[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Incomplete reps/series: Can't push myself hard enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: A8ai7PI.png (199KB, 1200x1332px) Image search: [Google]
A8ai7PI.png
199KB, 1200x1332px
Hey /fit/,

I have problems finishing my reps/sets. Now, I understand that this can be perfectly normal, sometimes you’re just too tired or the weights are too heavy. But I feel that in my case it happens a lot sooner than it should and after the training I don’t feel as tired or fatigued as would happen if I pushed myself to my limits. I usually lower the weights so that I can complete the sets, but then again: I don’t feel fatigued later.

Any insights into what could the reason be?

I’ve tried to just keep pushing, maybe I was just being too easy on myself, but it doesn’t help. I simply cannot command my muscles to work hard enough. I only very rarely feel that “burn” (not in a way that hurts) of making the muscles work to their limits.

I just started training again and I’m currently on a brosplit recommended by the gym’s instructor. I tried discussing it with him but it was a bit unhelpful, he just said it’s normal for beginners to feel that they can lift more than they’re actually capable and end up disappointed with their loads, and I’m sure I must be a little guilty of that, but this is not the first time that I train.

I tried SS a couple years ago and was following the standard /fit/ script: counting calories, 1g protein/lb of body weight, all that jazz. For squats, deadlifts and bench press I was progressing as you’d expect, but I couldn’t increase my OHP stats for my life. Now, I was eating right, training right, sleeping right and I STILL had the problem I mentioned above: my arms would simply disregard my brain’s order to push harder. They’d just stop there. No burn, nothing, would just stop.

I’ve been thinking about taking creatine, as it is supposed to increase the amount of energy available for muscles during training and I suspect that’s what I’m lacking, but would like first to ask you guys for insights or if you have/had any similar experience, and how you deal/dealt with it.

Thanks for any info you can provide
>>
nice blog post

if you're convinced you're pushing yourself as much as you can. then either you're a pussy and you need to try harder. or you just overestimate your own strength
>>
>>40045297
Thanks for the input. Yes, I believe that I could just be a pussy, but there's anything that I can do short of being inside someone else's mind to see if I'm just not trying hard enough. I feel like I try, I literally cannot push harder. If it is just psychologial, then I'd like some help to overcome it. "Trying harder" might be the right advice, but how do I do that, exactly?
>>
How about some actual numbers?

I know of powerlifters who are national record holders in squat and deadlift but can't bench or press more than the average bro.

Not many ever get a 3 plate bench or 2 plate overhead, 2 plate bench takes ages for most. You may just be average.
>>
>>40045467
Well, I admit I'm a bit ashamed of my results, but ok:

BP: 1 plate
Squat: 2 plates
DL: 2.5 plates (yeah, I know...)
OHP:.... 8kg each side

Like, wtf
>>
Probably arent working out consistently enough and arent eating so that you have good energy before your workout. Eat a good meal 2 hours before and stop skipping workouts. Also stop taking 5 minute rests between sets.
>>
>>40045613
Are you eating lots

If not, eat lots
>>
>>40045297
try harder faggot
I didn't think I could finish my last rep on my last set today but remembered some QT's were in there and I didn't wanna look like a bitch

Now everytime I'm gonna remember the QT's and how they would laugh if I didn't finish my set.

Shame can be a useful tool in the right mind
>>
>>40045613
Doesn't seem out of proportion though, should just keep going with everything.

In something basic like SS you're getting most of your arm strength from benching, maybe some dips if you added those, and that's going to have to progress quite a bit more before your ohp gets significantly higher.

Think of reaching 2 plate bench 1 plate ohp after many many months of consistent progress. ohp just progresses slow as all hell.

Now you can talk about going faster on push presses and adding other supporting lifts like direct tricep work, or trying different programs, but with these weights you just need to get stronger overall.

By any means necessary really.. and anything should work; any rep range, any tested program structure, whatever. Just keep doing the basic movements and get better at them in whatever way.
>>
You might try one hand dumbbell ohp to see if you can apply more force that way and progress better.

And you can finish the last reps you can't make strict anymore by push pressing them, or doing a few extra heavier sets that way.
>>
You are not lifting right numbers if youre not fatigued. A real 5rm you will feel like dying at the end of the set. For example: my eyes get bloodshot and im sweating all over from one set. Thats the state your body has to be in to really be hitting 85% for 5 and progress right.

You have to sit down and catch your breath at the end of that 1 set, and after that theres 2-4 more depending on program.

Just let this run through your mind next time you do 5 rep max.
>>
>>40045170

Not enough DMAA or Slayer
>>
OP here.

Thanks for all the answers, I was afraid that it could be something metabolic (excluding eating too little), but good to hear it's probably normal.

Will try to eat more and look for auxiliar excercises, as >>40045787 mentioned.

Good night, guys

(And yes, I'll keep "trying harder". Not being ironic, I'd be really glad if I was just whining and can learn how to overcome it)
>>
>>40045613
>BP: 1 plate
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.