[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 31

File: large.png (685KB, 500x694px) Image search: [Google]
large.png
685KB, 500x694px
Old one will soon reach Valhalla.

Once you become an intermediate lifter and have reaped all you can from a beginner routine, is following an actual program necessary to 'make it' if your goal is aesthetics? Could I not just train instinctively? So long as diet is exactly as it should be would I not still make gains following basic principles like progressive overload?
>>
>>40269801
>Could I not just train instinctively?

I guess you could, if your instincts were on point and had the perfect level of self awareness and control to progress. But you probably don't. So you should use a routine.
>>
>>40269828
Control to progress? What do you mean?
I mean, I could just look at a standard upper body routine and see, okay, I need a chest press movement, an OHP, a rowing movement and pull ups. Hmm then sprinkle in accessories. Would that really lead to disaster?
>>
>>40269801
How do you keep yourself motivated if your only goal is aesthetics? Are you at the very least planning on competing in a body building show once a year?
>>
>>40269879
I'm pretty motivated. Lots of people lift just to look good and consequently feel good about themselves. I just want to transform my body and look awesome on the beach. How about you? Any kind of transformation is an achievement in itself
>>
>>40269801
Do texas method and shut the fuck up
>>
>>40269954
For aesthetics?
>>
>>40270015
Every other tuesday do a bodybuilding day
Also do weighted chinups on your intensity and MAYBE your volume days
>>
>>40270051
I'll consider it anon. I'm still on my beginner program but should be finishing up with it soon.
What's your opinion on the OP?
>>
>>40269801
24 hour fasts, yay or not while cutting? I've heard of things like eat stop eat etc. What does /fit/ think? Discomfort isn't a problem for me. I could do it.
>>
File: sample.jpg (52KB, 898x307px) Image search: [Google]
sample.jpg
52KB, 898x307px
Not my body, but currently my pecs are in a state similar to de left phase.

My question is, getting rid of that protruding boobic blob is a matter of more cutting or specific chest exercise?
>>
>>40270466
retract your shoulder blades,done
>>
>>40270466
Yes getting rid of chest fat requires losing fat. Astonishing really...
>>
>>40270405
Bump
>>
What's a bog standard ab routine I can follow?
>>
i spent 5 months in an intense academy/bootcamp style environment.

got really good at running and moderately good at bodyweight exercises.

what should i do now? lift? continue body weight? its been about 4 weeks since ive done anything mostly because i was drained from the experience but i can feel myself starting to waste away now and id like to get in very good shape.

thanks.
>>
>>40269801
Imagine if legertha made you into her pusy slave and you had no say in matter! wow.
>>
>>40271200
:O bro...
>>
Good replacement for t-bar row?
>>
>>40269801
What is a bro split?
>>
During my runs i'm stopping most of the time from pain in my calves rather than running out of energy, what's my issue?
>>
File: 1341446494362.jpg (118KB, 480x700px) Image search: [Google]
1341446494362.jpg
118KB, 480x700px
If your doing rack pulls and RDLs, is there any point to DLing from a size/mass building perspective?
>>
How do I stop under eating during a cut? Eating isn't fun when I'm not trying to bulk I don't really want to eat too much
>>
>>40271541
A tipy of routine where you focus on a specific part of the body everyday of the week as opposed to routines like SS or SL where you go 3 times a week and do full body exercises.
>>
Bump>>40269801
>>
Is there any harm in eating ground beef everyday (300g) to keep up with my macros?

Is the lower sperm count and test associated with eating a lot of red meat just a meme?
>>
Would be good to do a routine like pic related 6 days a week?

Theoretically I think it would be like doing a full body 3x a week, plus lots of accessories.
>>
>>40271718
Yeah, Traps, Glutes and Hams all get big with DL.
>>
>>40272099
>Is there any harm in eating ground beef everyday (300g) to keep up with my macros?
None, if you eat lots of fibers too.

>Is the lower sperm count and test associated with eating a lot of red meat just a meme?
ROFL yes. If anything it's the other way round. The creatine and B vitamins in meat will get you more manly.
>>
What is a good BB routine after doing SS?
It should have all the main lifts and be 3 days a week.
>>
>>40272193
if you enjoyed SS and aren't afraid to do something hard then Texas Method is the obvious choice. It's significantly harder than SS, though, and if your rest and diet isn't in check you'll crash and burn fairly quickly.
>>
Plates are thought of as 20kg..
But the heaviest plate is 25kg

What gives?

Also, are imperial plates actually the same weight as metric ones? 20k vs 45lbs
Or just close-ish
>>
File: 1482911123782.png (146KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1482911123782.png
146KB, 1100x1100px
>>40272141
How do you work DLs into a PPL or U/L effectively?
>>
I mainly lie on weekends. I may walk a couple miles to store or stuff like that. How bad is this taking in consideration that I do cardio everyday during the week adding up to about 50km total of running? I also do Texas method on M/W/F.

I just feel so quilty just relaxing on weekends.
>>
>>40271191
I would say get a lifting routine down and do bodyweight on your off days.
>>
>>40269801
Thoughts on training instinctively?
>>
>>40272369
Either legs or pull day; do heavy DL one day, light RDL another day.
>>
>>40272123
Is this a good routine?
>>
File: 1474317173135.png (124KB, 750x780px) Image search: [Google]
1474317173135.png
124KB, 750x780px
>>40272441
ty
>>
Can someone show me what a typical leg day looks like in a PPL routine?
>>
Lifting with a cold at home, is it worth it to rest up a week than have 2 or 3 shitty workouts?
>>
How can I prevent shinsplints from running? Every time I go faster I get them
>>
>AxBxAxx
>BxAxBxx

Is the extra x really necessary? Can I just lift every other day? It seems simpler that way.
>>
FOR FUCKS SAKE, STOP MAKING NEW THREADS WHEN THE CURRENT ONE ISN'T EVEN AT THE BUMP LIMIT

Fucking newfags
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-05-09-01-42.png (522KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-05-09-01-42.png
522KB, 720x1280px
>>
>>40272589
people have different opinions on this. I say it's better to work out anyway because it makes you feel better and you do better than you'd think

>>40272650
make sure your form is good, don't have shitty old shoes, don't heel strike. otherwise you just have to rest until they go away and then run until they come back, then rest again etc. your legs will get stronger
>>
File: image.png (126KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
126KB, 750x1334px
>>40272343

A 20 kg plate is about 44lbs and a 45lb plate is about 20.5 kg
>>
>>40273020
Not the guy you were replying to but any good recommendations for running shoes? I went for a run this morning as opposed to riding a stationary bike at home (I bike at home after work during the week because it's too dark and cold for my liking) and the bottoms of my feet where it arches began feeling very sharp and stiff. My shoes are some old pair of Nikes I've had for 6 years and are falling apart and I think my foot was hurting because of my shoes.
>>
File: image.png (99KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
99KB, 750x1334px
>>40272343
>>40273124
>>
>>40273124
But are the actual plates different too?
They are either;
Rounded to the nearest kg/lbs and standardised
Or, weigh what they say they weigh and an imperial plate is slightly heavoer than a metric one

Is an american who lifts lmao 4pl8 stronger than an european?
>>
I got a mild cold (sore throat, headache, etc.). Will going to the gym make me feel better or worse?
>>
So, for months I have been having a weird issue. My left side of my lower back (picture related) has been being sore and tight all the time. The tightness causes my body to lean to one side. Making one shoulder higher than the other etc. Gives me problems with proper posture.

Now last week I finally figured out what causes it after months. I was sick for a week and I didnt lift for a week. I noticed the pain was gone, and my shoulders looked level again. Then I went to the gym and what do you know, soreness and tightness returned to that side next day and shoulders were uneven again. And Im pretty sure it was caused by squats all this time.

