittent fasting if calorie control isnt a problem?
>>
Is it worth it to get an ab roller? How good of an ab exercise is it?
>>
>>40576130
The rib part is down to apt (unless you have a genetic condition like mild pectus excavatum.)

Weak abs (which explains the poor definition) and posterior chain + tight/shortened lower-back and hip flexors. Happens due to improper breathing, too much sitting or just generally being sedentary. All this causes your hips to be angled forward, which causes a chain reaction that makes the bottom part of your rib-cage stick out.

If it is pectus, then your only option is saving for surgery.
>>
>>40567940
this is exactly what SS is, wtf are you talking about...
>>
>>40576216
Yes. It's great, not to the memetic levels some make it out to be - but it's still pretty fucking great and one of the smartest investments you can make.
>>
>>40576236
He was being sarcastic mate.

>>40576193
Some swear by it, I never noticed much of a difference. The main benefit is for obese people and people who have trouble not snacking ie. calorie control, otherwise your mileage may vary.
>>
>>40576167
>>40576224
I do have pectus, but the pectus itself isn't as severe as the rib flare. I can't afford the surgery anytime soon so I'll just focus on my gut fat for now.
Progress feels kinda slow though, is it possible to determine how long it will take to drop to ~10%bf?
>>
>>40576272
> is it possible to determine how long it will take to drop to ~10%bf?
Yes nigger, it's called counting calories and basic math. What have you been doing before to control your cut?
>>
>>40567383
I found this delicious yoghurts from Alpro but theyre from soy
also I found about the use of soy sauce when you sautee the veggies and holy fuck its delicious

anyways, does soy really harm your T-levels?
>>
>>40575965
Follow up, does eating at a surplus trigger muscle growth with working out and sufficient protein? Let's say you are eating at a 500 calorie surplus, and on a given day you meet your protein goal, but are more than 500 calories under your calorie goal. Does it make sense to go eat carbs/fats(or proteins) to reach the calorie goal?
>>
>>40576283
I mean as in time, like a certain amount of months or something. As soon as I got to around 150 pounds my progress slowed down for some reason, losing like 3 pounds per month or something. I assumed I fucked up my calorie counting somewhere, or that I wasn't hitting enough weight on my lifts.
>>
>>40576301
If it's raw - it spikes your est levels.
If it's cooked - the jury is still out, maybe best avoid eating too much. A little is most definitely fine though.
>>
>>40576322
Yes. If your calculations are off then either you're shit at counting calories, are overestimating your TDEE or are cutting too aggressively and your LM is going down thus affecting your TDEE.

It could also be due to you not recalculating your TDEE every couple of kilos or due to normal variances in water weight, bowel content etc.

Cutting from 15% to 10% (without losing LM) requires more precision than cutting from, say, 20% to 15% since your metabolic buffer is smaller.

>>40576308
Yes. It will prevent your body from dipping into your fat reserves which will keep you in a more anabolic state. As a noob the difference is minor though, if you're fat you're better off recomping or even going on a slight cut than bulking.
>>
My back hurts when I bend over backwards, is it my deadlift, my ohp, my squat, what is it?
>>
>>40576416
Could be any number of things:
1. You hurt yourself in a minor way.
2. You hurt yourself in a serious way.
3. It's just a bit of normal soreness.
4. It's just soreness, but caused by poor technique.

Go see a doctor if it persists.
>>
>>40576364
Is recomp just eating at maintenance and losing fat/gaining muscle at the same time? Thanks for the help btw
>>
>>40576455
Yes, (body) recomp(osition.) Your weight stays about the same, but the ratio of muscle:fat is altered - so your bf% drops and you lose fat despite staying the same weight.
>>
How long can I realistically expect to hit two plate bench? Currently 6'3" 190 and doing 5x5 at 135.
>>
>>40576620
Varies wildly. If your diet and training are on point and you're genetically average then probably around 3-4 months until you hit it for 1RM.
>>
>>40576620
Different factors
Cutting?
How long do you lift?
How bad is your form?
How is life

6 months to a year?
>>
>>40576666
>6 months to a year?
For a 6'3'' guy who is starting decently (135lbs 5X5 = T1RM of about 75kg) seem very pessimistic.

But in the end it doesn't matter all that much: the time will pass anyways.
>>
anyone here is a chef or aspiring to be one ?
how do you balance it out with lifting?
>>
>>40576700
I thought, he meant 225 for 5 reps
>>
>>40576778
Oh yeah, in that case it would take about 6 months or more. I assumed he meant 1RM.
>>
>>40575952
Chance of actually getting sick from raw meat is extremely rare. People make it out like it's way easier than it is. You will be fine bro
>>
Does PPL work?
Or i stick with a muscular group per day?
>>
>>40572784
holy shit you're actually retarded.
>exhaustion of ATP
you literally make like ~60kg of it a day, you dont exhaust it, you make it as needed.
>glycogen
if youre a marathon runner sure, lifting for 40 minutes is barely dropping your blood glucose, glycogen kicks in for endurance and sleep. Only reason this is gonna get fuck is if youre not eating.
>creatine
doesnt fucking move much during exercise, if anything is increasing over time
>cortisol
correct actually but not the reason he's fatigued, this is short term shit, levels rebound pretty quickly after exercise, stress etc
>test
I bet you think nofap helps dont you

t. a biochemist
>>
Would I do better eating almond butter over peanut butter?
>>
Why does squatting hurt my back. It hurts where bar sits on back I can't keep it on my tiny ass back muscles.
>>
>>40568881
>>40569975
>>40573392
Related to my question

I've been doing SS for about a month and a half but I'm not satisfied with my progress. I have the motivation and discipline to go at least 5 days a week but sticky says to keep to the schedule. Will working out 3 days a week really work?
>>
I finally found a Powerlifting gym in my area and I'm interested in going. I know the basics of lifting but I know my form is shit and I am interested in getting some coaching.

