[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial Arts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 13

File: 2762260807-qx100.jpg (96KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
2762260807-qx100.jpg
96KB, 400x400px
What martial arts do you do? Which do you think are just meme martial arts?

Alpha Judo for six years, works out all parts of the body in intense workout

Meme martial arts:
>Kung Fu
>Karate
>Taekwondo
>>
I totally agree with your meme martial arts, especially kung fu. You're not going to be saving yourself on the street by looking like a praying mantis.
I do Jiu Jitsu, it gets you going so in that sense it keeps you active. Plus it is useful, you only really need a guy on the ground then you can run away irl.
Muay Thai if you are really try to get the workout, or boxing or some shit like that.
I know someone who is black belt in kung fu he's been at it for three years. It's a fucking meme.
>>
I'm torn between taking up Krav Maga and dismantling the Lesbian Jewish Mafia Media MachineĀ® from the inside or just joining a boxing gym.
>>
MMA master race reporting in
>>
File: BruceLee_189.jpg (117KB, 1016x963px) Image search: [Google]
BruceLee_189.jpg
117KB, 1016x963px
>>40267564
>>40267564

>I totally agree with your meme martial arts, especially kung fu. You're not going to be saving yourself on the street by looking like a praying mantis.

"Kung Fu" is just a generic term in Chinese for martial arts.

Boxing is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.

Wrestling is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.

A lot of Chinese MMA fans compliment good MMA fighters by saying they are good at "kung fu".
>>
>>40267662
Isn't a black belt in kung fu an entry-level belt?

I study and train aikido. My sensei also branches out into kenjutsu (swords), naginatajutsu (it's a kind of lance), and kyuudo (traditional Japanese archery).

These skills are pretty much useless in today's world, seeing as guns are a thing now. Unless there was some kind of survival situation and all you had to fight with were lengths of wood.
>>
I go to the gym 5 times a week, jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week. Gracie jiu jitsu specifically. It is pretty awesome. Just started a few months ago. Still getting my ass kicked during rolling but alot of fun and has amazing self defense techniques. Also a great cardio workout and is my general abdominal core exercise of the week. Highly recommend if anyone has a gracie gym in their area.
>>
>>40267564
I practice Overwatch, e-sports.
>>
>>40267762
Krav Maga is fucking retarded
>>
>>40267662
I used to do Kung Fu a long time ago and holy shit it was a fucking meme.

The way you got new belts and 'ranked up' was by memorizing these sort of dances called 'forms' where you do different movements in sequence.

Eventually you would LARP your way to getting a staff and memorize more 'forms'.

Once you reached purple belt or some shit you got a sword. It takes only about a year after starting from nothing to get to a purple belt.

I am so glad I quit that BS jew money sucking machine
>>
>"Kung Fu" is just a generic term in Chinese for martial arts.
>Boxing is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.
>Wrestling is considered "kung fu" to Chinese people.
Nigga we aren't chinese
>>
>>40267762
Krav Maga is fucking retarded
do Judo, BJJ, or Jiu Jitsu instead
>>
>>40267564
>meme arts
You just used blanket terms for martial arts in different languages.
There are no meme arts only shit teachers.

I did karate for near on 10 years, okinoawan go-jyu ryu spe specifically, started at a young age because I just wanted to learn a martial art and was the only club accessible, was a lot of kata/formwork but more so practical application of defence, was involved in a few self defense demonstration at local fairs.
>any art will teach you the basics, you must learn to apply them practically or all arts are meme arts.
>>
My friend does goes to a club that's advertised as Kung Fu. All they do is bareknuckle box each other with no real rules. Just no full force punches. Broken noses all the time

Seems like it depends on the club. Because I can't think of a better way to learn to defend yourself from random people
>>
>>40267829
How is their billing? I was considering the one near me but I heard they were a bunch of jews and lock you in contracts.
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 320x214px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 320x214px
Thinking of getting into Capoeira for sole purpose of incorporating BW. Not for self defense. Fucking monkey men fit as fuck flipping all around.
>>
OP here, I never did nor understood wrestling
My Sensei was showing a technique and made a comparison to wrestling saying that in wrestling if your back touches the ground you lose

wtf? maybe since im coming from a judo perspective but that seems like an autistic sport, that removes such a huge opportunity of attack from defense position in stuff

as well, I heard that in wrestling youre supposed to keep your head up. wtf? what if somebody is trying to get a choke on you? rip
>>40267897
this.
>>
>>40267916
>only shit teachers

This. I use to teach Ashihara Karate (read: based art). Seriously, I've met a lot of awful teachers in my time. McDojo's are unfortunately everywhere. Stay on the look out people.
>>
Aye yo grapplers post some workouts, I feel like I just do bro shit at the gym with no idea why I'm doing anything.

Bjj here, but I'd like to hear what wrestlers do in the weight room, they always look so much more jacked
>>
Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full

>Kajukenbo is karate
>Kyukoshin is karate

don't hate on the original asskickers
>>
>>40267941
Did bjj a few years ago, recently got into judo.

Both are great for cardio, due to more groundwork BJJ was harder on abs. I'm really enjoying the stand-up work in Judo but the sport emphasis means everyone will happily give their back if it means keeping their shoulders off the mat, and this seems so inherently wrong to me.
>>
Is mma the best for just generally knowing how to defend yourself on the street?

That's all I really want to be able to do.
>>
>>40268037
the point of keeping shoulders off mat is to keep hands out towards opponent when on ground. It is much harder to reach for the other person if your shoulders are down.
>>
>>40267941
It's if both your shoulder blades touch the ground you lose
>>
>>40267927
I pay about 150 per month (with military discount) for unlimited sessions per month which I think is good in terms of martial arts lessons. Yeah gracie jiu jitsu can be expensive but in my area (pretty danferous city) they are reasonable and have pretty good discounts and free trials. Sure it is expensive and sometimes uncommon to get in altercations but I think in terms I'd rather be alive and pay some money than kbocked out/dead on the street and not know street defense.
>>
>>40267762
join the boxing gym and gain superior upper body strength
>>
>>40268067
>mma meme
best thing to defend yourself is a gun, no exceptions
as for a good workout, Judo, BJJ, Jiu Jitsu
>>
>>40267941
Also chokeholds are illegal in wrestling, you don't tap people out in olympic style.
>>
>>40268080
>a gun