What do I do, remove squats from my routine? Replace it with something else? Have someone videotape my form? Im not sure what Im doing wrong but this cant continue
>>
File: 234234234423423.jpg (20KB, 300x213px) Image search: [Google]
234234234423423.jpg
20KB, 300x213px
>>40273483

Fuck I forgot the picture, this is the area
>>
File: 1484287554251.png (308KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484287554251.png
308KB, 640x480px
Hey there fellas, two things...

So 2 weeks ago I re-injured myself after only lifting for 3 weeks after taking a whole year off to recover from nerve related issues when squatting. Pretty much, whenever I high bar squat the barbell triggers some nerves which fire off throughout my entire body when I flex my core. I used to think think had something to do with with the bar being placed on my neck and I was half right as high bar would make my arm go a little numb but yesterday after successfully low bar squatting and finishing my routine with planks I managed to replicate the shooting nerve thing by flexing my core after the workout and tucking my chin back during the planks.

On a scale of 1-10 how fucked up is my spine?

Will I ever recover?

Also this is the current routine I'm doing, what do you guys think:

5x5 LB Squats
3x8 SLD
3x5 BB Row
3x8 Shoulder Press
3x Negative Chinups
3x8 Ez Bar Tricep Extension
4x Planks

Workout B
5x5 Deadlift
3x8 Front Squat
3x5 BB Bench
3x8 BB Upright Row
3xF Push Ups (Can't even do negative dips yet)
3x8 BB Curls
4x Planks
>>
cheap micro plates or an alternative to them?
>>
>>40273483
P-pls respond. I don't like skipping my routine but I don't wanna over exert myself either.
>>
>>40273691
Sorry this >>40273421
Is me.
>>
>>40273691
Sounds like your form is off for squats. Ask someone to spot you to make sure the bar is lying evenly.
>>
>>40273714
Meant for>>40273483
>>
>>40272214
Will I get big with the routine? I wanted something with more volume? But thanks
>>
File: trappy tm.png (151KB, 1150x713px) Image search: [Google]
trappy tm.png
151KB, 1150x713px
>>40274112
Not the anon you're replying to but yes.
Texas Method has plenty of volume. pic related
>>
I want to start doing SL 5x5 Mon, Wedn and Fri but I also would like to keep playing soccer on Tuesdays, Would playing soccer affect my routine in any way? I would still have 3 days just for resting
>>
I recently learned that the girl I'm trying to fuck has a fiance, but she tries to keep it a secret from me. She doesn't wear an engagement ring, gets touchy feely, never brings him up when I try to spur her on about it, tells me about her sexual fantasies, etc.

Anyway, I'm meeting up with her next week and want to get it in. I remember hearing /fit/ say the trick is to absolve her of all guilt and shift the blame to yourself for her cheating. How do I do this? I need examples of exact things I would say word for word when she says "B-but I have a boyfriend" because I'm really that autistic.

fitness related because I'll be engaging that glute and core in an aerobic fashion
>>
Two questions

1. Can incline DB bench press + weighted Chest Dips replace flat dB/BB bench press?

2. Are deadlifts needed for aesthetics or can they be skipped?
>>
>>40274161
Be a bro and tell the fiancé,
Then go out for beers and have a wingwan4lyf

Going foward with this knwoing she has a fiance doesnt make you as bad as her,
But doesnt make you not an asshole
>>
What exactly is the point of fish oil? Seen a lot of praise for it on here, and I've been taking it for a while because why not, but I'm curious what exactly it actually does

Also
Is it useful to do a short workout for abs and forearms pretty much every day? Or should I do both less often and more exercises? I've heard both from people and I'm not sure what's best
>>
>>40269854
No, that would be fine.
>>
>>40274438
but the ass is fat. If someone is getting their dick wet it might as well be me.

Besides, he probably wouldn't believe me if I told him. He's really meek, and shy, and kind of a pushover.
>>
I have like no obliques. When I'm flexing, I can grab like under my abs with ease. On a cut there is also a gap under my rib cage. How do I train them so they pop out?
>>
Reg Park's guide from the sticky lists "Wrist work" and "Calves"
What exercises should I do for them?
Calves is pretty straight forward it seems, but wrist work?
>>
>>40274658
I usually do one of three workouts:
1) Do a standing side bend while holding a weight on one side
2) Use the thing you use for hyperextensions, lay on your side and use your obliques
3) Grab a bar, load some weight, and start twisting your torso
>>
How does my leg day look (PPL)

BB squats 4x5-6
Leg extensions 3x10-12
Leg curls 3x10-12
Romanian deadlifts 2x5-7
Calves
>>
>>40274764
>Leg extensions
This is a terrible exercise (open chain, levered on knee); and its little effective, if effective at all. You may want to replace it for Leg Press, Lunges or simply more Squats with lower weight.

I prefer do to RDL as 1st or 2nd exercise of the day, bc it's low reps/high intensity. That's more a personal preference tho.

Other than that, it's good leg day.
>>
>>40270405
Curious about this as well.
>>
>>40269801

>show about Vikings
>hire canadian ukranian peasant

Rly tickles those thought wrinkles
>>
>>40274676
Wrist work:
> Wrist Curls
> Reverse Wrist Curls
> Finger Curls

The Wrist Curls/Finger Curls should always be paired with Reverse Wrist Curls, or it will result in imbalances.

Calves:
> Calf raises, any type.
>>
>>40269801
reachig low bf levels and to cut at 15% i need to eat only 1700kcals, maintenance ones are 2000.

should I do, once per week, a day where I eat at maintenance(those extra calories being from carbs) ?
>>
>>40274821
Ukranians have Viking blood

Look up the Varangians/Rus

Russia itself is named after Vikings.
>>
>>40273644

Buy 2.5lb weighted ankle/wrist braces
Wrap one around the middle of the bar, I got mine for $15 in Canadia land. Probably a lot cheaper in the US.
>>
File: obese.jpg (25KB, 366x600px) Image search: [Google]
obese.jpg
25KB, 366x600px
>>40270405
Not worth it IMO, unless you're seriously obese like pic related; in that case, drink water, tea and vitamins and you should do ok.

For overweight people it's just better to do Intermittent Fasting, and cut all refined sugars (sugar, flour, bread, cakes, soda, juices etc).

If you're reasonably in shape (~20% bf), just lift a lot and eat less calories.
>>
REAL NOOB HOURS: I'm serious.

The bar used to deadlift is the same we use to bench press?
I feel it may be a dumb question, but i just want to make things right. Is there any difference?
>>
>>40272441
i am pulling heavy on both days and its no issue
i do 4 plates for 5x5 monday and 3 and 1/2 plate for 5x10 on friday and my back,glute, and trap development is really great.
i am using belt and straps tho
>>
what is a good replacement for t-bar rows?
>>
>>40275007
The machine or landmine? I think the free weighted t-bar is the sickest back workout next to dumbbell rows. For the machine t bar/chest supported thingy, try seated cable rows with different grips.
>>
>>40274562
Bump
Anyone?
>>
>>40274932
No squatting? I fucking despise squats, but I love DLs (RDL, trap, snatch, sumo, conventional, do them all). Wish I could get good quad development without them and just focus on pulling shit off the floor.
>>
>>40274562
>What exactly is the point of fish oil?
It has Omega 3 fats. That's it.

> Is it useful to do a short workout for abs and forearms pretty much every day? Or should I do both less often and more exercises?
Both ways are good. You need lots of volume and not much weight for those.
>>
Got a question for you guys. I am back in school after a 8 month job placement. It was a reasonably physical job and not that I am sitting on my ass ~8 hours a day, I am starting to gain a bit of weight back (about 10 pounds in the last 2 months) that I was loosing for the last year or so. I am watching what I eat and the problem I am having is trying to feel full whilst keeping my macros from being 70% carbs.

