[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /fit/? Is lifting heavy a meme if your goal is aesthetics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1173.jpg (93KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1173.jpg
93KB, 640x640px
Well /fit/? Is lifting heavy a meme if your goal is aesthetics?
>>
>>40416385
Lifting heavy weight is a meme if your goal is strength tbqh
>>
>>40416385
Can confirm I do pushups with 60 second negatives and I look like Coleman
>>
You're supposed to be lifting w/ strict form asap.
>>
As a natty, no.
>>
Yeah that's works just fine when you're on steroids

Go curl 20lbs with "strict" form for 3 months let me know how huge you get
>>
File: IMG_1103.gif (7KB, 240x286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1103.gif
7KB, 240x286px
>>40416508
>curls are the only exercise you need to do for aesthetics
>>
File: 1450572122938.jpg (4MB, 9000x9000px) Image search: [Google]
1450572122938.jpg
4MB, 9000x9000px
>>40416385
Don't know, but I'll tell you where the real meme is.

DYELs taking that comment as justification for benching 1/2 plate and never improving. Oh dude I just lift for aesthetics so I'll OHP the bar it's OK.

Fact is that despite the philosophy of bodybuilders to use lighter weight and higher reps, THEY'RE STILL MOVING SIGNIFICANTLY MORE WEIGHT THAN YOU ARE RIGHT NOW.

Don't even think about "bodybuilding" if you're not at least 1/2/3/4 for worksets.
>>
>>40416528
Thats not at all what he said

>>40416508
This

>>40416385
This bro science non sense only works when youre on gear.
>>
>>40416385

Heavy is relative.

He's right that you don't need to chase numbers for the sake of numbers, but people fuck up and assume this means you don't need progressive overload. You do.
>>
>>40416385
I really don't know where all these quotes came from... the guy lifted really fucking heavy.. he even competed in squat competitions. he went very very heavy...
>>
>>40416385
I was just watching this video by arnold about shocking the muscle, is that broscience?
>>
>>40416385
Says the guy on roids. Best way for a natty to gain is progressive overload.

All this "pump" shit only works for roiders
>>
File: junk volume.png (66KB, 512x725px) Image search: [Google]
junk volume.png
66KB, 512x725px
>>40416508
you can also add weight in higher rep ranges, anon

>>40416385
you need two things for hypertrophy
1. mechanical tension
2. progressive overload

so you need to have sufficient weight on the bar/DB/machine to actually make the training do anything at all - this seems to be like 60%+ of 1rm for a good training effect

as for progressive overload, this can mean adding weight to the bar, adding sets and volume to your routine, increasing training density (less rest), there are a number of ways to progressively overload

for hypertrophy, volume seems to be the most important factor, and the best way to accumulate loads of volume and survive is to work in lower percentages of your 1rm, 65-75% or so

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/

so is lifting heavy a meme? depends what you mean by heavy

65-75% for a good number of sets is what you aim for if you want hypertrophy, with some occasional heavier work and even more occasional lighter work (something about metabolite accumulation, might be a meme but at worst it will just give your joints a break for a little)
>>
>>40417278
>>40416385
to this end, all that bodybuilder mind-muscle and slow negative shit and all their other various little tricks are just ways to induce a little more mechanical tension, or a little more metabolite accumulation, or a novel stimulus of some kind

Zane is right in saying your muscle can't tell what weight is on the bar, it can only feel tension caused by that weight, and you can cause tension in more than one way

training that way probably only makes sense when you have years of experience and can accurately gauge what works and what doesn't, and what little form tweaks result in a better pump or whatever other metric bbers use

for the rest of us we'd be better off just tracking the weight on the bar
>>
That pump/tension shit only works for people on juice. Natties with the same approach usually look like DYELs and barely make any gains. Get your form right and then weight is KING.
>>
File: Muscle-Shirt-Gym-Nipple.jpg (62KB, 575x344px) Image search: [Google]
Muscle-Shirt-Gym-Nipple.jpg
62KB, 575x344px
Well, usually when lifting heavy your form goes to shit, so after a while you have to scale back your weight to make gains

I know a guy who uses a shit load of weight with really bad form and ROM and he is the most dyel looking guy, i feel bad for him since he uses extremely douchebag gym attire and has gyno and is skinnyfat dyel

He does 20kg weighted pull ups and 30kg weighted dips with the most shitty form you can even imagine
>>
>>40417278
>>40417365
This guy gets it. Lifting in the high intensity bracket when you are doing volume is the best way to get injured. That said, the weight on the bar should increase as time goes on to accomodate you getting stronger and better at volume training.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.