True, but for random bar fights or something of the sort you usually can't even bring a gun in and if you pulled one out when someone was getting aggressive on you that would lead to all kinds of problems for you.
>>
>>40268084
It's illegal but people use them pretty extensively.
>>
>>40268067
If you are looking to protect yourself from they sterotypical asshole at the bar, you will just need to know your 1,2,3 from boxing. Perfecting your 1,2,3 wins fights
>>
>>40268080
Except guns will get you a manslaughter charge.
>>
>>40267927
Also on contracts, my gym doesn't lock you in. They specifically told me before I signed up if you have a job/problem that comes up randomly and need to switch times or sessions per month they can switch/terminate your contract. Really nice folks over at the place I go to.
>>
>>40267887
>The way you got new belts and 'ranked up' was by memorizing these sort of dances called 'forms' where you do different movements in sequence.
>Eventually you would LARP your way to getting a staff and memorize more 'forms'.
>Once you reached purple belt or some shit you got a sword. It takes only about a year after starting from nothing to get to a purple belt.
Lol
>>
>>40268101
If you want to fight somebody in a real situation learning Judo & Jiu Jitsu forms is important just for general skill

Of course you wont do a throw with a Gi on in the bar, but the experience of doing such throws, pins, chokes, armbars, etc. will give you skill in real fights
>>
>>40267897
He's pointing out your ignorance. Saying kungfu is meme is meaningless, because kungfu doesn't mean one single thing or type of martial arts.

>>40267564
There are no meme martial arts, at least not among the major prominent ones. There are only meme practitioners. Whatever you say about judo can apply just as well to karate etc. It's hard to take your words seriously since you claim kungfu is a meme because again, as said, kungfu isn't one 'thing', just like how japanese martial arts isn't one thing, there are judo, aikido, karate etc.

>>40267887
That's because you fucked up and learned the 'show' based ones. Even shaolin has split schools for this reason: the ones more focused on showmanship and the less fancy ones that focus on self defence. Which once again leads back to the point: it's not the martial arts, but the ones selling it. Just because there are plenty of mcdojos around doesn't mean all forms of japanese martial arts are memes.
>>
>>40268084
shame

>>40268138
found the kid whos mom got scammed by a "100% leeegiit kung fu masster" when he was a fat 10yo
>>
>>40268137
So what I'm getting is boxing, judo and bjj so basically mma?
>>
>>40268067
Most major martial arts, assuming you have a competent instructor, is more than enough to defend you on the streets. Doesn't matter if its, mma, bjj, karate, aikido, judo. Remember: this is self-defence, it's different from internet tough guy brags about muh krav maga/marine corp ma/ some other spec ops shit about how you know how snap a guy's neck in 100 ways.

>>40268155
I knew someone will come up this retort. See above, this part in particular.
>Remember: this is self-defence, it's different from internet tough guy brags about muh krav maga/marine corp ma/ some other spec ops shit about how you know how snap a guy's neck in 100 ways.

Again, thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>40267928
It's beautiful to watch, extremely fun to perform, and is great for your flexibility, agility, and balance. But it is mostly impractical in a fight.

It is my favorite martial art.
>>
>>40268175
>memema
>>
>>40268179

Exactly i wouldnt do 80% of their moves in a fight. They do have standard kicks that most striking arts have. In it for its non fighting aspects.

>tfw rip flexibility
>t-thanks rippetoe
>>
>claims kungfu is a meme
>explain that kungfu isn't those fancy animal movement shit like you see on tv
>lol just another kid who got scammed
Stay classy, /fit/.

Now for those who actually do want to learn proper self-defence rather than pretend they're tough: do proper research and don't be mislead by people talking about X martial arts is the best! Different ma has their styles and technique that are worth knowing about. Disregarding other ma as being a meme is being narrow minded and impedes you from actually learning. Make sure you're actually learning for self-defence and not just for competition. The latter is why you have people mocking mma, even though you can still go and learn mma for more self-defence based technique.
>>
>>40268175
If you go to an "mma" gym, you are wasting your money. You want to do a certain practice, you can mix them if you want to. Like do muey thai 2 days a week and jui jits 3 days a week or something.
>>
>>40268283
Definitely don't have time for that on top of lifting.

I kind of think it would be best to just take up boxing because my size alone will overpower most people on the ground
>>
>>40268300
Liftings not that great if you want to compete in any fighting. It makes you slow, its good just for fun. I do boxing/muey thai and lift on the side. I don't really want to get big though because i'm a manlet.
>>
>>40268300
>My size alone will overpower people on the ground
Hahahahahaha
>>
>>40267886
What makes it retarded
>>
>>40268340
I don't want to compete in fighting, like I said it's just for basic self defense.

>>40268343
?

Over the average untrained person. Not every douchebag at a bar is a bjj black belt.
>>
Kung fu isn't like the shit on kung fu panda but it is the meme of martial arts. It is about the "form and technique" "the tiger claw technique." If you want to talk about real self defense, don't go to kung fu. It's a meme, accept it.

And I don't give a shit what kung fu is like in Mongolia, if you really want an old asian style self defense type of martial art try Taekwando. It is the least memiest.

The best self defense are shit the others are saying like boxing (in a fitness sense), judo, bjj, muay thai.
The only good I can see out of going to Kung Fu is the warm up workouts, as long as you're not at a mcdojo. But it's the kind of stuff you can do at home.
>>
>>40268359
Then just do boxing, make sure you don't do boxing "fitness". Also they can charge an arm and a leg its hard to find anything below 80 a month.
>>
>>40268391
Sounds good. How do boxing gyms work? Are you in like a class setting? Seems like you would need a lot of 1 on 1 time to get good
>>
>>40268391
oh hey
it's the boxing shill

Allow me to counter with BJJ
>>
>>40268396
I've been to a boxing gym

it's usually that there are enough coaches that they give you one on one advice, leave you to practice, and then teach someone else.
>>
>TKD 10 years
>Muay Thai 3 years
>Wing Chun 3 years
>Boxing (amateur) 3 years
>Japanese Jujutsu 6 years

Ama I guess. Sucks that the knowledge is still in my head but I'm so out of practice my body doesn't listen anymore.