With my schedule and situation, I can't really add an hour of light cardio into my gym sessions so should I just have an entire gym day devoted to cardio?
>>
>>40274807
Thanks I'll replace leg extensions for leg press and move RDLs further up. Thanks!
>>
My pre and post workout drinks have creatine (Didn't realize until today), are there any risks in taking this much?
>>
>>40275098
Weight is solved by diet

Gotta change it up if you're more sedentary
Maybe more vegetable based snacks instead of anything else
And drink more water to fill yourself stomach
Eventually your hunger levels will readjust
>>
>>40274932
Yeah, I meant light in a sense you can pull off more reps, not exactly light weights.

>>40275043
> Trap Squats
> Hack Squats

Btw, I don't think Squats are irreplaceable, especially not if you're doing lots of DL. Just do Leg Presses so Quads won't lag behind.
>>
File: 200.gif (838KB, 347x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
838KB, 347x200px
Just learned that I'm gonna be in a wedding after one of the groomsmen dropped out, and I am no where near where I want to be. The wedding is in 6 weeks. Obviously, for long term, I want to balance strength and cardio. But if I'm trying to shed weight in six weeks, how should I change my routine? Mostly cardio? Keep the balance? Just eat nothing but broccoli and menthols?
>>
>>40274932
i squat on tuesday and saturday also in 5x5 and 5x10 range , its working so far and i am like a six months in and no sing of overtraining at all, but if you hate squats i recommend hack deadlift from the pins ,lunges with the barbell on the ground , RDLs and box jumps
>>
>>40275147
get dehydrated the day before
and use drug to lmose faster
>>
>>40275136

It's the hunger as well as dragging my ass. I am still a fatass but I was 270 or so and now down to 210-215. I just feel better all day if I have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast rather than 3 eggs and a brotein shake.

I do need more veggies but I live in the frozen arctic tundra of Ontario Canada and veggies are fucking expensive during the winter.
>>
Will benzos fuck with my gains?
>>
Is there some truth to the whole no carbs in the evening thing? I´ve heard that it´s benefecial to your weight loss to you if you go without carbs for some hours.

Bonus question: what do you eat in case of munchies?
>>
Not necessarily /fit/related, but it's self-improvement, so whatever.
How do I get back in the mood/habit of reading books? I used to read a lot, but ever since I started uni, got a laptop and moved in with my gf, I find myself only watching youtube or shitposting in my free time. Sometimes it's due to being tired of reading due to too many essays and such, but oftentimes it's just lazyness.
How do I get my reading habit back?
>>
>>40275274
I like to read before going to bed.
Go to bed an hour earlier and read
It helps warm up the sheets too
>>
>>40274679
Thanks, but
>Grab a bar, load some weight, and start twisting your torso
???
I'm doing twisted leg raised for 6 month now, but it doesn't seem to help
>>
>>40275249
calories in calories out, nothing else matters
>>
has anyone ever experienced shin splints from deads or squats? I think some of my shin splints are due to them, but I'm not sure and it's making me scared to do them.
>>
>>40274930
Same bar
>>
>>40275360
I wouldn't think so

Aren't shin splints caused by shock and stress, like rough jogging?

Shouldn't be any shock on your shins during squats/diddlies
>>
What should the diameter on the plates be? I noticed that the 25kg plates are slightly bigger than the 20kg plates, and to my understanding 20kg is "a plate" ie the standard.

How big can a plate be before it's cheating to use it on deadlifts?
>>
How do I convince my chain smoking sister to eat and start lifting? She barely eats or does any excercise
>>
>>40275487
Isn't a 20.45 kg a "pl8"?
>>
>>40275466
Thank you, sir.
>>
>>40275274
You need discipline. Start small, read 10- 20 pages a day, pick up some short stories or plays. Read something that you might enjoy, but preferably a classic.

You're main problem however, is wasting your time on Youtube and 4chan. There's nothing wrong with spending some time on either of those sites, but it can quickly turn into addiction. As I said, you need discipline. Focus on wasting less time (because going cold turkey rarely works)
>>
>>40275510
20kg/45lbs are usually considered "pl8" because it's a single plate. Which is strange to me. At least in europe we have 25kg plates available in pretty much every gym.
>>
Natty, doing squats 5 times a week. Anything wrong with that? Just started doing it recently and seeing progression/gains but not sure if it'll be good in the long run.
>>
File: 1484600677262.jpg (14KB, 328x328px) Image search: [Google]
1484600677262.jpg
14KB, 328x328px
>>40273599

pls respond.
>>
File: 1461435706413.png (121KB, 1050x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1461435706413.png
121KB, 1050x1000px
Which routine is better for aesthetics and strength. Pic related or /fit/'s GSLP ?
>>
I'm a 18 year old who recently finished high school, I'm working at a restaurant now taking calls and stuff, but it's really shitty, they make me work 6 days a week, pay me 9/hr (florida, barely above minimum wage) and don't let me do any overtime.
Is there any job or something that pays better? I need suggestions, I don't mind doing heavy or physical work but yeah I want something better before I start college next year.
>>
>>40275605
Probably gonna have recovery issues once you start hitting heavier weights.
>>
>>40274163
1. Different exercises, bb bench is king for strength
2. Deadlifts are good for posterior chain, and hamstrings. Transfers over to back squats and over all strength builder.
>>
>>40275590
I think 20kg+ used to be a standard max
"Newer" more up to date gyms have 20kg+ weights, but older ones seemed to max out at 20
>>
>>40275616
Both routine were written by trappy, lel.

/fit/ GLSP is good for increasing the weights every session. I'm not of a fan of this, even for beginner, I think that weekly progression like in your pic related (TM) is more than adequate. Also, you get to do way more volume, which is great for someone looking into aesthetics. Both could be considered an inbetween strength/hypertrophy routines, still.
>>
>>40275628
Thank you, that makes sense. Think I should just cut down on the frequency the farther along I get?
>>
>>40275289
My bad. After you load the weight you're going to load it on your body the same way you would for a squat. Then you twist while standing up. This will basically do the same thing as a twisted leg raise but will add more resistance due to the weight.
>>
>>40275712
I'd recommend you look into a respectable 5day beginner routine cause I can't tell you shit that I can back up.

Personally I can only recommend your standard SL/SS 3/4 days a week shit cause I know how it works. But if you wanna do 5 days I can't stop you. But I can't advice you either.
>>
best way to train for arm wrestles

>inb4 arm wrestles

something with weights i can do in the gym preferably
>>
>>40275730
Oh, I was just confused because I've never seen it before and it sounds too easy, but I will try it, thanks!
>>
>>40275755
Curious for an answer here

No matter how strong I get I can't seem to do anything but get dominated when I party with childhood friends from my hometown and they challenge me to arm wrestle. They don't even lift but their arm strength is out of this world. All they fuckin did was play with tractors and shit as kids and bam their arms are now top tier
>>
How can I improve my cardio quickly?
>>
Impracticality aside, what would it take to get into the world IPF powerlifting meet, or train oly lifts for the next olympics?

Assuming after 1 year of strength training my stats are:

315 lb squat
345 lb deadlift
205 lb bench
@ ~151 lbs and gaining weight.

Im just curious to see what /fit/izens would think, pls no bully.
>>
1 month ago i stopped going to the gym 6 days a week and started going 2 times a week and i noticed im a lot weaker now than i was a month ago

is this normal, can i reverse this?, i cant go to the gym 6 times a week anymore :(
>>
>>40275755
>>40275868
Arm wrestling is more about technique than you think

There's that gif out there of a DYEL beating some huge guy without even breaking a sweat
>>
>>40275914
Depends on the routine. A 6 day routine done over three weeks isn't gonna work.
>>
What would be good back exercises for my pull day in PPL.

