[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 31

File: download (1).jpg (5KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5KB, 300x168px
On StrongLifts is it okay if I do my pull ups when I get home from the gym? Gym has no dip belt and holding a dumbbell between my legs is just, well, not as great IMO. Gym to home is a 30+min journey.

Is this okay?
Pic semi-related. A Rollo OHP
>>
its fine yeah, routines are usually made in chunks like that because most people don't have the time to be training intermittently all day. obviously there are some exceptions, but for strength training and most mass training its if anything a good thing.

better solution - buy a dipping belt and take it to the gym.
>>
>>40377878
Thanks anon. You answered just in time. Nearly home. I would I just don't want it stolen or bullied from me.
>>
>>40377904
keep in your gym bag man. my gym bag contains

>dipping belt
>lifting belt for squats
>microplates
>giant bottle of milk
>straps

and apart from the milk everyone in the gym asks to borrow stuff and are usually super respectful about it.
>>
File: 1465573724057.jpg (45KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1465573724057.jpg
45KB, 640x640px
Is it possible to bulk without also gaining fat? How?
>>
File: IMAG1379.jpg (830KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1379.jpg
830KB, 1520x2688px
Gyno or nah? I'm 6ft, 160.
>>
>>40378086
bulk really slow
>>
>>40378093
you're just fat.
>>
Do I need any on-cycle or post-cycle support while doing a cycle of DNP?
>>
how much weight can I gain in 2 weeks realistically? I'm at my parents' and this home food is too good to resist, I'm trying my best but I feel like I gained 3 kilos in 4 days. Should I just do shitloads of cardio on rest days?
>>
>>40378093
you gotta move the phone out the way man
>>
>>40378086
yes. drugs.

>>40377858
It#s okay,
why not holding the dumbell between the ankles?

>>40378093
maybe a bit.

.>>40378133
maybe 6-7 kg, but it will reduce.
Try to use it for gains and throw in some high rep heavy stuff (squat, Deadlifts, Cleans+Jerk/Press)

Use this time of high kcal for buildng.
>>
>>40377858

My gym had free PT session today for Valentine's day and I talked about nutrition and said I've been trying Intermittent fasting for 2 weeks now.

He basically laughed at my face and told fasting and eating only 2-3 meals a day is the most retarded thing you can do. Apparently I need to eat every 3 hours during the entire day.

What gives? Afaik he has a good degree and pt certificate yet he is giving me this cookie cutter advice and denying IF?
>>
>broke ankle 10th of december last year
>it healed but it's mobility/strength is still hampered
any recommendations/tips on how to curate it effectively?
>>
>>40378227
most retarded thing to do
literally 500 lb people on youtube eating that way and losing weight doing the process

this is why PT will lose massive chunks of business to the internet once high speed wifi is available in most gyms. they live in the dinosaur age :)
>>
>>40378227
PT's are usually full bro-science mode and their certificates mean that they spent some cash on a weekend workshop. Eating 2-3 meals a day is perfectly normal.
>>
Does L-carnitine help weightloss only when drunk before exercise, or is there a benefit to drink it on rest days too?
>>
Fat girl losing weight here.

Can guys be attracted to formerly fat women? Would they be disgusted if they found out a qt was 40, 50kgs heavier in the past? Is that a dealbreaker?
>>
>>40378086
the human body is physically incapable of adding only muscle or only fat. your body never is in a position such that gaining exclusively one or the other is desirable. this of course doesn't include roiders.

however, by slow bulking, you can look leaner if you bulk slow and eat very clean by growing your muscles such that they poke through your fat more, but your overall body fat will actually be higher despite being leaner.
>>
File: QTbeef10.jpg (120KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
QTbeef10.jpg
120KB, 1080x1349px
>>40378289
literally all that matters is what you look like now.
>>
>>40378289
Why would it be? I mean if you'll have loose skin or big stretchmarks then some will care, but other than that I don't think so.
>>
>>40378289
lol no
Get into meditation. It will help with those kinds of anxious, worrying thoughts regarding yourself. Helps/helped me a lot (former fatty as well)
>>
>>40378289
no, unless there are unattractive things on your body from being a former fatty (such as loose skin and stretchmarks and shit, but desu i don't really care about that shit so long as you're chill and pretty).

my ex gf was a former fatty and if anything i liked it because i felt lucky that i landed her in her most attractive state.
>>
>>40378131
Just shoot yourself it is alot more efgicent then slowly cooking yourself
>>
>>40378311
I'm 5'11 148lbs skinnyfat and I know all of you will tell me to bulk but I just reaaaally don't wanna gain more fat. If I did go full bulk how heavy should I be before I start cutting?
>>
I got diagnosed with high blood pressure. Should I start a cardio regime to improve my general fitness and get my numbers down or should I continue lifting for gains? Am I more likely to blow a gasket and stroke out if I lift heavy with high BP?
>>
>>40378227
Right...
No, he's full of bullshit.

>>40378237
Limber 11 and some single limb strength work.

>>40378374
just up your protein intake around ecercise and it will help a lot.

170-180lbs

>>40378375
Lifting heavy can lower your blood pleausure in the long run.
Look at your eating and your stress.
>>
>>40378375
what does your diet consist of?
>>
>>40378395
>Limber 11
thanks
>>
>>40378374
What is full bulk? Go 200-300 calories over your maintenance as recommended bulk and stick with it for a while, as a skinnyfat you are at a worst point to start aut so you might as well gain some muscle (protein is improtant). You probably don't want to go full auschwitz mode with cutting.
>>
>>40378421
couldn't he lift and slight cut? ive seen posts before of people getting to ottermode from skinnyfat for a slight cut and a consistent routine for 6 months.

noob gains and that
>>
>>40378374
it depends bro. everyone stores fat differently and you being a skinny fuck might even find that fat gain is minimal.

look, no one ever said bulking needed to result in shit loads of fat gain. bulking sensibly and appropriately, you can look good year round. SS type bulking is retarded for people with your goals. if you want to actually get beyond 1/2/3/4 and look aesthetic, bulking is just going to have to become something to learn to live with (i've been on a 10 month slow bulk and am due to cut in 2 weeks, can't fucking wait to get it started).

the etxra strength and mass gained on bulks is just invaluable. if you want to see someone who bulks and cuts properly, check out justin lascek. he look good all the time and carries maybe a little more fat than i like to (he probably has to at his strength level), but he's very good at maintaining his look all year round despite the fact he's actually bulking and cutting all the time; you'd never even know he was without asking.

i'd say bulk on a 300 cal surplus (actual surplus not some estimated garbage from a TDEE calculator (though they are good for finding roughly what to eat but you gotta trial and error)) and if you can't recover properly or stall, eat a little more. when this becomes a problem again, eat more. when you feel like cutting, eat at a 500 cal deficit, keep intensity high and do cardio and in a month or two you'll be ready to start again with more mass and strength.
>>
>>40378374
>5'11 148 skinnyfat
>tfw im 6'1 175

so am i just fat then? how the fuck is sub 150 at nearly 6'0 skinnyfat?
>>
What is the best way to battle a bad focus?
Concentration is off most the time.
>>
>>40378227
congrats, tody you learned an important lesson: PTs are not experts in their field, they are glorified salesmen

that garbage advice is utter nonsense. the need for meticulousness of that degree is relevant only to people seeking sub 5% body fat and shit. if not, you will notice zero difference in your body.
>>
>>40378442
could be due to countless different factors. i for one have never had a problem focussing at the bottom of a heavy squat, its kind of hard to ignore.
>>
>>40378429
He probably could, but he would be eating at around 1500 calories while lifting heavy, that's psychologically draining and his strength progress would be highly disappointing. It's possible with strong determination, but he will look better with some muscle, because at this weight he isn't really carrying that much fat, it just looks bad because muscles are small.
>>
>>40378442

Exercises copy pasted from the book The Power of Concentration by Theron Q. Durmont

Exercise One:Sit in a comfortable chair and see how still you can keep. This is not as easy as it seems. You will have to center your attention on sitting still. Watch and see that you are not making any involuntary muscular movements. By a little practice you will find you are able to sit still without a movement of the muscles for fifteen minutes. At first I advise sitting in a relaxed position for five minutes. After you are able to keep perfectly still, increase the time to ten minutes and then to fifteen. This is as long as it is necessary. But never strain yourself to keep still. You must be relaxed completely. You will find this habit of relaxing is very good.
>>
>>40378442
You mean at the gym? Find something to concentrate on, it's not just thinking "now I'm squatting so I shouldn't be looking at that chick", you have to set some cues ("keeping abs flexed", "pushing feet through the floor"), these are easier to focus on. If you don't have to focus then the weight isn't too demanding, is it?
>>
>>40378507

>Exercise Two:
Sit in a chair with your head up and your chin out, shoulders back. Raise your right arm until it is on the level with your shoulder, pointing to your right. Look around, with head only, and fix your gaze on your fingers, and keep the arm perfectly still for one minute. Do the same exercise with left arm. When you are able to keep the arm perfectly steady, increase the time until you are ableto do this five minutes with each arm. Turn the palm of the hand downward when it is outstretched, as this is the easiest position. If you will keep your eyes fixed on the tips of the fingers you will be able to tell if you are keeping your arm perfectly still.
>>
>>40378522

>Exercise Three
Fill a small glass full of water, and grasp it by the fingers; put the arm directly in front of you. Now fix the eyes upon the glass and try to keep the arm so steady that no movement will be noticeable. Do this first for one moment and then increase it to five. Do the exercise with first one arm and then the other.