Japanese Jujutsu is by far my favorite. Followed by boxing. WC helped a lot with my boxing and MT, surprisingly. And TKD was meme style from when I was a kid. Still beneficial tho
>>
>>40268406
Cool thanks
>>
>>40268300
As a bjj white belt and a big guy (4u)I realised pretty quick I could just muscle my way into tapping all of the other white belts and smaller blue belts until a 60kg asian purple belt had me completely and totally fucked before I knew what was happening.
>>
>>40268430
In boxing, there's something called the 80/20 rule.

The coach will spend 80% of his time on his best fighter and 20% of his time on the rest.

Essentially it's up to you to improve. Work hard and get noticed.
>>
>>40267564
I did 5 years of TKD but it wasn't the typical strip mall bullshit. I'm doing Judo right now but I started like 2 months ago.

Memes:
>Kung Fu
Especially Wing Chun
>Shotokan Karate
Not Kyokushin though
>Krav Maga
good workout but most places teach trashy technique, it'd be useful against someone who is clueless but so would kung fu
>>
>>40268438
Yeah I know. I did bjj for about 6 months. I understand at a certain point size stops mattering but for the majority of real world encounters size will matter a lot.
>>
File: Flow_Chart.png (2MB, 1024x4521px) Image search: [Google]
Flow_Chart.png
2MB, 1024x4521px
>>
>>40268407
1 month into Muay Thai, today the trainer tried to sell me snake oil , is that common?
>>
>>40268175
MMA isn't a martial art. It's a rule set that allows multiple martial arts to coexist in a live environment.
Most decent "MMA" gyms will offer something like "pay 100 a month to be able to attend any class you want". Then you can attend their Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ clases separately. A couple days a week, you can also attend open mat sparring sessions that follow MMA rules to help you tie it all together.
>>
>>40268826
How so? What's the guys background?
>>
>>40268438
Size matters..up until a certain point
>>
>>40268396
>How do boxing gyms work?
If it's a boxing gym that actually produces amateur/golden glove/professional fighters?
You open with 10+ minutes of jumping rope.
Then you do a minimum 2 mile run.
Then you do 20+ minutes of body weight routines like bear crawls, burpees, shadow boxing and whatever the fuck else the instructor can come up with to get you soaked in sweat.
Afterwards, you put in work on a heavybag for half an hour.
Then you pair up and start doing mitt work for 30+ minutes, with a focus on specific combos and technique.
Once you're tired, sore and shot, that's when the hour+ of sparring starts.
If your gym is really high quality, after sparring, they'll have you cool down with a mile run and some stretching, while the coach goes over what he saw that needs working on.
>>
>>40268398
>oh hey
>it's the bench press shill
>Allow me to counter with SQUATS
Boxing and BJJ are two completely separate disciplines that focus on different things. Stop being a nigger.
>>
>>40268852
He is American but told us that he trained 2 years in Thailand, he says snake oil may prevent injuries but I'm a little sceptical
>>
>>40268906
Always did the opposite. Sparring after the body weight shit and then heavy bag for multiple rounds and then roadwork
>>
>>40267794
Exactly, so when someone says 'I train in Kung Fu' you know they're bullshit, just like when someone says 'I train in mma'
>>
>>40268950
Um... Literally "snake oil"?

You know that a "snake oil salesman" literally means someone who sells products that don't work, right?

I think he was fucking with you. Or you're fucking with me. Either way 9/10 troll by one of you.
>>
>>40268951
It can be switched up: I was just sharing what my gym did. The point is to put you through the ringer and not ignore cardio.
>heavybag for cooldown
sounds comfy
>>
>>40267941
Wrestling is a sport from the ancient Greeks and Romans. It's more about showing dominance by laying on top of your opponent as they are pinned to the ground. I guess they can use for combat. I imagine Roman soldiers taking down and pinning a barbarian to the ground, pulling out a dagger and slipping it into the ribs. Similarly, Judo was a martial art created to take down samurais handicapped by their heavy armor which afterwards you would stab the guy.
>>
>>40268966
Not kidding he literally showed us the bottle, aplied some in his elbows and legs and then offered some to us (two friends and me), when we declined his offer he told us that is part of the "Muay Thai Culture" that he learned back in his days in Thailand.
>>
I am learning the ancient martial art of PUTTING A FUCKING BULLET IN YOUR SKULL.

just get a gun and learn how to use it.
>>
>>40269085
was most likely menthol liniment, ask jeeves it.
>>
File: snake oil.jpg (44KB, 326x679px) Image search: [Google]
snake oil.jpg
44KB, 326x679px
>>40269104
This. It was pic related. I didn't bother reading the label when he showed the bottle. Guess he was kidding with the "snake oil" part. So is this menthol a meme or is legit?, thank you in advance bro I really want to get into Muay Thai but don't want to get memed
>>
>>40269085
>>40269104
You sure it wasn't tiger balm

They use that shit all the time. Smells like menthol and comes in an orange bottle of its the Thai version
>>
>>40269145
Yeah what I thought. It's jus Thai icy hot bro, it's legit enough to relive soreness
>>
>>40269145
He probably called it snake oil memeing on the old phrase 'snake oil salesman'
>>
>>40268407
What are Muay Thai workouts actually like? I've never seen someone describe the experience of an MT gym before
>>
>>40269212
It's all HIIT
>>
>>40269212
Interval training plus cardio plus skill work

It's fun bruv
>>
>>40267827
I did aikido for six years.

It's a joke. It isn't even a martial art because there's nothing 'martial' about it. It has more in common with pro wrestling or contemporary dance than martial arts.

I swapped it for BJJ and realised I'd been wasting my life. Aikido has no practical real world fighting applications whatsoever. No more than ballet.
>>
>>40267928
This capoeira KO is basically the only one in existence, but capoeira monkeys keep holding it out to say "see?? It really works!!"

A one in a million lucky shot =/= "works".
>>
>>40269224
HIIT?
>>
>>40269279
High intensity interval training
Also with standard cardio and actual Thai boxing skill work. Any other strengthening and conditioning is just conventional lifting
>>
>>40269145
My muay thai coach and training partners were big on tiger balm

My judo partners not so much
>>
>>40269279
What he said
>>40269302
Think sprinting for a few minutes followed by walking for a minute followed by sprinting etc

Except instead of sprinting you're punching and kicking
>>
>>40269253
this

hope you like skipping
>>
>>40268906
My "gym" is more like the local boxing "club" - you only pay 60ā‚¬ each year though.

