[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sumo Deadlift:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: sumo.jpg (14KB, 404x250px) Image search: [Google]
sumo.jpg
14KB, 404x250px
What does /fit/ think about them? Greyskull LP guy seems to think they're as good, if not better than regular DLs.
>>
want to get good at them cos they build your quads more. I prefer/feel stronger in the conventional though
>>
>>40412567
eh. i can lift more in sumo and they feel more natural imo. to each his own I guess. what would be the downside of doing sumo instead of regular?
>>
>>40412534
why would they be?
it's the same motion, except you reduce the range of motion and take your legs completely out of the equation, thus reducing the effectiveness of the lift for strength development and the amount of muscle mass stressed
>>
>>40412534
They're more quad dominant than traditional deadlifts.

I used to do sumo deads after squats for that reason, but after a while I started getting outside hip issues from them and I gave up on the lift.
>>
>>40413621
"take the legs completely out of the equation"

you are a complete and total retard, never post on /fit/ again

>>40413699
might have needed some more hip adduction stretches

>>40412534
they might be better for your leverages

i'm tall and long so i do conventional, but i do sumo on my second deadlift day as an alternate movement (greg nuckols 2x int deadlift program)
>>
>>40413621
Never talk about lifting again.
>>
>>40413621
How do you lift the weight then?

How in your mind does the weight go up in the air if you take your legs out of the equation?

Are sumo deads just super shrugs?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
187KB, 1920x1080px
Sumo works less muscle for smaller range of motion. It's only there to ego lift since 90% of people can sumo more than they can conventional deadlift.
>>
>>40414200
are you retarded or just stupid?
>>
>>40413621
you are a new lifter trying to fit in. Cease
>>
>>40412534
is that guy snatching all his fat? what a beast!
>>
>>40412534
sumo deadlifts are for people who can't learn how to do clean deadlift properly and need to lift to showoff instead of actually building muscles.
>>
they're harder to do properly so people who can't come crying on /fit/ about how they don't count
>>
>>40414718
I think you mean the opposite. I find sumo deadlifts lot easier to do than clean deadlift.

The main problem with clean deadlift form is that you need to keep your back straight but if your hip flexors is not flexible enough, then it will cause your back to curve and that will cause some strain on the back. Doing sumo stance does not rely on hip flexors therefore it's easier to make your back more straight.

Also, sumo deadlifts puts more work on leg because your upper body are closer to the bar therefore you don't have to lean as much as clean deadlift. In sumo deadlift, you just let your leg to do more work to get the bar off the floor then your back does some work to be "upright".
>>
>>40414771
>The main problem with clean deadlift form is that you need to keep your back straight but if your hip flexors is not flexible enough, then it will cause your back to curve and that will cause some strain on the back. Doing sumo stance does not rely on hip flexors therefore it's easier to make your back more straight.
er no, sumo requires significantly better mobility

Sumo requires timing that is non existent in the conventional. Most people will not be able to sumo their conventional max within a month

What's a clean deadlift? Are you talking about clean pulls?
>>
>>40414533
what the fuck is a clean deadlift?
>>40414771
again - what the fuck is a clean deadlift?

it's conventional
>>
>>40414771
I am flexible enough for conventional but not sumo. A lot of hip and adductor mobility is required for the hips and knees to be in a good position
>>
>>40414798
See this time we were lucky because he used weird terminology that made it obvious he didn't know what he's talking about, but imagine if he hadn't: he'd be indistinguishable from those who do and newfriends would listen to him.
>>
>>40414789
I disagree but I respect your opinion. I don't do sumo DLs that much when compared to clean deadlifts, I don't have any mobility problems with sumo deadlift compared to clean deadlifts, maybe that's why I think it doesn't require as much mobility as clean deadlift.

>>40414789
>>40414798
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/clean-deadlift

clean deadlift = conventional deadlift, the one that people do in olympics and powerlifting competitions
>>
>>40414856
Well unfortunately your opinion doesn't counter the fact that sumo requires better mobility. Post a video of yourself doing sumo, I bet you have minimal external rotation and incorrect timing.

Weightlifters do not compete in the deadlift.
>>
File: 1483655535626.png (683KB, 696x699px)
1483655535626.png
683KB, 696x699px
>>40414856
a clean deadlift is not the same as a conventional deadlift, you clueless idiot

also nobody calls it a clean deadlift, it's a clean pull

stop giving advice if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about

>>40414845
someone will still listen to this stupid fuck in another thread probably

/fit/ - blind leading the blind, Dunning Kruger effect, it piss
>>
>>40414945
What's the difference? Please state it.

And what advice? I am simply stating my opinion on sumo deadlifts. I didn't give out any advice nor I did encourage anybody to follow my advice, you retard.
>>
File: 1487270057680.jpg (2MB, 1440x1912px)
1487270057680.jpg
2MB, 1440x1912px
>>40415001
i told you to stop posting

no more warnings
>>
File: 1483927567521.jpg (387KB, 599x600px)
1483927567521.jpg
387KB, 599x600px
>>40415021
you're not my father, you can't tell me what to do.

I can post whatever I want, fuck you nigger
>>
>>40412534

Depending on your proportions you could be able to do both near equally, one stronger than the other, or one almost not at all.

Add previous injury to the equation and you've got something that isn't so cut & dry.

For example, I'm taller but have near even proportions so I used to be able to hit both conventional & sumo. Sumo was slightly stronger, but not by the amount usually tossed around. Then i was involved in a couple o f minor car accidents that led to a disc injury. I healed up, and after I got back to it, I couldn't hit a conventional DL worth a damn. The more I pulled sumo, the less the residual pain & irritation became. I can pull some conventional now, but its in the 50-60% range of my sumo. Funny bit is I can still hit a near plates to the floor RDL in a conventional stance

Also, sumo & trap bar DL tend to be easier for those with previous low back or hamstring injuries.
>>
>>40412534
I do a very narrow sumo because my posterior chain and hips are too tight for conventional. Working on mobility until I can get into a good position for conventional.
>>
>>40415330
Forgot to add my opinion. Conventional if you can safely, sumo if not.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.