---
Won't post the rest of the exercises. Try these and if you think them beneficial, you can look up the book yourself that contains the rest of the exercises.
>>
>>40378562
>>40378522
this is obviously "self help" garbage
>>
>>40378584
Maybe, the exercises work though.
>>
>>40378440
I have like zero muscle bro
>>
>>40378562
thanks anon. sounds like a good read
>>
>>40378654
It is. Just take it with a grain of salt (it was written in another era and some thoughts within it are a bit outdated),
The exercises are however good.
>>
Okay, I deadlifted 220.5 1x5 about a week ago, it was hard but I managed it with alright form. Now I fail to lift the same weight for 1 rep for second workout, I just don't feel strength in my hands. I've managed it with hook grip for 1 rep today and felt like shit. Am I overloading hands prior to deads or what? Seem like I'm gonna reset the weight for now untill I can manage it again.
>>
Been working out for about six weeks now, cardio and lifts, also eating 1200 calories a day.

I weighed myself for the first time and I've gained weight, although I definitely appear to be less flabby.

Is this normal?
>>
>>40378400
protein, veg, carbs, vodka and stress
>>
>>40378696
what's your work?
>>
When should I try my 1rm and what is the point of maxing? I've been on 5x5 for about 4 months now
>>
>>40378784
Try your 1RM after you taper your volume

The point is to know how strong you are. This is useful if there is a certain weight that you know you need to be able to move, or if you are going to do a program that is based off of percentages of a 1rm. You can go your whole life without ever attempting a 1rm if you want.
>>
>>40378723
full time analyst
>>
I'm in the process of getting 100% into lifting (starting in june, as I'm doing boxing as of now). So I tried to make myself a workout program. The way I did it, I lift 4 days a week and do HIIT twice a week (so 6 days of workout) and each day I work a muscle group:

Chest/Triceps on monday, back (from lats to lower back) on tuesday, Legs on thursday and biceps/shoulders/traps on friday. Now my question is, is it better to do it that way or should I work some muscles group more than once a week ?
>>
Is it possible to contract aids or any other diseases from gym equipment?
I was deadlifting today and i scraped up my shin and it broke skin. I didn't see any blood on the barbell before I did it, but if there was could I have caught anything?
>>
>>40379171
MRSA
>>
Is ketosis legit? I want to cut down fast af.
>>
>>40379171
Ive seen grown men tell each other they have hiv and have sex in the sauna. I've seen grown men wipe their ass after shitting and go back and touch all the weights in the gym. Take the proper precautions please
>>
anyone ever found a new food, and recorded in in their journal using the wrong calculations, and then later recalculate it, and find out you were dramatically wrong in the calories?

I thought I was getting fat because I put in my trail mix wrong, but I just re-figured it, and I could've saved myself hundreds of calories in breathing room if I did it right the first time.
>>
Is it possible to go TOO far when cutting calories?

I have been lifting in a home gym for about a month now, and have been eating smaller portions as well as cutting out fast food and energy drinks. Today I am experimenting with eating a very small bean burrito (think 2.5 inches long, maybe an inch in diameter) during my morning break, and for dinner I will be having a turkey sandwich with yogurt.

I'm sure this is good for weight loss, but will this hurt my gains?
>>
>>40379454
Well, you can't have much gains while cutting, same as you can't gain muscles without getting fat.

More muscle mass = more weights (so more calories) = more fat.

Less fat = less calories = less muscles.

But then again, it's better to first cut when overweight and then try to get muscles if you're not satisfied by your physique/your lifts after you're done cutting.
>>
>>40379502
So basically my workout time right now is doing more for losing fat/weight right now than building muscle?

I'm okay with that, I'll start going for muscle mass once my weight is under control
>>
>>40377904
Bro... don't be a bitch. Just don't let people use your shit. No one has ever asked to use my belt and I would never comply. Lending a random some chalk is fine though.
>>
would I lose weight faster if I stopped doing all my lifts while cutting from being obese?

when should I start doing weights?
>>
>>40377858
I'm stalling on my squat at 65kg, and I think it's my hip mobility and overall flexibility. Anybody have any links to overall mobility and flexibility health aswell as hip mobility.
>>
Anyone know of a good appetite/hunger suppressant? I'm a fucking leaf if that matters
>>
>>40379693
Water and coffee.
>>
>>40379693
green tea
coconut oil
>>
>>40379693
Caffeine
>>
File: sauce for help.jpg (114KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sauce for help.jpg
114KB, 1080x1080px
I've been """ power lifting """ since I began because my friend memed me into it.

I've always had a good squat and dead lift.
But like all """ recreational power lifters' I've always had a small, weak chest.

I've never done bodybuilding before.

I've been doing 5x10 dumbbell bench like 3 or 4x a week in the hopes of growing my chest but its not really working so well.

How do I bodybuild?

How do I get a bigger chest?

I don't really know how to gain a lot of muscle, I only know how to get stronger.
>>
>>40378289
look into some oils to help with any stretch marks you may have (apparent to you or not) but for the most part it's seen as a good thing because its not like you just dropped some cash and became fit or that you're so weak willed you accepted being out of shape, you earned it and a lot of people will notice and respect you for it
>>
File: frame-photo.jpg (71KB, 480x288px) Image search: [Google]
frame-photo.jpg
71KB, 480x288px
Is it possible to build legs without making my hips wider?
>>
>>40379734
MUH

DIIIIIIICKKKKK
>>
>>40378276
There's no evidence that L-carnitine supplementation does jack shit to improve body composition. It's a waste of money.
>>
>>40379601
Exactly. Though you're still approaching it the right way. If you'd just cut, you'd loose fat and also some muscles, but by cutting AND working out, you will loose less muscles than without working out. Also, eating lots of proteins (I mean, still in the range of your cut and without doing something as crazy as eating 36 eggs a day) help to loose less muscles.

But you can't avoid loosing a little of muscle mass while cutting, only reduce it.
>>
>>40378374
You need to weigh at least 180 lbs. Gain 30 lbs over the course of the next year.
>>
>>40379734
To answer your question, do a hyperthropy routine, dummy. More volume, more isolations, more food. Lotsa sleep. Google chest exercises and do a bunch of them instead of just benching all the damned time, its not hard.

Now gib sauce, or I'll use my magic powers to curse you with eternal T-rex mode.
>>
>>40378429
He has nothing to cut to. He would cut, be a skellington, decide to bulk, gain a little bit of body fat, then sperg out and decide has "bulked too hard" and needs to cut once more while weighing 137 lbs at 5' 11". It's what all these autistic skinnyfats do. Perpetual "cut" and "bulk" cycles while making ZERO fucking progress.