Full with normies. Even when i started boxing (after i went from nearly fatty to fit) i stomped them all in sparring; they were even mad at me for pushing to agressiv.....

Only had this 1 black guy head taller then me who actually rekt me and i can look up to (insert manlet meme here)

Rest of the taller guys all throw one hit and back off; and if i get one chin hit they need a pause ffs

But thats the best i get without driving +30min :/
>>
>>40269255
Of all the "meme" styles Aikido seems to have the fucking worst rep. Then again my only encounter with it was a fat guy who never seemed to have any strength, balance, co ordination or technique. He had been training for a while and I don't think he knew a single throw, takedown or submission. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be about besides some really vague "use your opponents force against them". I don't know if they ever trained with a resisting partner. Resistance might have been against their philosophy. I don't know if he was just shit, or got scammed by a mcdojo, or if Aikido is just a lot of shit.

>>40269320

A lot more chance for someone to rub their face or eyes against your tiger balm infused gii and be in agony. I'm going to use this in comps.
>>
>>40269387
I've actually met a couple legit Aikidoka. People need to remember it's a very defensive oriented fighting style. You can't use it in a 1v1 "fight" as you can almost never be aggressive with it. It relies on surprise and over aggressive attackers.

I can see it working well with another art. Good body control and distancing is needed.

Having said that, it doesn't mean it's a good style.

Same with Wing Chun as I mentioned earlier. Wing Chun principles applied to MT and boxing along with some of its sensitivity drills were pretty killer. On its own, not so much.
>>
>>40269375
>they were even mad at me for pushing to agressiv
You gotta keep in mind that going hard on a newbie is worthless for both you and them: beating on them excessively doesn't give them a chance to learn, and an easy victory for you doesn't do shit towards making you a better fighter. In situations like that, you're better off just trying out new/different shit that you're not so good at.

>only pay 60ā‚¬ each year though
Jealous. $80 (roughly 40 euro) is what I pay per month.
>>
>>40269255
You might have just had a bad sensei, though it is an admittedly 'dated' martial art. It is based on the unarmed combat style of the samurai and its use was for when your weapon was damaged or lost. You had to imagine your opponent was armed and you had to incapacitate them as quickly as possible - I've found a lot of modern styles adapted to competitiveness favour protracted combat for some reason. Maybe it just looks cool.

The style I practice, while possessing various unarmed striking and blocking techniques for curriculum, is heavily focused on wrist/joint locks. I'm not taught to achieve a knock out on my opponent - I'm taught to break their wrist, elbow, shoulder, or neck.
>>
>>40269658
>2 deadly 4 da ring

mate you're only taught to think you can break their wrist, elbow, shoulder, or neck.
>>
>>40269658
Let us imagine a 120kg Samoan guy is trying to punch the fuck out of you. You'll die before you get a wrist lock.
>>
File: I Dunno.jpg (62KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
I Dunno.jpg
62KB, 800x600px
>>40269697
>>40269806
>people can sprain/break their bones falling under their own bodyweight by themselves
>"I find it difficult to believe that any training could teach you to manoeuvre someone into sustaining such injuries."
>>
>>40269936
I find it difficult to believe that the *aikido* fluorishes, that don't get tested against resisting opponents, teach that.
>>
>>40269936
You doing a throw, or a fucking wrist lock?
>>
>>40267794

Is that why the karate kid remake was actually the kung fu kid? Is karate considered kung fu?
>>
>>40268759
Do you need a lot of money for BJJ, or is the entire thing just a meme?
>>
>>40267564
Where do I learn knife martial arts? Like, how do I fight a Gurkha 1-on-1 with a knife?
>>
>>40270011
I just started at a non-Gracie academy but under the first black belt of a Gracie so it's not a mcdojo, pay Ā£60/mo for 5 hours a week.
>>
>>40270019
eskrima

dunno if it's a meme or not
>>
>>40270044
What's a Gracie academy btw?

Also fuck, that's ridiculous. What's a more affordable art? I'm trying to decide between boxing/muay thai and judo/bjj. I'm thinking the latter of both because MT is full body, gets the legs involved too, and bjj has ground game, but I'm still not sure. Also poor.

But I also can't keep a mouthguard in without gagging, so I think I might be fucked in every aspect.
>>
>>40269976
You mean an 'uke'? Aikido trains with with two people simulating an attack being diffused by a 'nage' or 'tori'. Of course we can't purposefully injure a training partner just to prove that our techniques work. The simulation does demonstrate that a person who tries to struggle against a lock will injure themselves, or a person who is unprepared for a throw will receive maximum damage. And there are techniques trained in being able to get out of (some) locks, and how to land and roll when thrown to eliminate/minimise injury.

>>40269979
Which ever is appropriate. If there is not a lot of momentum behind the strike, lock it. If there is, redirect the momentum and throw it.
>>
>>40270116
Judo has ground game too

Go to a session or two of each before deciding.

More important than the style is the quality of instruction m8
>>
>>40267564
Martial arts is not an art.
>>
>>40270179
True.

Any idea about mouthguards btw?
>>
>>40268101
if you're getting in random bar fights it's time to grow up and stop being 19 years old
>>
>>40270172
uke does not imply resistance, a simulated attack is not the same as randori.

How can you trust your techniques when you've never tested them against an *unwilling* opponent
>>
>>40270229
Soak it in hot water until it's malleable enough, put it inside of your mouth and bite down on it and try to shape it so it'll hold in your teeth.

Or just not wear them while sparring.
>>
Kyokushin karate or judo? I want a hobby that lets me meet people and get a good workout while helping me train away my fear of conflicts.
>>
>>40270703
>Kyokushin
I used to do that back in the day. The instructors were ex-military and the sparring was brutal (bare-knuckle without punches to the head). Most of us would leave black and blue and the dropout rate was high.

>judo
It's fun.
>>
>>40267778
Doubt it...
>>
>>40268398
> allow me to do a flying armbar on pavement
> allow me to get my skull cracked

If you're not used to messing around with more open rules, you're going to find yourself in some pretty compromising positions.

