[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shoulders and Chest Don't Work, and Bench Presses Suffer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Is my gym life fucking normal? Please read this shit and see if it makes sense.

>it's chest/shoulder/triceps day
>go do chest on smith machine
>want to do a rep range of 10
>put 45s on each side
>bench 12 reps
>rest
>go again, this time 10 reps,
>rest
>this time 6
>rest
>this time only like 5
>rest
>this time 5 again
>rest for like 2 min
>5 only again.

I seriously feel like I never increase my weight in the bench either. I've been bench pressing seriously for like 3 months now, and I feel like I never get stronger.

Also, after benching, I go do my triceps pull downs and I'm ok on that, but when I go do shoulders, I have like no fucking strength to even do seated dumbell raises. How the fuck can I do shoulders and chest the same day? I feel like I can only do one or the other, but not on the same day.

I thought these two were suppose to be done the same day because they use similar muscles. If I do one day shoulders and the other day chest, won't I prevent the required rest needed to grow?
>>
First of all, don't bench in the smith machine. It's an unnatural movement for your bench press because the bar path is not simply up and down. Learn proper bench form and do it with free weights.

Second, Why the hell are you aiming for five sets with 10 reps? Do you even know how much volume this is for a PPL split like you do? Either Do your 3x8-10, 3x5 or 5x5 but trying to do 5x10 is too much volume. Also rest a bit more if you feel like you're needing it.

Third, your planning is right theoretically. As you are working all three muscle groups at the same time, you should work them on the same day.

Just do this:

3x8-10 Bench Press
3x10-12 Chest Flys
3x8-10 Dips
3x8-10 Shoulder Press
3x10-12 Lateral Flys
>>
>>39992557
how much are you eating
>>
File: img-2.jpg (26KB, 729x423px)
img-2.jpg
26KB, 729x423px
One. Don't use the smith machine, it's time to get onto the bench press.

Two. Progressive overload, you're training at the same weight not only the entire session, but it sounds like every single time you go to the gym. Increase your weight throughout your session, after each set.

Something like this:

1st set: Warm up with bar for 10-15 reps

2nd set 45lbs ea side 135lbs total. 8 reps

3rd set add 35s 205lbs total. 6 reps

4th: 15ea 235lbs total. 3-5 reps

5th 5ea 245lbs total. 1-5 reps.

If you want strength increases naturally you'll want to be doing lower rep ranges at higher weight volume. You want to increase the weight over the course of your bench press and have the rep totals go down as you near your 1 rep max range. Obviously these weights are too heavy for you but the same principle applies, simply adjust the weight to accommodate what you can do.

Lastly, if you're gonna do a split do back/chest as you won't use your triceps much/at all for back movements, whereas your 3 body part split routine you're doing has tricep movements all the time so they are overworked. Train smart anon. Back/chest, just like Arnie.
>>
File: printer.jpg (37KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
printer.jpg
37KB, 640x627px
As others have said, bench press in the smith machine is a waste of time.

Besides that, eat more.

Your volume is also way too high for bench press. 5-8 reps is your target range for hypertrophy.

>If I do one day shoulders and the other day chest, won't I prevent the required rest needed to grow?
Not if you're eating and lifting right.

I do Chest Press and Press on alternative days but if I have enough strength in my chest I'll usually do some Cable Crossovers and flyes on shoulder day
>>
>>39993013
What's the prob with too much volume?
>>
>>39993215
High volume is for endurance. Low volume is for hypertrophy which is presumably what OP is trying to do since he's a noob
>>
>>39993239
Man I'm afraid of too much weight that allows me to easily do lots of volume since I'm always paranoid of tearing a bicep or some shit
>>
>>39993306
Then don't try to grow your muscles. You can't have your cake and eat it too
>>
>>39993601
how do you lift without being paranoid of snapping something then?
>>
>>39993620
Grow a pair
>>
>>39993662
I'd like to see you grow a pair after you've been told you have to head to the surgeon's room?
>>
>>39993620
Proper form and not being a retard

Also grow a pair

Everything in this thread can be answered with Read the sticky
>>
>>39993306
>bicep tear
>on smith machine bench
Time to read the sticky faggot
>>
>>39993908
You're a fucking moron. You know how you don't tear a muscle? Not being a retarded teenager with YOLO MAX OUT DAY BRUH JUST THROW SOME 45S ON THERE.

Grow a fucking pair and fuck off pussy.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.