Just slowly bulk up to your ideal muscular weight. At 5' 11", it's very reasonable for a natty to walk around 180 lbs fairly lean. Get up to that range while bulking slowly and not becoming a fat faggot. Then cut. There aren't supposed to be these endless fucking cut/bulk cycles.
>>
File: source for help.jpg (72KB, 683x760px) Image search: [Google]
source for help.jpg
72KB, 683x760px
>>40379785
Alright, what do you do for chest? Can you give me an example of what lifts you might do and rep schemes?
>>
>>40379454
i dont know anything about this

>>40379679
im not a doctor, and even if i was, only physiotherapist know

>>40379680
i dont have medical training

>>40379759
i am not sure, sorry

>>40379388
i have a brother that does ketosis
>>
What sort of routine can I make with push ups, dips and pull ups/chin ups? I was thinking 4xf push ups and pull ups/chin ups 4 days a week but I just remembered about dips. Any help plz lads, can't gym atm
>>
What's the average time to achieve a natty aesthetic? I know genetics plays a huge role, but I still want to know.
>>
>>40379893
doing push ups will make u stronger
>>
>>40379893
Also what's the most effective chin up/pull up varation? I've got one of those door frame bars
>>
>>40379902
Let's say one year to look like you lift, 2 years to look somewhat aesthetic, 4-6 years to max out realistic gains. About that time with good training and diet and not starting out from fatass mode. But as you said there are million factors so what are these estimations worth?
>>
>>40379910
my brother does a lot of pull ups

>>40379902
im not sure, i have not reached max and idk about my genetics
>>
>>40379992
shoo shoo neck beard go away and never come back again with ur unhelpful comments
>>
>>40379115
Okay nvm I checked on google and the first link says once a week is shit, in case anyone else wondered.
>>
Any beardgrowfags tried peppermint oil as an alternative to minoxidil? Thoughts?
>>
File: pullups chinups.jpg (225KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pullups chinups.jpg
225KB, 1200x1200px
>>40379910
most effective are standard chin up and standard pull up, then weighted versions

>>40378694
maybe your muscles store more glycogen and their tonus might have improved, don't worry about it now

but why 1200 calories? are you a small woman?
>>
File: 1472738778080.jpg (19KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472738778080.jpg
19KB, 640x360px
Does yohimbe actually help with cutting or is it just another meme. Do any weight loss supps/thermogenics actually do shit?
>>
>>40379115
1x a week training frequency is shit. Either upper/lower or full body if you want to lift 4 days a week.
>>
>>40380085
Yeah I checked on the net a minute ago and the first link said the same as you. Do you know any good upper/lower split for strength training ?
>>
>>40380083
i am not a doctor
>>
>>40380083
https://examine.com/supplements/Yohimbine/

that's a nice site based on actual studies, find out for yourself
>>
>>40380104
There are 5/3/1 beginner program programs out there which are essentially upper/lower. The "nsuns" program on le reddit has good reviews, and I think that one works for beginners.
>>
File: 1483896270231.jpg (169KB, 843x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1483896270231.jpg
169KB, 843x1088px
>>40379985
How much time do you think I need to achieve this? (I'm skinny as fuck btw). Also, these estimations will make me more motivated, thanks.
>>
I woke up with dull pain in my right hip and weakness weird sensation in the leg below my knee, calf and ankle. Am I dying?
>>
>>40380205
I would say about 2 years or so, depends heavily on your height/frame etc.. As a turbo manlet it might be 1 year, as 6'5 lanklet it would be fucking long if even ever achievable.
>>
>>40380205
Two years of nothing but eating protein and lifting/squating.
>>
>>40380163
Cool thanks, will look into that.
>>
Is there any major difference between dumbbell press and bench press?
>>
>>40380238
>>40380240
I promise I will achieve this and show it to you guys one day. Remember this, thanks.
>>
>>40380222
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aortoiliac_occlusive_disease

>>40380281
Not really. If you took two dudes, had one do barbell bench and the other do dumbbell bench for a year, at the end of it they would likely have very similar increases in strength and chest size.
>>
File: brad-pitt-fight-club.jpg (29KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
brad-pitt-fight-club.jpg
29KB, 400x287px
what bmi would you say fight club mode is?
>>
>>40380327
21-22. Internet says he was 155-160 lbs at 6' 0".
>>
>>40380281
im not sure
>>
>>40380288
2 years isn't a long time and there's still everything in between. You'll start bulking around month 3-4 and chicks will start paying more attention to you cause they're whores. Month 8 you'll see noticeable difference, and a 1.5 to 2 years you'll achieve your final form and ruin tight vag.
>>
Is it possible to do 5x5 or SS while cutting?
Fat beginner here
>>
When is it safe to stop my first cut? Used to be a skinnyfag and now some muscle seems to pop up, but I barely have any superficial vascularity showing. Is it even possible to get a visible sixpack without doing any ab exercises?
>>
>>40380384
It is, I did it, progression is just slower and at some point veeery slow.

>>40380391
I assume you're talking about abs isolations. It's possible if genetics allow it, but for nice defined abs it's recommended to do some additional ab work, certainly won't hurt.

You were skinnyfag and you cut? I don't get it, did you mean skinnyfat?
>>
>>40380377
why did you reply at all then?
>>
File: 1484863614102.jpg (79KB, 770x869px) Image search: [Google]
1484863614102.jpg
79KB, 770x869px
>>40380455
>You were skinnyfag and you cut? I don't get it, did you mean skinnyfat?
Yeah, I guess that was a really subconscious Freudian slip rofl

On a similar vein, are ab wheels worth the price? My gym doesn't carry them and they seem cheap enough for me to afford one.
>>
>>40380547
They're good. Only like 10 bucks.
>>
>>40380318
But my benis still gets big
>>
anyone ever get like a salty taste in your mouth before? I am currently cutting and it is really weird feeling.
>>
>>40380473
he asked a question.
>>
>>40380547
imo you can use barbells with plates just as you can use ab wheels. If not, buy them. It's worth it, feels like a baseball bat to the stomach.
>>
Now that we're getting answers, when do I stop cutting? Lost 10 lbs so far, at 166 lbs 6'0", should I keep going? Scale says I'd be at 154 for 15% BF, but I'm afraid of going full skelly. Do I start the slow bulk for some real muscles or keep cutting?
>>
File: crossfit.gif (1MB, 314x314px) Image search: [Google]
crossfit.gif
1MB, 314x314px
any comments about bulking and daily sugar intake?

How much sugar is too much sugar per day?

I drink a redbull everyday, would that hurt my goals? (trying to bulk the most lean possible)
>>
>>40377858
Can we stop viking posting for every QTDDTOT?
>>
>>40381060
Post a pic. At 6' and 166 lbs, it's probably time to stop cutting. Are you lifting weights?

>>40381063
Just drink 0 cal energy drinks. Or switch to black coffee for your caffeine fix.
>>
>>40381094
"no"
>>
how to get strong without getting too bulky? im a girl btw
>>
>>40381636
Lifting weights, low rep, heavy weight. (3x3, 5x2 etc.)

Aslo grip and core excercises.
>>
>>40377858
Then take your dip belt to the gym or what is your problem?
>>
>>40381636
>tehee hei guise I'm a girl btww ;))))
K Y S
Y
S
>>
File: thumbnail_20170214_190639.jpg (130KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_20170214_190639.jpg
130KB, 720x1280px
>>40381189
>>
>>40381971
>letting jews cuck you out of a valuable part of your penis
>>
File: 1470419041227.png (579KB, 575x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1470419041227.png
579KB, 575x1169px
>can't get below 14% BF
>huge autist in public
>Tfw no gf because of autism
>star to hang out with ppl less and stay home and lift more
>planning on never cutting my body hair again

We all know I'm going to advance to wizard mode soon (almost 20), and after that I could easily get to ascended mode. Should I just forget women, get swole, and wait to die in the upcoming global race war?
>>
I started lifting for real yesterday (no more machines) for the first time. Is a 115lb squat and a 70lb bench bad for beginner?

Also, should I cut or bulk if I'm a skinny fat bastard with little-to-no muscle definition?
>>
Are there any U/L splits that don't include deadlifts?
>>
>>40381971
nice bulge brah. get bigger before you cut
>>
>>40383782
Yeah, Heaven/Hell depending on your life
>>
I am 170 cm and weight 60 KG. I am doing SS. Should I bulk? If so, till how much?
>>
6'1 174 lb (from 150) , 6 mo liftin 5x a week. I'm starting to get depressed with lift progress. gone are the weeks of consistent strength and size gains.