What should I keep an eye open for/expect to see/hope to see when I go to a gym that calls itself a 'Powerlifting Gym'?
>>
>>40568856
Pls respond.

My deadlift has been bothering me all day
>>
>>40578025
Build your traps. Or use lowbar.
>>
File: Tropical-green-smoothie-2.jpg (339KB, 1895x1813px) Image search: [Google]
Tropical-green-smoothie-2.jpg
339KB, 1895x1813px
>>40567383
are green smoothies for faggots

should i give in and just buy that vitamix
>>
Yo if I go lift, and once done drink a decent amount of strong whiskey, will it kill my gains like the rumors say?
>>
how to fix imbalances?

I find my right arm more difficult to push when benching
>>
>>40573155
1. You are not supporting the bar properly. SS has some good pictures in it on the low bar squat, but basically your elbows should be up and back with the bar pinned between mid shoulder and your hands (thumb over grip).
>>
>>40578181
dumbbells
>>
>>40578101
Depends on whether you are using proper form and going intensely enough on the days you lift. You should have trouble finishing your sets every time or you aren't going hard enough. I've been on SS for five months and have made good progress both on strength and aesthetics.

5'8" at 148lbs
BP - 3x5 at 145lbs - 3x5 180lbs
Deadlift - 1x5 at 145lbs - 1x5 220lbs
Pullups - 2x8 at 0lbs - 3x8 at 25lbs
Dips - 3x8 at 0lbs - 3x8 at 45lbs
Barbell Row - 3x5 at 60lbs - 3x5 at 119lbs
OHP - 3x5 at 60lbs - 3x5 at 90lbs
Squat - Shit due to back issues
I also do a few accessories like planks and curls
>>
I'm currently doing about 40-50 minutes of lifting every day except Sunday, and then 180 minutes of Cardio every day. I'm trying to go from 203 Pounds to a 169 before June because I want to get rid of this fat I have. I'm following my macros and eating about 1800 calories a day and aiming to reduce it more but I feel like I'm not getting the best results, since I've been doing this much cardio for years now.

/fit/, what's your recommendation for how many hours of lifting/cardio you do a day when trying to lose weight?
>>
File: 1488258094631-fit.png (210KB, 999x999px) Image search: [Google]
1488258094631-fit.png
210KB, 999x999px
The 1/2/3/4 thing I see here is ohp, bench, squat, DL?
>>
How to deal with people on busy hours when you have a short fuse?
>>
>>40578385

Yes,
1pl8 OHP (135 lbs)
2pl8 Bench (225 lbs)
3pl8 Squat (315 lbs)
4pl8 Deadlift (405 lbs)
>>
>>40578370

Thanks for the reply. This is really what I was looking for; someone who got results with SS. If it worked for you, it should work for me so I'll keep going with ss for the time being. I didn't think to add weight to my dips or pull ups so I'll definitely do that.
>>
I just gained enough weight to go from 6'4, 148-->170. While I can see my weight change at what weight will I look fit to the average person.
>>
So if my diet is on point and have a little cash to spurgle, what are the tried-true supps that I should buy? I have only consumed whey
I have been training for 2 years
>>
>>40570111

MyFitnessPal or fat secret are good choices. Fat secret is cleaner looking than mfp. Mfp has a bar code scanner.
>>
>>40577962
he's an endurance athlete you dip.
>>
File: train.jpg (953KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
train.jpg
953KB, 1920x1080px
>>40567383

Anyone knows what is the name or brand of these shoes?
>>
File: 1486078054098.jpg (66KB, 717x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486078054098.jpg
66KB, 717x500px
>>40581216
i hate free stuff
>>
>Far away gym where transit takes up a lot of time, but I can go to with a friend in the evening

>Close gym I have to go alone in but can do it every morning
>>
File: SabineLisicki.jpg (62KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
SabineLisicki.jpg
62KB, 396x594px
>>40581216
>>40581216

This???
>>
So virtually every time I do lunges, I strain my groin/adductor (can't remember which side because I am a retard), the fuck do I need to do to fix this? Is my adductors just weak or are my quads shit, etc?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170225-214317.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170225-214317.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>40567383
Routinse to increase aerobic capacity. I'd like to sprint longer than a good minute.
>>
I need some new shoes for the gym. Are the lifting ones a meme? I need a balance between "multipurpose" and safety for heavy lifts.
>>
best rep ranges for isolation exercises? Been focusing on compounds for the last two months with a few curls thrown in etc but want to incorporate them properly and effectively - what do bros?
>>
>>40582544
tak your shoes off and lift in your socks desu - comfier, helps form, win.
>>
Is 1/2/3/4 maxing or hitting it for reps? And if so how many reps
>>
>>40582588
here probably 5 reps
>>
>>40582576
Thanks for the tip, but not gonna happen.
>>
When working a muscle groupe twice a week, which is better:
- Doing the same exercises the second day, to focus on progressing on those particular exercises.
- Doing different exercises, to work the muscle in more ways.
>>
>>40582614
if you don't want to fork out for lifting shoes you can get running shoes with a slightly raised heel - Puma Ignites are great I found, and they're only £40
>>
>>40567389
> QTDDTOT
> Google it
Stfu nigger and get out
>>
Anyone know of a good 3 day a week routine that only works upper body? I've been doing regs park for a couple months but ive stopped doing lower body because I'm training for a marathon, and now my workouts are too easy. Any suggestions?
>>
>>40567383
Is one day fast weekly, on rest day going to do much damage to my muscle? I can manage hunger but overtraining is killing me and i would prefer to create deficit by undereating rather than training more.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.