[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the GOAT routine and why is it 5/3/1?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 531-cover.jpg 500.jpg (56KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
531-cover.jpg 500.jpg
56KB, 389x500px
What is the GOAT routine and why is it 5/3/1?
>>
>it's another anon just started a new routine and wants to assure himself he isn't wasting his time by playing the mental gymnastics game of getting others to agree with him on the 4chan
>>
>whoa that first set sure was hard :/
> what??! I need to add weight???
>two times???!!

Biggest downfall, its not a fun program mentally

>but im so badass i dont care

That means you are not strong enough to have a need to give mentality a serious thought when programming for strenght

But its the best program to get a little stronger from average bro strenght
>>
>>40385589

This is true.
The modest weights the calculators start you on will lead you to think you can make strength gains without the required mental fortitude.

The truth is, you aren't getting stronger (past low intermediate levels anyway) without really pushing yourself.

If you're capable of this then 5/3/1 is good. The room for assistance is great for working on bodybuilding and weaknesses.
>>
I'm 531 with a 1350 total at 210, been having great linear progress for like a year now. I like it because it's simple and easy honestly, and leaves plenty of room for accessories.
>>
>>40385589

In which damn world is the first set on 5/3/1 that damn hard?
>>
>>40385546
5/3/1 gets boring very quickly. I prefer something with more athleticism and variety. It does work though, can't deny that.
>>
>>40386032

There's a fair amount of athletic work in the program. It's just under the sections no-one actually does.
>>
isn't 531 for people who bulk? what's a good program if you cut?
>>
>>40386048

5/3/1 is neither particularly high volume nor particularly high intensity. If you can't handle it on a cut there's something wrong.
>>
>>40386040
which one? 5/3/1 is a type of program, not a single defined one
>>
>>40386061

The assistance templates differ. The base program generally doesn't (barring whether to use jokers/fsl or not) - and that's where the conditioning and jump work is.

Everyone just ignores it.
>>
why does plg prefer tm over it?
>>
>>40386124

/PLG/ has an unfortunate fixation with short-term 1RM PRs that tends to eclipse longer term thinking.

Also TM is fairly specific to powerlifting while 5/3/1 was written by a guy who'd just gotten out of powerlifting and wanted to focus on overall strength.
>>
>>40386143
wouldn't tm be better for someone who turned intermediate because it has weekly progression compared to 531 which has a monthly one?
>>
>>40386154

Not really. 5/3/1 pushes up your training max monthly, but because each week is an AMRAP you're always going to be working at a near-max effort. If your training max is going up slower than your strength that just means you start getting more reps over time. You'd need to seriously outpace the monthly progression to get to the point where the main sets aren't heavy enough to make you stronger.

There's also kind of a divide between what will get you the biggest numbers in a week or a month or three months compared to what will get you the biggest numbers longterm. TM is good for the former, it can sometimes have issues with the latter.
>>
>>40386175
just asking because i just finished ss and i'm currently in my deload week and still have no idea about which program to take up next. i also need to cut around 10-15 lbs.

was looking at 531BBB but it said you need to bulk on it so i dismissed it. which one would you prefer for someone in my position?
>>
>>40386202

Depends what you're trying to do.

Personally I'd suggest that 5/3/1 is probably better than TM in this situation (it's going to be rough dealing with TMs expected rate of progression coming off SS while also trying to lose weight). Pick an assistance setup that suits you and go for it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain the "you must gain weight to do this" is about a specific version of BBB (from t-nation, right?) rather than the program as a whole - and that one is pretty damn aggressive. Someone less strong might be able to do it on a cut but I wouldn't want to try it myself.
>>
>>40386215
where can i see the normal 531 template with assistance exercises or is this https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength it?
>>
>>40386258

Get the book. If you're not keen on paying it isn't hard to find as a pdf.
>>
>>40385546
i just really like 5/3/1 Boring But Big. I love focussing on one movement per day and doing a shit ton of volume. It also works.
>>
>>40385546
arnold did 30/12/10/8/6, why are you short changing yourself?
>>
>>40386053
what about Boring But Big? I've just started a cut and I want to keep doing it cos i love the volume. Should i drop it to normal 5/3/1?
>>
>>40386301

BBB (which is kind of the default assistance template - and its usually a bad idea to run 5/3/1 without some form of assistance) is still relatively low volume. No reason to pull back unless its killing you.
>>
>>40386124
Because 1) 5/3/1 is shit for powerlifting purposes and 2) different target groups(the pace of TM is better for most of the new guys in /plg/ than a slow program like 5/3/1).
>>
>>40386299
arnold injectef chinese bathtub chemicals in his ass. why don't you?
>>
>>40386270
i've read it and the amount of reps you do per exercise in a week seems really low. i mean on week 1 you only do 15 + amrap reps with a single exercise. isn't that low?

isn't one major factor in strength motor unit recruitment? and that is achieved by training the exercise often to get more efficient at it. even in https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/training-videos/ there is mention of doing at least 40-70 reps per exercise in a week. 15 is a far cry from that. even if you did two exercises per day it would still be less than that.

i'm probably wrong but it doesn't seem very effective, at least for someone who just got out of novice range and can still probably progress on weekly to bi-weekly basis.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.