Also, how often do you REALLY practice punch counters against a good puncher throwing full speed, and in combinations?
>>
>>40269085
It's Namman Muay Thai Boxing Oil... it's ubiquitous over there. They practically douse fighters in it before fights, and rub it in. It is a mild analgesic, and feels a bit like Tiger Balm but it's much faster acting. I'd recommend trying it, it's not expensive... you can probably find it cheaper on Amazon.
>>
TFW I have done taekwpndonut since I was 6 years old couldn't agree more it is fuxking memeshit and does not work in the slightest.
>>
>>40269212
I train at a fairly traditional gym, we usually start with a few laps, some rope, but we're encouraged to get there early and do independent warming up. In Thailand, they wake up at 6AM and run 10k every day, and train for 6 hours a day... obviously no one here does that.

After the light warmup and active stretches, it's usually technical drills, followed by padwork (focus mitts, Thai pads, kick shields), and light sparring that mixes in what we drilled that day, hard sparring is last for those that want to participate. Some people stay late and do a lot of heavy bag work too.
>>
>>40270261
But I'm only 19 once anon
>>
>>40267778
MMA isn't a single discipline. Competitors in MMA use varying yet distinct style of martial arts. Of which ones are you a practitioner, friendo?
>>
I want to learn judo but am too pussy to go in and ask. Fucking introverts man
>>
>>40269658
No offense, but no one takes these claims seriously. The drills are usually against unrealistic attacks against complaint partners. It also tends to emphasize spirituality and things of that nature, and some instructors even say it's more about the philosophy than about serious combat.

There's a reason why you don't see any high level fighters using Aikido. It's similar to the esoteric Chinese styles that are generally lumped under the Kung Fu umbrella. When they are rigorously tested against non-compliant opponents, they fail spectacularly. The amount of group think and other types of bias that goes on at these schools is staggering.
>>
>>40270116
My MT gym I think recently raised its price to $150.

If you want a good instructor, it'll cost you and it'll be worth it. There are tons of instructors out there that make some basic mistakes because they have never personally competed at a high level, so they don't know how costly their oversights are.

One common oversight I see often, even with pro fighters, is not moving your head off of the center-line when throwing a low kick. Plenty of people have been knocked out this way.

I'd ask about the experience of the instructor, their level of competition, if they have any students that compete at a high level, etc. before throwing money at them.
>>
File: flair.jpg (142KB, 758x688px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
142KB, 758x688px
>>40270011
The twin arts of judo and bjj are often compared, and between the two bjj tends to cost more.
Three basic reasons for this that a post is too short for but I will try.
1. Judo has the Olympic infrastructure behind it.
2. Back when judo was founded, itt was the first Japanese martial art that allow caste mixing. Progressive at the time, Kano didn't care who you were, or what your lineage was, because the only thing that matters in his eyes is your performance on the mat on that day. This is why judoka generally have very plain looking gis.
3. The Gracie family knows how to sell a product. Expect to have dojo approved uniforms to roll with certain dojos.
>>
>>40271701
I remember when I first stepped into my gym for the first time last April... I was pretty nervous, but by the end of class I knew I made the right decision, no doubt about it. Also a lot of places have a fairly low drop-in fee. I really doubt you'll regret it. You'll make some new friends, and it'll help with your confidence and anxiety.
>>
HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts)

Obviously most people just fight with swords, but most of the wrestling moves are incredibly practical and deadly. Lots of defences/counters against knives as well. I just wish there were more medieval sources on punching and kicking, but at least we have the 19th century works for that.
>>
>>40271778
One of the good thing about more expensive places with a name like Gracie is that you'll often times get some serious people that will teach you a lot and compete often. You can have a great instructor, but if you have a bunch of classmates that aren't serious about their training, you won't get as much out of it. Some of them allow you to train at affiliated gyms as well, though I'm not sure if that goes for Gracie.
>>
>>40267564
I agree with you on 3/4 of kung fu styles,
done 5 years of wing chun though and its mostly street fighting applications.
as far as what will help you in a street fight here is what i've done and what i would rate it personally (everyone is different)
> wing chun 8.5/10
> Boxing 8/10, no kicking or weapons
> escrima 9/10, awesome knife work
> Japanese jujitsu 7/10

Most shit is good but if you train at a non contact gym you are going to get the shit kicked out of you in a real life situation.
>>
>>40267886
nah its pretty good as a whole
>>
>>40268906
sounds brutal
>>
>>40267902
most combative styles dont want you to end up on the ground, way to easy for anyone near by to kick your face in.
>>
>>40267918
>depends on the club
/thread
>>
>>40268475
Wing chun really depends on the school, if your not getting concussed at least once a month find a different school
>>
File: 6234723475.jpg (80KB, 525x389px) Image search: [Google]
6234723475.jpg
80KB, 525x389px
>>40270011
It's a meme. I mean the goal for it is to be in a floor submission hold to incapacitate the opponent offensively. It does not work when you are surrounded or against someone who actually knows how to fight. It is considered military tier, and frankly it is not that useful in most military situations.
>>
>>40267564
Been doing karate since I was young...shit, 12 years doing it now. THought I was top shit and that most other fighters would have nothing on me because muh tradishonal trainingz. I recently started an MMA class and holy fuck, most of these guys could pound me into the ground. The more I do it the more karate feels like a bunch of old, fat dudes talking about how great they would be if they ever actually got into a fight. I'm technically an assistant instructor at a dojo, and I feel like the only reason I even bother now is because these people need somebody to tell them "no, this shit wouldn't work in real life, don't believe you're great because your belt is yellow".

Anybody else ever go through something like this? A massive disillusionment with a meme tier martial art?
>>
>>40268357
Not same anon, but:
>Developed with the sole intention of holding off a person for about 20 seconds while your buddies all point their guns and open fire; not meant for hand to hand
>Pretty much no regulation; most instructors nowadays don't even know it themselves, they just took a few months of lessons and called themselves an expert
>"This is how I'd utterly destroy somebody if they stood still and didn't resist at all. It's practical, I promise"
>Fedoras everywhere; not who you want to train with

>>40271855
No it isn't.

