[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: we guess how much weight my homemade bench/squat/pull-up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3372.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3372.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
ITT: we guess how much weight my homemade bench/squat/pull-up station can take before it breaks and kills me.

Inb4 "more than you can lift"
>>
Only one way to find out, cunt.
>>
add another support beam laying across the bottom. Don't want it to split apart.
>>
I only rep 200... can push 240 if I feel like having ac pain for a while. Should be fine...
>>
>>39937645
Intentionally left the floor clear in the center for ease of access for a bench. I understand it comes at the cost of some rigidity but. Seems stable enough just doing muscle ups on it.
>>
Did you incorporate any arches into the design?
>>
>>39937539

The problem isn't what it can support in static, it's what's going to happen if your knee gave out at the top of a squat and the bar crashes down on the "safety"

My guess is that without any bottom bracing across, that a serious enough blow vertically is not a good thing.

If you're bound and determined to use this, add a 2*4 brace as low as possible at the front & back. I'm guessing that the depth from upright to front is ~ 36", and that's way too much room unless you like to take 4-5 steps back. I take one and tap right at 8-10" on my safeties.

This is all assuming that you used proper wood screws, lag bolts, and know how to choose decent framing lumber.

I'd say 600lbs static (with my added bracing & proper hardware), but 250-300 with a dropped bar. As is, 150lbs static assuming you used too short screws and crap lumber
>>
>>39937716
It's made of Nokias
>>
>>39937539
"Local Man Commits Suicide with Homemade Guillotine"

Neighbors say he was a quiet loner they hadn't seen outside in months.
>>
>>39937740

nah, you're thinking of the guy that was using two old beatup (and no longer square) ladders as squat stands.

I think he was resting the bar on the paintcan rests. Somewhere, aluminum barstock was crying in unknown pain
>>
>>39937740
You forgot they heard him scream "light weight baby!"
>>
File: IMG_3374.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3374.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>39937723
Yeah I appreciate that dynamic load limits are always lower. Prrretty sure this will be fine even though some of it is scrap wood.

I'm gonna try it as is. I don't squat much period, and certainly not 600. If I intended to use this for that much, I'd have used 4x4s or angle iron. If I have some brushes with death, I'll consider redesigning. As is, I just like that you can pull in your bench at will, not be limited in its placement by some crossbar on the floor, just a little easier.

The bar at the top is definitely lagged. And definitely long enough. Too long actually. I cut them off and sanded them flat on the other side. Everything else is either 3.5" #10 Spax T20 torqued flush or 2.5" #8 where space would not allow for the bigguns. And there are three joints with 1/2" bolts, split lock washers, torqued like hell. Some of the joints have rabbets. Which ended up being pointless cause I didn't bother with wood glue.
>>
And yeah the safety rack is 49" long. Wanted it to be long enough to catch the bar if I rolled backwards at the bottom of a rep.
>>
>>39937692
well if you can do muscle ups then I suppose it's stable enough.
>>
>>39937988
Can't tell if serious.
>>
>>39937539

>2x4s
>not using superior 3x6s

It's a good starter set up OP, don't get me wrong, but it won't hold the weight that (I assume) it's your goal to lift.
>>
>>39937865

damn
I don't expect that on average around here

Just my opinion, but if you're falling back in the squat then something else is up. A full power rack/cage would take up less space and be far safer even in wood. The downside is that would mean 4*4, but is designed right & stable I'd guess it to be no worse than a thinner gauge 2*2 steel cage
>>
>>39937539
Why not buying a used cage? Is it cheaper to build a wooden one or it was just because you wanted something crafted by your own hands?
>>
>>39937539
>building with wood
Enjoy watching it bow from static weight over time
>>
File: V9FtG9OP.jpg (70KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
V9FtG9OP.jpg
70KB, 768x1024px
>>39938127

I wouldn't trust a used cage, besides what's $500 when you pay $30 bi-weekly at a gym and have to spend at least $20 in gas getting there and back a month.

Pic related, my home gym.
>>
>>39938167
>I wouldn't trust a used cage

>every cage at the gym has been used
>>
>>39938167
Lel my gym is 20 bucks a month and like a mile away. I fucking bike there in the summer.

Where the fuck is your gym.
>>
>>39937734
why wud japan arch be made from fin fones?
>>
>>39938242

brah do you know how much maintenance goes into a gym rack? they have to keep that shit 100% otherwise they get sued if something breaks. you get a CL rack, you don't know what happened to it, you don't know if there's a tear somewhere and it's falling apart. stay safe.
>>
>>39938300
nokia is welsh idiot
>>
>>39938167
I remember having to pay for gas. My department lets me use my issued vehicle to go to the gym and back, and my insurance pays for half my gym membership. Almost makes up for having a job that makes me want to kill myself on a semi-regular basis.
>>
File: 354420.jpg (23KB, 448x299px) Image search: [Google]
354420.jpg
23KB, 448x299px
>>39938326
>ticketed for squatting in a rack with an expired inspection tag
>employees didnt catch the hairline welding crack
>>
The bowing is a good point. Even though the rack loads the 2x4s along their long axis. So they're undergoing compressive forces. Not radial force that wouldn't bend anything. In theory. But. It's simple to guarantee it doesn't get anything over time. I'll unload it after use.

For what I'm using it for I expect it'll be fine. Don't plan to ever bench more than 3-350ish, squat 450ish max. Which I bet this could take. We'll see. If you see me in the paper, I died doing what I love.
>>
>>39938127
Oh and yeah. I like making everything I can myself. I build my own guns. Do my own vehicle maintenance. Would like to build my own house one day.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.