[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lifting Gear, What Is Necessary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

Am I the only one that just lifts in regular old worn out shoes like Chuck Taylors, a plain fitted t shirt and sweats? Do I need lifting shoes, a belt, straps, knee straps, chalk, gallon jug with aminos, have pre workout scoop ready exactly right before doing your set, Dre beats, gym shark or futuristic Nike clothing and a phone with Instagram installed in order to ever make it and complete a propa workout? Do people think I am autistic for being a 16.9oz water bottle instead of a blender cup with neon shit in it?
>>
>>40510682
Nothing is necessary, the greeks trained naked. The only autistic thing here is making a thread asking
>>
>>40510682
Get some footy shorts ya gay cunt and she'll be right
>>
>>40510682
most of that shit is pretty useless, unless you're lifting insane amounts.

honestly, the only thing I would recommend is getting a tsunami barbell (google it). most studies show rigid barbell can cause a lot of strain on your joints and bones.
>>
>>40510682
weights/limbs, if you want to lift heavy
just limbs, if you want lift natural
>>
>>40510682
>Do I need lifting shoes, a belt, straps, knee straps, chalk, gallon jug with aminos, have pre workout scoop ready exactly right before doing your set, Dre beats, gym shark or futuristic Nike clothing and a phone with Instagram installed

Jesus christ so many of these faggots at my uni gym, all of them benching 0.5 plate and taking up a ridiculous amount of equipment with their 5 gym bros all working out together

Imagine being so obsessed with being a "gym bro" that you spent hundreds on the "uniform" and equipment, but forgot to do the most important bit which is actually fucking lift heavy.
>>
>>40510682
I like sleeves, shoes and a belt personally.
>>
nothing is necessary but memes aside

>lifting shoes
very good for people who have poor ankle mobility or if you in general do lots of olympic lifts. if you are serious about lifting and squatting you should get them.

>lifting belt
very good regardless of what skill level you are. allows you to get tighter core which means better stability and the ability to lift more weight. just don't use it for all sets. only use it on your heaviest work sets and don't forget to work on your core. don't think that you can't injure yourself using this. if you lift with bad form nothing will help you.

>lifting straps
once you get to heavy deadlift weight (or any other pulling exercise) your grip will start to fail. in deadlift example most people start using mixed grip which can cause imbalances and injuries, a hook grip (best option) or straps. same as belt, if you use straps only use them for your heaviest work sets and once you can no longer hold the bar without them so you are always working on your grip.

>knee sleeves
if you are doing heavy squats then you should 100% use this shit regardless if you need it or not. don't confuse sleeves with wraps. sleeves are for injury prevention. you don't want to fuck up your knees, ever. you can wear them for all of your squat sets. http://boxlifemagazine.com/knee-wraps-vs-knee-sleeves-whats-the-difference/
>>
File: 1485623172227.jpg (207KB, 692x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485623172227.jpg
207KB, 692x960px
>>40510682
Belt comes in handy, for me especially on squats, it doesn't do that much on diddy.

I'm really thinking about getting straps because my forearms give up after deadlifts and I still have some serious back work on the same day, so I would say they are handy.

I'm also using wrist wraps sometimes.

Maybe I will get knee sleeves some day, but my squat is good so I don't see a point right now.

Can't go wrong with chalk, my hands aren't really slippery so I don't use it most of the time, but generally it's useful.

Other than that, I'm lifting in chucks and some basic sports shorts plus tshirt.

If you really need people to tell you what is not useless from the equipement you just listed, then you probably haven't been lifting for too long.
>>
File: 1464589743668.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1464589743668.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>40510881
>in deadlift example most people start using mixed grip which can cause imbalances and injuries
>>
>>40510910
Not him but hook is the best grip.
>>
>>40510682
headbands
>>
>>40510927
but hook grip hurts my finger, anon.
>>
>>40510927
how do i into hook grip
>>
>>40510927
There is literally not a single problem with using mixed grip.

