[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fatty here, never been to the gym or really worked out a day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: me.png (291KB, 186x617px)
me.png
291KB, 186x617px
fatty here, never been to the gym or really worked out a day in my life and I'm gonna start on monday and I have some questions about fitness in general and just gym etiquette and what to expect kind of stuff. I read through the sticky and I got a lot of out of it but I'm still in the dark on some stuff. So what percentage of people at the Gym are alone vs with others. I plan to go alone, is this weird? Like are people expected to have a spotter when benching? Sticky says not to be afraid of free weights but for this reason and not knowing what I can lift the first couple times I go I kinda am. I get that machines aren't as good but is it ok to use them the first couple times till I get a feel of what I can/cannot do or is it better to just go straight to weights and just start super low. Also how packed are gyms usually/what is a good time to go. Earliest I can go on weekdays is around 3pm, do a lot of people go right after classes around that time, I really don't want to be competing for space. Also when do I work cardio in? All of the lifting programs have alternating days of lifting/rest days, am I supposed to be doing cardio on rest days or what? How long should I expect to be there for, I'm thinking around an hour but I have no idea. Also I'm thinking of going to a gym maybe a little bit away rather than the closest one because I'm a little autistic fuck and I don't want to see/talk to people I know, am I overreacting or is this some what normal? I have some other questions but I don't even know if /fit/ is the type of board to help the fatties out or just showing off gains

>pic related, it's me
>>
>>40411015
Hey, bud.
First of all, I was somewhat in your situation a couple months ago, at least in terms of being intimidated by free weights. Now I'm absolutely hooked. Good for you picking up working out.
To answer some of your questions:

It's not weird in the least to go to the gym alone. Most people do.

It's completely fine to ask a stranger to spot you. Just do it when they're not in the middle of something. ie, do it while they're resting or have just finished a particular exercise.

You shouldn't need to ask for a spot for a while yet. Rather than using machines or starting with heavier weight than you're sure you can do, literally begin with the bar for everything. Follow Starting Strength routine and build up gradually. You will know when you're going to need a spot.

I want to post this before you go away since this is already on page 4. I'll post more presently.
>>
>>40411015
yeah just do everything with 20 kg as a warm up and add 2,5 kg till somewhere you feel comfortable. Don't overdo it the first time!
>>
thanks, and in terms of diet, the sticky has a section "To gain muscle... x calories" and "To lose fat... x calories" and explains how gaining muscle will gain some fat and losing fat with lose some muscle, I obviously want to both lose fat and gain muscle so which should I worry about first. Lose fat and build back up or gain muscle and then burn the fat.
>>
>>40411015
>>40411243
cont.
Sticky is right: Don't be afraid of free weights.
As soon as you get the muscle memory and routine down, you'll be comfortable. It is intimidating at first, but that's sincerely all in your head.

Nobody cares what you're doing. You'll look like a fool trying to lift too heavy with bad form. But you'll look like a totally respectable beginner if you start with classic compound lifts (SS routine is NOT a meme; it's great), gradually work up in weight, and keep coming back. Stick to the routine. It's so simple and manageable.

It should take you 40 min to an hour to begin with. If you're doing the added core work (hyperextensions, decline situps) and the pullups and dips that are mentioned in one of the SS versions in the sticky, you'll be there for about this long.

Once you start lifting a bit heavier, like, you're actually having to push yourself somewhat, DO WARM UP SETS. Just 1x5 of light weight to get your muscles primed for that particular motion. These aren't motions you make in everyday life, so your body isn't ready to just jump right in.

Practice form in the mirror at home. Practice form all the time at first. Like I stated above, these aren't natural motions. You have to train yourself to be comfortable with them. By starting with the bar and working up really gradually, you'll be training for the motions as well.

I go to the gym around 7-7:30 am usually. I started this because I wanted it to be empty as well. It's most crowded in the evening. 3pm should be less crowded than like 6 or 7pm, but if you can manage some early mornings for the first couple weeks, you'll have the luxury of getting used to your routine and gaining confidence in the gym while it's least busy. After that, it won't matter when you go, since you'll know what you're doing.
>>
>>40411015
>>40411347
cont.
Final thing, unless you have more questions.
You probably won't run into that many people you know unless it's like a university gym. regardless, I'd say just join the close one. It will be easier to get yourself there in the future because it's close. If you see someone you know, smile, nod, and keep doing your thing. You're respectable for working out. You're not obligated to have a conversation. Just politely acknowledge, and keep doing what you came to do. If you're wearing headphones, this aloofness is even easier, but people don't go to the gym to socialize, so don't worry about it.

Once you're a couple weeks into your routine, this won't matter anymore. You'll be more comfortable and at home. So don't make your long term routine more of a hassle (far away gym) just to ease the first week or two of getting used to your gym and routine. Just go first thing in the morning instead.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.