[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fit/ memes that weren't true for you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 307.jpg (72KB, 788x685px) Image search: [Google]
307.jpg
72KB, 788x685px
/fit/ memes you've fallen for that haven't held up in reality

>No one squats or deadlifts at commercial gyms
I go to a commercial gym and plenty of people both squat and deadlift. I have seen deep 3-4 plate squats. Regular full rom 1plate+ overhead press.

>Direct abwork isn't a good idea
I have seen tremendous benefit from adding a few hanging leg raise sets at the end of my workouts.

>Gym trainers give retarded meme advice
This is true to some degree but in my experience most give quite solid advice and well-balanced routines as well as mobility and accessory work
>>
>>39974602
While it is far from the majority who does these two they somehow still seem more common than OHP in my gym(s).
Can anyone explain why people don't do The Press™?
>>
>>39974602
everybody squats because of " XD leg day bro!!!" memes. the other two are only spread here because /fit/ can only do 3x5 barbell training.
>>
>>39974640
Ego
>>
>>39974640
People thinks its sketchy to lift weight over their head even though its safer than squat and bench.

People who have a weak core and thus are weak in general will have to put on baby weight and theyre not okay with that.

>Only do the main barbell movements (Bench, Squat, Deads, OHP and Pendlay Row)
Its actually really beneficial to add in come db bench press, t-bar row, etc. Add in a quick 4x8+ (8-15min) of an accessory exercise right after a Barbell Movement for pump and gain.
>>
>>39974602

This used to be true years ago. Getting fit has gotten more "popular" for lack of a better word. 10 years ago, hardly anyone ever squatted. Now, people proudly wear shirts promoting squats and other compound lifts.

>Direct abwork isn't a good idea
The problem are people who focus solely on ab work for the wrong reasons.
>hurrr let me do 1000 sit ups a day so I can get that six pack but eat like shit still

>Gym trainers give retarded meme advice
This is true to an extent - hit or miss depending on where you go.
>>
>>39974970
Well yeah but i think it's gotten too much to the opposite side.

YES it is retarded to have 6 arm days in a room, but neglecting direct bicep work because there's a meme about curling in the squat rack is fcking retarded.

And ab-work too. Yes obviously abs are made in the kitchen but core work is definitely important.
>>
>>39974940
>safer than bench or squat
Explain. They all seem pretty equal as long as you don't suicide grip and set the safety at the right height
>>
>>39975198
A lot of things can go wrong in a squat even if you have a spotter. If spotter is inexperienced or doesnt actually spot as in he will wait to the last second to catch you its dangerous. Or if you dont keep tightness in your core even when warming it can fuck you up. Someone posted once about warming with a heavy set and hiccuped and fucked him up bad. Or set up safety rails to low and getting potatoed.

As for bench not suicide gripping great reduced the risk but more is still present. Most paramedics called to the gym because of a bench accident. Even if youre experienced a are fully and properly gripping it, the bar could still slip. Omar Isuf grip failed when doing a 300lb + bench and the weight slammed into his chest. That injury is still with him as he talks about it sometimes.

As for OHP its very hard to press a weight that you cant do. You'll know when your last rep is because of the intense grind in the middle of the movement. Even if you were to surpass this and fail the lift overhead, your body instinctively knows not to let go of the weight, but to hold onto it and push it forward and slowly fall with it but still holding it. Your body also knows to pull its head back when the grind of the lift fails.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.