[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mid/Upper Back Pain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image1211.gif (61KB, 428x595px) Image search: [Google]
image1211.gif
61KB, 428x595px
Hey fit

I'm doing SS, going pretty well, but I guess I need to improve my form on one of my lifts. I've narrowed it down to either the overhead press or the Pendlay row.

Whenever I do this day, I start to get mid upper back pain for a couple of days after. Pic related. The pain seems a little sharp and I can stimulate it by taking deep breaths.

Which one of these lifts is fucking my back up? I want to remove it for a bit and confirm that it's the source.
>>
The problem may be in your ohp. Aren't you leaning too much to the back while pressing?
>>
BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFPPPPTTTHHHFHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFS
>>
>>40233322
fucknard

>>40233311
You mean it could be that I'm leaning back to much? One thing I do with OHP a bit is a little dip at the bottom where I bend my legs a little and then 'pop' back up to help the bar along. It was in one of Mark Rippetoes videos.
>>
>>40233280
I got this type of pain really bad and over the last year I tried to keep working out and it just got worse and worse. My advice would be: stop immediately at the first sign of any pain. Probably give up on SS for now. I wish I had done that because now I'm afraid my shit is permanently snapped up.
>>
When I first starting StrongLifts waaay back I had a pain like you describe. It felt like it was in my back or rib on one side, hurt to breathe, bend, twist, or lie down. I'm pretty sure it was an intercostal strain from deadlifting or valsalva'ing too aggressively.
>>
>>40233280
Does it pop when you squeeze your shoulders together?
>>
>>40233482
>bend my legs a little and then 'pop' back up
Don't. That's called Kipping and is cheating.
>>
>>40233280
I sometimes experienced a similar pain when I started SS. It was due to leaning back when starting the OHP movement. Several solutions:

1) Use a trap bar
2) Use dumbbells
3) Sit on a bench
4) Use a belt
5) Work on your form (it might be a form problem)

I used a belt for a while, watched my form closely, and the pain decreased. Then it just disappeared. I don't know if I got stronger, or my form improved, or what exactly solved it. Today, I'm doing more weight, I never use a belt, and I never feel back pain.

>I want to remove it for a bit and confirm that it's the source.
Be sure to replace it with Bench. Bench works similar muscles, so you can still improve your OHP without doing OHP.
>>
Thanks dudes, I'm about to head to the gym. My back feels fine now, I just know if I do the same shit it will hurt again for a bit. I'll probably either cut it out for now, or just do really light weights and work on my form a little more closely.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.