>>40268475
FUck off, Shotokan actually has some sort of regulation at least. Also the JKA is the biggest karate org in the world. While most dojos have become meme tier with the retarded internal politics going on at the moment, the top guys are still good fighters.
>>
Where does military combatives fall into this?
Been trying to get into a class for ages but my unit is run by faggots so it's impossible to get a slot
>>
>>40267778
OP asked about martial arts not sports
>>
File: 1474776789500.gif (996KB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
1474776789500.gif
996KB, 300x289px
>>40272009
>don't believe you're great because your belt is yellow

This is why I stopped karate. I learned enough as a collage unit class when I returned, and the fact that as a kid contact sparring was only for purple and above while the rest watched.
>>
Is 80 bucks a month MWF a good price to learn bjj. Im stuck in oki for 2 years so I figure that and some striking would be good.
>>
>>40272224
I do 70$ a month for Judo, and its worth it. Make sure the BJJ place has a very good instructor.
>>
>>40272009
karate is most fucking meme ever suitable for 6 years old girls at best
those coffee-table-like standings and fucking robocop moves, karate is pure cringe
>>
>>40272377
This is my future instructor
https://youtu.be/mz0yKetjuFE
>>
>>40269375
You sound like Charlie Zelenoff.
>>
>>40272009

Since you were young you can't be blamed for falling for the karate meme

I train at BJJ with a guy who has black belt in karate and he realized quickly that it had no real world application when in univeristy he got into a street fight against a guy who'd been boxing for about 2 months and he was beaten senseless. Obviously some martial arts training is better than none, but that is like saying having a knife in a potential gunfight is better than not having a knife at all. I did nothing but boxing from 14-19 but then realized that even a national championship level boxer would get his arse handed to him by an average level muay thai amateur.

Imo if you can do BJJ & Muay thai whilst supplementing your BJJ with judo/wresting and your Muay Thai with pure boxing you'll be able to fuck up 99% of untrained guys in a street fight within 20lbs of your bodyweight.
>>
>>40270261
>bar
>19
This is an American website.
>>
File: nastroenie-kendo-put-mecha-5214.jpg (85KB, 670x446px) Image search: [Google]
nastroenie-kendo-put-mecha-5214.jpg
85KB, 670x446px
>>40267564
Is Kendo meme tier?
I started last september and i'm enjoying it so far
>>
>>40273383
>cosplay
>>
>>40271841
Nigga are you retarded? Wing chun is shit.
>>
>>40273383
Star wars is literally kendo.

https://youtu.be/4vGjNnZhJFI
>>
>mfw I just caught a BJJ black belt who won his division at Europeans with an aikido wristlock
> :3
>>
>>40271697
MMA is a mix of all martial arts, mainly kickboxing, jiu jitsu, judo and muay thai. I have one complete year of exp so I'm pretty sure I could kick your ass easily.
>>
>>40267564
I did boxing for a long time and sucked in wrestling in high school. I heard Judo can put you in pretty compromising positions, so I'm doing jiu jitsu now. It seems pretty dope
>>
>>40274286
You can put yourself in comprising positions just like you can avoid them.
>>
no boxing gym nearby
Is it a good idea to start boxing at home on a heavy bag?
>>
BJJ is the best
>>
I do judo.
I don't give a shit about self-defense, it's designed to be good workout and I find it a lot of fun.
Running is the bets self defense you can learn. Martial arts as self-defense are a meme and thinking that you are some badass that will win fights will make you more prone to get into fights and be hurt which is presumably what you wanted to avoid in the first place.
>>
>>40273383
Kendo is not a meme but it's really weeaboo fencing, it's a good workout and a sport with a lot of depth to it but not really a martial art that's supposed to be effective in a "real world" fight.
>>
>>40269255
BJJ doesn't have any real world application either, unless you think laying on the ground and spreading your legs is going to save you in a fight.
>>
>>40269430
It doesn't help that the Aikikai foundation has watered down O'sensei's teaching to the point where it's platitudinous bullshit and hippy-level "pacifism."
>>
>>40274918
It can be useful to learn to effectively restrain people so if some drunken shithead that is already half-fainting starts getting aggressive you can end the situation quickly, Having said that you shouldn't really practice martial arts for that,the goal should be to keep practicing past the age where drunken brawls are a concern for you.
>>
>>40274918
confirmed for never being in a real fight.
it's irresponsible to give people advice when you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>40267564
I do the "style" my instructor does. On any given day it could be something taken from Aikido, Systema, BJJ, Boxing, MBC, etc... Style isn't so important as staying relax in violent situations, and knowing how to move efficiently. If your instructor is not teaching you how to do that, they're teaching you wrong.
>>
>>40269159
>>40269201
>>40269320
Thank you I'll give it a chance on Monday
>>
>>40274918
All fights go to the ground. unless you are fighting a normie who gives up after a few leg kicks make him fall down.

When you are on the ground knowing what to do is paramount.

BJJ also allows you to bypass the striking phase of fighting, which is good for you because it eliminates the chance of them getting a lucky shot in.

ideally you want to be on the ground, sitting on their stomach, punching their face. when they roll to get way take their back and choke them unconscious.

all the navy seals recommend learning BJJ, striking is secondary and ineffective against grappling.
>>
>>40268175

Well, yeah. If something other than that worked, that's what would be winning competitions.

inb4 muh sport vs street
>>
>>40267662
>especially kung fu
>>40267564
>Meme martial arts:
>Kung Fu

Kung Fu is an unmbrella term for beign devoted to something. You can calligraphy kung fu, you can have kung fu in other sports etc. Just because some retards in the west decided that Kung fu would be a catch-all term for all styles of Chinese martial arts is just idiocy on their part.

Karate and Tae kwon do are also unfairly biased against. Whilst I won't disagree with the fact that they are amongst the most popular schools in the west and have the most McDojos going for them that does not mean that the martial arts in themselves are impractical or useless. Train real Karate (again there are many types of Karate depending on region of Japan) and find a TKD school which focuses purely on self-defence and actual martial application rather than the sport angle of it and they are both valid and decent systems to train in.
>>
>>40274979
BJJ will get you killed. You're falling for a marketing scam.

http://streamable.com/w8vwx
>>
>>40272045
>FUck off, Shotokan actually has some sort of regulation at least.

Yeah, they're regulated to be consistently terrible. You have 26 goddamn forms to learn and a shitty point-stop sparring format. Nothing about Shotokan even resembles fighting.

And no, Machida isn't your Shotokan messiah. He was good, won a few fights, and is literally the only person to come out of what you already admit is the biggest karate org in the world. That's not the superiority of Shotokan. That's just the luck of the draw as you happened to have a guy with great talent grow up doing your inferior crap.
>>
>>40269255
>No more than ballet.