There is also literally no reason to use a hyperspecialized grip and destroy your thumb's tactility unless you compete (or plan to compete) in weightlifting.
>>
>>40510682
>lifting shoes
They're worth it in my opinion. Even 200$ Adipowers or Romaleos. They'll last for years and really improve stability. I wouldn't buy them in your first month of lifting, but when you can be sure that you'll keep doing it for many years, I don't see why you shouldn't buy a pair. Especially if you squat with a lot of forward knee travel. But even if you don't, they provide great stability for every lift where you have your feet on the ground - OHP, rows, bench

>belt
Can be practical for max attempts. If you compete in Powerlifting, definitely get one. If not, you should probably lift without one for most of the time, for as long as possible.

>straps
Again, they can be useful for certain training, but you have to make sure you don't start relying on them. For high rep deadlifts. For heavy barbell rows.

>knee straps
I guess you mean wraps? Wraps only if you compete in PL with wraps. Knee sleeves if you have knee problems, but I don't think they're necessary if you warm up and stretch and use full ROM which could keep your joints healthy.

>chalk
Get some. There's no reason not to use it.

>gallon jug with aminos
If you drink a gallon during training, sure. Aminos are useful but not necessary.
supplements you should take if you lift:
>creatine
>vitamin D
>fish oil
>whey if you struggle to get enough protein

>pre-workout
don't. Coffee and some simple carbs are all you need.

>dre beats
gay
>gym shark
gay
>nike clothing
wear whatever you want
>phone with instagram
narcissistic exhibitionism
>>
>>40510682
>weights
and you can skip that too, they just make it a lot simpler. dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, water bottles filled with sand, whatever.
>>
>>40510984
>aminos
literally no better than drinking a glass of milk half an hour before you work out.
>>
>>40511021
explain
>>
>>40510682
I use preworkout, but only seen as i have crohns which can make me dead tired. I also use gloves because my wife hates calluses.

However good equipment is actually Bluetooth headphones, save so much hassle.
>>
>>40510682
T shirt, shorts, good shoes, water/energy drink and a winners attitude
>>
>>40511057
what is there to explain?
aminos are supposedly great because they are absorbed faster than eating protein which then needs to be broken down into aminos to get used.

however:
>just eating your protein a bit before your training will give your body enough time to break down some of the protein.
>muscle recovery and growth are bottlenecked by factors than protein-amino breakdown
>milk has fantastic protein completeness that can rival BCAAs and digests fast.

the other supposed benefit of BCAAs is that they have the right ratio of amino acids

however:
>almost all animal products have it too, unless you're vegan - this is unlikely to be a problem
>you can always eat a little more protein, of which you need way less than most gym rats think, anways, to make up the 2-5% difference.

also, the value of "the anabolic window" is blown far out of propotion. it is only really crucial if you train fasted or do a lot of cardio along your weight-lifing. but, again, just drinking a glass of milk (or just have regular protein shake) and maybe having an oat cookie will take care of that.

TL;DR BCAAs and glutamine are complete scams unless you're a world class lifter whose earnings depend on a 0.1% margin of performance. maybe even then.
>>
>>40511121
thanks famalam
It's basically the same bottom line as for all supplements. They're convenient, but don't do more than real food does.
>>
>>40510682
You don't need anything aside from clothes and flat shoes. That's it. If you're training for recreation or bodybuilding, stop here. Now, if you actually give a shit about how much you can lift, a belt is going to help your squat and deadlift tremendously. It doesn't matter how strong your core is, it'll never be as strong as you back and legs. I'm actually against knee and elbow sleeves, unless they're for joint health. The ones that help you lift more only make sense for competitions or for leading up to a competition. At all other times your legs and arms should do the work. Lifting shoes are necessary if you wanna do oly lifts, because you most probably didn't start doing ankle flexibility exercises in your early teens and even if you did, they give you more ankle mobility which in turn lets you squat lower in the front rack position, which helps you catch a heavier weight, because you don't need to pull it as high.

But yeah, nothing but your body and discipline is necessary.
>>
>>40510790
Fuck off shill. Show me a study that proves tsunami barbells are less strenuous on the joints.
>>
>>40511121

Leucine is the most important amino acid and is the one most responsible for signalling muscle protein synthesis. That's why BCAAs are leucine and valine/isoleucine which are required for it's absorption.