I'm about to start eating more, from 3150. playing around with mfp to gain .5-1lb a week, I should eat 3300-3800 a day.

where should I be aiming ? for activity I lift about an hour to 2 hr a day & work on my feet. I'd rather over do it than not but I also don't want that massive gut back I had when I first started this bulk.

pls help
>>
>>40383125
who cares, everyone starts somewhere. bulk
>>
>>40381636
lift weights, eat slightly above maintenance
>>
What is a good substitute for milk if you're trying to lose weight?
>>
>>40379836
3-4x12-15
DB benches , from every angle
flyes, from every angle
wall pec-ups (like a wall push up but rest on pecs, push off with them squeeze hold & return
>>
>>40385573
i am not a doctor
>>
File: img-2.jpg (45KB, 729x423px) Image search: [Google]
img-2.jpg
45KB, 729x423px
I started lifting 3 months ago, trying a bunch of routine for 2 months and now my routine is this :
Evrything is 5 x 8-12
A
Shoulder press (dumbbells) or Arnold press
Lateral raise
Frontal raise
Hammer curl
Curl at the cable machine
Triceps pushdown (rope)
Triceps pushdown (straight small barbell, don't know the name)
Chin up neutral grip
Dips
Abs workout

B
Bench press
Incline press with dumbbells
Pectoral fly machine
Barbell row
seated row
Pull down
Pull ups
Dips
Abs workout

I noticed some gain and better strenght since I started a month ago and I focus on my upper body since I have okay legs (played soccer all my life)
Do you think I should ad some exercices ?
>>
>>40386161
change it up every 3-5 weeks with new routine, if you keep on same routine for a long time you body will adapt to that movement and you will only be stronger in that movement(this is only for machines)
>>
File: Neutral-spine.png (131KB, 576x398px) Image search: [Google]
Neutral-spine.png
131KB, 576x398px
Just to be clear, when squatting do I want a neutral spine or a flat spine?
The term is always 'neutral', but in photos and videos people's backs almost always look totally flat. Is that just their less DYEL-tier muscles flattening out their back while maintaining the natural curve in a neutral spine?
>>
>>40380720
drink wayyyy more water, get your kidneys checked if it persists
>>
>>40386345
it's the muscles making it look flat. the spine is neutral as in "natural curves"
>>
How often can I do abs exercises?
For example, if I have an abs workout of like 10-15 minutes, can I do it every day? Multiple times a day? Until my abs no longer hurt? What's the most effective way to train them?
>>
A friend of mine who lives abroad is asking my advice about lifting. He's been getting into it for about a month or two.

Problem is something doesn't add up. He says he weighs 250lbs but that sounds really overweight to me. He says it's ok because he's 6'5 but I'm pretty sure he's slightly shorter than me and I'm 6'4. Even if he was 6'5, 250lbs sounds fat. He says it's mostly muscle but is that possible after like a month of working out?

But he also says a calorie calculator told him he needed 2900kcal a day to bulk...

am I crazy or is something not right with those numbers?
>>
I'm sick for the 3rd time in 2 months and can't progress for shit because of it. I'm eating pretty healthy, I lift and also do some cardio, but something must be off because this is fucking absurd.
How to make immune system gains?
>>
>>40386400
Get an ab wheel. Do 4x10 on that, some hanging leg raises, some crunches, 3 or ,4 times a week.
>>
>>40386400
Pretty much everyday from what I've heard, just set up a dedicated time and make sure to rest them between.

>>40386459
Make sure you get enough sleep. It's part of the holy trinity of exercises-protons-proper sleep & rest

>>40386443
Calorie counters are never quite right, because it's pretty much impossible to account for the differences in lean muscle mass vs fat amounts in different people. Your friend is likely full of shit however, and doing it wrong. That's likely for a number of reasons

>He wants to sounds badass by saying he's mostly muscle after a month of lifting. He's full of shit and fat

>Putting in the wrong activity level for his calculator on purpose or accident. Doing an hour of lifting three times a week doesn't put you in strenuous exercise.

>While he is tall which would add weight on, that's still a fatty BMI. Take an honest look at him and appraise

Keep in mind that bulking recommendations generally come in at 500 KCals over calculated maintenance BMI so you'll gain a pound each week. It's important to report an accurate amount of activity so you don't over bulk, and thus dirty bulk when your body partitions the calories into fat storage and muscles. You and your friend want to get /fit/, not fat.
>>
>>40386443
The calories sound reasonable, although im bulking on 3k while 160lbs, but your mate could maybe bulk if he doesnt care for aesthetics without becoming obese, as 250 is overweight but not extreme at that weight
>>
>>40386459
I eat about 8 portions of veg a day and my immune system has never been better.

My gf came down with a cold that kept her in bed for days and I got the sniffles breifly before shaking it off a couple days later. That was it for the whole winter.
>>
>>40386459

I haven't been sick once since I adopted a habit of washing my hands with soap after I get off a train/bus. But I commute to work every day, so that's a big difference, idk about you.
>>
>>40377858
Be carefull, if you aren't doing your pull-ups at the gym, the SL routine police may come round and summarily execute you there and then
>>
>>40379388
It will be fucking hell for the first few days, but then when your breath starts to stink (because of the ketones) you will feel better
>>
>>40380288
Post a picture now so we can save it and remember what a piece of shit you used to look like
>>
>>40378289
Doesnt matter. Only what you look like now
>>
Am I strong enough to benefit from a bodybuilding routine yet? I'm tired of looking like i don't lift. I'm 80kg / 176lbs - squat 190kg / 418lbs, bench 112.5kg / 246lbs, deadlift 200kg / 440lbs

All my accessories are weak as fuck though. Like my dumbbell curls is at fucking 12.5kg 4x12.
>>
Do you have to mix protein powder with liquid for you to absorb the protein? I like to mix my powder with greek yoghurt as it feels like soft serve
>>
>>40379388
Seems to work.

>>40386750
The more annoying thing is your piss absolutely fucking reeks. It's this horrendous smell. I've read people describe it as fruity but those people must've never had fruit in their lives
>>
How much does 1pl8 weigh in kg?
>>
>>40387470
>>
How big is the difference between the density of muscle and fat?
Would a person look bigger at 8% bodyfat than at 30% at the same height and weight?
>>
>>40387580

These are two questions. One is googleable: Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is 0.9 g/ml.

The answer to the other is yes, but not due to density differences.
>>
Are BCAA supplements a meme? I know you get amino acids from just normal food, but I was considering getting a BCAA supplement with some caffiene instead of drinking coffee while I'm at work. Is there any actual benefit to a supplement or is it just a waste of money? I drink my coffee black so it's 0 kcal and not really bad for you
>>
>>40386882
People mix with milk all the time so I don't think so, its not like the water and the protein go through some chemical reaction so your body ingests it better, its literally just so you can drink it instead of eating powder.
>>
>>40386704
This to infinity.

I travel for work and constantly got sniffles. I completely stopped it by adopting a policy of:

- Don't touch anything (handrails, handholds, etc)
- Don't touch your face AT ALL!!
- Wash your hands with soap often, but absolutely after you touch things that are unavoidable (TSA bins, seatbelts, etc on the plane).

>>40386663
Also this. As suggested, ensure that you are getting your micro nutrients. Eat right and take a multivitamin.
>>
Is there anything wrong with changing which days are rest day?
ie if i do push/pull are these two functionally the same?

Pull push rest pull push rest rest

Pull push rest pull rest push rest
>>
>>40385548
bump
>>
File: IMG_20170215_110517 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3000x5333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170215_110517 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3000x5333px
21, 5'6, 120.5 lbs

Took hydrostatic body fat test at 126 lbs and it put me at 15.3% BF with 19.2 lbs of fat.
Been cutting for about a month since then.

Do I keep cutting? Stomach looks soft and squishy. I thought I'd look more athletic at 15% BF.
Or do I maintain and try and fill it out once my core is stronger?
>>
>>40388953
tits or gtfo
>>
Ive heard some things say you should wait 3-5 minutes between sets so you muscles are rested for every set

Other things have said to only wait about a minute

Which is better?
>>
People who have lost a large amount of weight, what improved aside from your self esteem?
>>
>>40388953
To be honest you're already fairly slim but completely skinnyfat, you should probably just eat maintenance TDEE and lift hard, worst case scenio you overeat and end up looking puffy. Then you can just starve yourself again and you'll be able to cut down to a base of muscle.
>>
>>40388953
You're skinny fat.
Simply losing fat doesn't mean you'll have abs.
Those people who say ab work is pointless and that anyone who simply loses weight will have an automagic six pack are retards
>>
>>40389246
I guess I fell for the wrong meme. Damn.

Is the whole planks-pushups-crunches set-up good enough for core as long as I'm doing other shit for legs/arms? Don't have a gym, so pretty limited on what I can do in terms of weights.
>>
What's the difference between 5×5 and 4×6?
I'm currently on 5×5 after stalling on 3×12 with my compunds but Vitruvian Physique says 4×6 are also good but I couldn't find anything on google
>>
I have a cold

should I still go lift?
>>
>>40386859
If you want your muscles to be bigger then go for it, you lift for your own goals. It's not like you can never again train for strength after having some muscle.

>>40387676
BCAA can be useful for cutting, but they're not necessary. Use examine.com for information about supplements.

>>40389088
Better to rest so you can finish your next set.

>>40389414
No big difference between the two.

