[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deadlifting back injury

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Alright /fit/, I'm a noob who screwed up and got myself injured. I am going to the doctor over the weekend but I would like an idea of what I am in for.

>3 weeks of linear gains
>my form is awesome with no pain only gains
>about to cross the 200 lb threshold and decide to read up on form to make sure I am still doing it right what with the increased stakes here
>read article talking about how he had perfect form but didn't take and hold his breath during each rep
>"my form was perfect but since I didn't engage my core I tore a spinal erector and now my life sucks"
>ohshit that's what I do
>next day time to deadlift
>Do the breath thing
>wtf I can't engage my legs
>literally since my core is so tight and braced I cannot generate lift with my legs
>end up standing straight up using back only
>was expecting to hear a pop but only felt my spine stretch
>3 days later spine still hurts
>Can't bend over without looking like an old man
>on the plus side my spinal erectors feel tip top

Please can someone explain this take a breath before deadlifting technique? My injury happened basically by accident because I literally could not engage my legs I have no idea how. My previous form I didn't use or feel my back at all.

Tl;dr
Felt good deadlifting, read an article about holding breath and bracing core during reps, tried it and injured my back. How exactly does this hold your breath thing work? How fucked am I?
>>
>>40328098
Once you have done your back, it is for life OP you should of cared more about your body limits rather then following the gains meme
>>
>>40328131
Not listening to that shit without seeing an x-ray but do you have anything to offer about deadlift form?

I wasn't lifting a weight I haven't before. Heck I was still warming up, but I just couldn't engage my legs when my whole core was feeling inflated. It was very strange.
>>
Thats called muscle soreness. You've done deadlift wth the proper form for the first time in your life, and now your back muscles are sore from actually being utilized. You used a lot more weight than your used to, and used those underworked babby muscles on a heavy w8 it wasnt ready for, so you are especially sore.
>>
This is why you should never ever adjust your form on a whim after reading a dumb blog or a fit post. Do what feels comfortable.
>>
>>40328098
>Please can someone explain this take a breath before deadlifting technique?

not really sure how to explain in english but it like ''tigthens'' the lower back so the pressure gets spread out and reduces the chance of injury
>>
Youtube chris duffin bracing
Its not about just taking a big breath.

You probably didnt do anything bad per se, probaby just muscle soreness.

T. Snapped my shit up last sunday because of bad brace and couldnt walk or bend over for 3 days without massive pain after pulling 3 plates during warmup.

Treat lightweight like heavy weight.
>>
>>40328305
And how are you feeling now?

Did take any days off at the gym or stop doing deadlifts?
>>
My advice:
1. See a physical therapist, they can actually dx your problem and give you simple at-home exercises to address it
2. Get a massage; if it is muscle soreness this may help to reduce muscular tension/move lactic acid the fuck out
3. Do not Valsava maneuver; look it up and if that's what you're doing with your breath, DON'T

I'm a 2nd semester PT student so I can't help you with shit b/c I'm just learning the basics, but I do know that the risks of Valsava are so great you'd be a goddamned fool (and possibly dead or suffering rectal prolapse) if you practice it while lifting

Good luck, anon.
>>
>>40328263
No, it's doesn't. You fuck
>>
>>40328098
Its Calles the valsalva manouver. Look it Up. Its basically filling tour torso with Airport to have more support when bracing with the core
>>
>>40328098
>holding breath and bracing core during reps

Take a deep breath into your belly and brace your abs like someone is about to punch you in the gut.
Keep holding your breath until the weight is back on the floor, do not lose tightness as you're standing up or you'll snap your shit up during the descent.
>>
>>40328365
Lol this is literally all they teach you at PT school: tell them to see a PT, rub it, don't do X it's dangerous. Useless.
>>
>>40328365
>I'm a PT
>See a PT
>Don't do X it is so fucking dangerous
>No explanations

/fit/, ladies and gentlefaggots
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.