Ballet at a pro level requires excellent balance, pose, and flexibility - all of these things would benefit someone in a fight. Same way doing calisthenics like push-ups and sit-ups aren't fighting techniques in themselves but condition and train the body in ways which are good for fighting.
>>
>>40275063
NO U
>>
>>40275019
There's no such thing as ideally in real life. Try again.
>>
>>40269936

I believe that you believe you are learning that, but you aren't. Your training partners throw themselves.
>>
>>40274965
Yeah agreed, but you should also not be learning just one style for that amount of time.
>>
>>40273069
it is not
>>
>>40267564
For self defense I train running. Got out of every fight I ever was in completely unscathed.
>>
>Karate is a meme

Tell that to a Kyokushin guy. Get that skull caved in real quick along with some broken ribs
>>
>>40268101
I get into random bar fights all the time and the bigger or taller guy wins. When you are piss drunk and angry it's pretty much strength and size that matters.

I got knocked out by a Chad but beat a manlet up good.
>>
Choose a striking art and grappling one

Ie boxing or muay Thai

and judo or bjj

That's it. No bullshit maga or gung shit
>>
>>40267564
ninjitsu
>>
Muy thai
judo OR greco roman wrestling
bjj

there you go you are a well rounded fighter.
>>
>>40275019
Any grappling art with more of a standing focus will do almost all of that more efficiently, as well as teaching you how not to fall down in the first place. And while the groundwork is obviously less in-depth, it is easily up to the task.

Tbh, in the few situations where I had to use martial arts, I relied on Judo and Aikido rather than BJJ. They allow you to put a stop to the whole situation far faster.
>>
>>40273708
That's Djem So, idiot.
>>
>>40275309
>greco roman wrestling
gay
>>
>>40275019
Pretty sure the navy seals recommend shooting people
>>
>>40274576
Yes and no. You should really practice your technique well before hitting a bag or you'll hurt yourself

>>40275019
I've been in a lot of fights as a dumb drunk and also as a bouncer and not one has been to the ground. Unless you count the time when I got jumped and thrown to the ground a kicked a few time by a bunch of people.

Anyone that would choose to goto the ground is a fucking idiot. Its good to know stuff if you ever find yourself down there, though.

>>40275063
The video is fake but the idea isn't. Being on the ground is stupid.

(the video is a krav maga propaganda piece)
>>
>>40271855
Real Krav Maga is decent, but most of the mcdojos that teach it give a very watered down version. If anyone here plans on taking it up, do a lot of research first.
>>
>>40272744
This guy knows what he is talking about.
I'd even say just doing BJJ and Muay Thai on the side
>>
>>40268104
no
>>
Why's everyone shitting on BJJ, you people do realize there's a thing such as top game, and most subs can be done from both top and bottom.
As a sidenote, I think wrestling looks the coolest and is the best sport in terms of physical development due to the way you are forced to exercise.
>>
>>40275096
Nah you're a dumbass. It's almost like you didn't read to understand and instead found a talking point so you can seem smart on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>40275063
I mean, if he'd actually just broke his arm that probably wouldn't have happened. If I decide I need to armbar someone in a real fight, I'm snapping their arm.
>>
>>40267564
I kind of do muay thai but would like to train in other arts, just time and money is the problem. Doing boxing, csw, muay thai, and bjj at one time is expensive.
>>
>>40276854
I wanted to do more with csw, but I'm uninsured right now and have to get over the fear of falling backwards. Fucked up my toe and two of my fingers when I tried it out for a bit, plus the dude I was sparring with is a total badass and I was a bit intimidated.
>>
>>40275019
>all the navy seals...

...aren't as tough as you think they are when it's a fight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Wolff

if they have guns, yea intimidating. without it? it's anyone's guess.
>>
>>40267564
All these martial arts and nobody posted the best one:

Hapkido [spoiler]in combination with Muay Thai[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>40275290
>>
Hey fit, need some advice, what Martial Art is good for both working out and self defense. Im a slightly chubby queer who wants to learn how to lose weight and git gud at protecting myself, had a incident a few weeks ago that kinda opened my eyes to how squisy and pathetically vulnerable i am so i wanna fix that.
>>
>>40277541
Judo if you want the muscles, bjj if you want more cardio.
>>
>>40276961
please look into jocko willink
>>
>>40273383
Dog Brothers or bust
>>
>>40277668
Jocko has become a meme unfortunately and all to his own doing. GET AFTER IT, BJJ, WAKE UP EARLY are the only things he knows how to say
>>
>>40276777
>why is everyone shitting on BJJ

because they are roleplayers who don't practice martial arts and have never been a in a fight so they think striking is dominant.

We didn't have this on /asp/ where people actually did the martial arts.

these are /fit/heads who think boxing is tough and they are all about being a "tough man", not winning fights.
>>
>>40275065
They're about 90 times better than the numerous splinter orgs and shitty dojos who don't really have a style.

Also, wasn't talking about Machida, kek.
>>
I'd like to do something that's 90% grappling. More brute strength involved and less head injuries.

No time or money right now though, need to make some life gains.
>>
>>40275290
Actually made me laugh. Nice one anon.
>>
>>40278665
Judo or form of Jiu Jitsu
>>
>>40276777
I think it's mostly because pure competition BJJ has some holes in it with real life applications, but if you know your BJJ you know what those holes are and how to cover them.

People will watch the UFC and think "OMG HE COULD JUST KNEE THAT BJJ GUY IN THE HEAD RIGHT THERE IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE RULES!" but the only reason the grappler takes that position in the first place is because the rules allow it.

>>40276854
Unless you're fighting full-time, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all of that at a competent level... and even then, that's pushing it.

>>40278165
I listened to the first 7 or 8 episodes of his podcast, and that's the impression I got. He became very repetitive. His personal experiences were interesting for awhile, but that well eventually ran dry. He tends to draw his points out to the point where it becomes tedious to listen, and his monotonous speaking voice didn't help matters.

>>40278198
I agree, I'd like to see them drop in decent class and roll with someone a few belts in and 30 pounds lighter, and hear what they have to say after that.