>>40389558
Depends on how bad you feel, if you feel weak then there's no reason to strain yourself and make the illness worse.
>>
How do I lose that extra fat right above my ass?
The one that sticks out of my pants, on the sides
>>
Realistically how far can you get with only bodyweight stuff with 30 to 40 minutes per day that you can allow to it ? Let's say starting from skinnyfat mode so very little muscle.
>>
>>40389725
Pretty far
What counts when time is limited is having a well thought out program, intensity and consistency.
>>
Is it normal to not be able to lift as much on your second day at the gym as you did your first ? I went to the gym for the first time ever on Monday and was able to squat 105 lbs for 3x5 but today I was only able to do 65 lbs because my legs and ass hurt so fucking much from Monday

Should I rest for two days in between workouts instead of just one? Or do I just suffer from Chronic Weak Pussy disease?
>>
>>40389739
Thanks lad. Closest gym is pretty far from where I live so I need to make do with what I have.
>>
>>40389700
Come on man, this is basic shit
You lose all fat around body at an equal rate.
That part is last to go because that's where men store their fat
>>
>>40389756
That's probably just muscle fever, it will go away after some time, a few days probably. Stick with the program, but if the pain will persist for a long time then maybe there's something wrong with your form and you injured yourself, so be careful out there.
>>
>>40389813
Actually the body will burn muscle before it burns off fat from those stubborn areas.

That's why Lyle Mcdonald suggests taking Yohimbe and doing fasted cardio. Yohimbe helps the body access those stubborn fat stores.
>>
File: stubborn fat protocol 2.0.jpg (316KB, 749x608px) Image search: [Google]
stubborn fat protocol 2.0.jpg
316KB, 749x608px
>>40389813
It's from Lyle Mcdonald's book, so might be legit.
>>
>>40389820
Thanks, I'll try to see if I can go a little heavier next time without pain.

I don't think it's an injury since it's not a stabbing kind of pain, just an annoying muscle soreness that makes going down to parallel hard
>>
File: doubt.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
>>40389831
>Actually the body will burn muscle before it burns off fat from those stubborn areas.

Pretty sure if you just run a calorie deficit, you'll lose fat before you lose all your muscles
>>
>>40389861
There are areas where fat cells have less adrenergic receptors or something like that and don't burn off that easy. That's legit, but the other anon >>40389700 was complaining about love handles so you're probably right that he's just fat.
>>
When I microwave prepped food, am I actually doing something to make it healthier to eat (e.g. killing bacteria)? Or am I just making it warmer and therefore more pleasant to eat?
>>
When you refer to the 1/2/3/4 OHP/Bench/Squat/Deadlift strength standard, should I understand it as assisted 1RM? Unassisted 1RM? 3 reps? 5 reps? 5 comfortable reps with perfect form? 10 reps? Guide me /fit/
>>
>>40389905
>where fat cells have less adrenergic receptors or something like that

please get out of this thread. You just indirectly recommended a beginner to start taking a supplement you've no experience with. kys
>>
>>40390182
I didn't mention any supplements.
>>
File: IMG_0603.jpg (19KB, 278x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0603.jpg
19KB, 278x300px
What's the best supplements for a lanky ectomorph who doesn't have time to eat the amount he needs during days when he works?

>Tired of my weight not moving despite spending fortunes on food and travel to gym
>>
what i can do instead of rows and deadlift ?
>>
>>40390225
There are lots of types of rows. You'll need to be more specific

And nothing replaces deadlift
Deadlift is love
Deadlift is life
>>
>>40390225
What exact medical excuse do you have not to deadlift?

I only ask because genetic disorders and injuries are the only viable excuses to skip the queen of all lifts.
>>
Just started trying to get in shape for the first time. It's going great except that some exercises make me start to gag and cough like I'm gonna throw up. Is this something that will go away over time? It's frustrating to have to stop a set not because I'm at my limit but because of this gag reflex
>>
>>40390263
The squat plug goes up your ass, not down your throat
>>
>>40390260
I'm missing an arm
>>
>>40390270
Good news, deadlift only uses arms as a mean to hold the barbell. Most of the lifting is done by the back and the legs.
>>
>> 40390234
pendlay rows

>> 40390260

there is something wrong with my back i feel something that does a TOC sound when i do rows and diddy
>>
>>40390221
Drink your calories. When you work you should have at least 2 minutes every few hours to chug down a protein shake. You can add peanut butter and blend in bananas, oats, and Greek yogurt for extra calories.
>>
>>40390270
Well that'll do it

You can do one handed barbell rows and replace the DLs with lowbar squats
Not as effective for the posterior chain, but close enough
Barbell hipthrusts can help round off the glute workout that DLs would occupy
>>
>>40386400
Any more opinions on this anons?
>>
>>40390279
>>40390295
Thanks lads. I wasn't the guy who asked the question btw but wondering the same thing
>>
>>40377858
Why do you all hate bread?
>>
>>40390422
Wasted calories
Just carbs with no nutrients
>>
Is it okay to lower the amount of calories a lot on rest days to try and cut a little ? I thought about it but then I'm afraid of lacking energy the next day for workout. I do 2 workout days then 1 rest day.
>>
What kind of vitamin supplements would I want to take assuming meh diet?
>>
>rapidly approaching 1pl8 ohp
>struggling with 2pl8 squat
What is this fucking shit mang?
>>
My family and gf tell me that I look a little slimmer, but I look at myself in the mirror and don't see any differences. When will I start to notice?
>>
>>40390558
yes is okay.
Check sleep and try coffee if you fell weak.

>>40390607
Vitamin D+ K2
sometimes Vitamin C
+
stadart supplements.

>>40390755
Mobilty, leaverge, genetics, focus, core...

>>40390422
addicting (not really, but I love it so much...)
Also I run better on low carbs.

>>40386400
You can train them everyday with low intensity, but best (in my opinion):
Weighted stuff for reps + easy shit to failure.
3-4 times a week for 3 weeks.
Focus on it and work them through.

>>40386459
Zinc+ Vitamin C

Sunlight and good sleep

Veggies!

>>40390156
warmer and easier to digest in some cases

>>40390823
Tape meaussure yourself and take pics!
You are seeing yourself to oftn in the miror t really see changes
>>
I'm 5'9" right now, for the first time I'm trying eating at a 500 calorie surplus while doing stronglifts 5x5. I'm getting some nice gains. I was 162lbs when I started, now I'm up to 172lbs. I plan to keep lifting and bulking until mid way through March. Then start to cut it off down until I'm at a low body fat so i can show off muh gains. My question, when I go to cut, how much muscle am i going to lose?
>>
>>40390866
Thank you.
>>
What is "slow" bulking?
>>
>>40391132
little calorie surplus.

>>40390876
many factors, eat your protein and sleep a lot, the it will be 1-2 pounds or so.

>>40391113
np
>>
>>40391184
So like a surplus of like

200?
>>
I read the sticky and yet I have no idea how to burn off my stomach fat. I'm 5'10 and around 160 lbs, do I just diet? Or do I do core exercises?

A-am I a manlet?
>>
File: 1487074291856.png (227KB, 635x661px) Image search: [Google]
1487074291856.png
227KB, 635x661px
Why is it that no matter how much I can lift I can't pull my soul from the pit of despair that consumes it
>>
Okay guys I have a serious question.

I'm autistic and wondering what the best lifting plan and diet meal plan is best for someone with autism (me).

Does it have to be different from a non-autistic person, or is it the same as a non-autistic person?

I don't like loud and busy places because I flail my arms a lot when panicked and I don't want to hurt anyone so I may need a home gym but my mom would be paying so it needs to be cheap. I also won't eat anything that I don't like.
>>
>>40390221
Cody, buy mass gainer bro
>>
>>40391241
Eat a calorie deficit. Exercise helps. For men the stomach area will be the hardest to loose the fat. With women its the thighs and hips.
>>
File: 1447689240032.jpg (36KB, 266x315px) Image search: [Google]
1447689240032.jpg
36KB, 266x315px
>>40378093
>hey guys can you please tell me if I have gyno or not
>covers up moobs completely with phone
Kys in the most heinous way imaginable
>>
Sorry for the spam i need help
So guys i am poor as fuck skinnyfag and protien shakes are expensive here and so is meat and oats and eggs so can i get my protien from almonds and nuts and yogurt and natural cow milk and ALOT of calories and carbs foods?
I also eat chicken breasts every two days and I had this idea of making my own protien powder using alot of nuts,almonds,milk powder
So is it enough?
>>
>>40377858
No. That's a fucking stupid idea. Unless all stronglifts exercises are performed within ten minutes of each other the workout is USELESS.