I'd need to drink almost a litre of milk to get the same amount of leucine as a 5g scoop of BCAAs, and 2.5g is roughly the amount of leucine required to maximize MPS. I hate training with anything substantial in my stomach, so I take BCAAs preworkout. I also take them post workout since they're preferentially metabolized by skeletal muscle and not the liver.

It's not THAT important, but there's data suggesting it helps and it makes it easier to hit my protein for the day. I agree that glutamine is a complete scam though, it has no data supporting it's claims outside of studies done intravenously on burn victims.
>>
The only thing i use of that list is a gallon jug because my workouts last so long and i sweat like a fat pajeet on creatine in a oven
>>
>>40510960
Look no further >>40510893
>>
>>40510960
I have pretty sweaty hands so unless I use chalk or wrap my thumbs and middle fingers in sports tape very tightly to get some friction, I can't do hook grip.

Start off with a weight you can double overhand for reps. If necessary deload your deadlift and start to try working up your way to your previous max. Your thumbs will hurt the first time and I experienced a tingling feeling for like 3 days after the first time I did it. Eventually you won't feel it anymore. Kind of like how your shoulders or traps stop hurting when you do squats.
>>
>>40511208
I think if a lifter should buy one piece of specialized lifting gear, it's weightlifting shoes.

Never go cheap on things that are between you and the ground.

If you go hiking regularly, you buy high quality hiking shoes. If you dance, you buy high quality dancing shoes. If you play football/soccer, you buy high quality football shoes.
Why shouldn't you buy high quality lifting shoes if you lift multiple hours per week?

>>40511230
wew. my workouts take 1.5-2 hours and I barely empty my 700ml bottle
>>
>>40511204
>It's basically the same bottom line as for all supplements.
Nope, creatine does work and is cheap. Plus it would be really hard to get the same amount your usually supplement from your food.
Whey is very convenient, hell it's more food than supplement.
Fish oil is great if you're on a cut or eat a shit diet.
D3 and Zinc help and aren't that expensive.
I wouldn't call any of those scams. Shit like BCAAs (unless you have a severe GI condition,) Chromium (unless you have a totally retarded diet) etc. are however.

>>40511220
>I'd need to drink almost a litre of milk to get the same amount of leucine as a 5g scoop of BCAAs, and 2.5g is roughly the amount of leucine required to maximize MPS.
If you eat animal products, leucine will never be a problem.

The whole signaling deal is very transitory, it can be compared to the effects of spacing out your protein intake more: at first it seems like there is a positive effect - but any long term study shows no difference in LM gains. It's like giving someone a deep fried mars bar and measuring their triglycerides and then concluding that a single mar bar will cause heart failure. The analogy isn't perfect, but you get what I mean.

>It's not THAT important
It's so unimportant that any effect is barely measurable in any practical sense. There are a million other things you can spend 50$ on that will have more of an effect on your gains: using it improve your diet, buying yourself an air moisturizer for better quality sleep, switching to a better gym, buying someone a present for those sweet cortisol killing gains.
>>
>>40511075
>i have crohns
My brother has this too and he wants to get into lifting because it supposedly helps with the disease and feeling more energetic but there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet. Can you really not lift as heavy or as often heavy as others because of joint issues? How does your training look? Did you do SS or another low volume LP program when you started?
>>
>>40510682
>Do people think I am autistic for being a 16.9oz water bottle
No but your're autistic for not using metric.
Its like you dont even want to make it.
>>
File: 1482649824941.gif (3MB, 390x215px) Image search: [Google]
1482649824941.gif
3MB, 390x215px
>>40511279
...because lifting bare foot or hard flat soled shoes are 10x better and not a crutch for unathletic powerfatties with tiny calves despite being fat shits you fucking cucky fucking marry had a little lamb fucking ferris wheel faggot?
>>
>>40511335
t. 1pl8 half-squatter
>>
>>40511301

Animal products are rich in leucine, yes, but I don't want to eat the 40g of protein required to hit 2.5-3.5g of leucine before I workout, I train better on an empty stomach.

>but any long term study shows no difference in LM gains.