Can't do deadlifts since my gym is shit. (except in smith machine, are smith DL any good?)

Currently I'm doing cable rows and lat pull down but those seem pretty shit just own their own
>>
>>40275945
saturday:
shoulders, chest and 3 leg excersises
Sunday: tris, biceps, and back and 3 leg excersises
>>
>>40275950
They don't have a single bar for deadlifts?
No bench press either?
>>
>>40275662
okay thank you, ill stick with the routine in the pic
>>
>>40271718
Deadlift release hgh from total cns stimulation.
>>
>>40275950
I don't think deadlifting in a smith machine is worth wasting time on.

Pullups, chinups, barbell rows(I seriously hope you have actual barbells in your gym), Dumbell rows. Calisthenics have bodyweight rows, which can get pretty advanced and really hard.

Weighted chinups/pullups are my absolute favorite.
>>
>>40269801
why is a protein tub cold inside when you open it,like noticeably colder. Noticed it in the summer.
Isopure
>>
>>40275963
I'm not personally a big fan of only being able to workout on saturday/sunday. I can only say what I personally think here, but I recommend you look up if there's any designed routine for this kind of split cause I don't know shit.

If you're only gonna work out those two days you better hit it fucking hard. Legs back to back isn't gonna recover. I'd either do a upper/lower body split. Chest/Back/Shoulders/Arms - Quads/Hamstrings/Abs/Lower back(/calves). Or move back or shoulders to the leg day.

Again I'm just some random lifter guy who only knows his 4day split. You're gonna have to look yourself for something more tailored.
>>
What are other ways to apply progressive overload other than increasing the weight?
>>
>>40276090
If you don't have the weights, buy them. Or get a gym membership. If your gym doesn't have enough weights you switch gym.

Otherwise you start a calisthenics routine because there's no other way. More reps doesn't substitute more weight.
>>
>>40276136
No I know I have the weights I'm in a gym. What I'm asking is, what other ways can you apply progressive overload?
>>
File: 1480071471480.gif (2MB, 245x276px) Image search: [Google]
1480071471480.gif
2MB, 245x276px
Why does my friend keep saying that machines are just as good as free weights?
>>
>>40275985
They do but there isn't really place to do it and it seems like kind of place where deadlifting allowed either.
>>40276008
I'm gonna try barbell rows next time. I'd prefer dumbbells but there aren't any heavier ones than 45lbs.
>>
>>40276175
He's afraid of hurting himself and he's trying to justify himself
>>
Can i do ppl as an intermediate lifter ?
>>
>>40276175
I must also add, he went from fat to skinnyfat and calls himself fit. Should I get new friends?
>>
>>40276195
Yes
>>
>>40276195
You can do it as a beginner if you want, I think that's what reddit likes instead of SS
>>
>>40276204
You need to show him the way by the light of your superior gains
>>
I've been lifting regularly for a year, it's been going good, but I want to start a martial art as well, something along the lines of kickboxing or muay thai.

Will that interfere with my gym progress and gains? I think it's yes to both, but can I somehow manage it if I eat more???
>>
>>40276236
Thanks, bro.
>>
Any routine similar to the Texas Method that has me squatting two times, instead of three a week?

I've noticed from experience that my knees are garbage, and more than twice a week will build up injuries. Twice a week and deadlifts ontop are fine, but three squat days and I start to break apart.
>>
>>40276248
You're gonna need to eat more, yes. But you should be fine as long as you recover well.
>>
>>40276248
Well you can still progress but much more slowly, same as if you do any intensive non resistance training activity. You will almost certainly have to eat more, unless you want to start losing weight or are currently in a large surplus.
>>
There are two episodes of my 600 lbs life I'm interested in, but I don't have the names. One is a woman who actually makes a lot of progress and is looking bretty good right now. The other is a woman from season two, she screams at the doctor and quits the program (you see her in the prolog of every episode of season two I think) can anyone help?
>>
best whey for a bulking poorfag?
>>
>>40276253
Bill star, or Madcow's 5x5, check them out. It's just like Texas method, but different variations.
>>
>>40276309
the cheapest
>>
>>40276309
Myprotein sales.
>>
>>40276315
But they both have me squat every workout.
>>
File: couch-to-5k.jpg (101KB, 554x1113px) Image search: [Google]
couch-to-5k.jpg
101KB, 554x1113px
>>40269801
How does the GI of food mix into proper dieting and eating right?
>>
can I use rowing machines as my only source of cardio?
>>
>>40275662
Wouldn't the extra volume give me overtraining?
>>
>>40275662
Kek, no. To overtrain, you probably would have to skip rest days for a couple weeks.
>>
>>40276544
Meant to: >>40276519
>>
I feel like I'm not doing enough work during my work-outs. Should I be doing more lifts, more sets, or more weight?
>>
>>40276723
>Should I be doing more lifts, more sets
hypertrophy

>more weight
strength

you call it
>>
File: poliquin arms.png (1MB, 1284x2333px) Image search: [Google]
poliquin arms.png
1MB, 1284x2333px
Is this legit? Sounds like a good arms routine.

> pic related
>>
>>40276443
So mix it up to remove the squat on day 3 with something else, I did something like OHP or incline chest on the 3rd day of squatting cuz my knees hurt too.

You may also add a fourth day for arms or stalling groups if you like.
>>
I'm currently 5 pounds over the standard weight reccomended for someone my height.
should i focus on cutting them down until I am on my standard weight or should i start lifting so i can gain muscles?
>>
>>40269954
texas method is garbage

do Sheiko intermediate
>>
>>40271718
honestly, no probably not

heavy rack pulls alone will confer all the upper body benefits of a deadlift

RDLs hit hamstring and glutes well enough for aesthetics

you won't have the raw strength a deadlift builds but if you only want aesthetics who gives a shit about that
>>
>>40277117
Considering that it was designed for a heavily enhanced lifter, and I presume you're natty as fuck, it is probably far excessive in terms of volume.
>>
>>40277150
Lift, 5 pounds are nothing, and you probably have a skinnyfat body.
Read the sticky and start SS, you will see tremendous changes in your body for the first 4 months.
>>
>>40277195
Yeah, I've considered spreading it through my ppl, replacing current arms isolation (biceps/pull, triceps/push).
>>
>>40275742
That's all good, thank you for the advice bb
>>
>>40277117
there is no way i could survive this

i would get tendonitis in my biceps and triceps immediately
>>
To preface my question, I weigh 147lbs and today I hit 175lbs 3x5 on bench after 4 months of lifting. My squat is only 170lbs 3x5 ATG. How is it my chest and arms are progressing better and now stronger than my legs?
>>
I have an issue with my legs that means I cannot perform squatting motions (so I cannot squat or deadlift which I'm rather annoyed). I can however use seated exercise machines such as leg extensions and leg curls.

Can I substitute squats in a brosplit with leg extensions and leg curls?
What would I substitute deadlifts with? T-bar rows and what else?
>>
>>40269801
I'm on a psmf and I cracked and ate Chinese food. I immediately forced myself to throw up in the bathroom.

Do I have an eating disorder? I felt guilty for even letting carbs in my mouth but it tasted so good.

I'm cooking 7 eggs as we speak.
>>
5x5 routine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npsDClNTrKc [Open]
or
allpros Beginner Routine http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Looking for a beginner routine with the ultimate goal of building an aesthetic body, any recomendations will be appreciated.
>>
>>40277744
Nah you're good bro.
>>
How many minutes of planking a day is good for working out the core properly?
>>
>>40277791
Get off the computer, mom
>>
File: 1463268886103.jpg (120KB, 768x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1463268886103.jpg
120KB, 768x1010px
>>40269801
ways to increase test levels?
ALSO do cold showers + nofap even work? I've heard both sides.
>>
>>40277850
I was told here on /fit/ that the best way to work out the core was planks. If not, what is it?
>>
I want to get a resistance band for hip flexor stretching off a squat rack. I'm 160lbs.

