[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner program - SL5x5 or SS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: rockyfeature_rocky1_rocky.jpg (24KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
rockyfeature_rocky1_rocky.jpg
24KB, 200x250px
Ok, I have never done serious training before. I've decided that this year I'm going to get on a decent program and finally start lifting, so I've been working my way through the sticky and I'm getting my shit together.

From what I can tell, to suit my goals I should be going for SS or SL5x5 with modifications - namely tricep/bicep exercises e.g. pull ups and dips, a balanced diet (no GOMAD) and some cardio for general health. This debate is old as shit now I'm sure but could you guys give me the pros and cons of going for either SS or SL5x5, with modifications?
>>
5x5 will get you a LOT of strength if you're a beginner and will whip you into shape if you're not. Start light and less than 2 months in you will be seeing all kinds of strength gains.
>>
>>40155328
doesn't fucking matter. what matters is that you start.
>>
>>40155341
when working at that high intensity 5x5 is bad as 3x5 will give you the same gains while maintaining better form.

if you are going to struggle with last rep or two on the first set, rest assured it will only get worse from there on out and form should be priority for beginners, not weight.

once you are past a certain point adaptations happen regardless. those 2 extra sets won't make him any more stronger.
>>
>>40155341
If I made quick gains that would be great but I don't mind how long shit takes, I'm used to playing the long game. So you would advocate 5x5 over 3x5?
>>40155344
I'm going to, I'm eager to start but I tried before without educating myself and I got nowhere. I want to do shit right
>>
>>40155373
I'm just going off my experience with 5x5 that added a lot of strength for me and whipped me in shape. I was already fit, but I wasn't as strong as I am now. When I started I couldn't do one diamond pushup without touching my chest to the ground and now I can do a lot without touching the ground. Try whatever you think is best, as long as you're lifting properly and adding weight progressively, you will gain strength.
>>
When nearing the middle - end of SL, 5x5 squats and other exercises can become "too much" either in volume or in the time it takes to complete a full workout so they suggest bumping it down to 3x5.... which is basically SS at that point.

I kept it simple and did SS with a few accessories added in. Making my delicious noob gains right now. Eating and sleeping is well is VERY important.
>>
>>40155394
How many calories do you eat, anon? What kind of macros?
>>
Do warmup sets + 3 working sets + dropsets, leaves you absolutely exhausted but without the risk of going to snap city because honestly it feels like if you do four working sets your form will be terrible by the fifth unless youre lifting babby weight

Just my opinion, I've never tried SL and it is obviously a really popular routine so you can't really go wrong with either
>>
Is there a kind of "go-to" modified SS program out there to follow?
>>
>>40155328
ICF
>>
>>40155344
This every half decent programm works for a beginner
>>
>>40155328
5x5 seems rather overwhelming, recovery after few first workouts will be a hell on earth. I personally do SS, and my form is still far from perfect, and doing 2 more sets with working weight gonna fuck my form up even more.
>>
>>40156025
Your 5x5 weight isn't supposed to be the same as your 3x5 weight.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.