That's because those studies have not been done. You could say this about any supplement though. There's not even something like that for whey. Studies like that would be incredibly useful, but they're notoriously difficult to do. You need a big sample size over a long period that all eat extremely similarly & consistently and train similarly & consistently. Creatine, whey (although it really is just dried food), BCAAs all have studies and theoretical pathways that indicate benefits, but none have actual concrete long term randomized control studies. It doesn't mean they don't work.

>>40511301

>$50

Yeah if you spend that much on BCAAs you're making a bad decision.

I get the feeling that we have had this same conversation before on /fit/.
>>
why do beginners waste so much money on supplements? are you retarded? you don't need anything. eat enough and sleep.

i always laugh when i see dyel kids enter the gym with their shakes filled with fluorescent liquid of god knows what and then see them struggle on 1pl8 bench and squat.
>>
>>40511407
I just bought creatine, fish oil, ZMA, whey and vitamin d3 when I started lifting.
>>
>>40511357
my thighs go vertical you fucking nigger
>hey guys I look like tron, am I lifting yet?
>>
>>40511376
>>40511301

Also BCAAs aren't actually that expensive. At the moment I pay about 50p per 100g of chicken breast, which is cheap for chicken breast. That's 50p for 23g of protein. The last batch of BCAAs I got was £20 for 1kg, which is 1000g of pure protein.

1000g of protein from chicken costs £21.75
1000g of protein from BCAAs cost me £20

So in terms of getting pre and post workout leucine, BCAAs are cheaper, easier and still leave me with an empty stomach for training compared to chicken breast.
>>
>>40511420
Why are you so angry anon? Is this the infamous "roid rage"?
>>
>>40511376
>Creatine, whey (although it really is just dried food), BCAAs all have studies and theoretical pathways that indicate benefits, but none have actual concrete long term randomized control studies. It doesn't mean they don't work.

>Creatine
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3407788/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12701815
+hundreds more.

>Whey
Doesn't need any, as you and I agree: it's simply dried food rich in protein. There are plenty of studies showing that protein is kinda important for muscle gains (and not dying.) You don't need whey - it's just a convenient choice, especially on a cut.

>Animal products are rich in leucine, yes, but I don't want to eat the 40g of protein required to hit 2.5-3.5g of leucine before I workout
Well, this seems to be our point of contention: you seem to claim that you need those 2.5g of leucine before you work out, I claim that all that matters is getting them throughout the day - as long as you aren't COMPLETELY deprived of it during or immediately after your work-out.

> I train better on an empty stomach.
In that case you probably see some benefit from BCAA use, also the anabolic window thing is not a meme then. All I'm saying is that for the majority of people, eating a decent meal a bit before training is a cheaper and just as effective choice as relying on BCAAs and/or having to worry about the anabolic window.

>I get the feeling that we have had this same conversation before on /fit/.
Maybe, life is one giant collection of reoccurrences and a small heap of unique experiences. This applies a hundred-fold for /fit./
>>
>>40511458
>1000g of protein from chicken costs £21.75
>1000g of protein from BCAAs cost me £20
Lol.

For me it's :
>12.5e from chicken breasts.
>60.5e from BCAAs.
>>
>>40511487
Rather be mad than have crippling buyer's remorse from fucking platform shoes
>>
File: 20170226_044446.jpg (1MB, 1466x1595px) Image search: [Google]
20170226_044446.jpg
1MB, 1466x1595px
>>40511244
Stahp lookin, that ain't me the OP boii
>>
>>40511541
Pajeet confirmed
>>
>>40511319
Ive always lifted and when i got hit with it i went down from lean 90kg to 68kg. When im well i lift as normal but you have to get used to the fact that every so often the disease will rise and unless you act quickly you will shed weight. I doubt ill ever be 90kg again.

Joint pains are a nightmare and i dont lift whilst i have them but i only have them when the disease is active, though thats different for some.

Lifting is meant to be good for bone density though and a lot of crohns treatments wreck your bones in the long term so its good for that.

If i were totally honest though i say take up a fitness, cardio or skill orientated sport instead of lifting if you have crohns.
>>
>>40511319
Oh and my training has always been pretty intense, 6 days a week, with HIIT, climbing, strength and hypertrophy training. Currently im doing a month of volumetric training. So realistically it doesnt limit me at all when its settled down and mine isnt mild crohns either.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.