Do I get green goes up to 125lbs or one to my own weight? Guessing you dont need full weight on a stretch
>>
>>40272960
AxBxAxBxA is fine as long as you feel like you're recovering between workouts
>>
>>40277936
Workout, sleep, get enough zinc, go vegan.
>>
>>40277936
All nofap does is make you feel hornier and therefore more aggressive. I think it has a beneficial effect on test for a while, but your body acclimates
>>
>>40275203
at therapeutic doses, probably not
>>
Anybody ever do viking presses with the calf machine? Will I look like a retard? Should I just do landmine presses?
>>
Should I buy the one or two pronged inzer belt?
>>
>>40278505
Fuck I meant 10mm or 13mm
>>
I have a babyface, will gaining lean muscle mass make my face wider and more attractive?
>>
What would be the fastest way to drop body fat? I currently weigh about 150lbs with probably about 15% bodyfat and I want to drop down to around 10%. Are there any supplements you guys would recommend that is not DNP to help burn fat?
>>
File: Iron Giant Slav.jpg (6KB, 250x152px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Giant Slav.jpg
6KB, 250x152px
is yohimbe the real deal or will it fuck me up. I have 22% body fat and I've been cutting for about 3 months. I've lost 20 pounds and 5% of bodyfat
>>
>>40273163
I just got some nike flyknit free runs. Fucking amazing so light and comfy really good cushioning. Check online or at a store and if you don't wanna wear them out and use them just for running they have really ugly ass colors for 60 bucks. I got some hideous blue green. Best to go to a store try them on.
>>
Anyone do hiit? Thinking of adding it to my cardio routine of running and jogging? My question is it really worth the hype or is it just hype? Gonna do alot of running this week. Elbow injury gonna keep me from lifting for week or two. Gonna try still do some ab work
>>
>>40278830
I noticed that as my natural test levels rose my jaw became more pronounced because my jaw muscles grew.
>>
I'm new to making my own routines and want to know if this routine for leg days is stupid. I'll be training legs three times a week (Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays). Here is what it looks like.

Monday
>3x10 squats at a lighter weight (for me)
Accessories
>3x12 quad extension
>3x10 leg press
>3x10 calf raises

Wednesday
>3x5 deadlifts at a heavier weight (for me)
>Accessories

Friday
>3x5 squats at a heavier weight (for me)
>Accessories

My plan is to add 5 lbs to my lifts every session. Is this routine sufficient for leg growth? My goals are hypertrophy and strength.
>>
I've seen stuff about beta-carotene giving some nice skin coloration, but I can't find anything on amounts.

Anyone have experience with this type of thing?
>>
>>40278940
Do it
>>
What's the deal with heeled shoes with squats?
Help or harm?
>>
If I only eat around 1200 - 1300 calories a day, would it be detrimental to my gains? I can only fit this much into my meals because of poverty.
>>
Can anyone give me a good dumbbell leg workout?
>>
>>40279572
Standing leg lifts
Use your dumbbell boots
>>
Are high top Converse shoes decent for squats? I don't feel like buying another pair of flat shoes.
>>
>>40279648
You'd look silly but I guess they might work
>>
>>40279371
Helps if you have poor mobility and trouble hitting depth. If you don't need them, don't worry about it.
>>40279648
I prefer lowtops so my ankles are free.
>>
>>40279572
Bulgarian split squats
Walking Lunges
RDLs
>>
If "bro splits" get you aesthetic, why wouldn't i just start with them if I just want to look shredded? I'm a noob

>dgaf about strength
>>
File: 1486193181271.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1486193181271.png
51KB, 657x527px
What clothing do I wear to the gym
>>
Shirt shorts shoes?
>>
>>40279844
yes
>>
>>40279802
Shirt and sweatpants.
>>
If I can only jog three laps around the track before getting too winded can I take a break and jog the rest I need for two miles? As long as I jog the distance will it matter if I take breaks.
>>
Right shoulder (front part) hurts after bench press.
What do?
>>
>>40279950
It's understandable if you start that way. What's important is that each time you push yourself a little past the point where you get too winded so you keep improving and can eventually do it without stopping
>>
>>40279992
Yeah that's what I've been doing I use to only be able to do one lap.
>>
cutting for 3 weeks and starting to feel and look small. I mean I almost see the bones of my hips since my I have wide hips. I think im losing weight too fast or something but I am still 5'7 180 pounds.
>>
I've looked all over the Internet but I can't seem to find an answer to this specific problem. I was born with club feet, and the surgery to fix it left my ankles with about 40% ROM. I Know calves are a bitch for everyone but due to my immobility am I banging my head against a wall by even doing calf work? Basically is there any chance of growing the hardest to build muscle with less than half the range of motion that should be available?
>>
What are 'beginner gains'

How much muscle can a beginner lifter expect to put on, how long do these gains last and do they make any visible difference to the body?
>>
If I don't give a shit about benching can I replace bp with a push press or another type of ohp in 5/3/1?
>>
>>40280349

You can, but its overall effectiveness will depend a lot on why you don't give a shit about benching.
>>
>>40280349
>>40280359
how much more weight can be lifted on push press vs standard press?
>>
>>40280369

Depends on how technically proficient you are and how strong your triceps are relative to your front delts. But typically ~15% or so.
>>
>>40280359
I'm trying to get stronger so that I can compete in a strongman event in 8-14 months.
To do this I need to increase the weight I can press over my head dramatically, so I would like to press at least twice a week. Ideally I would keep chest size through doing weighted dips as an accessory exercise once or twice a week.
I want to try to run 5/3/1 until maybe 12 weeks before the contest, then I'd start doing much more contest specific preparations.
>>
>>40280402

Take it from me - you still want to bench for strongman. Too useful in terms of overall strength to give up. Much like squatting, even though it is almost never a competition event the carryover from it is worth keeping around.

You should still press twice a week though (generally at least one strict and one push - very important skill to have in strongman, since hardly anything requires a strict press except maybe the natural stones if they show up and even some of them can be pushed). I'd probably say to use push pressing as a second lift on bench day rather than treat it as a main lift. I find it does not play particularly nicely with high rep work, especially if you're not super familiar with it.
>>
I'm on a cut (176 lbs 1800 kcals)
No creatine for 5 days because I finished it and fever for 3 days. I lost 2.4 lbs instead of what I expected (~0.5 lbs). Could it be a combination of the two?
>>
>>40275755
Don't arm wrestle. The potential for injury is too big. Take it from me; I had been lifting for about 6 months when I went to visit my dad back home. I wanted to show him how strong I had gotten so we arm wrestled.
We were locked and couldn't move each other when my arm snapped in half. Broke my humerus and had to wait 9 months before I could even lift baby weights again.
>>
>>40279985
Fix your form. Something's wrong.

>>40280288
You're imagining things. Unless you're losing 3 pounds a week you shouldn't have any visible difference to your body, particularly at 5'7" 180 pounds. Show a picture to prove otherwise.

>>40280324
Honestly this might be a question for a sports doctor or a physical therapist. Not sure if any anons are worth listening to on this one.

>>40280345
Beginner gains are CNS and muscle gains that can be obtained simply by starting to lift from square 1, regardless of diet (unless you're starving yourself of course). There is a plateau that will be hit before too long, but you can reach 2pl8 on this. Easier on a bulk, but doable on a cut.

>>40280496
Creatine does cause water retention, so it could be attributed. If you just started the diet recently water weight is the first to drop off.
>>
>>40280611
>Fix your form. Something's wrong.

