[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ATG squats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault (1).jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
29KB, 480x360px
should I start doing ATG squats? I started lifting 6 months ago, during the first 4 months I was doing a nonsense program, last 2 months I have been doing SS.

When I started SS I realized the squats I was doing during the first 4 months were basically quarter squats. With SS, I decided to go below parallel, so I had to deload around 20-25 KG to start doing that.

2 months into SS, I was doing 92.5 KG yesterday, and in my second set, I went a little bit below than usual and failed my rep. Third set was super difficult to do (In fact I couldn't do it at all, I had to remove like 20 kg to finish it).

I mean what the fuck, if I go a little bit lower than usual, I fail the weight. This has made me realize that I should just deload 20-25 KG again and start doing ass to grass squats. Go as low as possible, and fuck everything else.

Would this be a good idea?
>>
>>40456376

I would say yes.
in my opinion, training a partial ROM (even if it is parallel or a little below) is a big reason in why people get injured doing heavy squats. Because if you train to parallel, and go for a new PR but accidentally drop a little deeper than you're used to, shit can go bad.

You will see a lot more powerlifters with blown out knees than olympic lifters and personally I think that having a strong full ROM squat is the reason.
>>
>>40456376
yes because when you're squatting several pl8s ATG you're gonna look alpha af
>>
File: even-possible.jpg (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
even-possible.jpg
4KB, 200x200px
>>40456506
>several pl8s ATG

>mfw
>>
>>40456580
He does 5x5, with a pause at the bottom. So yes
>>
Squats are valuable at parallel and below parallel and ATG, for different reasons and in different amounts.
Above parallel squats are absolutely useless for anything but your ego.
I would say ATG squats are better depending on your goals, but they're not inherently or unequivocally better. For bodybuilding, parallel or just below parallel squats are typically better, because they increase time under tension with no "break".
For powerlifting training, ATG isn't bad because it gives you a break, and it also helps with mobility. It doesn't give you the most limited legal ROM though, which, whether they admit it or not, is a big part of powerlifting.
Because ATG allows you a break, improves mobility and gives you the best chance to "reset" in order to perform your most explosive movement, it can be ideal for Olympic lifting training, and it has its place in real athletics training as well.
As usual, with these types of questions, the answer really depending on your goals.
>>
>>40456664
well said bro, thanks for your input
>>
If you want a knee injury ATG squats are the way to go for sure
>>
You should go to IPF three white light depth and no deeper
>>
>>40456376
Reminder that if you're doing highbar ATG squats you're not actually doing SS but some sort of abstraction of it that you yourself created for some reason or other

don't blame SS if you happen to get stuck or don't get the results you expect
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.