[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i have a homegym, can i just leave the weights on the rack? or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: SquatBenchPressRack.png (337KB, 494x480px) Image search: [Google]
SquatBenchPressRack.png
337KB, 494x480px
i have a homegym, can i just leave the weights on the rack?
or will it randomly break after a year suddenly?

i guess in my case it shouldnt matter, i only have ~50kg on it
>>
>>40119768

Break? Unlikely.

Warp the bar? Over time, yeah.
>>
Dont do it.
>>
No reason to keep anything besides the bar on it.
>>
As a structural engineer, my answer is no.
Steel has a certain limit of elasticity where you can bend it and it will return to its original shape after the force is removed. Any more than that and you enter the realm of "plasticity", where it bends and stays bent. Meaning if you take the weight off it and it goes back to being perfectly straight, then that weight is ok and is always going to be ok no matter how long you leave it on

What you are talking about where it suddenly breaks is due to "creep". Creep is present in concrete, timber, etc, where the material continues to respond to stress even though the force is exactly the same. But not steel.
>>
>>40120456
Although i forgot to add, you shouldnt be leaving the weights on because it sounds like youre skipping your warmups. Dont be an idiot
>>
File: 1430007651229.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1430007651229.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
>>40120456
>>40120461

How have I never seen your insight in any other threads? I feel like you could put a stop to a lot of the broscience
>>
>>40120456
Steel does creep though. Constant load also causes fatigue in the bar. But I guess unless you're loading it with serious weight it will be negligible.
>>
>>40119768
Just remember that those 50 kgs are before you put the plates on - when the holes in them are still empty.
As those empty spaces are filled with the bar sliding in the plate ends up weighing more.
Of course this also means that the more holes you have to fill, the more total weight you have, so for example 2x20 an 2x5 plates will end up weighing a lot less than 4x10 and 2x5.
>>
>>40120461

Different anon and idk what OP's doing, but personally I'm guilty of occasionally leaving weights on the bar at the end of the workout when I'm tired and lazy, then I clear it all up by the start of the next workout and proceed with warm ups like a good boy.
>>
>>40120510
(You)
>>
>>40120510
>+ 1 emoji like
>>
>>40119768
pick up after yourself you lazy fucking shit
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.