>>40378133
>Should I just do shitloads of cardio on rest days?
No you can't

>>40378442
buttplugs
>>
When losing weight.
>Quitting workout half way through due to exhaustion and another workout on a wouldbe rest day tomorrow
Or
>staying till the plan is finished, possibly failing on form, but getting the plan done
?
>>
So I'm in a cut right now. It's nearly over, but I'm getting really lean and my calories are pretty low. I've discovered that any injuries i get, however minor, either don't or take forever to heal.

For example, a slight twinge in my wrist which would take a few days at most to heal still hasn't got any better in 2 weeks. Same with a minor toe injury.

What do I do? Why is my body so shit at healing stuff when I'm cutting?
>>
Hi.

I've been doing SL5x5 for about a month now, and I'm starting to have trouble keeping up with the 5/10lbs each round.

Bench 140lbs
Squat 185lbs
DL 225lbs

In the past if I really tried to "explode" at the bottom the bar would shoot up, now even if I'm trying to explode it takes some time to move the weight. Is it time for my first de-load?
>>
>>40391377
Also, 24y/o, 6'4" and 225lbs...I haven't been eating as much protein as I should have until recently (last week or so I've been hitting 180-190grams/day)
>>
>>40378093
Clearly gyno, if it looks way different when they are soft its another prove, but youll see the truth once you cut more
>>
>>40389337
>Is the whole planks-pushups-crunches set-up good enough for core as long as I'm doing other shit for legs/arms?

Yes. Also ab wheel.
>>
File: 1484687591247.jpg (142KB, 522x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484687591247.jpg
142KB, 522x500px
can somebody redpill me on alcohol? I'm finally starting to cut and I'm realizing my drinking habit was probably my number one reason for gaining too much weight in the first place.
currently calorie counting, and even though my calorie allowance is like 1750, at the end of the day I find myself having to force myself to eat to get up to even that number.

how far back would a cheat day set me once or twice a weekend as far as getting drunk, and is there any ways I can fit in weekday drinking without fucking everything up?
>>
>>40391377
>>40391390
23, 6'6" 220lb here. My protein intake is the same as you but I'm trying to up my caloric intake to around 3500+. How much are you eating? When I've done the research I'm seeing people say that at this sort of height you need 4000kcal but that sounds like way too much for me and would just make me fat
>>
>>40391370
how many calories a day are you getting?
/fit/izens have a terrible habit of doing stupid extreme cuts and it's not good for you
>>
Just lost visibility of my abs without flexing

Keep bulking?

I can see two flexed.
>>
>>40391556
do you want to gain muscle more than you want to see your six pack?

yes - keep bulking
no - stop bulking
>>
These threads are fucking cancer and encourage you idiots to ask the stupidest shit possible.
>>
>>40391545
Not nearly that much.... I'm aiming for 189grams of carbs and protein, and 42 grams of fat.. ~1900 calories.

I probably underestimate what I'm actually eating...
>>
>>40391585
would you rather they made their own thread?
>>
>>40391585
Where's your thread asking smart questions so I can hijack it and ask my dumb questions?
>>
>>40391585
Well do you want a containment thread or threads that shit up the board ? Nobody is forcing anyone to answer the questions and I now it's not ideal.
>>
>>40391594
You're surely gonna struggle to increase your lifts if you're eating at a deficit though. Are you cutting?
>>
>>40391600
>>40391608
>>40391610
I think we got baited my dudes
>>
I've been on SS for 5 months and just realized I got some nasty stretch marks on my thighs. What do?
>>
>>40391554
I'm just eating 500 kcal under maintenance, nothing extreme
>>
>>40391656
how much? X - 500 tells me nothing
>>
>>40391585
>>40391556
kys

>>40391530
you can easily fit alcohol into your diet if you're not drinking to excess, the calorie info on almost all booze is readily available.

But you and I both know you're only asking us for the green light on weekend binge drinking. Shitfaced or gains, pick one.
>>
>>40391618
Very good point.

I'm fat as fuck... probably around 30%bf. I feel like my bone structure/current muscles (while my arms could use a boose..) have enough mass that being more a of a skinny muscular over a massive muscular is the way to go.. What do you think? I haven't really talked about it too much.
>>
>>40391671
2500 is my TDEE
so 2000
>>
What's a good form of liquid calories that aren't milk that I can drink to up my intake easily?
>>
>>40391672
relax dude. I'm not asking for a green light, I'm asking about cheat days and what they do to a schedule. I have no problem cutting down, I just want to know by how much.
and I know the calories are measurable but I want to know if there's other issues with booze that the calorie value doesn't account for. I can fit a drink a night into my diet just fine and be under calories, I just want to know if there are dangers to doing so

>>40391704
sounds fine in that case. maybe it's your workout regime? it's probably naturally harder to heal if your body has less calories, but if you're fucking up your wrist lifting you may want to look into changing your workout to not stress it
>>
>>40391698
30% is pretty big. I'm at around 20 and feel pretty fat but at my height I have to gain a little more to avoid cutting to skellymode.

I mean you need to decide whether to bulk or cut to get anywhere and if you don't wanna be strongfat or anything you probably need to cut first, I heard gains get worse the fatter you are. I've not actually cut yet so I dunno if noob strength gains are viable for an overweight guy cutting
>>
My DL is fucking shit tier, I can squat up to 110kg 1rm easily and could probably go above yet I struggle to DL 2pl8. I did 2pl8 a few days ago and my back is fucking killing me (probably fucked up form). Could I switch out squats in SL5x5 for DL on OHP days instead?
>>
>>40391729
i don't think i fucked it up lifting, though now i'm having to take upper body days off to avoid stressing it more.
>>
>>40391727
just buy a mixer buddy boyo
use oats, peanutbutter, bananas, berries, olive oil

gotta eat big to get big cmon
>>
>>40391761
all I'm saying is it's worth looking into. if you're on the tail end of a cut maybe switch back to bulking a bit early and see how it feels.

nobody on /fit/ is a medical doctor so we can only really give guesses

>>40391727
this guy has a good point. >>40391776
if you don't like that then maybe try nut milks like almond milk. tastes nothing like normal milk
>>
>>40391738
I was 5'10 and 260 6 years ago, and it's been mostly cardio since then. I've stalled on losing cardio wise and thought I'd give lifting a try... so I should continue cutting, high protein, find my weight I can lift at but not worry about making the 5lb/session progress?
>>
>>40391753
pls help
my back is in brutal pain lads
>>
>>40391821
DL is a meme lift. yeah it works but at that exact cost. if your back hurts stop fucking doing it
>>
>>40391753
Wait you mean like, having workout A be Squats Bench Row and workout B be?? Deads OHP Deads?

Anyways your back shouldn't be killing you. If you can handle 110kg squats it shouldn't be a weakness issue. Form might be shit. Deload, review form(film it), and read up.

Something I recommend to a lot of people when it comes to form - is read Starting Strength. Even if they're not doing the routine. Rippetoe explains every lift quite thoroughly. My deadlifts improved massively after I reviewed his instructions for setting up the deadlift. With the modification of slightly lower hips than his setup gives me, because of my build I needed more leg drive.
>>
>>40391838
Yeah yeah I get its a meme lift but I'm a DYEL, I'm just tired of squatting 3 times a week and having my DL lag behind big time because of SLs retarded planning
>>
>>40391849
dude you're squats aren't gonna be good either if you fuck up your spine. why the fuck are you squatting 3 times a week anyway?
>>
>>40391849
Are you adding 5lb/squat and 10lb/deadlift day?
>>
>>40391869
SL5x5
A: squat ohp DL
B: squat bench bb rows

AxBxA
BxAxB
>>
>>40391871
Yeah, but my DL was quite low when I started. Regardless, I'm increasing 5lb on DL each workout and 5lb on squat now, so it seems my DL will never catch up. Plus I hit a plateau at fkn 2pl8 squat, it was fucking depressing
>>
Just started week 6 day 1 of madcow, lifting new pr for the 2nd week

Only managed 1x4 on squat and although I managed 1x5 on bench, I came very close to failing the last rep

I assume my diet is the problem as I get plenty of rest, should I just stay the course or repeat the week?
>>
>>40391932
sorry, meant I hit a plateau on my 2pl8 DL. I haven't hit a plateau on my squat yet and sometimes I increase it by 10lbs even.
>>
File: I2EJGSG.png (328KB, 647x363px) Image search: [Google]
I2EJGSG.png
328KB, 647x363px
How do I make a video for a form check if I don't know anyone at the gym? Do I just ask a random person....

Because I kinda fucked up SS: a person at the gym told me I was doing the DL completely wrong... So I had to relearn and start over from 60kg building back up to 115kg. It seems like I did DL mostly with lower back. I'm glad I did not get it injured....