How do I keep my scapulas pinched together if i need to go unrack the bar first?
The motion of unracking itself is the first thing that would probably mess up with my form (i bench in the squat rack)
>>
>>40280628
It's likely you have your back too flat to the bench. You need to have an arch going. It's kind of tough to explain without seeing your form and micromanaging it.

You want to be able to make your core feel like a steel beam, unbreakable.
>>
>>40280611
Thanks for replying to everyone.

Can you elabroate more on beginner gains?

I'm equating beginner gains to an obese person losing weight, they can lose 5kg a week very easily and then it slows down the thinner they get, is it the same with lifting?

Will I notice steady gains and my skinnyfat body to transition nicely into a dyel-ish body? Would beginner gains continue for a month before I have to actually have to work and push myself during lifts? Right now i'm not even 1 plate, I just practice with the bar to get my form right and I usually get tired around the 10th rep mark.

When i train with my friend he forces me to train with 5-10kg extra on the bar but he always has to assist me on bench press and if i was solo I would fail around 2-3 rep
>>
>>40280681
>they can lose 5kg a week very easily
hold the fuck up boyo, I think you've made some mistake. An obese person can lose 5kg in a MONTH easily. There is no possible way to lose 5kg a week without seriously hurting yourself.

>Will I notice steady gains and my skinnyfat body to transition nicely into a dyel-ish body?
Don't confuse strength gains with muscle growth. Beginner gains are mostly the former. There is some muscle growth, but it's not nearly as apparent as it would be over months of a more advanced routine.

>Would beginner gains continue for a month before I have to actually have to work and push myself during lifts?
You always need to push yourself, or else you'll never improve. You keep lifting heavier until you can't lift anymore, and then try again next time.

>Right now i'm not even 1 plate
Everyone has to start somewhere. Take a week to get your stabilization joints centered. Now add 5 lbs every session until you can't lift a full 3x5.

>When i train with my friend he forces me to train with 5-10kg extra on the bar but he always has to assist me on bench press and if i was solo I would fail around 2-3 rep
How much are you benching? A newbie probably will have difficulty doing more than 40kg.
>>
>>40280708
The fatter you are the easier it is to lose weight.
A fairly obese person can just eat moderately healthy 1200 calorie meals for a month and drop nearly 30 fucking pounds and see no really bad physical effects at all.
Unless it's too late and their fucking diabetic or something.
>>
>>40280731
I would never recommend more than a 1000 calorie deficit and especially not anything less than 60% of their sedentary TDEE, but regardless of anything you can't lose 10 lbs in a week, unless you're boogie on the first week of his diet.
>>
>>40280762
>>40280708

I'm talking about people who weigh like 500-600lbs, they can easily lose upwards of 10 pound a week during the initial month of their weight loss, following a no-carb diet and calorie deficit, if youre fighting me on this i think ill just dismiss the rest of your 'advice' too because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I went from 105-75kg losing 2kg a week and I wasn't even on a deficit. The only side effect was loose skin mainly around my biceps which I plan to fill with muscle
>>
>>40280795

If they're going no-carb, you can pretty much guarantee that most of that initial loss is going to be water weight. A tremendous fat fuck is going to be holding an incredibly amount of carb bloat.
>>
>>40280795
well to be fair you need to be more specific than "obese". A 6'0" 250 lb person is obese, a 500 lb person is a fucking hamplanet. I would at-least label it as morbid obesity.

>I went from 105-75kg losing 2kg a week and I wasn't even on a deficit.
do you even understand the major contradiction you've made
>>
Is there a graceful way of doing the roll of shame when you fail? Went to do chest today and my spotter wasn't there so I just did my normal sets.

As I was on last set I failed at 8 reps, no biggie I thought. I'd just roll it onto my hips/thighs like I used to when I lifted light weight.

I bumped it down to my stomach but I fucking struggled to push it onto my thighs. I finally managed to do it but it was a fucking ordeal.

Is there a more graceful way of doing this, or should I just be a complete fuck and ask someone for a spot when my gym buddy isn't there?
>>
File: progress.png (4MB, 2144x1918px) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
4MB, 2144x1918px
>>40280823
I was on maybe a 200-400 calorie defecit, most of the weightloss was due to ketosis occurring, i definitely wasn't on the recommended 500-1000 defect that most dieters usually do
>>
>>40280896

Considering that ketosis by itself does not improve fat loss over an equivalent non-ketosis deficit, you either were carrying 15kg of glycogen (you weren't) or most of the weight loss was down to the deficit rather than ketosis.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170206-115541.png (227KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170206-115541.png
227KB, 1440x2560px
Might have more luck posting here

I was going to the gym last year but stopped and only just signed back up today. I was doing SL 5x5. My plan was to keep doing SL and try cut down to 15% bodyfat from the 24% my bodyscan says, even if i stall. I'm happy to continue doing that same weight and possibly increase reps until im down to 15%. Is that a good plan? I need opinions and advice. Age 21, 175cm 85kg. Pics attached of body scan done today at my gym
>>
>>40269801
Valhalla my ass
>>
>>40281033
so, you jack off with your left hand more than your right?

same here
>>
>>40281079
I actually dont though i thought it was weird my left side was bigger considering im right handed
>>
I don't have enough space in my ghetto home gym setup for a bench, are there any significant downsides to replacing bench press with floor press?
>>
Sup fit.

Quick question. I'm cutting at around 450Kcals. Is it best to follow a PPLX with some low cardio/hit on one of the three days and rest day, or PXPXLXX with cardio on X days (except sunday for practical reasons) ?
>>
how the hell do those small guys look so big at a low weight? i'm talking about stuff like 120 pounds 5'6 looking huge? how does this work? will I look like that once I am done cutting?
>>
>>40270051
Kys

You can flesh the TM out however the hell you want. Do the split routine and you can bodybuild on it ffs. It's a method not a program.
>>
About to start the gym

Should I get a personal trainer for a week or two or just learn by trial and error and watching/asking other people? I have a general idea of what I want to do already.
>>
>>40281301
Start with very low weight to really get how to perform with good form (particularly for squats and deadlifts). Problem with PT is that some are great, but some are just here to look like they know what they're doing but actually don't.
>>
>>40281461
Right, that's pretty much exactly what I heard from a friend actually. It's one of my worries, and like you said I just want to figure out the form really. I think my first day will be mainly to scout out the area and do something basic like the treadmill or bike and then go from there.
>>
>>40281513
Why start with cardio? Depending on the crowd of course, and of how you can handle people around (I'm kind of an antisocial guy, so I can't stand eve 3 people in my near vicinity), try out a full body routine with main lifts (Bench, OHP, squats and deadlifts). I'd go without weight on the bar for squats and bench since the bar itself if in general roughly 30~40 lbs. That way you'll get a feel of things.
And don't mind other people. No one's here to judge you really.
>>
Fatman losing weight, down 34lbs so far.

Whens the best time to weigh in? I've been doing it when i wake up. I figured it was fine as long as all my weigh ins are the same conditions.
>>
>>40281739
Basically this. try to weight yourself after bowel movement, but before eating. If impossible, try to weight your poop and subtract it from the morning weight (don't actually weight your poop though, weight yourself before and after).
In any case, you'll see that your weight can fluctuate quite a bit just because of salt/water. So look at the general trend rather than being alarmed by one weird weight one morning. If you're plateauing though, eat at maintenance for a few days and exercise. And refuel days every 7~14 days to keep your metabolism high enough
>>
>>40281209
You'll loose a tad on the ROM, but it shouldn't be absolutely catastrophic if you do other chest exercises with full ROM (Dips, pushups, flies...)
>>
>>40272123
Pls respond
>>
File: kc.jpg (39KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
kc.jpg
39KB, 500x347px
Is there any reason to lift if you are genetic trash and have the frame of a 14 year old boy?

