[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of smith machines?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Smith-Machine-Header.jpg (72KB, 600x663px) Image search: [Google]
Smith-Machine-Header.jpg
72KB, 600x663px
>be new to lifting
>go to the gym first thing in the morning due to college and work schedule
>it's always empty
>no spotter
>today was different
>go lift at 2ish
>arms almost give out in bench press
>old gent who was resting noticed and helped before i dropped it on myself
I'm really nervous about this happening again when i'm alone. Most of my routine gives me more control if I have failure like this, but the presses don't. My gym has a smith machine, but i don't know if it would affect my workout negatively.
>>
nice meme
>>
>>40429124
It's a nice machine big enough to hang all the towels
>>
Get big or die trying, never use the smith machine since it taks out the most important thing when lifting, the fear of dying
>>
>>40429137
I'm not meming anon, i really a newfag
>>
>>40429161
>>40429142
thanks senpaitachi.
>>
>>40429169
On a serious note, SM might be ok for other exercise but not bench since the bar not supposed to move in a str8 line.
>>
>>40429124
You just have to be careful man. you can't just go for gold on that last rep every time without a spotter
>>
>>40429124

Using the Smith Machine would change the range of movement for your bench presses. You'll find it difficult, and the progress you make on the smith machine won't translate 100% to straight-up flat bench.

My recommendation would be to keep up with your bench, but work to failure when there are people around you. It's less of an issue to ask for a spotter than to ask for someone to lift the bar off you when your arms give out.

Safety first.
>>
>>40429124
>What do you think of smith machines?

Not a replacement for some movements but pro bodybuilders and strongmen use the smith machine for some assistance exercises. Regarding bench safety, practice doing the roll of shame now. Don't go to failure go to where all you can do is safely lower the bar and roll it off rather than risk bringing it up to the pins
>>
>>40430177
>practice doing the roll of shame now
Seriously this. Roll of shame is one of the best things you can learn to do.

You never know when you will be fucked at the gym. You should always know how to safely fail an exercise. The better you get at it the less you'll injure yourself.

Especially with bench, you need to know how to throw the weight out to your pelvis and let it descend on your thighs. Also, take your phone out of your pocket when doing bench for this very reason.
>>
>>40430221
The first few times you fail you may injure yourself. If you can practice with just the bar. A few times I have skipped the bar along my stomach and it fucking hurts, but the better you get at it the easier it is to do
>>
File: 1487332711009.jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487332711009.jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
>>40429124
A smith machine is like riding a bicycle with training wheels
>>
>>40429124
Good for calf raises but that's about it
>>
File: ivan.png (850KB, 666x663px) Image search: [Google]
ivan.png
850KB, 666x663px
Don't be bitch. Some of my best bench days had no spotter. It's fun to stall out and just keep pushing. Unlocks your inner beast and you push that weight up like it's nothing.
Kinda like pic related
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.