I also keep discovering nuances of the squat, and each one them helps me add more weight to the bar. Wonder how much I'm gonna notice over time.
>>
I'm taking a break from lifting to recover from shoulder impingement, should I still take the same amount of protons?
>>
>>40391600
>>40391608
>>40391610
>>40391672
Most of the dumb fucking questions here can be answered by either google or just lurking. Lemme sum up 90% of these threads

>I did y exercise which clearly uses x muscle, why does the muscle feel different the next day?

>I'm fat, should I starve myself first before trying to lose weight by exercising

>I don't understand how bulking or cutting works, here is a stupid fucking question

>Here is my horrible routine that is just a bunch of random exercises, what other random exercises can I add to it?
>>
>>40391952
You don't need to ask anyone for help to record your form. Just set up your phone, leaning against your water bottle or whatever.

I would also like to express some skepticism about the guy telling you you're Deadlifting wrong if he can't provide any more concrete critique than 'you're lifting with your lower back'. Since you're doing SS go back and fucking read what Rippetoe says about the deadlift and your form should be 8/10.
>>
Been on a steep cut for a month now. Bodyfat is getting very low.

I lost control and binged lel twice this week, and both times woke up leaner and it seemed to make me drop weight faster. Usually if I binge I bloat up like fucking hell and stay bloated for a week or two.

How is my body using a binge as a way to drop weight?
>>
>>40391954
No dude, it's too dangerous to over consume protein when not working out.

>>40391952
Always listen to the advice random people in the gym give you. Especially if it's a commercial gym. They know what's best. Also there is no possible way to hold a camera to record you outside of another human.
>>
>>40391945
If you have the power to squat more than you deadlift this early it's most likely a form issue.
>>
>>40391991
You see you lowered your set point. Your body will now ignore all calories and fight you to maintain that set point of weight.
>>
>>40392022
what
>>
>>40391987
>>40391996
Well, the guy works there as a personal trainer. I guess he thought I might kill myself or something if I continue my way.

Anyways, he told me that my back angle should be around 45-60 degrees, so that spine acts as a lever, and legs actually lift that lever. He also said that my shoulders are in front of the bar, which is wrong. The book wasn't clear enough on the back angle, so I guess it was too horizontal.

I guess I'll m-my autistic self ask someone to make the video then, or indeed put the phone against a bottle o-or something....
>>
>first day doing StrongLifts 5x5

>can barely squat 45lbs (the bar alone)
>can barely benchpress the same weight
>can barely barbell row 65lbs

I only completed the first set and every other set afterwards I failed to do the number of reps.

Do I keep trying until I am able to complete a full 5x5 day?

I'm a weak 6' 115lbs skelly.
>>
File: 1486751057400.jpg (95KB, 790x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1486751057400.jpg
95KB, 790x1062px
>>40391991
>eat junk food
>body not used to it
>oh shit better flush this shit out ASAP
>*brraappp*
>diarrhea
>you just lost weight buddy, nice going
>>
>>40392062
yes jus keep going n make it a habit
>>
>>40392068
wasn't even junk food, just stuff i normally eat like oats
didn't shit after
>>
>>40392053
Always listen to personal trainers. They are certified professionals that took a weekend course.

Your shoulders should be slightly infront of the bar if you value your shins. Think about pushing the floor down with your legs and not lifting the weight up.
>>
>>40392042
By starving yourself your body has lowered what your weight should be. Now when you binge, your body will ignore those calories and maintain close to what the set point is.
>>
>>40392053
Back angle? What back angle? Straight lower back is mandatory, then how high your hips are will depend on your build.

Shoulders SHOULD be infront of the bar. Actually fucking research this shit if you're gonna dedicate time and effort into it. Optimal bar path is a straight line. Best place for barbell in regards to shoulders with this in mind is slightly in front, so that the SCAPULAE are directly over the bar.

But anon. Listen here. Why the FUCK would you listen to my advice? Take home point here is to research on your own so you can understand the mechanics of the lift better and actually know what you're doing.

Personal trainers in gyms are there to make money. The quality of trainers in commercial gyms vary too much for anyone to say they're credible.
>>
>>40392127
>your body will ignore those calorie
come the fuck on
>>
>>40392114
Nah, I don't care about the shins at all.
>>40392137
The main problem is that I have not a slightest clue how I perform the DL. I kinda understand what I should do, but I struggle to apply it. Seems like I really need dat form check video.

Thanks for advice, anons.
>>
>>40392138
Why do you think it's so hard for skeletons to gain weight and fatties to lose weight. Eventually you can overcome it but your body will fight you. How else do you explain binging making you leaner?
>>
>>40392185
>Nah, I don't care about the shins at all
hahahahaha, you do more than you know boyo. Just google deadlift form dude. Watch some videos, figure out what works best for you, and do it. Deadlift starting position can vary dramatically based on body composition. There is no one size fits all. Really the only things you can do wrong is arch your back like a cat and or drag the bar up your legs.
>>
>>40390167
bump
>>
>>40391370
can be.
More fish oil and maybe gelatine+vitaminc
Also more sleep, give your body plenty of rest.

>>40391377
maybe not deload, but try to own the weight you're at right now.

>>40391329
try your best, deload or if it really sucks, stop the workout, rest and then do it again 2 days later.

Go by feeling and also don't stress your body so much.

>>40391304
if you gain, yes.

>>40391293
try a cheap barbell set and maybe a pull up bar.
Also try mastering the basics lifts, then it's easy to go in a gym, cause you know what you do!

Maybe look for something with percentages; if you are a math loving faggot (5/3/1)

Also everything is tasty with salt, garlic and/or butter/olive oil

>>40391251
Cause it's you time and helps you to repair yourself.
Also; try sports.

>>40391241
Most important, diet.

Also Cardio+Abs can help.

>>40391188
200-300
if you stop gaining weight; up it a bit.
>>
>>40390167
8 reps with okay form, not perfect but not bad. It's expected to have a spotter and you can count reps even if the spotter helps you.
>>
>>40392185
Read. Execute. Film. Compare.

I really do feel like Starting Strength is very clear. Bar over middle of foot. Bend at the hips and grab bar(bent back is allowed). Bar does not move. Lower shins to touch barbell. Barbell does not move. Squeeze your chest up to create back tension and by result lower your hips into optimal place. If you still feel like your hips are too high lower them a bit.

But make certain to film it.

>>40392218
Bar should make contact with shins on descent FOR MOST PEOPLE. The bar stays closer to the hips and makes for a more efficient bar path.
>>
File: 1483626761291.jpg (1MB, 1920x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1483626761291.jpg
1MB, 1920x1519px
can somebody redpill me on booze?
if I'm under my calories for the day am I fine to drink or are there other issues I should know about
>>
>>40390167

30 REPS OR BUST. C'MON
>>
>>40392273

The only issue with alcohol is it's pure empty calories, but if you're gonna drink, go for liquors instead of piss water.
>>
>>40390167
not sure myself.
I like to think of it as stages.
The "reight" 1,2,3,4 is for 3x5 reps.
but you can call it a small 1,2,3,4 for your 1 rep max.
Just feeling from me

>>40390221
squats and milk+protein.
Just get in the calories!

>>40392062
you need it so train hard my friend.

maybe use the small barbell and eat.
EAT!

>>40392273
it's apoison and it isn't helping with a restng sleep.
also eating can suck when intoxicated.

Try not to over do it.
>>
>>40392312
>>40392321
so what Im getting from this is my whiskey nightcap is a go if I factor it in to a diet
>>
>>40390221
Head to your local GNC and tell them you want to get big. They'll easily direct you to all supps you'll need.
>>
>>40392341

Yeah, but it's calories you could put towards more protons. Ultimately up to you, but yes, it's better to factor it into the diet
>>
>>40392062

If you keep going and EAT EAT EAT, your strength will go through the fucking roof during the first few months.

Noob gains are literally magic, my friend.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
7KB, 250x202px
this shit is only 15 dollars at Aldi and I have no idea what differentiates protein powders from each other. can somebody explain why this is probably a bad purchase?
>>
>>40392341
yes, but from time to time try week without it.
(every 8 weeks or so)
>>
>>40392391

The main difference is the ratio of how much protein is in each serving. Look at the nutrition label and see how much each serving is by weight, and then how much of that weight is in the form of protein. A lot of shitty powders will fill their powder up with sugar to make them taste good.