Let's be honest, I will never impress anybody with my body, so where is the point, besides having fun while working out?
>>
>>40272123
>>40272445
>>40281910
Seems a bit heavy to me. You won't have any recuperation time doing that... best to do PPXPPXX, with some accessory lifts and cardio on X days if you have weak spots.
>>
>>40272123
I don't think it's good to squat every other day, i would add a leg day and do PPL instead with one rest day a week. So you can still go 6 times a week.
>>
>>40281927
Being strong
>>
>>40281301
PTs get paid to tell you what the gym manager wants you to know that month. Don't trust a word they say unless you know independently that they are legit. They're not authorities in fitness and they're not experts, despite the strong implication that they are.
>>
File: 1486002268566.jpg (834KB, 1000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1486002268566.jpg
834KB, 1000x2500px
Hey guys, is it possible to traib 5/3/1 with bbb 2 times a day.

My lunch break is 60 minutes. Thas not quite enough time for 1 session.

Would it be a bad idea to train 531 at my lunch break and bbb + assistance in the evening?
>>
File: ff.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
should I be squatting if I have flat feet and the associated mis-alignment?

almost as bad as the picture, not quite though
>>
>>40281262
bump
>>
>>40282036
>>>/x/
>>
>>40282103
srs desu

worried about fucking my shit up
>>
>>40281825
That's what I thought as well - I already do supplemental exercises anyway, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Thanks anon.
>>
>>40282411
Scooby seems to do most of his exercises on the floor, and you can say whatever on him, his chest is massive...
>>
File: 1486324856780.jpg (39KB, 697x943px) Image search: [Google]
1486324856780.jpg
39KB, 697x943px
repost from other thread

So I recently started working out at a planet fitness, using the preset barbells there to do stronglifts 5x5, not the most optimal way, but I have to make do with what I have. Anyways, i've been progressing through the barbells, increasing the weight every workout, and three weeks in i'm at the second to last barbell, and my knees hurt like hell, I can barely walk, and attempting to squat with even the lightest barbell is an impossible task.
I'm at 210 lbs (started at 230), 5'7 (when will I learn?). What is wrong, why do my knees hurt, should I keep trying to workout?
>>
>>40281927
I hope you are getting some /ss/
>>
>>40282966
>should I keep trying to workout?

No you idiot never ignore joint pain
>>
Sometimes when I'm squatting near max, my lumbar is sore for a few days. Can this be from too much forward lean? My squat is falling way behind my DL.
>>
Anyone out there with lateral pelvic tilt?
How the fuck do i work around this?
Ive been doing the daily excercises and stretches they assigned me for months and now my left knee's clicking and right hip hurts. I just wanna diddly and squat again
>>
How do I improve my bent over db rows and get them up to scratch with my bench?
Do I simply row every session as opposed to every other session, or would adding curls at the end of my OHP sessions do the job? Or should I lower the weight by a few kgs and focus on form and ROM for the required reps?
>>
File: chrome_2017-02-06_16-21-58.png (23KB, 377x582px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-02-06_16-21-58.png
23KB, 377x582px
What do u guys think of my current ppl split?
>>
>>40283048
Soreness generally comes from load on a muscle in a lengthened position.

This means your spine is going into flexion when it gets heavy, because that's the only way the squat is going to happen.

Potential solutions:

Go lighter

Don't go as deep and/or box squat

Shift more load to rectus abdominis (play with posture under load between 60-75% 1RM to get a feel for this--this may cause thoracic flexion)

Shift more load to thoracic muscles (narrower grip, shoulderblades pinched, elbows close to sides--this may cause shoulder/elbow issues)

Strengthen glutes through isolation (Bret Contreras exercises)
>>
>>40283296
It depends on what you're trying to achieve with the row. For me, I like to lower the weight to where I can pause at peak contraction, and don't have to use much momentum to get it there. This type of rowing will help your pressing and squatting more, while heavier cheatier rows will help your deadlift more. Both are good for hypertrophy but cheatier rows are harder to recover from so bad for training economy usually.
>>
Do Broccoli leaves have the same benefits of the ''flower''/broccoli itself? They taste fucking atrocitous, while i could eat the broccoli raw. However, it's harder to find and more expensive here.
>>
what shoudl i have for breakfast today lads.
>>
>>40283343
It's okay. Don't be wedded to 3x8-10. There is value in other rep ranges (lower reps for more compound movements like the flat press, 3-7, and higher reps for like lateral raises, 13-20)

Suggestions I would make:

Do 6 sets of lateral raises (can do dropsets to speed this up)

Delete the one arm row and add a grip/forearm exercise (farmer's carries/wrist roller/zottman curls for example)

Do RDLs before squatting. Blood in the hamstrings helps before quad movements, I don't know why but it's magic.
>>
>>40283392
Oats

Nuts

Omelette with spinach/cheese
>>
>>40283420
Cool advice, will take to heart. Thanks!
>>
>>40283463
You're welcome mate, peace love muscles
>>
>>40283370
Thanks for the advice. I want to help my squats and pressing so I'll give peak contraction and pausing with lower weight a go
>>
>>40283495
You're welcome lad, since this style is easier to recover from you can certainly do it 3-4x/week no problem. Just quit your set once it gets hard enough that your joints are put in a weird feeling position.
>>
>>40281262
bumping this!
>>
>>40282025
Anyone?
>>
Does the dinosaur's back leg move or is it an optical illusion?
>>
trying to lose weight here. it's working pretty well so far but I find myself having dizzy spells in increasingly frequent amounts.

simply getting up from a sitting position is enough to give me vertigo. could it be malnutrition? blood pressure? should I consult a professional? it doesn't happen when I eat "normally" (eg like a fat shit)
>>
>>40283529
The second one. Studies have shown that 1x/week frequency, given high enough intensity, is generally enough to maintain strength and muscle, unless you are elite/advanced.

>>40283532
It's not a bad idea, you should split it up for sure
>>
>>40283545
Blood pressure/hypoglycemia are the first things to investigate.

If you're fat it's less likely to be BP, unless you recently restricted sodium drastically.

Hypoglycemia would then be insulin resistance related. Eat an appropriate amount of low glycemic load carbs
>>
>>40283549
Great, thanks mate!
>>
>>40275618
Delivering pizzas can probs net you more dough than that. Anything where you can make tips, etc. Most physical labor jobs will only pay you slightly more than what you're getting now because you're new and you won't have time to prove you're worthy of a raise.
>>
>>40283380
Bump.
>>
>>40283380
Probably not, because the florets are basically the flower of the plant... I do use the rest for soups though!
>>
I think i'm starting to see the linear gains coming to an end (while cutting) should I start looking into intermediate programs or slow down my progression while I continue to cut.

Background: I started 100 lbs over weight (obese) at 265 lbs. Over the last 14 months i've came down to 200 lbs. I've been lifting the last 8 months while on a small cut. My goal is to lose another 35-40 lbs roughly but i'm starting to stall on all my lifts. Intermediate or stay on a linear program for another 8-12 months until I finish losing weight?

Lifts are all 3x5 but deads are 1x5 (But I do have a higher volume dead day where I use less then max weight)

Squat = 305
Deads = 365
Bench = 235
OHP = 175
>>
File: Henry Fenrir dentine renege.png (674KB, 485x484px) Image search: [Google]
Henry Fenrir dentine renege.png
674KB, 485x484px
Alright so if I am 100% going to do cardio, is it more effective before or after I do my lifting?
>>
>>40284047
After or better to do on offdays. After workouts do steady state not HIIT. Do HIIT (if your going to) on non-lifting days or several hours apart.
>>
>>40281927
If tiny chinks can clean and jerk 200kg then you can hit a 3pl8 deadlift. I believe in you anon. If strength is what you seek then strength is what you shall find. But it will not come to you easily.