>>40278665
If you're relying on brute strength in grappling, you're doing it wrong. It helps, but you'll gas out in 15 seconds if that's what your main focus is. I'd honestly advise dropping in sometime, it'll probably cost no more than $25 at a decent gym, some are free.
>>
>>40267564
Hello, beginner in boxing here. What are some tips to block body shots? I use an orthodox stance.

I know the left arm blocks the left side and the right arm blocks the right side. What about straight shots? I usually take those with my lead arm, the left. How can I block those diagonal shots that are aimed between my arms straight to my belly? Should I use the right arm or left arm in this situation? Not sure which arm is better for that, the left feels more comfortable but I feel like it over commits and leaves my left ribs exposed.
>>
>>40268155
You forget that the communist party of China heavily suppressed Chinese martial arts, which is why their spread and development got slowed down even setback.

People had to practice it in secret for about 60 ish years. There are only really traditional practitioners in the mountains and villages that teach kung fu properly, or military close combat instructors.

However, with the development of Sanda and MMA competitions' popularity in China, it's spreading again.

Kungfu is prone to mcdojo syndrome because the real practitioners want to keep their stuff 'super sekret', also, oddly enough it's one of the few things Chinese people don't try to commercialise super hard like we do with many other things.
>>
>>40278665
Catch wrestling imo. Sambo is great too, it combines elements from Judo, western wrestling along with Central Asian and Siberian grappling systems.
>>
>>40268343
Don't laugh about it, you get slammed on concrete, you're dead.
>>
>>40279571
The key is using your legs to move and not let him have angles to put a punch in. Second advice is seeing the pattern and going for counters, especially on hooks.
n soluti9n is fast counters.
>>
>>40269212
My regular routine is:
5-10 minutes of skipping with a weighted rope and 3 sets of
25 push ups
50 sit ups
50 calf raises
50 squats
50 hop squats

Then 45 minutes of pad work.
I do this 6 days a week with an added hour of sparring on 3 of those days.
>>
>>40270229
Get a molded one from an orthodontist. Boil and bite is shit.
>>
>>40267829
>Gracie jiu jitsu
ass climbing wrestling
>>
>>40276777
The glaring weakness in its standing game. Sure, it has a top game, and has definitely improved my Judo to the point where most of my competition wins are on the ground because my ground game is now light years ahead, but the takedown game is lacking.

Saw one of the best coaches/fighters in the area teach o soto gari. He missed several vital details; if one were to use that version during Judo you'd find yourself flat on your back. The man is a 4th degree black belt under Carlson Gracie...
>>
>>40268261
> They do have standard kicks that most striking arts have. In it for its non fighting aspects.

That's the entire idea of the sport. It's a martial art disguised as a dance. The useful fighting moves are hidden in the dance.
>>
>>40269936
I find it difficult to believe I won't choke you the fuck out you fucking autismo.

Come into our MMA ring with your Aikido bullshit and see hoe long you last bro.
>>
>>40281244
Useful fighting moves?
It's incredibly inefficient, and while it's unconventional and can catch some people off-guard, that is mostly all it really has going for it. If you don't have the space, if your opponent doesn't panic or if they have any training of their own, I don't see it going your way.

I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but if your goal is being able to defend yourself against a wide variety of opponents in a variety of situations, I don't see it being all that effective.

If you're more concerned about the artistic aspect, if you find it fun, enjoy the challenge and exercise, etc., then I think it'd probably be great for that.
>>
Reading trough this thread makes me so sad for the art of Karate. It truly has been smeared into the ground as a memesport, and I can't actually blame people. What with McDojos around who teach you bullshit and who do nothing but jew you out of cash. It's fucking sad. Real Karate is awesome as fuck.
>>
>>40281300
There are some great Karate schools that produce high-level fighters, but they're definitely in the minority. Most of them are belt mills for kids or very casual adults.

TKD suffered a similar fate... it was designed for military use in combat boots against targets wearing helmets. It's been universally corrupted into a demonstration sport and for useless point fighting. It's practically gymnastics.
>>
>>40281295
Im not saying its useful. Im saying that this is how the sport came to be and developed. It was literally slaves who practiced "dance" while they also trained a martial art.
>>
File: 1485989761268.jpg (59KB, 299x275px) Image search: [Google]
1485989761268.jpg
59KB, 299x275px
Savate and Boxing. On a hiatus because of health problem. I seriously miss it.
>>40281300
I think it's sad to. Karate is nothing but Kickboxing when you think of it and has produced great fighters, but in the West there's such a focus on the exoticism that people don't want to do Karate to fight, they want the cultural aspect heavily romanticized. And where there's demand there's offer, so we got all these terrible school.
>>40281325
TKD is so fucking sad. Have you seen it at Rio ? What a fucking joke. It was cringy. Absolutely no power, fighters were lightly tapping each other and it was broken every 5 seconds. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
I did 2 years of Tae Kwon Do when I was younger. It's a meme.

You go buy (yes, buy) all 4 weapons of the ninja turtles to bring to practice. A katana, a bo staff, a pair of chucks, and a pair of sai. You don't practice with the weapons a whole lot, maybe once a week.

It's mostly self defense. You do learn how to strike people, but most of it boils down to how to block, how to get out of grapples, and how to reverse a grapple into putting them into a grapple.

None of it is very practical, but it was fun because meme martial arts are entertaining to be a part of when you're a kid.
>>
>>40281369
I trained MT with a guy whose gf came in silver. The number of 0-0 matches was mind-blowing. So many of them act like very timid fencers. Even most TKD practitioners think the WTF Olympic style ruined the art. I've heard ITF is better, some even train a bit more like Shotokan and they actually hit each other a bit, though you're not supposed to do damage, no heel strikes, etc... It's better, but still pretty diluted.
>>
>Be a full contact Goju Ryu karateka and also attend an MMA gym which does BJJ and Muay Thai
>Never tell any of the MMA guys I do Karate because they'll laugh at me
>Unironically learn more about striking and fight psychology in the Goju Ryu class
>>
>>40281393
Yeah but they're still restrictive and don't really encourage going for KO, which leads to these overly technical point based system.
Olympic boxing is on the way to finally getting interesting with the removal of helmets and all but TKD is stuck like you said in that fencing mindset.
>>
>>40281425
I think that's more indicative of the quality of the instructors.
>>
>>40267960
bump on this one senpai
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.