[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SL 5x5??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 201601_1403_agddb.png (134KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
201601_1403_agddb.png
134KB, 320x320px
Curious about /fit/'s opinion on the StrongLifts 5x5 routine, and or other 5x5 and likewise programs.

For reference, I am a 22 yr old male, 5'10" 190 lbs, I usually sit around 180-185 but dat holiday weight. Nutrition is my downfall, but I will clean that up.

I lift regularly but with no real program or system, rotating through each muscle group once a week. 5 min of cardio before lifting and a warm-up set on my first exercise.

So /fit/ what do you think of the SL 5x5 program, if you're not a fan, please let me know a bit about yourself and what routine is working for you.
>>
Starting Strength is a meme
>>
SL is an inferior version of SS. it's pretty much the same, yet less effective. the two main differences, 5x5 instead of 3x5 and rows instead of power cleans are made because they appeal to beginners, not because they actually make the routine better. it actually makes it worse.
>>
>>39977694
dont listen to this retard
>>
>>39977628
Stronglifts is a solid routine but 5x5 for a top set across is far too much volume in the long run.

SL was my first routine, and I got to a little over 1/2/3/4 pl8 for 3 sets of 5 before moving onto a TM variant.

My routine by the end of it was Stronglifts except 3x5, with dips added to bench day and chins added to deadlift day. On Friday workouts I added curls/tricep isolation work - I found the 2 days off at the end of the week was enough time to recover from the extra volume.

TL;DR Stronglifts is fine, thats why its in the sticky.
>>
>>39978985
I like the way you added dips and chin-ups, along with arm workouts on Fridays. I think I will incorporate your changes into the SL routine, I usually train 4-5 days a week and I think the volume shouldn't be a problem on modified SL
>>
>>39978985
After you deload for the second time your rep range moves from 5x5 to 3x5. The changes helps mentally and volume wise with overcoming plateaus. Works like this:
>Can't get 5x5 on 135 lbs bench 3 sessions in a row
>Deload to 5x5 at 90% (120 lbs)
>Work back up to and past 135
>Stall at 150 this time
>Deload to 3x5 at 90% (135 lbs)
>Easily work back up to and past 150

The extra 5x5 at the beginning helps give you lots of practice and the way rep ranges change after deloads markes breaking through plateaus easier. Also you don't have to do autistic power cleans and your arms will actually grow due to assistance work. Most people who bash Stronglifta don't even know how it works.
>>
>>39981224
You don't need to modify stronglifts. Arm assistance and eventual transitions to 3x5 are ALREADY part of the program.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.