The quality of the protein itself is also kinda important, but requires knowing what kinds of protein are good for what.
>>
Gonna get back into lifting again. Don't give a shit about looks, only give a shit about functionality. Would like to increase my athleticism, flexibility and explosivity mostly. Anyone got some advice for me what exercises to focus on?
>>
>>40392421
how do I identify protein quality?
>>
>>40392426

What lifting background do you come from? What were your best lifting stats, what kind of break did you take, what are your stats now? Did you have any medical emergencies that would affect your recovery?
>>
>>40392433
You'll need to examine your fecal matter after consuming nothing but it for a day.
>>
>>40392426
Power clean/snatch; Push Press/Jerk
KB-Swings
Farmer Walk
Pull ups
>>
>>40392426
Any beginner strength program is recommended to give you a good foundation of raw strength. For explosivity, Starting Strength includes Power cleans. Flexibility can be done separate from any program, really. Just google some mobility/flexibility drills and do them on a daily basis.

I'm not entirely sure on how to define 'Athleticism' in a more objective way. I suppose just make sure your diet is strict, eat at a surplus, but a controlled one. No reckless bulking.
>>
I fucking hate squats. I'm thinking of replacing them on my deadlift days with weighted lunges. Is this full retard y/n.
>>
>>40392571

Do your fucking squats.
>>
>>40392571
Squats are more important than deadlifts, and certainly more important than lunges.

Do your squats.
>>
>>40392433
https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

http://www.supplementlabtest.com/whey-protein-shake-ranking
>>
>>40392571
Try to do the squat pattern.
so ar squats or goblet squats.

but lunges or split squats are a good help for leg strength.
>>
>>40392699
thanks
>>
>>40392583
>>40392683
>do your squats
>squats are more important

why do you say this

they leave me feeling insanely gassed, more than any lift including deads. i unironically hate them. what about them is so important that i need to do them every workout?
>>
File: cellucor test.png (152KB, 295x547px) Image search: [Google]
cellucor test.png
152KB, 295x547px
Is this bullshit or will this (or other test pills) actually help gain muscle/weight?
(currently using just BCAA, protein, creatine, vitamins, and sometimes preworkout)
>>
>>40392808
curious about this too. I fucking hate leg day in general but squats are the fucking worst. I've been using a rowing machine and high resistance biking for leg work but I still do leg day.
>>
>>40392808
>>40392873

I like Dan John's take on this:

"Lesson 3: You must master the squat movement.

You may not need to ever squat heavy, and you may also discover that there are some better tools for you (for you, read that carefully) like Bulgarian split squats or pistols, but mastery of the squat is worth every second you spend on it.

In past articles, like this, I've given you a template to follow. However, I still feel that the message has NOT been delivered. You must master this basic movement. Spend years on it if you have to, as I did, but learn to do this."

( 40 years of Insight)
>>
>>40392941
yeah but my lifting buddy is gone and I'm a sperg so I don't expect I'll make much improvement in the short term
>>
Doing gslp at the moment. Is it ok to just bench twice a week and ohp once instead of alternating? Every other week it has me ohp twice and bench once, which I'm not a fan of.
>>
>>40393066

Stick to the program. Your shoulders will lag behind tremendously if you don't properly alternate them.
>>
>>40393045
Try goblet squats and patternstuff to keep it.

I like Overheadsquats with just the bar for warm up and mobilty.

But it's about your goals, keeping the squat movement should be on this list, but no need for back squats.
>>
>>40393168
I like doing front squats. are they a solid replacement? wtf is a goblet squat?
>>
>>40392808
They're the best way to get the lower body stronger without imbalances.
They have a huge range of motion for the two strongest joints in the body, the knees and hips.
They use a lot of muscle and can be loaded easily.

The hamstrings could lag a bit, but some SLDLs or RDLs or goodmornings once in a while would fix that.

Why is it important to get the lower body strong?
Because that's the easiest way to get it big too.
If getting better at squats allows you to leg press twice as much, you'll build more muscle.

You can do squats just once a week, but twice a week is great for most people.
If you hate them so much, just do them once a week for a couple more sets than if you'd do them twice a week.
If you hate low-bar, do high-bar.
If you hate both, do front squats.
>>
For a guy who weights 65kg is 100g of protein and alot of calories and carbs enough for building muscle
>>
>>40393184
See >>40393230 so yeah, they're a solid replacement.
They will be more limited by upper back strength than back squats though.
>>
>>40393238
Yeah, but "alot" doesn't mean anything.
Make sure you're gaining 0.3~0.5kg a week on average.
>>
I sprained my wrist pretty bad recently. Should I go to the gym anyway and just keep it light? I don't wanna miss gains...
>>
>>40393268
cut it off. lift with the stump. no rest days for the wicked sick
>>
>>40393184
Goblet squats are the squat movement done while holding a kettlebell or heavy dumbbell in front of you in line with your chest.

Not as hard as back squats but not a waste of time either. I like them a lot actually.
>>
>>40393284
oh I've seen cardio bunnies do that. it actually works?
>>
>>40393066
Yeah, it's fine to bench twice and ohp once.
The front delts are used in bench anyway.
Your front delts will not lag behind.

Lateral and rear delts may lag behind, regardless of how much you OHP, so do some exercises for those.
>>
>>40393297
No, because you can't use any decent weight.
>>
>>40393321
that's what I thought. same as overhead squats
>>
>>40393359
>>40393321
It's not the same movement as the squat so you don't get the same result, but try doing them with a kettlebell over 50lbs, keep your form perfect and tell me it's easy.
>>
>>40393395
that sounds more like a shoulder workout if I'm trying to hold up a 50
>>
I'm a 6'2" skeleton man and I'm trying to learn how to do lunges. I either fall over or my leg caves in while I'm doing then, I never really feel like I'm getting clean reps. Does anyone have any advice?
>>
>>40393423
Do them without any weights until you can stabilize yourself.

Or don't do them, lunges aren't necessary.
>>
>>40393184
yes.

Goblet squats.
Holding a Dumbell like a goblet and squat down.
let your elbows push your kness out and you can get a solid squat with a bit loading, good bracing and excelent form.

>>40393268
Go to the gym.
Tape/bandage your wrist.
do nothing that hurts.
move it a bit.

>>40393321
Pff, heavy dumbell (80-90 pounds) it can have a "little" effect.

>>40393359
It's about doing a squat:
Overheadsquats are good for mobilty, lower back and whole body strength.

>>40393403
more a upper back one, but try them !

>>40393423
start small and try to focus on pushing your front knee out of the middle.

Maybe start from the ground and try without weights.

also one leg balance excercises...
>>
>>40393466
Dude, squatting 220 isn't even enough for big legs.
80 or 90 pounds isn't gonna cut it.
>>
>>40393519
for the pattern?
and for staying thight in the upper half?

The beginning of this discusion was, if you need to squat.
My opinion is: yes, but you don't need to do it heavy.
You can.

ANd i think heavy goblet squats, Overhead or double Kettlebell-Frontsquats are a hybrid of
1. the squat pattern
2. some load for the legs nd a bit more for the upper body.

Heavy squtas have their place.
>>
Are sumo deads horrible for your knees? Seems like putting that weight on the side of the joint would be bad for you.
>>
>>40377858
If im fairly skinny and i train for strength can I still look skinny but be stronger than someone who lifts for aesthetics? I want to deceive people with my physique.
>>
>>40393743
yes

>>40393732
no
>>
>>40393732
Conventional and sumo is hard on the knees, SLDL and RDL isn't.

But you should be fine as long as you keep your knees tracking over feet, and you start with knees over heels in sumo.
>>
>>40393743
know that feel. for some reason my bicep curl max is way higher than any other max I have and I'm not a big dude either. it's incredibly satisfying picking up the barbell that somebody way bigger than me was just using for shoulder presses and curling it

don't eat a lot but lift. it'll be a little bit harder but good luck. I expect greentext stories from you later
>>
Is it possible for someone who has never worked out to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time for the first little while? Idk if I should be trying to gain or lose weight first. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, look skinny with clothes on but I have lots of extra fat. I want to look good and lose weight but I'm also struggling with exercises because I have like no muscle.
>>
>>40394035
Eat whole foods, get enough protein, eat fruit and vegetables.
Go start working out, or doing some sport.

That should be enough for the first couple of months.

The stricter you make it, the more likely it is you won't stick to it and stop all together.
Make it easy to succeed, not hard.
>>
I only do deadlifts, face pulls and weighted pull ups for back development. Is this okay?
>>
>>40394085
Aesthetically, probably not, but depends on what you want.

Strength wise, if you just care about deadlifts and pull-ups, sure.

Injury wise, could be okay, could lead to injury, depends on the person.

I'd throw some rows and other cable exercises in, but you can give just those three a try.
>>
>>40394085

more rows
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.