Unless of course you want to be a cute boy who gets his cute dick and prostate violated by dominant older women
>>
How quickly will i see bulking effects in strength? Will i be able to lift more weight almost instantly in the first week?
>>
Is there any benefit to during a workout all at once, or could I do half earlier in the day, and then half later?
>>
>>40272123

How advanced of a lifter are you? Unless you are very proficient this is too heavy. PPxPPxx will work great though.
>>
>>40282036
I would say no. I have flat feet and squatting aggrivated my pre existing knee pain. Leg press with my insoles in seems okay. Try it for a few weeks and see how you're feeling. Speak with a physio if you have the luxury.
>>
>>40276309
if youre in australia, bulknutrients.com is the cheapest i know
>>
Just got some caffeine pills, 200mg of caffeine per pill. The serving suggestion says take two a day, but are you supposed to take them at the same time or wait for the first one to process its way through your system before taking the next one?
>>
>>40284873
I recommend doing them separately. Typically 4-6 hours apart.
>>
HOW THE FUCK DO I DO SKULLCRUSHERS
Some videos show a slightly different version, where their arms are perpendicular to the ground, and others do it slightly angled? wtf
>>
Is it possible/better to do single arm face pulls or should I stick with the regular version?
>>
>>40284512
More dependent on your sleep and how your program is set up honestly. Increases in volume will decrease strength acutely
>>
>>40284916
Slightly angled is better IMHO, because completely perpendicular there's no tension on the tricep as your skeleton is supporting the load. Also I get a better stretch on my long head/lat with the slight decline.

>>40284918
You could do it with a band as like a warm-up activator, but I wouldn't train that aggressively, much more stability in a bilateral position.
>>
>>40284918
Do them whatever way feels best on your shoulders.
Both ways have their pros and cons, but the differences are too small to worry about.
>>
I have a program question. I read that I am only supposed to run SS for 4-6 months as a beginner and move onto something else. But I am sure that I can still progress linearly in my lifts. Current are:

OHP - 125x5
BP - 185x5
Squat - 235x5
DL - 295x5

I am 6'5(196cm) 225-230lb (about 103kg) so I think I can progress farther linearly.

My question is, do I keep running SS? or do I move onto a different program?

Thanks
>>
>>40285052
>something keeps working
>should I stop and move on?
fuck, why are people so stupid...

second paragraph
http://startingstrength.com/get-started/faq
>>
Need advice on how to transition from 3 times a week AxBxCxx to 4 times ABxCDxx a week.
I have no times left for accessories like facepull, cable lateral pulldown, rotator cuff external rotation, dumbell side lateral raises that I feel I need so I need an extra day without changing up to much ofmy current program which I like and is working well for me at the moment.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Stats: 74 kg, 174cm, cyclist, 39 years old, and lifting for 3 months 2 times a week on average, taking about 1.5 hours per visit.
57,5 1RM
70 1x5
80 3x5
115 1x3
My squat is lacking and I'm working on it by increasing my times lifting per week. Deadlift is still increasing consistently, I'm just taking it easy because of reversed hernia.
Currently doing lots of lower back exercises as it is recommended by physical therapist for my lower back and hip problems. I've added in biceps isolation to improve chinup/pullup and tricep isolation to improve bench and dips as these were obvious weaknesses.
The facepulls and rotator cuff exercises are for posture and injury prevention. The cable pulldown is because I like to train my upper back.

Current 3 day/week program:
A
high bar back squat 5x5
OHP/Bench (alternating) 5x5
Pullup/Chinup (alternating) 4xF
Back extensions 5x15
bicep isolation 5x5-8
B
Deadlift 3x5
OHP/Bench (alternating) 5x5
Pendlay Row 3x8
Dips 5xF
Tricep isolation
C
Front Squat 5x5
OHP/Bench
Pullup/Chinup (alternating) 4xF
Good morning 3x10
bicep isolation 5x5-8
>>
I think I have a cold, though nothing too bad.
Should I lift today?
If not, should I at least eat at maintenance instead of my normal 500 cal deficit?
>>
>>40285294
the weights are in kilograms.
>>
>>40284966
I do SS with bit more volume and have proper rest everyday. I just want to know what should i expect. I already have bit too high bodyfat and dont want to fuckup this
>>
>>40285294
I think you are still too much of a novice to have two squat variations. Pick one (I suggest front squat) and do it twice a week. This will help to lock in the neuromuscular movement pattern.

Bench only twice a week, OHP only twice a week. You'll press every workout this way but it's still low volume so it should be fine.

I hate good mornings unless they're seated but that's just me

Since you are doing dips, do a tricep isolation that emphasizes the long head

Peace love muscles
>>
>>40285483
>Bench only twice a week, OHP only twice a week. You'll press every workout this way but it's still low volume so it should be fine.
I am now benching/pressing 3 times a week (2 times bench and 1 press or 2 times press and 1 bench). Do you mean that in a 4 times a week program I can include ohp x 2 and bench x2?
> I think you are still too much of a novice to have two squat variations
If I do front squat twice a week and back squat once a week (combined with deadlift once a week) would to be a good idea?
>>
>>40285536
>Do you mean that in a 4 times a week program I can include ohp x 2 and bench x2?

Yes

If you want to squat 3x/week and don't want to front squat 3x/week (very understandable), I would suggest a low bar box squat in the interest of joint stability and general recovery.
>>
>>40285593
thanks anon
>>
>>40285659
Welcome bro

How come 39 and channing? Career? How does cycling fit into your lifting schedule?
>>
What is everyone's thoughts on 531? I've been doing an Upper/Lower split and so I figured it would be easy to transition to something that is focused on a main lift per session.

I'm okay with the slow progress, my lifts are really stalling as it is. My plan would be to do the big but boring part, although not likely 5x10 on deadlifts, still looking at that, maybe doing the 5x5 protocol instead. as that would still be a increase in my deadlift volume.
>>
>>40285303
Think you have a cold? Go lift.
>>
>>40285741
Thanks m8, I would have fucking hated to take a day off.
>>
>>40285710
Dunno. Started loosing weight 1.5 years ago and first board I came to was /fit. i guess I like the simplicity and I absolutely love the humor, beinga bit of a loner myself.
>How come 39 and channing? Career?
I have a shit career. Working at home. Started my own 'online store' 1.5 years ago and it is failing now. Lots of stress. I have nothing to fall back on except a useless psychology degree.
>How does cycling fit into your lifting schedule
I'm not sure yet how to combine with cycling. It is my main sport and at my age still have loads of goals and can still improve a lot. As it is winter I just do some obligatory rides which will not interfere with strength training. In march I start training again and we'll see. Hopefully combining both won't be a problem but I estimate gym will be reduced to 2 times a week at best. I do intend to add some leg isolations later to improve my power for high gear speeds and sprints. For now I hope the back exercises improve my lower back and hernia which has been holding me back the most.
>>
>>40285801
Yikes. Hope things improve man. Seems like a pretty cutthroat market. At least you're old enough to be "managerial" now
>>
>>40285764
Just make sure you monitor your health. Getting sick often can be a sign of over training and not allowing your body to recover.
>>
20 y/o virgin about to fuck a tinder chick tomorrow.

Do I tell her or do I just let any probable "embarrassments" happen? Should I jack off tonight? Cause I've been on nofap for a while. I'm definitely blowing it within a minute otherwise.
>>
>>40272960
You can do it, but if not having enough recovery hinders your progress then tou should add the extra rest day back.
>>
>>40286158
Be upfront about everything, but in person, after you've turned her on a bit with some foreplay. That way she's invested and more likely to help coach.

Tell her you haven't popped one off in a while and the first time won't take long but the second will take more work, girls like to see guys come, don't hold back your grunting and moaning
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.