[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I might have fibula stress fracture. Poor and no insurance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: fibula_stress_fracture.jpg (33KB, 850x786px) Image search: [Google]
fibula_stress_fracture.jpg
33KB, 850x786px
So I might have fibula stress fracture. Poor and no insurance to see doctor, so I'm playing it safe and stopping for six weeks. What can I do for cardio so I don't lose whatever little progress I made so far?
>I can't swim well enough to make it a routine
>biking, jump roping, airdyne, elliptical, leave me concerned I'm placing unnecessary stress on my fibula, even if VERY small.
any suggestions?
>>
>>40001452
bumpity
>>
>>40001452
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/20-minute/20-minute-water-workout/#block-bean-comments-box-for-users
i'm just gonna try this
>1. Jog in place 2. Tick-tock hop 3. Knee twist 4. Squat jump 5. Jog in place 6. Bicycle 7. Flutter kick 8. Pendulum swing 9. Crunch 10. Outer-thigh lift
i'll do each for 2 minutes
>>
>>40001452
Fucking swim and get good at it. Jesus christ do I need to wipe your ass as well?
>>
>>40002027
how do i get good at swimming without instruction? I can "swim" but not good enough to be a viable option for cardio. also as soon as 6 weeks are over, im getting back into running. will i learn and be proficient at swimming in 6 weeks? I doubt it.
>>
>>40001452
You might have stress fibula fracture?
Is that your Rx?
You can learn swimming if you have half a brain...if not just do your" swimming" but increase the amount you swim. You can later change from running to swimming...swimming is better.
>btw medical bro.Fibula is almost useless so no worry.
>>
>>40002237
well It's very likely its fibular because 1. i have flat arches so i pronate like crazy and end up looking like a duck. 2. it's actue in onset and it is bone pain, at first i though it was the cold, but when i lasted a few days and migrating to my lateral maleoulus, i realized it is now stressing the talofibular joint. 3. Ive been running every other day for the last 4 months and i'm a fat fuck.
I know it's not serious, but I'm into running finally and I'm progressing and I don't wanna lose my progress. the reason i'm looking for something specific is because I wanna do a 20 minute workout consistently, where as my "swimming" involved me going for half the pool length, stoping to burp after all the water i chugged, breathe because i haven't been breathing, and then having that distance slowly shrink with each stroke, until eventually i can't even go 2 yards/meters without having to stop for breath. I appreciate the input doc.
>>
>>40002270

Work on your technique, desu. Swimming is great cardio. You can also use a rowing machine, I don't think it puts too much stress on your bones.
>>
>>40002270
>>40002288

Also, biking and elliptical exercises put very little stress on your bones and joints. Both are highly recommended by doctors for older people who have problems with joint pain.

The major thing to avoid is any striking motion where you feet hit the ground. That's where you get alot of the stress.
>>
>>40002288
yeah i tried rowing for a bit, i wasn't sure about it or airdyne or any of the other stuff so i figure better safe than sorry. I have a history of aggravating nuances into injuries and regretting it, so I'm trying to lean towards the proactive side of the issue and stop before I have to react to a full blow injury.
>>
>>40002309
I might not be striking in those exercises, but I will be placing stress on leg, any chance it slows the healing process?
>>
>>40002324

No, exercise will actually strengthen you bones and joints. Your bones can handle the stress of holding your body up and any weight you might be lifting.

The force you generate when your feet strike the ground at even jogging pace is often 10-15x your body weight. It's those forces that you need to avoid.

As long as your feet stay on the ground while you're doing cardio, you're fine.

http://greatist.com/fitness/take-it-easy-21-unexpected-low-impact-workouts
>>
>>40002340
>Your bones can handle the stress of holding your body up and any weight you might be lifting
is that still the case IF there IS a stress fracture? because from what I've seen, people with stress fractures always end up aggravating them to full blown tendon rupture in the ankles. That is another reason i'm so worried.
>>
>>40002340
aside from swimming though, it does seem like rowing, elliptical and biking are my only legitimate alternatives to get adequate intensity.
>>
>>40002382
>>40002390

From a purely physics-based perspective, the newtons you're generating during biking or other low-impact cardio is actually less than the number of newtons generated from walking.

Unless the doctor told you the stress fracture was bad enough to avoid walking, I would assume that 20 minutes of low-impact cardio would be entirely safe.

What you ran into is the problem that your increased weight generated more force on your bones while running. Starting out from not exercising at all to running was the likely cause. Once you lose some weight and your bones strengthen up from weight lifting, you'll be perfectly fine to return to running.

I'm actually surprised you didn't get tendinitis, new people will typically develop that from over training before they get stress fractures.

Congrats on getting out there.
>>
>>40002424
honestly i started at 250lbs (im 5'9) and i did C25k, i kept repeating the weeks untill i could run without shinsplints, and just kept going.i made it to week 5, after 4 months of doing it, and that's when the pain happened. I haven't seen a doc since im uninsured, that's why I'm speculating and erring on the side of caution. I've also been weightlifting on alternate days, taking sundays off. I'm down to 228 right now, and I don't wanna lose momentum.
>>
>>40002455

Momentum is incredibly important to everything you do in life. Keep it up.

What are your symptoms, btw?
>>
lol you dont have a fractured fibula. Ive had two fractured fibulas, and trust me youd know it. You wont be able to put any weight on it at all the first few weeks and there will be swelling
>>
>>40002270
>it's actue in onset and it is bone pain, at first i though it was the cold, but when i lasted a few days and migrating to my lateral maleoulus, i realized it is now stressing the talofibular joint
>>40002468
that's all i have to go on. I squat and deadlift regularly. There is something that isn't making sense to me. I have ALWAYS had problems with my left leg (currently "afflicted"), when running, the shin splints develop there first (in the anterior compartment as opposed to medial, which is usually tibial stress fractures) and later on in the run, my right leg develops the splints, so I figured that's due to my right leg over compensating. Even when lacing up and adjusting my shoes, I can't do the same fit for both legs, the left shoe has to ALWAYS be more relaxed and loose, I wouldn't be surprised if that led to the injury. My right leg is absolutely PERFECT, no problems what so ever. I can tie my laces tight and feel extremely comfortable. So i'm not sure what's going on in my leg because I don't feel like a stress fracture is responsible for the initial issues, but I do feel something else is going on that's causing all this.
>>
>>40002497
well there are types of fractures, a stress fracture wouldn't present the same, and the fibula IS a non-weight bearing bone, so it's very prone to stress fractures from over pronation, which I have severely due to my flat feet. Again, this is all suspicion but I want to stay safe.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.