/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I did bodybuilding for 3 years, then 2 years of power-lifting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: trump-1-659x330.jpg (33KB, 659x330px) Image search: [Google]
trump-1-659x330.jpg
33KB, 659x330px
I did bodybuilding for 3 years, then 2 years of power-lifting.

Despite getting much stronger, I lost about 20% of my physique gains (and a few KG of muscle) in the last 2 years, more so in other areas like delts, arms and calves.

Now I'm back to bodybuilding bro-style training for the last few weeks and my size is already starting to come back, and I'm getting leaner again.

I can't believe I fell for the powerlifting meme. You guys actually fucking lied by saying you can look just like a bodybuilder by just powerlifting, biggest load of crock.
>>
>>40289289
The trick is that you do a BBing split, but with heavy, main compounds. So the only thing you would change would be the weight and rep range for the big lifts. Deadlift, Squat, Bench and OHP.
>>
>>40290485
Give me an example?
>>
>>40290505
You still stick to the high volume approach, but with the Bench lets say, instead of doing 4 sets 12 reps you do 5 sets 5 reps w/ a heavier weight. But you stick to the high volume for the rest of the workout. So flyes would still be 4x12, dumbbell press would still be 4x12 etc.
>>
>>40290485
Op here

I tried that during my early bbing days. It was shit. Strength in compounds were never properly advancing due to having to expend so much energy on isolations. And the heavier barberll training left my nervous system tired which made me less able to do proper effort on isolations.

I had far better results with bbing by just focusing on 100% bro training with lots of reps and exercise variety. For powerlifting I had far better strength progress results by keeping it simple and only doing a few basic lifts.
>>
>>40290549
I feel like mixing Low and high volume on the same day everyday doesn't work that well.
>>
>>40290549
Not for everyone I guess, I mean the only thing people have in common is that we're all different.
>>
>>40290485
no dumb fuck ass

you do compounds in the normal strength range and progress on them but do a lot of volume isolations
>>
>>40290559
>>40290568
Yeah it's weird

I can do sets of 30 sets of 8-20 reps in one session in 60-80minutes and be fine.

But if I start a session with a heavy compound with sets of <5 reps I get gassed out within 30minutes and feel drained for several days.

A few sets of Low rep compounds just fuck my shit up. My nervous system does not enjoy it at all.
>>
>>40290636
yeh and doing lots of volume while also trying to do compounds heavy caused me a lot of overuse injuries

if i only cared about size 100% id still do PPL but light weight. hypertrophy gains doing tons of isolations can't be beat by compounds no matter what these dumb asses say
>>
>>40290675
I actually had a convo about this with a few people at the gym today. All of them had done powerlifting in the past and switched to bodybuilding. The most common theme we all had was that powerlifting (although it got us all strong) was actually impacting on other aspects of life too much, and we all shared the same experience of that not being an issue with bodybuilding style training, hence why we all leaned towards it instead of sticking with powerlifting. Also there was another common issue is that we all shared the problem of lack of delts, arms and calves while powerlifting.

End result

Powerlifting PROS
>far better strength gains

Powerlifting CONS
>certain muscle groups lag behind
>taxing on body and cns

Bodybuilding PROs
>far better for overall body symmetry
>not taxing on body and cns
>more fun because far more variety allowed (and even greatly encouraged)

Bodybuilding CONS
>won't get anywhere near as strong compared to someone who just focuses on the big 3
>>
>>40289289
>Strength in compounds were never properly advancing due to having to expend so much energy on isolations.
I'm just going to ask but you aren't retarded enough to do isolations before your compounds, right?
Depending on your answer I might have to post anime girls making disappointed faces
>>
>>40290760
for sure

also strictly strength DOES NOT equal anywhere near the size you get from training like a bodybuilder

>more fun because far more variety allowed (and even greatly encouraged

this is also a huge plus. also the risk of getting injured is a lot less with bodybuilder, although its not too bad with either
>>
>>40289289
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PnBLSCeR-o
>greatest bodybuilder of all time does powerlifting casually
rlly mkes u fink

You're obviously supposed to be doing accessory work to train hypertrophy. Nobody's saying you can only do bench, deadlift, and squats.

Also
>no pictures
>no graphs showing lean mass loss
>no raw data from calipers and scale.
>>
>>40290765
Yes of course. I did the whole POWER and HYPER days on my PPL back in the day.

I always started with a 3x5 or 5x5 or 1x5, heaviest and most taxing exercises first, isolations from hardest to easist last. Generally starting with a heavy bench or squats and generally ending with facepulls or something.

That said, that style of training had me feeling drained all week. Any kind of low rep training fucks with my isolations and life in general.

Bodybuilding has much more flexibility. Strength training requires you to be well fed, perfect sleep, very little life stresses. All because strength training is far more taxing on the cns. Whereas with bodybuilding, you don't even need to be well fed and sleep properly to recover and progress with it.

At least that's my experience and it's shared by many guys at my gym who've done both styles of training.
>>
>>40290860
He would have been the greatest bodybuilder despite the powerlifting.

The fact is the vast majority of bodybuilders don't do any strength training. I'd be willing to bet no more than 5-10% of competitive body builders (at all levels) even ever do less than 8 rep sets.

Don't fall for the meme of niche people on YouTube who do both and think that's the norm.

My gym has a fuck load of competitors and they all do the bro'ist of brosplits with all high rep pump shit.
>>
>>40290916
>I'd be willing to bet no more than 5-10% of competitive body builders (at all levels) even ever do less than 8 rep sets
You do realize you can still do powerlifting with >5 reps?

Smolov Mesocycle for example has you do sets of 9, sets of 7, and then the more traditional sets of 5 and 3.
Following the Texas method style of programming, you could do volume day Monday (where you do sets of 8-12), an intermediate day Wednesday, and a intensive day Friday where you test out your max.

Literally nobody is saying you have to be the best powerlifter in the world and the best bodybuilder in the world. But being mediocre in both is better than being mediocre in one.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.