[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lifting With a Birth Defect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 250px-Clavicle_-_anterior_view.png (64KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Clavicle_-_anterior_view.png
64KB, 250x250px
Hey /fit/,

My friend wants to join me going to the gym. He has never lifted before and he is just bordering on underweight.

Problem is that he has a major birth defect in his clavicle. His range of motion in his arms is affected by this in a big way. He can't raise his arms above his head, and he can't do OHP/bench/rows without injuring himself. the rest of his arms work fine however, he can do bicep curls for instance.

What would you suggest I give him for programming? He can go to the gym 3 days a week and is a total beginner, but he can't do, like, half of SS's workouts.
>>
just replace OHP with front dumbbell raises

replace bench with flyes

desu if his birth defect is this bad, he should probably just stick to cardio
>>
>>40347356
can he try dips? chest flies?Cable rows?
>>
Will his shoulders rotate enough to allow him to do back squats? Wide hand position on the bar may alleviate some of that stress if he can rotate his shoulders.
Can he do seated upright chest press?

I'd say put him on a PPL split featuring squats and deadlifts; more important to his gains will be diet. Make sure he eats a shitload of food at all times. That plus heavy compound lifts should work pretty well.
>>
>>40347404
Yes. He can do back squats. Rotation is fine, just not upwards movement under strain.
>>
the best thing you can do for your friend is to get the fuck off /fit/ and go ask an actual doctor
>>
>>40347426
side lat raises for shoulders, shrugs for traps (with variations obviously)

he should still be able to get a full ROM with these exercises.
>>
Get your friend professional help from a physio before he wrecks himself.
>>
What specifically is wrong? I tore my whole SC joint and had it reconstructed so I have slight mobility limitations, is it something wrong with his joint or the actual bone?
>>
>>40349234
Absolutely correctumundo
>>
>>40347356
The first thing you should do is to not listen to any advise you get online. Ask a doctor/physician.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.